Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:siren:MUSIC POOOOOOST:siren:

June 29th 2018: IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME since the last one but this one is a fuckin' doozy and has 1250 tracks or so, so enjoy! https://nyaa.si/view/1052036

March 2017: Hey so do you want some more music here's 260 or so more tracks ok enjoy
https://nyaa.si/view/911716

feb 2015: Hey so I procrastinated on this poo poo for like 3 months and wound up making it uh, a lot bigger than it was supposed to be, so here's Touhou Lossy Music Collection #24, with over 250 mp3s in it

https://nyaa.si/view/660748

I deleted a good 10 gigs worth of bullshit making this one. It'd be nice if I could sort albums by which are actually midis disguised as mp3s, it'd let me cut down the overall size quite a bit since those fuckers both sound awful and take up far too much space for what they are.

edit: Alluvion exploded(edit: june 29th 2018 SO DID NYAA.SE!!!). I've reuploaded the entire current music collection(1-23 + Booby Prize Folder) to Nyaa

Collection 1 is all the really large mp3s, more than 10 or 15 megs each, the rest are in alphabetical order and collections 1-8 lack descriptions as I hadn't started doing those for each collection yet. I have gone through roughly 10,000 MP3s so far out of around 28,000 in the initial collection I grabbed, so about one in every 7 MP3s is kept (this is skewed by certain artists who are entirely poo poo and get deleted and certain artists who are entirely awesome and have their whole folders copy/pasted into the collection). This is not the final collection, I haven't even gotten through all the artists that start with an "H" yet. The total collection will probably clock in at around the 4k-5k mp3 mark at this rate.

Here's a quote from the old thread with a bunch of descriptions of what's inside, lumped together in one giant mass of words:

quote:

Hey. Merry Christmas. Allow me to give you the gift of an 8-months-late, absolute slog to get to this point, double-sized collection #20. Fuckin' Iemitsu. 199 MP3s.

Collection 18: The second part of the Golden City Factory collection finishes it off, the next collection will resume with the next artists following GCF. This torrent has some less than stellar pieces, but overall plenty of good techno and a surprising amount of slower paced stuff is included. Bugbeard, one of the artists involved, has both frantic techno and slow jazzy works. There's a few, in particular one by "Lucy a.k.a. Ky" that are pretty beep boopy and disjointed, but even those can be good when done right, and this is a good example. It doesn't stick to it but changes rapidly and is better for it. Bugbeard also did a Nuclear Fusion track, embedded below, that I REALLY enjoyed. It surprised me because I am of the opinion that it is next to impossible to pull off a "slow" Nuclear Fusion, but he made a...well, the best way I'd describe it is as a "jaunty stroll" version, and he does the same thing with Emotional Skyscraper which works pretty well. There's some excellent piano versions of tracks included too. Guri has next to no presence in this collection as I specifically did most of their stuff in the first one.

Collection 18: Golden City Factory dominates this one. In fact, there's so much GCF, I had to split it into two parts just for them! Techno and synth are the name of the game, and Guri is my favorite of the group. They are definitely a love or hate group, so just know that going in. But there's some interesting tracks they've put out and some of them are among my favorites of ALL Touhou remixes, such as Guri ~ Evening Star.

Part 15: An average collection. About the only remarkable stuff in here is Gatling Cat(because their name owns), Girl's Short Hair for having drat good male vocals, and Ginrei who do some decent synth swing. There was a colossal amount of crap aside from this, so if you think this stuff is bad, just imagine what got thrown out! Also why I wanted to start the next collection off with Golden City Factory, because I love their stuff.

Collection 14: Free-Logic is more buzzy techno. Fromadistance is very Japanese-style, lots of Japanese instruments, what sounds like Taiko Drums and those little Japanese string instruments, and often lots of whooshing and whistling sounds. FromCSZ is techno/metal, their Crystal Blossom track is a classic. There is a LOT of FRONTIER CREATE, and duplicates of many tracks. They took a fun approach with their albums, creating the same track lists both in orchestral and metal versions(there was a third, Techno one, but they suck at techno, sadly). They are top-notch. FRONTIER RECORDS are extremely good too, spanning many genres compared to most other groups, notably the artist "Succubus", who really nails basically any genre they're given. Almost all the accompanying vocals were poo poo though, glad they included instrumentals with everything. Frontier彩, basically "The Touhouvania Music Dudes", have some of the best Touhou remixes out there, period. If nothing else, download the torrent for their stuff, because seriously. The best. I think I only removed one, maybe two tracks from their stuff, the vocals.

