Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Falken posted:

Thing is though, if Touhou games were on steam I'd be buying them. Kerbal Space Program (oi, paging Dr. Sunshine.) was put on steam recently and it shot through the charts so I would imagine given the vast playerbase of western Touhou fans it'd work incredibly well.

I know I promised. :blush: Stupidly enough, it's because I started playing Kerbal Space Program again to get inspiration and ended up getting sucked into it, haha!

But you know, isn't it because of some kind of licensing or copyright issue that ZUN doesn't want to sell his game on Steam? I heard that somewhere back in one of the older threads the last time the issue came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Apparently, Gensokyo's human village is a town transported from the Old West and given a Japanese facade. I am not opposed to this.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mohammed as a girl in a frilly dress and headscarf.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Namtab posted:

It's more like Reimu respects the gods, but unlike Sanae she doesn't spend all her time on it. It's not that she's not spiritual, it's more that she kinda takes the gods for granted.

Reimu is the deepest character, she takes some time to really get.

:stare:

Man, using the concepts "Deepest character" and "Touhou" in the same context just gives me the most massive case of cognitive dissonance. -- are you saying this unironically?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"We're off to see the wizard! The wonderful wizard of Gensokyo!"

v-Yes indeed!-v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 24, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE KAPPA BEHIND THE CURTAIN!"

And at the end of it all, Marisa steals Sanae's ruby geta :v:

And she was all ready to go do the "No place like home" thing and return back to New York City where she came from, but that loving Marisa!!! Now she's stuck in Gensokyo forever! :argh:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HM actually stands for "Halloween Mask". The girl is wearing a pumpkin for a dress, and is surrounded by floating will-o'-the-wisp ghosts.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yes, I'm reasonably (95% CI) confident that the new game will A) take place in Gensokyo, and B) involve girls in frilly outfits.

However, this begs the question:

Where is Gensokyo?

Hold on! Let me Google it...

...I don't think I can get there by public transit. :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Artificer posted:

It's simple. Ride around on a train until it happens to be the one that Yukari summons out of her portal, then in that split second JUMP THE gently caress OUT.

Good luck. I am eating dirt with Reimu as I type this.

How many bars do you get in Gensokyo? Does the network there have at least 3G coverage? I cannot live without my mobile connection.

EDIT: Is it safe there? The Lonely Planet Guide says there's a problem with rampant public drunkenness and meth.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 28, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

There should be an autofire toggle button. Just tap "G" or something, and it'll automatically continue firing shots until you tap it again, thus leaving you free to concentrate on dodging and bombing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clarste posted:

Well, Marissa with two 's's is a fairly common name in the Anglosphere. I have to admit that even I pronounce it like that in my head.

Wait, so it's not pronounced Muh-RISS-suh? That's always how I pronounced it, extra "s" or not.

Hmm...If Gensokyo was set in Mexico, would Marisa be Marisol? :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"Who's that boy, wanna be amigo? Carlito! Carlito!"

PerrineClostermann posted:

I haven't seen that in ages. Now I can't help but imagine a 4kids adaptation of Touhou.

I can't help but imagine a hip and happenin' rap intro to 4Kids Presents: Touhou.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Casull posted:

Marisa becomes Melissa and Reimu becomes Reye Hackray.

(I don't know how to localize Kirisame.)

Christianssen. Melissa Christianssen.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wait, Sakuya isn't a human? What is she then?

A Time Lord? :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

It looks more like a long red hood instead of red hair, though.

Red Riding Hood is now a Touhou character. She got lost on the way to Grandma's house.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HGH posted:

Man, look at that evil cape. She looks like a silly RPG villain now.

Also, her special ability icon is... a dumb old meme?

Seems like the way this works is that Miko actually uses popularity to power up, and when her popularity is low she'll be weaker. Her cape changes colour as this happens as well. Last Word is a giant laser sword that slices through the middle of the screen.

It would be cool if she could actually summon those guys as an assist.

Also, n'th-ing the opinion that Alphes is kind of a terrible artist. He's good at making exactly one cute face, possibly making the ;) expression, but everything else is just a lot of polish on some poor fundamentals. Of course, I shouldn't be one to judge, but I know stubby arms and sausage fingers when I see 'em.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 19, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm rather disappointed at this. All the fighting games had previously assiduously avoided this sort of fighting game trope, and it's unfortunate that they decided to start with this sort of thing now.

