Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Twee as gently caress posted:

Food that feeds drunken snow trash. Someone up there one day drank about 40 beers, and decided that he wanted some cheese and gravy on his french fries, and dump lots of salt on it too :gonk:

Disgusting.

I'm quoting this on the other side of menstrual blood cookies.

Look at those cookies, then think "I thought that fried potato, cheese and gravy was disgusting".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Haggis, the national dish of Scotland.

Sheep's heart, liver and lungs, ground up, mixed with onion, suet, spices, cased inside a sheep's stomach, and boiled for 3-4 hours.

Absofuckinglutely delicious with some mashed potatoes and mashed turnip.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

You want :scotland:? You got it.

Skirlie. Oatmeal and onion, fried in beef dripping. You mix that with a little fat, suet, bread, put it in a sausage casing, you got a white pudding.

Scottish cooking is basically "Find the cheapest ingredients you can, fry it in fat, blot it a little, and enjoy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Besides, last I checked, wasn't out national dish Indian curry of some variety or another?

Tikka Masala, because it was invented in Glasgow. The restaurant that invented it is still open, you can still get the proto-tikka. It's really good, actually.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

"Kapsalon is a Dutch food item consisting of fries, topped with döner or shawarma meat, grilled with a layer of Gouda cheese until melted and then subsequently covered with a layer of dressed salad greens."

It might look awful, but that sounds loving delicious.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm kinda happy now, since I'm in Scotland. Scottish traditional cooking is "Find the cheapest ingredients you can, and either fry or roast them."

I can't even think of anything that would be horrible-sounding outside of haggis. I mean, cullen skink, tattie scones, Arbroath Smokies...all good.

I guess there's Irn-Bru, which constantly terrifies non-natives with it's sugar content. It also outsells Coke in Scotland regularly.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Overminty posted:

Irn-Bru bars are the best thing 10 year old me will ever remember.

I imagine every Scottish dentist wakes up in a cold sweat because of those things.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TurboTax posted:

I think the cheapness factor is the main draw. I've never seen anyone buy it at a supermarket, but a friend of mine who worked at a Wal-Mart in a not-so-great part of Portland said people would often buy several cans of it at once – at something like 89 cents each, it's one of the most cost-efficient ways to fill up a sandwich or make a spread for some crackers.

Potted meat toasted sandwiches is what got me through college. They cost like, a few pence each, yet kept me going for hours.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Corned beef hash.

The cheapest almost-meat money can buy, mashed up with some boiled potatoes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Beans? A true student would realize that corned beef hash and beans are two separate meals.

Replace the beans with ketchup.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

That's probably 1 lb of salt. I can't imagine anyone eating that and enjoying it.

You speak as a man who hasn't made ramen in a kettle.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Corned beef hash is the ground up hangover cure in a can, if you get corned beef it's pastrami without the pepper. Usually a bit thicker slices. Any decent deli has it.

Well, in the UK, corned beef is the stuff in the can, corned beef hash is when you mix said ground up stuff in the can with potatoes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Arbroath Smokies.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The litmus test for a native Scottish person is if they've ever eaten a deep-fried mars bar.

No natives actually have. They're purely for tourists.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

drat it, that's a king rib. Scottish chippys sell those deep-fried.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Since someone mentioned it on the last page, Scottish Tablet. It's basically a slab of sugar, butter and condensed milk boiled together.

It tastes incredible.

It looks a bit like fudge, but the texture is totally different. Fudge is soft and chewy, tablet is kinda powdery and crumbles.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Radio Help posted:

As far as American french fry habits that gross me the gently caress out:

Yes, I realize it's a personal preference thing that puts me at odds with practically every US citizen on the planet. That much straight ketchup is disgusting, and people do it all the time.

Having that much is bad.

I prefer just having a little on the side for dipping.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is this the same thing as clotted cream fudge? If so, that's going on my shopping list tonight.

Nah, fudge is softer and more creamy. Tablet is powdery and brittle.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Somewhat related, but a guy I used to work with swore by Buckfast (a fairly infamous drink in Scotland) and milk. He did warn people that you'd need to drink it swiftly, because it'd curdle otherwise.

Oh good god that's a recipe for swift and violent vomiting.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm on board with chilli waffles. I mean, waffles aren't really sweet or savoury until you add a topping, so I reckon it'd be pretty good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only good German food is Turkish food.

Well, I'm sorry that you've never had currywurst.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Toriori posted:

I love horseradish for the fact it makes a good Caesar a great Caesar. Speaking of which, I guess the Caesar is a pretty gross sounding drink..

Vodka
Clamato Juice (clam broth and tomato juice mixture)
Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco Sauce
Salt & Pepper
Celery Salt
Lime and/or Celery Stock
Jigger or Shot Glass
Cocktail Glass

So you rim the glass with the celery salt, but I've seen people use steak spice, you can also buy pre-made "rimmer" which I prefer because it's more flavorful. You mix all the above in the glass but here's some other things to add to jazz it up, horseradish, pickle brine and a little lemon juice really adds flavour. Then you add your fixins, I like a pepperette, a dill pickle, olives and pickled asparagus but I've seen some pretty intense things like a little cheeseburger or bacon. Tastes delicious and it's my drink of choice but I have to admit that nothing sounds appealing about clamato, horse radish and pickle brine all in the same concoction.

Isn't that just basically a bloody mary? :confused:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Disco Tits posted:

The AB aka after birth. Chips, yiros meat, sour cream, chilli sauce.

:australia:

gently caress that sounds amazing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

As long as spam fritters exist, I will not hear slander against spam.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

A pizza crunch. Cheap, supermarket-bought pizza, battered and deep-fried.

Also featured, Irn-bru, :scotland: condensed into a soft drink.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TurboTax posted:

As far as foods that look like bodily fluids go, I'd say Japanese curry is worse:

Yeah, but Japanese curry is also absofuckinglutely delicious. Katsu curry with rice is one of my favourite meals.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Chow Chow looks a lot like Piccalilli.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

CSM posted:

How To Make Prison Style Sweet and Sour Pork With Andy Roy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sgF97c6DZk

If any recipe is described as "prison style", then when prepared, not even the dude that went to prison wants to eat it, I'm out.

To be fair, I want a series of just wanting him make ersatz food with stuff you can get in prison.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

theironjef posted:

Let's start the watch for when they finally figure out how to cram doritos onto KFC stuff and complete the PepsiCo trinity.

Potato Chip Chicken is absolutely a thing, so it's just a matter of substitution.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

curry ketchup is good though

Currywurst is Germany's best cultural export.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

diabeetz posted:

sushi pizza

I would have guessed this was Japanese, since Japan are really weird about pizza, but by the same token, if you gave them a pizza with sushi on it, they'd probably punch you.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It almost looks like a munchy box

edit:

The munchy box is a national institution :scotland:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember when they called it okonomiyaki.

That's not okonomiyaki though. Okonomiyaki isn't rice, it's basically a pancake with various stuff added. The only thing they have in common is being flat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Now I want an entire thread of prison food recipes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh good lord. Having felt the lavalike temperatures ketchup gets to in a toasted sandwich I can't imagine eating ketchup that had been cooked in the oven for 20 minutes.

Seriously, those things must be like the core of the loving sun. I reckon they're not on the market anymore, since too many people got third-degree burns on the inside of their mouths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Aeryk posted:

I want to know what a green port gummy tastes like.

They're called Wine Gums, they're really common in the UK.

They're pretty nice.

• Locked thread