Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Josuke is the protagonist of part 4, Rohan doesn't even appear before the middle of Part 4 and Josuke has all the biggest fights including the final one, while Rohan only has a few quirky fights.

I thought Koichi was the main character of Part 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wark Say posted:

But the thing with DBZ is that the anime was airing while the manga was still ongoing. Hell, wasn't that the whole reason the battle in Namek feels abysmally endless? The fact that they were catching up mind-numbingly fast? With JoJo they have no such constraints, and for Parts 3 and 4, a lot of the charm is the world-building. I guess they should be able to streamline it without downright butchering anything.

From what I read somewhere (probably 2ch, since they were going apeshit when the anime was airing) Phantom Blood was cut to 9 episodes because of Araki and how he feels slightly "embarrassed" by it. Hell, if anything, Battle Tendency felt almost perfect with the 17 episodes it was given, and they only cut like 2 chapters, tops.

Battle Tendency is considerably less than half the length of Stardust Crusaders, though. 39 episodes seems best.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Introduction episode, Jotaro, Abdul, Joseph
Kakyoin
Tower of Gray, Dark Blue Moon
Polnareff
Strength, Devo
Rubber Soul
J Geil, Hol Horse
Empress
Wheel of Fortune, Sun
Enya
Steely Dan
Death Thirteen
Judgement
Midler
N'Dour, Iggy
Oingo, Boingo
Boingo, Hol Horse
Anubis
Mariah
Alessi
Osiris (the Gambler)
Petshop
Atum (the Gamer)
Kenny G, Vanilla Ice
Dio
Dio

26 episodes. Which of these could justify needing more episodes? Enya, Vanilla Ice, and J. Geil/Hol Horse, maybe.

I could see Darby the Gamer getting 2 eps and Dio getting 3. Having said that, I agree that 26 eps is workable; maybe I was too hasty in preferring 39. I don't think Part 4 can be done in 26, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Actually, this is explained as Jonathan's body developing a stand with the same utility as Hermit Purple. It doesn't really come up again, but it does give Dio and Joseph awareness of when the other one is watching them. I don't think they ever show him using it other than right before everyone boards the plane with Tower of Gray on it, though.

The weird thing about that is that it means The World doesn't actually have anything to do with the Joestars, so The World's similarity to Star Platinum is just a coincidence.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Justin Beiber, Baby - Stand turns user into a baby. You cant attack the baby, because what the gently caress, why would you punch a baby. Everyone gets mad at you for punching a baby and you go to jail.

Death 13's user already has this as a non-Stand ability, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

It seemed more like Venus Flytrap to me. A Stand in a set location that can gently caress you over but you can also use to do crazy stuff when you figure out how it works

You mean Superfly?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

LightningKimba posted:

So far I'm within the middle of Vento Aureo, and I haven't found TOO many issues with it on my binge reading. I enjoy Passione so far with the characters' interactions and personalities, and I don't mind Giorno's attitude since I feel he's a part of the gang, not the main character (Akin to how I felt Jotaro was like overall in Stardust Crusaders - I thought Polnareff and Kakyoin were more interesting to watch rather than him).

I also really-really loved Diamond is Not Crash and I want to see it animated just for Highway Star alone, it really felt like Josuke's greatest hits the whole way.

Vento Aureo is genuinely good for most of it. It just stops making sense toward the end.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Robviously posted:

I feel like this is a more correct sentiment for each part.

I guess that's partly true. The endings of the first Parts 1, 2, 4, and 7 were OK, but then we have Jotaro gaining the ability to stop time out of nowhere, human souls having lightbulbs on the back of their heads, and Pucci gaining ultimate cosmic power by following completely random instructions.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah, the final battle. It's just a bunch of random, weird poo poo happening, and not in the good, Araki-esque way.

Pretty much this. As soon as Silver Chariot Requiem shows up, everything stops making sense.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Except that Jojolion takes place around the same time as Stone Ocean and presumably the end of it did, and the entire Joestar family since then has been laid out with no Irene. Assuming that the star birthmark is exclusive to the Joestar line and barring any sort of extended family shenanigans, they're different.

I'm guessing the person Kira was fused with to create Jo2uke was named Kujo, and Irene is Jo2uke's future daughter.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Then get rid of Part 1 who's not even an entirely different character from Part 3 and put in Diego who is actually a good guy. I'm hoping Diego will make it in but the game is a little over 2 weeks from release and Diego ending up as DLC is going to be annoying when Part 1 Dio is the definition of a DLC character much like Bowie Kira.

Part 1 Dio has completely different abilities from Part 3 Dio. Besides, they needed a final boss for Jonathan in Story Mode.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 13, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

So is it ever explained who it was in Part 4 that saved Josuke as a child and inspired his hairstyle? I figured it was going to be some time travel shenanigans and have it be Josuke himself but Araki seems to have forgotten all about that plot point.

I've only read partway through Part 5 though, so maybe it gets explained further on.

Everyone who reads it assumes that it's time travel at first, but it's just a random guy. A pretty clever twist, in a way.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

A stand that pulls stuff from other points in time. Turn the ground your opponent is on into a primordial sea, rip a platoon of soldiers from the battle this memorial was erected for, stuff like that.

Sounds like Crazy Diamond.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

I just got to the first chapter of Tubular Bells, and I want to poll the thread: What's the most bizarre Stand? 'Cause right now, turning nails into balloon animals that are also actual animals is really wrinkling my brain.

Silver Chariot Requiem. That one made no sense at all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is how King Crimson Works.

Diavolo can skip time for up to 10 seconds. During the skipped time everyone would have done what they would have normally done however when the skip ends they will have no memory what happened during the skip. Diavolo can freely move during the skipped time but is incapable of interacting with anything allowing stuff like bullets to go right through him. Once he ends the skipped time he can interact with the world again. He also has epitaph which allows him to see 10 seconds into the future.

Using the future sight and time skip his main tactic is to position himself were his opponent is most vulnerable, end the skip then punch a hole through them with King Crimson's A ranked strength.

This is the best explanation of King Crimson I've ever seen.

Now could someone explain Silver Chariot Requiem and Bohemian Rhapsody?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

KKK bounty hunter taking a hit job from a black man to lynch a whitest guy with a black ancestry.

Pucci isn't black, he's just drawn that way. Guy's clearly supposed to be Italian. But yes, it's kind of ironic.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Pucci, Pearla, and Weather are all siblings. They're all half black, half italian. Pucci was just the only one who actually got the skin tone.

No, they just thought Weather had black ancestry because his adoptive father was black.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Be sure to read the newer translations of Part 5; the older ones seem good but outright make things up in places.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

Part 5 suffers from a lot of planning problems, and Giorno's character suffers from that the most. I went back and reread up through the fight with Ghiacchio before getting distracted by something, and I have this thought that Giorno may have started out as Araki wanting to write a Dio pastiche as the lead protagonist. Giorno shares a lot of qualities with his dad like a heavy desire to rise to the top, a past with abusive parents, being a streetwise scamp that got by on his wits until he gets his big break, an inexplicably powerful charisma that makes others want to follow him (Bruno, Fugo, and Mista say something about this after they've fought alongside him) and the ability to unlock potential and confidence in others like all the little things he does during the fight with Ghiacchio that enable Mista to do the cool poo poo.

The problem is that the idea isn't followed through, but to Araki's credit, I don't know that you could do it well. A main character who's primary function is to make everyone else be cooler probably isn't going to be that interesting himself. And the charisma thing doesn't work because the characters affected by it just say that he is. That worked with Dio because he was enigmatic and other characters talking about how great he was fueled our desire to know what exactly was so great, but Giorno is always around. Only saying how charismatic he is doesn't work when you can see he really isn't.

And because he's the enabler of cool poo poo rather than the one doing it, he's not really that involved in his own story. Part 5 is ostensibly about Giorno becoming the boss of Passione, but it's more about Bruno's quest to put Giorno on the throne to stop Diavolo's corruption and save Trisha because he relates to her tragedy. Hell, Bruno even usurps the charisma thing because, as we learn through the other boys' backstory, they all joined the mob because he was such a cool dude saving them from their various poo poo lives. It really all falls apart after the first fight with Diavolo because everyone gets on the boat because of how much they believe in Bruno. Giorno is guiding Bruno, but Bruno is why anyone cares. Giorno and the character traits he had early on keep fading further into the background as the story goes.

Luckily, Bruno is a worthwhile protagonist and the fights are still largely good save some missteps with people getting powers that just happened to solve the problem. The fight on the train is one of my favorite fights in the whole series, I've always liked Narancia's way of dealing with Formaggio when he couldn't find him anymore, Giorno even gets a cool moment fighting Soft Machine for all the bemoaning I just did, and others. There's a lot of cool ideas in Part 5. They're just not well thought out enough.

I've sometimes thought that Worm, of all things, has elements of "what Venteo Aureo could have been." For instance, it's interesting to see what happens when you examine the morality of someone like Giorno. There's even a villain with a power similar to Gold Experience Requiem.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554789&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 13, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

So GER really WASN'T affected by Stairway!

I've never been a fan of this idea. Everyone else in Jojo who acquires seemingly ultimate power eventually loses anyway; Giorno shouldn't be an exception.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Without the backstory from Phantom Blood, Dio is kind of underwhelming for most of Stardust Crusaders. He spends most of the arc reading in bed while sending his minions against the heroes 1-2 at a time for some reason. People tend to forget that because he acquits himself well during the final fight.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wasn't this chapter a bit short for a monthly series?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I always thought it was kind of lame that Silver Chariot Requiem and Gold Experience Requiem were called that, instead of "upgrading the materials" of their base Stands to something like Gold Chariot and Platinum Experience.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

various bits in part 4 like characters suddenly becoming shorter

That's not a retcon. It just symbolizes Koichi's changed perception of them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I would consider Star Platinum inhaling Justice to be a legitimate application of humanoid form + superhuman strength; it makes sense that it would have strong lungs. And I'll attribute bringing stuff into the cell despite its short range to SP stealing stuff out of the guards' hands/pockets as they pass by. Time stopping came out of nowhere, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 10, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

swamp izzo posted:

Why are they even renaming stands for a video game? Doesn't the use fall under parody?

References aren't the same as parody. I'm not sure whether a musician who sued would actually have a leg to stand on legally, but they would prefer to not have to fight it out in court.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

Mob needs a front.

Speaking of Passione, once Giorno got them out of the drug racket, what do you think they did? Protection racket from "rogue" stand users?

I thought Giorno didn't object to drug dealing in general, just selling drugs to children.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Only if Araki has learned how to draw black people.

It's kinda weird that as his art style developed his ability to draw black people has gotten worse. So, so much worse.

He was never very good at drawing black people to begin with. The anime improved Smokey's design considerably.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Surprisingly, the LN sequel to Part 5, Purple Haze Feedback has an actually good translation. It's the only Jojo LN that's been translated, I believe. The story is pretty good too. It really gives me a better sense of the character personalities than the actual Part 5 did (at least in translation). I also get a sense that the author really understands Italy, instead of sort of idealizing it the way Araki sometimes seems to.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 8, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Star Platinum posted:

Part 5's translation is decent up to the White Album fight. You should at least get to the Grateful Dead, it's one of the best fights in the series.

Only if you mean the new translation.

http://silencedrowns.tumblr.com/image/19618206929

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Speaking of Part 7, is that the only part where non-stand users defeat stand-users?

I think so, although Part 3's Oingo Boingo has Stand users who weren't using their Stands at the time and didn't even know they were being attacked defeat other Stand users who were actually trying.

Edit: Actually, Part 4 has Reimi the ghost girl finishing off Kira instead of any of the Stand users.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

How did alternate universe people get stands without the christparts?

From the diamonds, I assume.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

How is that finishing him off when he's already dead? Wouldn't the fire truck driver count anyways?

Fair point. I think she still gets credit for Cheap Trick, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

amuayse posted:

Since it's implied that a large part of Passione are stand users and we see only a small number of the members, why haven't they taken over all of Italy?

They had to keep a low enough profile that people like Jotaro wouldn't go over to Italy and kill them. There's also logistical issues to taking over a country that small-scale combat powers don't solve. And Stand users aren't totally invincible even against non-Stand users.

A better question is why people like Josuke don't reveal their powers to the world and make lots of money from them legitmately.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 14, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nilbop posted:

I've been really enjoying the current season of the anime. It's also the first anime I've been watching consistently in forever. Has anyone got any recommendations for another show that's pretty similar, and preferably new?

Hunter x Hunter, maybe?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That should be everyone ambition in life.

On a different note, I just became aware that all of the major villains in JJBA (up to Part VI anyway) have Stands that deal with affecting time.

Except for Cars. He doesn't have a Stand at all (the Jorge Joestar novel doesn't count).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fiend Computer posted:

That was a really good ending to the fight. I really wish that it could have been done in a few less chapters though.

I still totally think that Norisuke is alternate universe Joseph, and the fact that it looks like we are fighting alt. pillar men supports this so far.

It's a bit odd when you consider that Magenta Magenta already seems to be the alternate universe version of Cars.

Since Norisuke IV's birth name was Josuke, he's probably the alternate universe Josuke, not Joseph. Gappy probably isn't actually a Josuke counterpart; after all, half of him is Kira.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zorak posted:

Don't forget that the Joestar family (at least that daughter who is playing the maid) also thinks that the family is up to no good either.

Counterpoint: She also has a high opinion of her brother Kira, who has been known to trick people into biting their own fingers off just because he can. I don't trust her judgment.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I unironically want to read this now, since this sounds like the funniest poo poo ever.

Edit: Speaking of side novels, is Purple Haze Feedback any good?

I liked Purple Haze Feedback; it has some good fights involving some suitably bizarre new Stands, and I got a better sense of the personalities of the Venteo Aureo characters than I did from the existing translations of Venteo Aureo. There's also a sense that the author really knows things about Italy (as opposed to Araki himself, who sometimes seems to idealize it). The "drugs are bad, mmmkay" thing was a bit overdone, and Giorno (though a relatively minor character in the novel) comes across as slightly Mary Sueish, but I still definitely recommend it.

The other translated side novel is Over Heaven, which is Dio's diary. It's a character piece rather than a fighting-oriented story. It does a pretty good job of making sense of Dio's somewhat inconsistent canon characterization, but a lot of it is essentially rehashing the events of Phantom Blood and Stardust Crusaders. I wouldn't call it bad, but people who like the manga won't necessarily like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Doesn't Over Heaven try to characterize Dio as more of a tragic figure who, among other weird things, actually liked his dad?

Sort of. The older Dio says that he sort-of liked his dad when he was very young for what he now recognizes as stupid reasons. I wouldn't call Over Heaven's interpretation of Dio "tragic." It's more than he's...mellowed since the events of Part 1, while still being clearly evil and somewhat insane.

• Locked thread