Collection 13: FALSE & TRUES I consider to be "light techno"(and all karaoke versions because the vocals are poo poo). Most everything has subdued boomtisk. Not really thumping like other stuff. FENNEL SEED is just nice, solid rock. Not spectacular, but not bad. I included the FIGHTING DREAMER track because even if you don't like it, it's still better than 99% of male vocal tracks. Five-seveN's only included track is a Nuclear Fusion one, which I rarely delete because it's so hard to gently caress up Nuclear Fusion and Emotional Skyscraper. Flap+Frog is about being as chillax as possible. Floor-6 is buzzy techno. EB-Train's Flowering Night 2006 is one of the aforementioned 1% wonderful male vocals, I believe they're the same folks who did the Eientewi song, or sound similar if a bit "lighter". Fluid Stance's stuff is atmospheric. Forest 306 is some good ol' guitarin'. Great stuff, basically a lesser Diverse System. Fourtale's stuff was largely non-Touhou, with a single track for Deep Mountain, but I liked their remixes of some particular Final Fantasy remixes(especially Kefka's final theme) that I tossed'em in. More the merrier! FOX RAVEL VS KINZOK ON's single inclusion is a doozy, a seven minute piece of frantic techno. And finally, the fucker who wound up having almost 400 MP3s in its album folder, [Fragile Online]. Again, a bunch of non-Touhou, but hopefully you'll forgive their inclusion since it's some great Earthbound stuff(8 Melodies, New Age Retro Hippie) and I think even Adventure Island is there. Their stuff is all over the place, fast, slow, classical, techno, a bunch of different genres of music. Good stuff.

Description for Collection 12:
Included are 93 files, with a ton of FactoryNoise & AG, when I started into their stuff I thought were outstanding, but by the end of it only some of their tracks are really top-notch, as they're made up of a lot of artists. But it's still mostly good to great quality. Also has a group called Fall Village, who will be a love/hate thing for most folks, I included them so people could make their own decisions, as they're not really BAD, per-say. Included the entire "Reverie" album by Everfades, good for more classical Touhou. Half a dozen tracks by ES=s/o.k.o.G4, they are good depending on your tolerance of buzzy techno. En-Flan has some exceptionally good vocals for Touhou arranges. One or two mixes by Emroots were included in the original Touhou torrent I made years back. Specifically, Neon Sign, which was then one of my favorite Touhou remixes. E-MP is similar to ES=s/o.k.o.G4 in the buzzy department. I think I covered just about everything included, enjoy!

Description for Collection 11:
Included in this collection is a shitload of EastNewSound, which are outstanding trance/techno but I suspect some folks might not like them, as well as Einherjar Records who are also excellent. This is almost entirely trance and techno, however there's some non-techno in here, like some of Ego☆Trip's stuff. The collection hit 99 just as I finished Elemental Records's albums so I threw in an 8-bit version of Kero Destiny and "The Hydrogen Bomb", one of my favorite Nuclear Fusion remixes as padding to tip it over to 101 MP3s. Enjoy!

Description for Collection 10:
Collection 10. A normal sampling this time. 74 mp3s in this one. Example of some of stuff included:

Description for Collection 9:
This contains nearly all of Diverse System's stuff, barring a commentary track and an mp3 or two that are boomtisk with chipmunk DJ voice clips that I hate so very much. Other than those, everything DS makes is top notch, two entire albums are left untouched in this torrent. Also features the excellent Demetori, of whom I didn't delete a single track. I think I like Demetori more than I like CROW'S CLAW.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're one of them peoples who downloads the music collections, I've added Collection 21 as well as The Booby Prize Folder, a special collection that began when I first started this, that has the worst, weirdest, or just not fitting with the main collections stuff. Mostly worst and weirdest though.

COLLECTION 21!
IOSYS and others. Better description later.

Download torrent81 (90 files; 575.05 MB)
View torrent stats

THE BOOBY PRIZE FOLDER!
The worst, weirdest, or just stuff I didn't think "fit" in with the rest. Mostly worst/weirdest though.

Download torrent81 (107 files; 621.94 MB)
View torrent stats

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dorroile posted:

Who actually plays on Easy, though. Like, for real.

