Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Repostin this for a new thread:

Muv-Luv Trilogy MAD set to the Macross Frontier Medley

Has a hell of a lot of spoilers but I think it's pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yet they still found room to add 35,000 lines for Ecstasy :buddy:

And if you think LB! is slow, wait until you try Rewrite.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To be quite honest I think I enjoy other people's reactions to MLA more than when I played it myself.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ottumon posted:

I've heard that the ending is lackluster to say the least. How much of this stuff does it actually answer?
Everything "important" is answered, though it may not go out of its way to spell it out for you. Now what you determine to be "important" right now may not be the same by the time you reach the end, so it's possible certain questions you have right now won't be answered while others you hadn't thought of will be.

quote:

Will I get any resolution to the sin that supposedly caused all the deaths and the murders?
Yes, this at least is specifically revealed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ottumon would've found that out upon finishing EP4; there's no need to spoil it as a response.

E: Meant to say no need to respond in such a way in the first place, since he had said he was only partway through EP4.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 3, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Once you finish reading the very last episode, you could read the manga adaptation of EP8. Its a whole lot better executed than the VA and it goes further in depth with a lot of things the VN didn't touch upon.
Like what?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e- Man how loving long does it take for them to finish this manga. EP 5-8 are still getting chapters released still.
This is more or less the reason I've long felt the manga adaptions of the WTC series are a waste of time. EP3 isn't even finished being scanlated.

They're also uglier than the games and don't have the music, and at least EP1-EP4 were wildly inconsistent at what tone to focus on and what to leave in and out. So like the anime it was a wasted exercise trying to actually piece the plot together (gee, maybe try having one artist go at it from start to finish next time? Maybe serialize it in a linear fashion? What a crazy idea!).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 4, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first two chapters are probably his poorest paced, where he was definitely testing the waters a bit to get a feel for what worked best. So if you're on board now you'll be in for quite a ride.

I'm glad there seem to be more people playing Higurashi. I would actually say it's a pretty underrated VN all things considered despite the popularity of the anime. I would guess most people watched the anime and figured the VN wasn't worth the time and/or didn't know about the PS2 patches.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 6, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm trying to run Rewrite after installing, but I keep getting the "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly." error. I'm in Japanese locale, using the r4 patch, I've tried both alternative .exes suggested in the error thread, running as admin, nothing works. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit if it matters.
The only thing I can think of is that the installation is messed up. I don't think there's anything inherently special with W7 64, as that's what I have too. Although I didn't install it in Program Files at least, which would eliminate any admin issue.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Relambrien posted:

Coincidentally this is why I will never play Muv-Luv. From everything I hear about it, if I feel this terrible from a mediocre Key route, Muv-Luv would put me into a suicidal depression.
It's apples and oranges really. Key is pretty blatantly manipulative and kind of shallow about their tragedies (which I admit sometimes I find endearing with the right polish). For all you know Muv-Luv, which is more of a natural drama, will resonate much better with you. And it's not like we're talking Nitroplus/Urobuchi levels of dark here.

Besides, your suffering feeds the rest of us.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

klapman posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo ohhhhhhhhhhhhh poo poo
Yeah Tatarigoroshi is when Higurashi gets pretty real. At least now you can catch your breath a little bit with Himatsubushi, because Higurashi Kai is going to be pretty much at the same level as Tatari non-stop.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Himatsubushi is the shortest chapter, though I can't recall by how much.

