Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Not that I've seen. I don't remember where the new translations end, either, but I think they do end when the higher quality scans stop.

Don't be confused either. The old translations, unlike Duwang, had proper grammar most of the time. Doesn't make the translation more correct. Just easier to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

onepixeljumpman posted:

Don't be confused either. The old translations, unlike Duwang, had proper grammar most of the time. Doesn't make the translation more correct. Just easier to read.

Honestly, after the point where the new scans for part 4 end, the Duwang translations get at least somewhat accurate. It just takes a while to parse it through the bad grammar.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

dudermcbrohan posted:

You really should read five at some point. I think it's really good it just gets kinda confusing and kinda drags in the last couple chapters.

I fully intend to, I just heard Part 5 is the worst of the parts and Giorno is even more boring than Jonathan. I wanted to get to part 6 where everything is loving awesome. So far it seems pretty cool (just got to Foo Fighters), though I hear Hermes goes the way of Okuyasu. :(

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Some one has been lying to you. No one is more boring than Jonathan.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Part 5 isn't that bad. Might be the worst of the Jojo arcs but even a bad Jojo arc is better than most manga.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
I get why people don't like vento aureo but it's not as bad as phantom blood and giorno is a fine jojo. It also has one of my favorite party of good guys in the whole series.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Momomo posted:

I fully intend to, I just heard Part 5 is the worst of the parts and Giorno is even more boring than Jonathan. I wanted to get to part 6 where everything is loving awesome. So far it seems pretty cool (just got to Foo Fighters), though I hear Hermes goes the way of Okuyasu. :(

It isn't that Girono is boring, it's just that his mafia gang is tenfolds more interesting. It doesn't help that his stand power ends up being a Deus ex Machina

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Part 5 was always a drag for me because of the poorly explained stands. Aside from the initial King Crimson confusion there was the whole Gold Experience having its powers be all over the place.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Phantom Blood is definitely the worst of the JoJo series, but that is not saying a lot for Vento Aureo. Phantom Blood is painfully generic even for its time and the only things it really has going for it are a rad villain and a few of the side characters being cool. Part 5 is significantly better, but also is the worst offender of Araki booking himself into a corner because of how dumb some of the stands get so he literally has to bullshit solutions and I'm not just talking about GER. It's also got Giorno who's boring as all hell and given barely any focus in favor of Buccellati who is a million times cooler with a better stand (This was the right decision). Although it also falls under pacing issues where poo poo will just happen, it sort of feels like it's supposed to be harkening back to Part 3 where the story was a sprawling adventure where enemies would come out of the woodwork to fight them, the problem with Part 5 is most of those enemies along with their crazy stands don't have nutty personalities that make them fun beyond their stand. Most of the enemies in Part 5 are only recognized by their stands to the point where people will mistake their character as their stand (Ghiaccio is the best example of this and he's actually one of the more polarizing characters). The central group isn't that interesting either really, Narancia and Buccellati are cool, but Abbachio doesn't really have a lot of focus and when he does he's sort of generic, Mista has his moments but again has very little focus, Trish only exists as a plot device, and hahahaha Fugo.

That being said in Part 5's favor it has some of the best fights in the series, hilarious shenanigans, bizarre mafioso tendencies, and when the stands aren't stupidly overpowered, they're really loving good like Grateful Dead or Aerosmith. It's the worst of the Stand series', but it's still better than a lot of manga and worth reading if only for the fact is insanely popular in Japan and only trumped by Part 3 in popularity over there. Why? I have to assume it's because of the Boy Band Mafia.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
Part 5 stands gave me a big headache, but they looked really nice. I do think that Mista has more focus than Narancia though, I actually really prefer the part 5 gang to the part 3 gang. A lot of the times in part 3 and 4 the stand battles would be only 1 on 1 and none of the stands would really interact with each other, I think at part 5 Araki finally understood how to make the stands synchronize with each other and overcome a bad guy rather than have a guy be alone and end up in a fight and overcome it by figuring out something, now it takes at least 2 people to figure it out.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Part 5 suffers from a lot of planning problems, and Giorno's character suffers from that the most. I went back and reread up through the fight with Ghiacchio before getting distracted by something, and I have this thought that Giorno may have started out as Araki wanting to write a Dio pastiche as the lead protagonist. Giorno shares a lot of qualities with his dad like a heavy desire to rise to the top, a past with abusive parents, being a streetwise scamp that got by on his wits until he gets his big break, an inexplicably powerful charisma that makes others want to follow him (Bruno, Fugo, and Mista say something about this after they've fought alongside him) and the ability to unlock potential and confidence in others like all the little things he does during the fight with Ghiacchio that enable Mista to do the cool poo poo.