Joke's on you, I don't play Touhous at all. :smug: THAT HAAAAAAND

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

leather fedora posted:

Drama and overcoming it is a natural part of life and if you can't accept it then there is something wrong with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAsmuVA5ihc

I still think this is one of the best, if not THE best, thing to come out of Touhou. It doesn't really require a knowledge of Touhou to grasp, the music is great(even if the lyrics are sorta nonsensical), and the artwork and especially dancing animations are fantastic. Sorta South Park-ey but not quite. And the story it tells is melancholy but nice all the same. Just really top notch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, considering Gensokyo's gimmick is "the land of legends and things doubted", and the Wild West is downright mythical to the general public at this point, it would totally fit. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Smooth McGroove, who does awesome acapellas of video game themes, just put up one for U.N. Owen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUed7HZtTNA

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Takoluka posted:

Keep in mind that Yugi Motou kept his own name in the 4kids dub, so Ray-Moon and Marsala could keep their originals.

Raymo. HEY RAYMO, OVER HERE! RAYMO, ZAP THAT PUFFBALL! RAYMO, HAVE SOME TEA.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bob

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nages posted:

Bosses for th14 confirmed:
Stage 1: Mima
Stage 2: Mima
Stage 3: Mima
Stage 4: Mima
Stage 5: Mima
Stage 6: Mima
Ex Stage: Mima again

It took me way longer than expected to find this since Littleshrimp apparently scrubbed the internet of his fanart, how annoying!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I do want her to return, but I don't expect her to. If nothing else but to get a reimagined version of her theme, a Mima Magus Night, if you will. :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hedera Helix posted:

Admittedly, if Mima were to actually make a return appearance in an official Touhou game, it would be an indicator that ZUN is letting the fans dictate what he creates. And no good could possibly come from that.
Not really. Just because someone thinks something up or people want something doesn't mean that the author deciding to do it necessarily is predicated on that. I don't think there was outside influence when he brought Yuuka back, after all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Finally got around to reading this. Only Karaagetarou could pull something off as absurd as a Nitori x Chewbacca pairing. Cute and actually pretty god drat hilarious at the same time.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/pools/6400 :nws: ads per usual

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I never joke. I am a robot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Those four...Gamespot or IGN? guys have transcended mere meme status and become part of the culture there it seems like. They show up in anime, they show up in advertisements, billboards, etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's a pretty loving skintight shirt if it's going into her cleavage like that, then. I think you're in denial.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Is terrrrrrrrrible! It's like it's trying to be that Farming Simulator video but completely missing the mark(and humor)!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But Byakuren has the purple-into-brown hair ZUNfirmed, which makes her better than some ridiculous attempt at a badass cape that was definitely not stolen from Utsuho's closet, since it doesn't have all of creation inside of it.

Besides, everyone knows a proper badass cape requires tattered edges to show you've been through and endured the harshest of battles, for example;

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Paging Dr. Sunshine, please draw a picture of Gabe Newell using voodoo magicks to suck the hat energies out of ZUN from afar, weakening his hatted-character creating abilities.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Read all of bkub's stuff.

This

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Aki Eda is kind of a janky artist and the Watatsukis sort of suck a lot.

Aki Eda made Bonnouji so she will forever be A-OK in my book.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

a cartoon duck posted:

Can Sakuya turn into a raptor?

Not quite...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Artificer posted:

Is anyone still seeding the Touhou music collections that Invictus put out? I'm downloading the 1-19 collection and the 20th as well and it doesn't look like people are seeding. Might just be because it's late though.

I've hopped back on, let me know if it's not working for you still.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hokuto posted:

I was actually commenting on that because it flew in the face of my earlier complaints so it was joking chagrin. :v: In all honesty, I find the high-pitched synth tones used mostly at the beginning of the song to be incredibly grating. The rest is okay until they go back to that synth again.

As usual, the flaws in any Touhou track can be fixed with copious amounts of remixes.

BlitzBlast posted:

Because it's so popular nobody gives Night Falls the attention it deserves. :argh:
Dude knows what's up yo. :smug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KataraniSword posted:

...For some reason, Emotional Skyscraper doesn't even ping my conscious thoughts as "Touhou music" any more.
The thing about Emotional Skyscraper and Nuclear Fusion is that they are incredibly hard to gently caress up. It takes genuine skill to screw those two up into a form that's not really listenable, and it tends to involve squirrel DJ voice or shrill japanese girl voices if they manage it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You are ACTIVELY TRYING to destroy it and it retains the beat still, it's still at least semi-catchy! You have failed!