Using only information presented to the reader in Onikakushi and Watanagashi, we know the poisonous gas incident does not happen in Watanagashi because there are TIPS (or was it the credit roll?) in that chapter that reveal the characters' fates and several are still alive years later in Hinamizawa. We don't know what happens in Onikakushi after Keiichi's death because unlike the other chapters the story stops there and there is no information for the rest of the characters' fates, like Satoko or Rika. At least I don't remember any such information. So it may or may not have happened.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 9, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't think too deeply upon it. Onikakushi has a couple of inconsistencies with the rest of the chapters, which in retrospect feel like RK07 simply not knowing what direction he was going to take the story just yet. At any rate, that incident happening or not happening later is irrelevant to the story being told in that chapter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Higurashi of course also got several patches to convert its sprites to their PS2 equivalents, as well as a handful of others to fix the music/font/UI/sound effects/translation which I would also recommend. I don't think anyone ever bothered to make a voice patch though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't hold my breath on the English re-translation. Watanagashi has been "almost done" for like 5 years, which includes I believe at least two groups starting from scratch and then sputtering to a halt. I think it would be a much better use of everyone's time if someone could just take the MangaGamer translation and backport it to ONscripter, while judiciously editing it, but sadly no one has ever taken up that torch.

E: I am specifically referring to the actual translation, not the French project itself. They could finish that, but if they really are waiting on the other group to finish the English script they will be waiting for a long time.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 11, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zeratanis posted:

Again, I'm glad I read this. It's going to be hard finding something that good in the future for any medium. Anyone got anything they could recommend? I'm a gigantic sap for romance, so anything there would do, as long as its decently written. Well, I'll take any recommendations at this point. I was thinking of checking out Higurashi next, or maybe Fate/Stay Night since I heard those were supposed to be good.
Fate/stay night is the other "big one" alongside Muv-Luv. Arguably the most popular VN ever made. You may not end up liking it as much as some but in the end it will probably be worthwhile in some capacity. There's also Steins;Gate, which has picked up a lot of momentum over the months and is now #2 on vndb I believe. I may be very biased, but I would certainly also recommend Higurashi and Umineko, even more so if you're going in blind.

However, I'm not sure I'd label any of those as romance. There is some incidental stuff in FSN and S;G, but that's it. If you do want to go down that road, there's always Key (CLANNAD, Little Busters!, Rewrite). Maybe Kira Kira or Majikoi for something more lighthearted (mostly).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

PurplieNurplie posted:

On that note, what other VNs are like Steins;Gate, in that they don't really feature it/that at all and are still successful?
Everything by 07th Expansion as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To play devil's advocate, Ever17 does have Souichirou Hoshi and Coco. Just absolute torture on the ears.

E: Remember11 is still poo poo, though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 12, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Komari is definitely awful, but I would be hard pressed to think of any other Key girls who come remotely close to being as bad as Coco. E: Not to say all of them are good, just that no one is anywhere close to being as bad as Coco and Komari.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 14, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nyaa posted:

Then I watched Angel Beat and I must say that I really hate all these sudden melodrama out of nowhere plot that come after a completely fun and enjoyable first half. Is that how all Key game works? It's just feel so stupid and cheap.
That's pretty much their bread and butter. Rewrite sort of bucked this trend I guess, though it still had the "humorous common route, dramatic character route" formula just without a lot of tragedy.

Don't let you think that Rewrite is the perfect Key VN though; it has plenty of other problems and I'm actually really hesitant to say it's better than even Little Busters!.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
LB!'s problem is that the character routes are so disconnected from everything, including the main story, that they don't fit together at all. They feel like routes that were written in a vacuum without consideration to any of the rest of LB! and were just dropped in as-is with the names changed around. It's the polar opposite of say FSN, where the routes thematically mesh together very well. Even CLANNAD was able to tie all of the routes together more or less with its focus on family in just about everything. So you wind up feeling like you wasted your time in all of the character routes that are not Rin's. I think when they are dealing with a story that actually "matters", while they are still blatantly manipulative it at least comes off as being more honest and better written emotionally. Compare Komari to Rin 2, for example. And I usually really like their "True End" routes, such as CLANNAD's After Story and LB!'s Refrain.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The LB! anime is basically the common route with various girls' routes sprinkled inbetween. The problem with doing this is that it makes the common route itself feel pretty disjointed, constantly jumping back and forth between the "baseball" plot and the various girls' plots. Since those girls' plots are so disconnected from everything, it feels like a waste of time.