The problem is that the idea isn't followed through, but to Araki's credit, I don't know that you could do it well. A main character who's primary function is to make everyone else be cooler probably isn't going to be that interesting himself. And the charisma thing doesn't work because the characters affected by it just say that he is. That worked with Dio because he was enigmatic and other characters talking about how great he was fueled our desire to know what exactly was so great, but Giorno is always around. Only saying how charismatic he is doesn't work when you can see he really isn't.

And because he's the enabler of cool poo poo rather than the one doing it, he's not really that involved in his own story. Part 5 is ostensibly about Giorno becoming the boss of Passione, but it's more about Bruno's quest to put Giorno on the throne to stop Diavolo's corruption and save Trisha because he relates to her tragedy. Hell, Bruno even usurps the charisma thing because, as we learn through the other boys' backstory, they all joined the mob because he was such a cool dude saving them from their various poo poo lives. It really all falls apart after the first fight with Diavolo because everyone gets on the boat because of how much they believe in Bruno. Giorno is guiding Bruno, but Bruno is why anyone cares. Giorno and the character traits he had early on keep fading further into the background as the story goes.

Luckily, Bruno is a worthwhile protagonist and the fights are still largely good save some missteps with people getting powers that just happened to solve the problem. The fight on the train is one of my favorite fights in the whole series, I've always liked Narancia's way of dealing with Formaggio when he couldn't find him anymore, Giorno even gets a cool moment fighting Soft Machine for all the bemoaning I just did, and others. There's a lot of cool ideas in Part 5. They're just not well thought out enough.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

onepixeljumpman posted:

Part 5 suffers from a lot of planning problems, and Giorno's character suffers from that the most. I went back and reread up through the fight with Ghiacchio before getting distracted by something, and I have this thought that Giorno may have started out as Araki wanting to write a Dio pastiche as the lead protagonist. Giorno shares a lot of qualities with his dad like a heavy desire to rise to the top, a past with abusive parents, being a streetwise scamp that got by on his wits until he gets his big break, an inexplicably powerful charisma that makes others want to follow him (Bruno, Fugo, and Mista say something about this after they've fought alongside him) and the ability to unlock potential and confidence in others like all the little things he does during the fight with Ghiacchio that enable Mista to do the cool poo poo.

The problem is that the idea isn't followed through, but to Araki's credit, I don't know that you could do it well. A main character who's primary function is to make everyone else be cooler probably isn't going to be that interesting himself. And the charisma thing doesn't work because the characters affected by it just say that he is. That worked with Dio because he was enigmatic and other characters talking about how great he was fueled our desire to know what exactly was so great, but Giorno is always around. Only saying how charismatic he is doesn't work when you can see he really isn't.

And because he's the enabler of cool poo poo rather than the one doing it, he's not really that involved in his own story. Part 5 is ostensibly about Giorno becoming the boss of Passione, but it's more about Bruno's quest to put Giorno on the throne to stop Diavolo's corruption and save Trisha because he relates to her tragedy. Hell, Bruno even usurps the charisma thing because, as we learn through the other boys' backstory, they all joined the mob because he was such a cool dude saving them from their various poo poo lives. It really all falls apart after the first fight with Diavolo because everyone gets on the boat because of how much they believe in Bruno. Giorno is guiding Bruno, but Bruno is why anyone cares. Giorno and the character traits he had early on keep fading further into the background as the story goes.

Luckily, Bruno is a worthwhile protagonist and the fights are still largely good save some missteps with people getting powers that just happened to solve the problem. The fight on the train is one of my favorite fights in the whole series, I've always liked Narancia's way of dealing with Formaggio when he couldn't find him anymore, Giorno even gets a cool moment fighting Soft Machine for all the bemoaning I just did, and others. There's a lot of cool ideas in Part 5. They're just not well thought out enough.

Not to mention that Trish gets to fight all of once, albeit against what is arguably one of the strongest enemies in the series.

My main beef with Giorno was that I felt like some of his powers just seemed to disappear and get replaced with other powers that weren't there before. The "turning things into living creatures" became "able to turn parts into spare body parts for people" and the whole "hitting something giorno made alive will reflect the damage back to you" thing never came up again I don't think after the fight with Koichi. I'm not sure what happened with his punches giving so much life that other people slowed down mentally and experienced the hit super slowly either, though thinking about it the ability of golden experience requiem to put you in a constant state of never ending pain and suffering seems like an extension of that.

Edit: Also Giorno had the really really smart idea of driving into water while fighting a dude whose stand let him freeze water. Real smooth man. Real smooth. Abbacchio was mostly around for moving the plot forward I figured since there's pretty much always a character in jojo who exists for that purpose. It's a shame he never got to do much outside of that since it's a punchman manga so of course the dude whose stand is explicitly not combat oriented and is extremely weak to combat is going to be stuck in the sidelines while everybody else gets to do cool stuff :(

Edit: vvv It's definitely a logical extension of the ability to create life from things, I just was never sure why he suddenly lost the ability to reflect damage when making spare tongues and hands :v: Even when he made a snake to attack Melone I think it was the snake itself that killed Melone and not any reflected damage, unless I'm misremembering. Either way, I'm just trying to say that it always bugged me how some of Giorno's abilities seemed to just disappear.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 13, 2014

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

The "turning things into living creatures" became "able to turn parts into spare body parts for people"

I thought that was a logical progression of that ability and it helps to make gold experience's healing different from crazy diamond's. Giorno's healing being hosed up really appeals to me for some reason though.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Phantom Blood is definitely the worst of the JoJo series, but that is not saying a lot for Vento Aureo. Phantom Blood is painfully generic even for its time and the only things it really has going for it are a rad villain and a few of the side characters being cool. Part 5 is significantly better, but also is the worst offender of Araki booking himself into a corner because of how dumb some of the stands get so he literally has to bullshit solutions and I'm not just talking about GER. It's also got Giorno who's boring as all hell and given barely any focus in favor of Buccellati who is a million times cooler with a better stand (This was the right decision). Although it also falls under pacing issues where poo poo will just happen, it sort of feels like it's supposed to be harkening back to Part 3 where the story was a sprawling adventure where enemies would come out of the woodwork to fight them, the problem with Part 5 is most of those enemies along with their crazy stands don't have nutty personalities that make them fun beyond their stand. Most of the enemies in Part 5 are only recognized by their stands to the point where people will mistake their character as their stand (Ghiaccio is the best example of this and he's actually one of the more polarizing characters). The central group isn't that interesting either really, Narancia and Buccellati are cool, but Abbachio doesn't really have a lot of focus and when he does he's sort of generic, Mista has his moments but again has very little focus, Trish only exists as a plot device, and hahahaha Fugo.

That being said in Part 5's favor it has some of the best fights in the series, hilarious shenanigans, bizarre mafioso tendencies, and when the stands aren't stupidly overpowered, they're really loving good like Grateful Dead or Aerosmith. It's the worst of the Stand series', but it's still better than a lot of manga and worth reading if only for the fact is insanely popular in Japan and only trumped by Part 3 in popularity over there. Why? I have to assume it's because of the Boy Band Mafia.

Part 5 enemies don't have nutty personalities? Need I remind you of Cioccolatta?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

dudermcbrohan posted:

I thought that was a logical progression of that ability and it helps to make gold experience's healing different from crazy diamond's. Giorno's healing being hosed up really appeals to me for some reason though.

I like how by part six healing the heroes has become totally inexplicable. Just Cram Some Plankton In The Wound

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

I like how by part six healing the heroes has become totally inexplicable. Just Cram Some Plankton In The Wound

Or Part 7 where they're just like "yeah Naples had some magic string they had flown in to the US." which seemed to let them use any kind of string later on to heal up wounds. Hot Pants handled the rest. Do we actually have a team medic character for JoJolion yet?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Or Part 7 where they're just like "yeah Naples had some magic string they had flown in to the US." which seemed to let them use any kind of string later on to heal up wounds. Hot Pants handled the rest. Do we actually have a team medic character for JoJolion yet?

Do they ever say if spin has healing capabilities? And they haven't showed the medic character for JoJolion yet to my knowledge.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think other then GRE I think Gold Experiences powers made sense. It was creating life and flesh.

Giorno does apparently have more a personality back in japan. He very arrogant for example. He says "I, Giorno" like his father's "I, Dio". The I Giorno/Dio is a translation of Kono Giorno/Dio. Kono "Your name" is a really conceited to refer to yourself in japan.

The fact the sucky translation does not have one I Giorno as far as I can see takes a part of his personality out.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Pretty sure the sucky translation always had his catchphrase (kono Giorno Giovanna yume ga aru!) as the accurate and 'I, Giorno'-ly: "I, Giorno Giovanna have a dream!"

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

dudermcbrohan posted:

Do they ever say if spin has healing capabilities?

Yes and no. The Zeppeli family in this universe are both medics and executioners. They use their knowledge of the human body as doctors to execute swiftly. However, Spin doesn't solve all wounds like the Zombie Horse. Instead, it just modifies body parts to enhance them or rip them to shreds(quite literally). Johnny notices this properties and follows Gyro in hopes that he is right about it. It takes awhile for Johnny to figure this out, and when he does, he gets to walk. You could say Part 7 is about Johnny's slow and long journey to rehab, and his prize is getting his two legs back.

In all honesty, Part 7 is an arc you have to read in one go to appreciate it. I'd say it's what Part 1 should have been.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Part 5 enemies don't have nutty personalities? Need I remind you of Cioccolatta?

There's a few here and there, but for the most part you aren't going to remember characters like Polpo, Melone, Illuso, Sale, etc. because a lot of the enemies are just so low key and one note they're not really worth remembering. I think the only enemy in Part 5 that's low key, but not one note is Prosciutto and the dude literally tanks falling into train treads and remains alive long enough to give one last "gently caress you" to Buccellati as he's fighting Pesci, god that train fight was so drat good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

I've sometimes thought that Worm, of all things, has elements of "what Venteo Aureo could have been." For instance, it's interesting to see what happens when you examine the morality of someone like Giorno. There's even a villain with a power similar to Gold Experience Requiem.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554789&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 13, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

FirstAidKite posted:

Well, there hasn't been a particularly bloody fight yet. There's been a bit of body horror, naturally, but nothing as gratuitously violent as the Survivor & Planet Waves fight followed up immediately with Dragon's Dream.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Some very cool person put together a Roundabout ED for Part 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoyg3zWeX5U

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Some very cool person put together a Roundabout ED for Part 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoyg3zWeX5U

There's an updated version in the related links that has a lead-in from the part 2 ending and (some) manga images of the characters.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Actually that gave me a pretty cool idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWeae36ka9s

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

If they don't use Roundabout again I'm going to be very disappointed. :colbert:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Roundabout is cool and all but they need to mix it up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Actually that gave me a pretty cool idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWeae36ka9s

If they use any Dio song it should be Rainbow in the Dark :colbert:

I forget when I found this video but I thought it was pretty well made. I've never heard of the anime it's a redraw of but whoever redid the animation did a swell enough job I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iK3dGzX3ZM

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Momomo posted:

I figured the way they were having Koichi mature, he'd be really vital to taking Kira down, but it didn't actually happen.

This was from a bit back but, uh, are you forgetting the big finish for Part 4? Koichi is the sole reason Kira lost.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

If they use any Dio song it should be Rainbow in the Dark :colbert:

I forget when I found this video but I thought it was pretty well made. I've never heard of the anime it's a redraw of but whoever redid the animation did a swell enough job I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iK3dGzX3ZM

I watch this on a regular basis.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

This was from a bit back but, uh, are you forgetting the big finish for Part 4? Koichi is the sole reason Kira lost.

I remember Jotaro freezing time and accidentally getting him run over. If Koichi did something, I've forgotten.

Also Echo Act 3 seemed like it was a downgrade but that's a different matter.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Momomo posted:

I remember Jotaro freezing time and accidentally getting him run over. If Koichi did something, I've forgotten.

Also Echo Act 3 seemed like it was a downgrade but that's a different matter.

Kira was about to press the "detonator" which would have set off Another One Bites the Dust, but Koichi weighted his hand down with Echoes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Jotaro's time stop wasn't long enough for him to reach Kira before he could trigger Bite the Dust. It is only because Koichi was there with Echoes Act 3 that he got in range to do his thing. Jotaro even thanks Koichi mentally as he prepares to finish off Kira.

There's a big spread and a giant "drat YOUUUUUU" from Kira and everything, kind of an important thing to forget. :v:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Even so, you'd think an entire story arc would be building up to more than a single attack like that. He really could've done the same thing even with the first Echo, even if it was just making his ears hurt too much to press the button.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It was a callback to Kira's first fight, where Echoes Act 3 soundly defeats Sheer Heart Attack. And Echoes Act 1 would require Koichi to straight up paint some words onto Kira, which really isn't happening in the like two seconds they had to stop him. Hell, I think a big thing about Act 3 was that it was way faster too, as a reflection of Koichi's growth as a person.

As far as side character moments go, "being the sole reason the good guys won" is pretty big. Not really sure what else you could want. A big fight scene? Koichi and Jotaro already had one (and they basically won).

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 16, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Koichi's character growth happened with all of the Yukako stuff and the first Kira fight. He goes from being an idiot who got Jotaro royally messed up in their first fight with Kira to being the key thing to stopping Kira dead in his tracks. It's such a callback to that fight too, because it's even the same hand Koichi slammed into the ground when he slapped SHA with Echoes 3 the first time. Koichi is a very milquetoast character, but like he does get development and does have a character arc that is followed through on, he's not just forgotten.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I used to say I was gonna wait for the re-translation before re-reading parts 4 and 5 but it's been years since they started and there's no progress in sight. Why can't manga translation groups ever keep it together? :smith:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kira also lost because lady luck was tired of him saying that luck was always on Yoshikage Kiras side. Seriously he died purely due to luck. He was seen injured and people called an ambulance to help him. When he lost the knocked down by Jotaro the ambulance that was called to help him come and hit him by pure chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
What's up with that girl that follows the gang around in the first half of part 3?

• Locked thread