Nitori's gadget copter rocks, though.

EDIT: Goddamnit, now I have the Inspector Gadget theme in my head. It'll be forever associated with Nitori in my mind from now on.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 26, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

I just realized that for the last 4 main TH games, each has had the first three bosses be 2 with bare heads and one with some kind of headwear, and only Yuyuko as a repeating character has had a hat. For years, the demos have not given us a single new hat to marvel at. Where are the hats Zun? You can't short-change us like this!

I am still waiting for the Touhou with a bonnet or a nun's wimple.

But the problem with these, I guess, is that they'd make it hard to see the :smug::downs: faces.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Holy poo poo :stare: It seems that the original movie is called Hobo With A Shotgun, and is something I must track down immediately.

You hadn't seen it? It's one of the many fake movie trailers that came with Tarantino and Rodriguez's Grindhouse double-feature, that got made into an actual movie.

It's got many schlocky over the top scenes, like this one. It's great!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HellCopter posted:

Stop saying SA, it makes me think there is somehow a Something Awful/Touhou crossover.

Who am I kidding, it probably already exists.

Judging by all the avatars, that would be this thread!

SirPhoebos posted:

DrSunshine, you know what you must do! :japan:

No that would be dumb. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Takoluka posted:

Who is the gooniest Touhou?

Patchouli, of course! She stays in the mansion all day eating chips and getting fat, cooped up in that library.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Artificer posted:

My God. We love Touhou so much because touhous ARE US. :catstare:

Not until ZUN makes a Touhou who wears a fedora and has a sword of finest Hanzo steel.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clarste posted:

Youmu doesn't have a hat, does she? Tenshi has a hat and sword, but the sword is made of magic insted of steel so I'm not sure if that counts. There are a few other swords, but they're generally hatless...

The ratio of hatless Touhous relative to hatted Touhous has been increasing with respect to time. If this trend continues, by 2099, more than 90% of all Touhous will not have hats.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This is impossible. :colbert:

Everyone knows that if a hatted-Touhou lost her hat she would die. It contains all her vital life-functions, much like the cephalon of a squid, cuttlefish, or octopus. Including the very important danmaku-excretion organ.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Question: Is Sakuya capable of time travel? If so, is it both backwards and forwards, or just one of the two? Or does she only produce temporal stasis? Is her stasis effect universal, or is it restricted to a localized temporal distortion?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

According to the wiki her PMISS profile says she has the ability to reverse time but is unable to violate causality, which would strongly limit what she could do with time-reversal.

Aww. :sigh:

See I was thinking it'd be fun to draw a short story comic involving time travel and paradoxes that'd wind up with about 4 copies of Sakuya coexisting at once-- the "present Sakuya", one from the future, one from the past, and one from the future-Sakuya's past that is still in the future for the present Sakuya.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clarste posted:

One of her skills cards in Soku is "Time Paradox" where she sends forward a time clone to hit the enemy with a dash attack. One of her spellcards in IN is "Deflation World" where she summons the past and future of all her knives into the present. And don't get me started on "Imaginary Vertical Time". So, do whatever you like.

So it seems that although she herself cannot travel back into the past to change it, she can summon stuff from the past and the future into the present? Instead of you going to the past, you bring the past to you? What if she tried summoning herself?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hey Touhougoons!

Today is "Red Day" in Gensokyo... Or so Flandre has declared.

I was inspired by Jack Nicholson doing his crazy stare in The Shining.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kheldragar posted:

A thought came through my mind a long time ago when I was thinking about Satori's power to read the concious mind. Let's assume that there was someone whose native language was not Japanese, and as such, they thought in whatever foreign language they happened to be born under. And let's also say that they happen to visit Chireiden. If Satori were to read that person's concious, active mind, what would she "hear"? Would she hear exactly was it being thought - to her, the gibberish of a foreign language. Or would she hear a somewhat translated version of what they're thinking to Japanese - barring the fact that some things cannot be translated succintly or at all.

Nitori invented the Universal Translator. :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

No. People who think that are wrong. The easiest older game is Perfect Cherry Blossom and the easiest newer game is Mountain of Faith.

But it's true though! I am terrible at Touhou games, and the only game I ever actually finished, on Easy mode, was Impossible Night. Sure, it took a continue or two, but I finished it! I've had no such luck with any of the other games.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

It doesn't count unless you get to Stage 6b, which you only get to if you don't use continues. Sorry, dude.

Oh. Actually I wasn't aware that there is a stage 6b. I could hardly have been faulted for assuming I had finished!

I guess this means I've never finished any Touhou game, ever. Oh well! I've never been a fan of shoot em up games anyway. :shobon:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clarste posted:

Okay, this is a kind of a tangent and maybe you guys won't appreciate this but I feel like I have to ask.

As some of you are aware I translate the official Touhou comics. I wouldn't say I'm a particularly great translator, but I try not to be completely terrible. Anyway, in a chapter I'm currently translating, (kinda but not really spoiler, sort of a dialect question that may reveal who shows up) there's a character who uses the honorific "dono". Which is basically an old fashioned way to address people that in the modern era makes people think of samurai dramas. It probably has some more nuance to it, historically, but nowadays dono pretty much equals feudal. A quick way of establishing a character as archaic. That's all well and good, but how should it be translated? My first thought is "Sir" as in "Sir Bob, slayer of dragons" which makes people think of knights and I think that's appropriate, but the feminine equivalent of that (and of course I need the feminine equivalent) is "Dame" which is a bit less common and maybe looks kinda weird. Well, weird enough that I hesitate to use it. Dame Reimu?

"Lady" is another option but that's the feminine equivalent of "Lord" and has more connotations of subservience than I think are appropriate, and overlaps with "sama". Actually, it's currently translated that way on the wiki (Futo uses it), but I'm a bit uncomfortable with that too, although as a wiki though I don't feel any urgency in fixing it, unlike a comic where it becomes set in stone. And of course there are other options. The simplest way would be to leave it as -dono, with maybe a footnote, but I'm kind of proud of the fact that Touhou translations tend to be less Japanophilic than they could be and I wouldn't want to break tradition.

Anyway, I'm probably overthinking this way too much, but I want like a dozenth opinion or something. Most people I've talked to (my friends) have said "Dame" is fine and frankly I've already edited the chapter to use that, but I guess I don't think it's fine so I want someone to talk me out of it. Or give a neutral opinion for why it's fine.

Sorry for the derail.

If I were you, I'd go with "madame".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clarste posted:

Isn't "madame" just, like, French? I don't think I want the character to sound French. Although I guess that would be hilarious, in some sense.

Edit: I can't stop thinking of them talking in a French accent now. Thanks for that.

Okay, go with "Madam" then! Or "Milady" works fine. Seriously, I don't see the major difficulty here, English totally has old-fashioned words for addressing nobility.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aww gee, just look at who went and usurped the Iron Throne when we weren't looking!

"Well! Who's the strongest NOW?! :smug:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

fanart-cirno seems to have a thing for thrones

The King in the North! :black101:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I personally liked Meiling a lot in 12.5. She was unique with her really close-range oriented fighting style, and a lot of fun to play. I wouldn't have minded seeing her again!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So what's the status on the English patch for the latest fighting game? I've been kind of out of the loop and might have missed some of the chat in the previous pages.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

There are tons of breweries on the west coast, too. :(

I guess he's just not into hip microbreweries, artisanal coffee, or organic local fusion cuisine. :v:

Also, there are no Touhous with oranges, salmon, or pine tree themes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

dranxis posted:

I'm really bad at starting fan art and never finishing it, but I did finish coloring this Futo recently:

I also made a personal Tumblr to put her on since I'm not going back to Deviantart. I'm a little scared of Tumblr though.

Hey, that's pretty nice, dude!! Where's your Tumblr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Personally speaking, it's that very fact about the fandom surrounding this game that has a 100% female cast, that was a high barrier to entry for me in the first place. Like it or not, it is very intimidating that the most visible thing about the franchise -- its large fan-base-activity -- is so heavily dominated by males.