At least in the VN I think most people would agree the common route was pretty strong, and it's only when you jump off of it into one of the girls' routes where it falls apart. In the VN this is a problem because you have to finish each route in order to unlock the true end route. In the anime I guess it's same sort of problem except you have to deal with it over the course of the common route's happenings as well.

I've always maintained that LB!'s main story, that is the story that actually deals with the original five LB members, is pretty good. This means the common route, the two Rin routes, and Refrain. The problem is that you have to go through everyone else to get there, and everyone else is easily at least half the whole game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

planetarial posted:

Speaking of Ever17, am I the only one who didn't find it to be good at all?
You're definitely not the only one, I found it extremely overrated. Good final route, mediocre everything else. They should have combined You and Sara and cut Sora entirely.

Never7 is way worse, if you can believe it. And Remember11... well, yeah. Frankly the Infinity series is not that hot, when you really get down to it!

999 is awesome, though. And everything I've heard about VLR makes it sound pretty great too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

I only finished the first two routes of Never7 (my computer broke shortly afterwards, and I never bothered to buy a new copy for some reason), but I don't remember it being that bad...OK, it was pretty bland in some ways (the main character's only memorable character trait is "complete idiot"), but the clock thing was an effective, if gimmicky, way of creating tension and keeping the story from dragging, and the translation was excellent. It's also one of the few times the "idiot plot" actually works, because the main character really is that dumb.
Never7 is just boring as hell. Maybe it's spoiling it in a way but there's no big twist to it; you learn most of the major plot points fairly early, all of which are pretty low key and not that interesting on their own, and the whole thing is played straight afterwards. You definitely can't expect an Ever17 series of developments or twists to bring it all together or something. There's also a LOT more repetition as I recall; you have to play the same basic story something like 7 times.

Namtab posted:

Problem with stuff like little busters is that I have to do the common route like 6 times with only minor cosmetic changes each runthrough. If you want to tell a deep story or whatever at least try and streamline the stuff I have to see again and again.
Uh, so why not just use the "skip already read text" function?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

planetarial posted:

I've heard stories, isn't one of them suppose to have no ending what so ever?
That would be Remember11. I had read the warnings in the last thread, and it still blindsided me with how awful it was. Until YU-NO's second half vomited all over my screen, I was prepared to call Remember11 the worst VN I had played.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

kirbysuperstar posted:

Remember11, yes. It does have an ending.. in the PSP port. Which didn't have a translation.

I think the ending events were put into that "Infinity Timeline" thing that came with the Never7 patch, but.. uh.. yeah. KID kinda dissolved before they could properly finish R11 and Cyberfront just pooped it out as is.
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. The timeline came out and elaborates on a few things, mostly in how the other games connect up, but it doesn't actually "end" Remember11 any more than the original did. There's even some interview from the Kid folks that amounts to them shrugging and saying that yeah, it's a story without an ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is the interview I remember. It might be hearsay though:

quote:

In the original version of the game, Director Takumi Nakazawa admitted, "Not all of the information is presented." His assessment was that it was an unfinished work, and that people, "Would have to resign themselves and accept the information they were given." The cause, apparently, was, "I was not happy with the ultimate result, but it was too late to change it." "The fact that the truth had to be hidden was inevitable from the beginning." Again, he stressed the importance of seeing all 33 endings (31 of them being bad endings) to gain as much information as possible. "I understand this is unreasonable.", and to compensate for this, announced that a timeline of the Infinity series would be included in the PSP limited edition version of the game, attached to the walkthrough in a pamphlet in said version.

Nakazawa said, "It's in order to get those who played the PS2 version (the first release of Remember11 was on the PS2) to complete the story." He prepared the PSP version not only for new players on the PSP, but for disgruntled fans who bought the PS2 version. After taking into consideration those players, Nakazawa decided that the best way to assist these players was in the form of a timeline. Furthermore, he took several members of the staff into consideration, several who had different opinions on what the real truth was.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah the end of Tsumihoroboshi is really special and really sets the table for Minagoroshi, which is even better. Despite the "Answer" arcs obviously having some answers to the mysteries, it's the the characterization that's the main draw. Higurashi's cast is just crazy good.

With Meakashi, the main draw for me are the diary TIPs, where you directly follow Shion's train of thought as she goes from suspicious, to murderous, to :smithicide: incarnate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
(Minagoroshi)Teppei returns to Hinamizawa whenever Rina is killed by yakuza so as to lay low, not because he needs money. The situation with Rena's family was a different matter.

E: Just checked, it's laid out in the fourth and fifth Minagoroshi TIPs.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 17, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

klapman posted:

MAJOR UMINEKO AND HIGURASHI SPOILERS
The direct Higurashi references (like where Battler talks about it as if it were a real game) are probably meant as a joke, meaning that it's possible there are some actual connections between the two. Actually when the Matsuribayashi manga came out Amakusa is one of the Mountain Hounds working for Okonogi, which would explain how the two knew each other in Umineko. I don't think it's meant to be anything particularly deep though other than some fun speculation for the fanbase to chew on.

Lambdadelta is indeed meant to resemble Takano. Lambda=3, Delta=4, and Mi=3, Yo=4. Lambdadelta's power of "certainity" also greatly resembles Takano's role and approach. This Umineko TIP further connects the two. However there are some superficial similarities to Satoko as well, such as their ohohoho laugh.

After you finish with Matsuribayashi, I recommend getting the secret ending and playing Saikoroshi-hen in Higurashi Rei.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Krinkle has it right. (General Umineko Spoilers)

Bernkastel's possible identity/connection should be fairly obvious. Replay Umineko EP1's ???? if you really want it driven home. Though it's more explicit after Saikoroshi I suppose.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've never really cared for the various FSN OPs over the years but that HF Vita one is rad as hell.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 20, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I won't comment too much on the FSN Vita soundtrack, some better I guess, some worse, some about the same. However, what the hell happened here? (Much better original for comparison)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fate/Extra is kind of novel but its charm wears off pretty quickly because the combat, or rather the dungeon crawling, is very poorly implemented. You can't even save, which means it's highly probable that you will lose a decent amount of progress at some point or another. The boss fights are pretty cool though, even if they can also be very frustrating.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Except you have to fight enemies a lot to nab their patterns, which usually means running around for an hour or two. And then all it takes (especially if you're using Caster) is one lucky hit where you guessed wrong and then welp you just lost the last 2 hours.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wish I could find the old Japanese list of the various patterns, but there are some enemies with like 20 unique sets in the later parts of the game. The worst are the ones that paralyze you, which can break through even if you guard it. Better hope you had the foresight to predict the future and cast a healing spell right afterwards or you're done.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

little_firebird posted:

This one?

These patterns are for the sixth Arena enemies. Seems fun, right? :v:
Yep, that's it. Though if I remember right, it's actually not too bad once you get to weeks 6 or 7 because by then you should have access to most of your skills and plenty of MP restoring items. It very much becomes a war of attrition at that point where you just use skills on any unknown turns, until you reach a point where you've unlocked most of the patterns. However this isn't really feasible in weeks 4 and 5, where the difficulty rather spikes through the roof suddenly.

And again, none of this would be a problem if you could save in the dungeons. Even SMT, pioneer of bullshit dungeon crawling, know they have to scatter save and heal spots here and there to make it feasible for the players.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's more that one route/ending is very much not light hearted. The rest of it is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, to be honest I would say it's a bit worse than those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

planetarial posted:

On a different note, what would you guys consider to be a good starter VN to introduce somebody to the genre? Something like Planterian or Narcissu that is short and sweet with no choices or porn or Katawa Shoujo which is a lot longer but pretty vanilla or something else?
I think 999 is a better story/game/experience, but Ever17 has always struck me as the quintessential 'Visual Novels 101' example.

Then again, my first VNs were Tsukihime and Fate/stay night :shobon:

• Locked thread