Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The Eva dub gave us this, which will allow me to forgive all transgressions

https://youtu.be/kGMuaXIlckU

justin roiland should record this in character as Morty.

actually poo poo, i want a redub with Morty-voice for Shinji and Rick-voice for Gendo.

and gently caress it, summer as Asuka, and Morty's parents as Misato and... jerry should probably be Rei huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

it has been a long time since i've sat down and just watched the first episode of EVA. It makes such a good first impression, honestly. The Angel's design is great, the whole first episode is very cinematic, and the stakes are immediately very high and very obvious.

edit: but i was literally watching 2.22 an hour ago to kill time until Netflix dropped it and whoever said that Shinji and Misato's VAs sound like they're just doing impressions of the OG actors is dead on.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Nanpa posted:

Holy lol, you're making it sound like they've stripped all emotion out of the dialogue, is it really that bad?

i'll defend it slightly. I dunno if it's as good as the old dub but it's not like they just got Siri to do all the voices or anything like that. Misato's VA is growing on me

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Endorph posted:

i can assure you that western dramas have tons of problematic sexual bits too

Problematic Sexual Bits was the working title for Game of Thrones

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Honestly anyone posting about it right now is either someone who has engaged with Eva before, someone who’s live-tweeting a watch, or someone who has no idea what they’re talking about. It’s gonna be like a week or so before we start getting takes from people who watched it for the first time and sat with it a few days.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

araeris posted:

Crunchyroll getting some quality shots in here. I can't decide if this is more or less crazy than stuff on the newsgroups back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueUeMFbGq9o

Shouts out to Tim.

somebody watched BDG's videos for Polygon and decided to ride the "funny explaining with whiteboards" wave all the way to the station

edit: I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't completely aware of all of these weird loving games and Robocop Shinji, Lumberjack Ikari & Son and Detective Evangelion came out of loving nowhere

edit: if anyone ever says that they don't think Hollywood should make an Eva movie because they'd ruin that, I'm gonna link them to this video as evidence that they can't ruin it any more than the rights holders already have tried to do. Either that or say they should go the Pokemon route and make an adaptation to the weird detective spinoff to get everyone acquainted first.

edit: *insert joke about Evangelion JO and "I'm the lowest of the low" here*

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 22, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Covok posted:

Also, apparently my holiday edition Evangelion boxset is worth 500 USD and my Rebirth and End of Eva dvds are also worth bank. I bought them for $20 each with my allowance in middle shool.

i bought EoE when I was in middle school and loaned the disc to someone who proceeded to keep it and move to Washington, assuredly in an effort to keep the disc.

Of course, i still have Death/Rebirth...

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

bare bottom pancakes posted:

It's a show about how hosed the world would be without therapists

AT really stand for Anti Therapist Field

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Zeruel posted:

phew, thank you kotaku, im saved.

the more accurate article title is "I Have A Dumb Friend"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Thank you to whoever suggested the Waypoint episode where they talk about Eva. I haven't listened in a while, so it was nice re-entry. It also sounds like they're going to cover a few more episodes in the future as well.

Austin practically pisses his pants with excitement

there's a Ringer podcast about TV recapping that's going through Eva as well, the first couple episodes are out and they're incredibly thorough. This is the second episode, the first one is mostly setup but talks about the first couple episodes, this one goes through 3-7.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

howe_sam posted:

I've enjoyed what I've listened to of this, but their continual "lol, can you believe we're doing an Eva podcast?" does get a little repetitive, though granted it is wild that The Ringer is doing an Eva podcast.

I’m honestly a little torn between being disappointed that they’re not attempting to subject Bill Simmons to this weird thing we love but also I dunno if I could handle the awful takes we’d get if they were.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ogmius815 posted:

Has he ever made fun of incels? Incels are like, the English speaking world’s malignant equivalent of exactly that sort of embittered Otaku.

i mean hikikomori are right there why would he know about our weird violent offshoot of that?

edit: i know that hikikomori are not actually directly related to incels but there are very similar core issues, but this is America, so instead of just holing up and totally ignoring society our hosed-up weirdos take up arms (and cars) and go out and gently caress people up because our dumb country is founded on a core of violence

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 2, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

watching the new dub Misato's VA really, really reminded me of someone but I couldn't place it until a couple minutes ago. I dunno what the exact trigger was, but she sounds almost exactly like Idina Menzel (aka Elsa from Frozen and a shitload of broadway shows).

I actually really like most of the voice actors in this dub. I can't think of anyone who I haven't adjusted to, and any problems i have with this dub are generally "this doesn't sound like how humans choose words" rather than anything to do with performance.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Yinlock posted:

for the protagonists they all have exactly the same answer: teenagers am i right

yes this includes 3.0, wearing an eyepatch doesn't mean you actually aged asuka

hey when a quirk of fate denies you the ability to emotionally mature and stabilize you're allowed to put on an eyepatch to give you some semblance of change

imagine being stuck with not just the body but also the emotional foibles of your fourteen-year-old self forever. it's basically hell on earth

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this piece is great and the whole podcast has some excellent discussion about the show but one of the guys keeps pronouncing Asuka with emphasis on "a-SU-ka" and it bugs me. not quite as much as "Nth Children" but close

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Xander B Coolridge posted:

It's even more frustrating that he continues to do it after they halt the podcast and have a talk about the correct pronunciation of her name

I think the Waypoint podcast has more interesting discussion about the show, especially when it comes to how much Eva talks out of both sides of its mouth re: sexualization of 14-year-olds and also calling out Kaji for repeatedly sexually assaulting Misato while being the cool guy, but the Ringer podcasts win points for never making me say “please please please stop saying that name wrong” in futility. Not just with Asuka but also Futsuyuki.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

oh man this is the first time in forever i've watched episode 18 and it's still like a punch in the face

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

there's a rewatch going on on r/Anime and there's a dude in the comments who posts a big collage of the best shots for each episode and this really is such a beautiful show

edit: also i found a new wallpaper for my phone. Unit-01's baptism in blood here is quite possibly one of the most perfectly animated moments of this episode and this shot was just loving insane

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 8, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Nate RFB posted:

And now, as a counter to the Waypoint podcasts...

Dan apparently loved the first 8 episodes and based on his UPF comments he's past 12 and plans to keep going so color me surprised!

i love dan rykert and i love that he loves what he has seen of EVA but i feel like this is punishment for me complaining about those dudes on the Waypoint podcast misprouncing Asuka

seriously, Genjo Ikami?!?!?!

edit: although holy poo poo him hitting on Shinji's DNA being a part of why he's picked to be a pilot followed almost immediately by him thinking of the entry plug as a womb is remarkably close to figuring it out in the first 8 episodes.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 8, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I refuse to believe those are all the best shots from each ep but I'm too lazy review in order to verify or give an opinion.

Those are just episode 1, each episode gets a little collage

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The most plausible theory I've heard so far for why 25 and 26 are what they are, is that Anno was submitting final scripts extremely late in the back half of the series due to depression, which meant that nobody was really checking them for objectionable content before animation was able to start, which meant that when the episode with Misato and Kaji's sex scene aired it caught the network and sponsors completely off guard.

this is absolutely hilarious to me because of how totally tame the scene is. There's a few noises but other than that you never see anything but their hands and that side table.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this last page is like a case study in "posting about bad posting is way worse than the bad posting itself"

just post about what he says or ignore it, jfc y'all. honestly it was going just fine until like one guy posted "ugh this guy" at which point containment broke and all hell broke loose.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this is tangentially related to the topic at hand but did any of you ever watch Dual! Parallel Trouble Universe? they aired it on TechTV way back in the day and it's basically What If Evangelion, But Tenchi?!

i really love it when i was 14 and got the first couple of DVDs but I haven't seen it in years and years so i wonder if it holds up. It was definitely a ripoff of Eva.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

sorry but i don't understand how a translator can make a character say "i think i was put on this earth to meet you" and then go "hmm maybe love is too strong a word"

like i'm aware of the double meaning of the thing but "I think i was put on this earth to meet you" is the most corny teenage love affair thing i've ever heard

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Weird BIAS posted:

I know it's a few days late but drat the waypoint podcast really lost the plot for me. It's been far more fun hearing Dan and Bianca on Panning the Stream.

I listened to the latest one last night and I agree with you, they have some legitimate concerns about the show but you can just feel Patrick sitting there pouting through the audio.

It did give me a craving for a prequel series to Eva that is just episode 21, but a full season of anime. Really give some time to flesh Yui and Naoko more, more travails of young Misato, Kaji and Ritsuko, and of course Futsuyuki and Gendo dancing around each other like some dogs that don’t quite trust each other yet.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Honestly the Ringer’s podcast is probably better than both of the other ones I’ve listened to, the guys both clearly love the show and it’s also really funny at times too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I like the Ringer's podcasts in general. Which one of them is covering Eva? Sorry if that was answered previously...

The Recappables, they did a little miniseries called Sound Only about Eva.

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

listening to 20+ hours of absolute morons talking about anime and then posting about their bad opinions online, all's right with the wordl

as opposed to this thread, which is 5+ years of absolute morons talking about anime and then posting about their bad opinions.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

questions i have:

1). Touji's mom is dead, right? is her soul in unit 03?

2). When Rei III "wakes up" in the hospital, she doesn't remember the battle where Rei II died, which makes sense because she wasn't there. So when Rei gets "rebooted", when are they restoring her from? I assume they're basically backing her up whenever she's in the LCL tank uploading her consciousness, so is she just as she was the last time she was in the tank, is there some sort of connection between the Reis that are given consciousness that carries her emotional development through a soul or something, or do they just reboot her personality from whatever base level they have, then tell her what's going on?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

Even if you don't like what they do with Ritsuko, framing the problem with her arc as "compulsory heterosexuality" feels kind of weird and inadequate to me given that her infatuation with Gendo is very explicitly a poisonous thing that has caused her profound harm.

that was more of a joke line after talking about what they saw as the real problem, which is that both Ritsuko and Naoko suffer the same fate, both in the context of the show (killing Rei after being spurned/ignored by Gendo) and in the context of criticism of the show (both characters seem to jump straight from "normal-seeming if cold and logical woman jumping straight to child destruction because one lovely dude rejected them"). There's no real display of why either Dr. Akagi is attracted to Gendo, so the jealousy they display seems like a huge leap. This is mostly a result of the compression in episodes 18-24, which sort of dashes through stories and developments to get them out of the way because they just don't have the time to actually develop them.

honestly the feminist criticism that came out of the Waypoint podcast was the most cogent criticism that any of them had. It was way better than the complaining that Patrick did about not wanting his lore dumps too bureaucratic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Nate RFB posted:

I like the detail of Asuka always wearing them outside the Eva.

i wonder how many times she said the phrase "what? oh these? they're just for my other job. you know, piloting an EVA"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Archer666 posted:

I'd still rather have this than the 50 foot Asuka in high heels from ANIMA.

That sounds terrible is it terrible?

Yeah that looks pretty terrible. But is it really as bad as it looks?

an Eva Wiki posted:

Asuka, who's 17 in ANIMA, has fully recovered from her mental trauma she suffered during the end of the anime. She's now very cheerful and cares a lot for Shinji and even for Rei, something that would have been unbelievable 3 years ago. She still pilots Unit-02 which is later modified into the Evangelion Unit-02 Type II.

When Asuka (piloting her Eva-02 Allegorica) got infected by some unknown ancient living organisms during her fight against Armaros on the Moon, she somehow merged with her Eva, resulting in the creation of a Human-Evangelion Synthesis.

The best description for her would be that of a giant woman with Evangelion-like details throughout her body than an Eva per se. She sports an all-red armor, despite the fact that Asuka was using the silver-armored Eva-02 Allegorica at the time of her infection. She still uses the Allegorica but the unit is now part of her own body, being her "hair". That means that she is now able to fly whenever she wants. She also still has an Entry Plug, even though it is virtually useless.

The main problem for this entity is her behavior. She has more or less the mentality of a baby, toying with tanks and having next to no knowledge about the world.

She was nicknamed "Crimson A1" by NERV JAPAN, much to Hikari's dismay. The latter told the others to call her "Asuka" in order to return her to her former human self. After a failed attempt to bring back Asuka to her normal self, she was absorbed into another dimension.

She would later come back as an enemy as the Torwartα1'. The latter has virtually the same appearance as Crimson A1 but with a black and a much darker red color scheme.

I see. ANIMA strikes me as basically fully-sanctioned fanfic designed to extract money from Eva fans through new models Evas with even dumber names

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

2reachmu posted:

Something on the more interesting/weird doujin side of EVA related ephemera.
https://twitter.com/MSX68060/status/1251178341446500357

a few weeks ago someone on my twitter was tweeting about how there are no Big Robot fighting games and mentioned that a game where you can fight as all of the Eva units and (most of the) angels would be really cool, and I realized that I think we missed out on a late-era SNES sprite-based fighting game for Eva that would go along with all of the other anime fighters from that period, just really bad and only made with the first 13 episodes in mind so all the weird non-canonical arcade mode endings are hilarious in retrospect and they somehow came up with a moveset for Ramiel who is randomly the same size as all the Evas

someone should make that in the same engine they used to make that Gundam game that got repurposed into a Power Rangers game, that's exactly what level of quality I'm talking about.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 22, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

all of the UNIQLO Evangelion t-shirts from this link are coming to the US sometime in June! They're not all great but I want at the very least the Kaworu and Unit-02 Beast Mode shirts. The ones pictured above are also pretty good. It kinda bums me out that Uniqlo does less of the patterns that take up the whole shirt than they used to; none of the shirts from this set are nearly as cool as the set they released literally a decade ago when 2.0 came out, but those are impossible to find and Uniqlo barely existed in the US in 2010! Look at these, any one of these would probably be better than the shirts we're getting this time around:

of course, you might be thinking "oh man, it's probably gonna be awkwardly timed considering the movie got delayed back to 'eh, sometime in the future'" which is true, but honestly 3.0+1.0 is probably finished and just waiting for the COVID outbreak to slow down before releasing, so it's not like they've got an entire line ready to go for a movie that got pushed back a whole year because the animation studio finishing had to close because of COVID.

lol

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vinylshadow posted:

There's something oddly fitting about live-action Evangelion only being used to promote phones rather than a full-on movie

...granted, after FMA, (Netflix) Death Note, and Attack on Titan, perhaps it's for the best?

make a Hollywood Eva movie but instead of a retelling of the show it's focussed on the NERV branch in Nevada that's building 03 and 04, have a couple "chosen kids" there ready to go and doing all the test work and at the end they install the s2 engine in 04, everyone explodes, Unit 03 gets shipped to JP and you know what happens next

edit: you could probably slip Kaji and Kaworu in there at some point, and/or have the opening be the Unit-02 fight against Gahagiel where some protagonist was assigned to one of the UN ships then gets transferred to NERVada to act as the UN rep watching over the production

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 29, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Raxivace posted:

After he's done with Rebuild I hope he tries some more low-key arthouse stuff like Love & Pop and Ritual. Or even another rom-com like Kare Kano.

I'll also take Shin Godzilla 2.

I mean first things first, his reward for finishing Rebuild is making Shin Ultraman.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

That "cube angel" design is neat at least

I bet every SFX place on the planet would love to do Eva just to come up with a million insane angel designs that would probably not work on film.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

maybe back in 1997, but I bet there are a ton of japanese grill dads out there dying for a unit-01 hose reel. all those shinjis grew up to be gendos.

Mamas, don't let your shinjis grow up to be gendos
Don't let 'em make robots or build the geofront
Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such

Mamas don't let your shinjis grow up to be gendos
'Cause they'll make teenage clones and they're always alone
Even with someone they have no feelings for but can use to ultimately bring their master plan to bring humanity together in instrumentality so they can be with their dead wife again to fruition

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Midjack posted:

Been a long time coming.

Amount of time between the theatrical release of End of Evangelion and Rebuild 1.0: 10 years, 2 months, 11 days

Amount of time between Rebuild 3.0 and the (currently scheduled...) theatrical release of 3.0+1.0: 8 years, 2 months, 6 days

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It’s funny that like 2-3 years ago “which do we get first, an English Blu-ray set of the series/movies or the last rebuild movie?” would be a joke but now it’s just two things that actually coming at a TBD moment this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Crustashio posted:

Yeah you can't really turn subtitles on with english audio in the netflix dub. Just too many variances between the two.

Personally, the netflix dub is OK. It has issues with odd sounding dialog but I think most of the voice actors do a pretty good job (esp Shinji). It was the first way I watched Eva and I still thought it was one of the best shows I've ever watched.

I have since got my hands on the original dub and am about to start my second watchthrough. Curious to see just how different it is.

Netflix: The actors are better but the words they say are worse. The old dub is spotty as hell but the adaptation is way more interesting and less formal. Both of which can be chalked up to “Anime in America in the mid 1990s”