Make one out of vuvuzelas now, please.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It also has feet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You still see Goku riding on his cloud from time to time, though! Throw the flying turtle a bone every once in a while!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That turtle is younger than most of the hot women baddies hanging around. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There seriously wasn't more than a dozen fanarts tops(total, not just Touhou) until like two weeks ago on Pixiv. They were really slow to pick up on Pacific Rim, but I suspect now that it's actually out there'll be a bunch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would prefer a 50/50 even split so that he doesn't blow through all the various potential creatures he can turn into little girls in frilly dresses and silly hats so quickly. Maybe a 25old/75new split. It's not a terrible thing to have returning characters, Marisa and Reimu reappearing every game notwithstanding(though not having them at this point is almost like having a Megaman game without Megaman)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Meanwhile us Mimi-Indifferenters will continue thinking both of you are idiots.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Her mallet-hand appears to be directly attached to her shoulder.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JosephWongKS posted:

Is ZUN still doing the character art for the latest game? It seems to me like the artwork has been significantly improved between Ten Desires and Double Dealing Characters.

Please look at her left arm. Please notice that there is no arm, her hand is essentially attached directly to her shoulder.

And Reimu's little floppy T-Rex hand.

ZUN's art is still ZUNtastic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Zun doesn't "do" perspective.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel this is the perfect time to mention that, after taking a break from Touhou music for a buncha months and instead going through my sizable backlog of indie game/whatever albums that I've had pile up from Humble Bundles and poo poo, I've begun going through the Touhou stuff again. So expect another collection soon!

Evil Sagan posted:

Oh goddamn you guys rule. I'm listening to all the songs CommissarMega posted while reading Forbidden Scrollery. All I can see is danmaku! I'm probably gonna start puking bullets by the end of the night.

I'm getting better at IN. I managed to get to Eirin's very last spellcard with just one bomb left... sadly it was not enough. I had to quit because after that I started making stupid mistakes in the early stages.

The sad thing is, I would have had this down hours ago if I let myself use five lives instead of just three. But drat, when I finally make it, I'm gonna be so drat proud.

And then I have to make the 1cc attempt :ohdear:
Might I direct you to my Touhou music collection torrent(in progress)?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my god. I found a folder with poo poo and gold mixed in with each other. Maybe the best vocal track I've yet heard, too.

First track, dude's talking some loving horribly buzzy weird nonsense.

Second track is probably some actual rapper rapping in English about Muhammad Ali(as opposed to recorded for this track), set to, I believe, a slowed-down version of Night Falls ~ Evening Star, and subtly mixed so that he repeats stuff nearly seamlessly.

It rules. And isn't on Youtube. But it's way better than I expected coming into this single album of twelve tracks by random people I don't recognize except Oiko. At the rate I'm going I might have the collection ready as early as tonight or tomorrow.

edit: this is not ironic love for this track, it really rules, I started unconsciously nodding my head to it. I was not expecting that in a Touhou music collection, but I suppose with a quarter terabyte of stuff to go through it's going to have a little of everything!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 21, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
IT! IS YES! THAT TIME AGAIN!

Touhou Music Collection 22!

Featuring: (lots of IRON ATTACK, as well as IRON-CHINO, IZMIZM, Iona, J&B, JA幻想郷, Jeux Interdits, JUDSTYLE, and a few from a misc album.

Download torrent81 (101 files; 645.10 MB)
View torrent stats

edit: if you want to hear the specific track I mentioned, it's JA幻想郷 - Liebe ist Krieg.mp3

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 22, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would hope he'd try to go with Steam first. That'd be the most logical way to go about releasing in the west.

It'd never happen, but I wish he'd let Carpe Fulgur handle the localization.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HGH posted:

So apparently ZUN's coming to the US in two weeks? And he's made some autographed merch.

I'm not sure whether to laugh at or pity whoever ends up with a wall-eyed autographed ZUN art Tenshi shirt. Probably both.

If I were going to that, I'd dress as Viking Cirno. With sunglasses.

also, this was way too obvious and yet I still guffawed when I saw it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ZUN In America so far is everything I've hoped it would be. :allears:

I can't stop laughing at the ZUN and Shou picture. Not really in a mocking fashion either, for cosplay, that's a damned good costume. More just hilarious in a baffling way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would hope someone has brought Carpe Fulgur to his attention for translation purposes. :allears: