Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
So I have a question: I'm getting ready to go for my second medical, not second class medical, but my first renewal (loving special issue medical). I remember filling out a form last year before my first medical, where one question said "Is this your first medical application"

Question is do I need to fill out any papers to bring with me to the AME like I did the first time, or do I just schedule with the AME and show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

AWSEFT posted:

Schedule and fill the papers out online.

So am I filling out a new 85008 and submitting my 'application' to the FAA? They don't have it in their database from last year?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The NAC video was probably the worst thing I've seen online. :smith:

The helplessness... :negative:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Did a few instrument training flights (simulated) over the last few days. Yesterday flew my first VOR approach (overloaded my brain) and LOC approach. Today was great, got to do my first ILS approach which was boatloads of fun! :D Can't wait to get out and do it again! Oh yeah and some simple RNAV approaches. Seriously though there was just so much going on with that VOR approach. I know it was my first time and it will get easier but man at this point I couldn't imagine doing that in actual, single pilot, and talking to ATC.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I will be relocating to the Baltimore area for school in the fall. Does anyone have experience flying out of Martin State (KMTN)? There seem to be 2 flight schools there, Brett Aviation and Middle River Aviation. Has anyone had experience with either of these schools?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

While we're on the subject of guns, what is the general consensus of the 121 guys around here on the Federal Flight Deck Officer program (for those who don't know, allows volunteer pilots to carry concealed weapons on the flight deck in hopes of stopping Al Qaeda from crashing another airplane)?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Pretty much the latter as long as the aircraft doesn't enter type rating territory and so long as the weather conditions don't enter IMC strata. Then it follows down to the old adage "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" You should probably familiarize yourself with your airports and verify that there are no training requirements. Off the top of my head you're required to have familiarization training if you're going to be operating within 100nm of DC and Andrews...

I am an FRZ pilot. It's a 60 nm ring around the DCA VOR that requires special awareness training.

E: And then another online course to become aware of the SFRA rules and procedures

And then visiting DCA to get fingerprinted by the TSA and a visit to the Dulles FSDO to make sure you arent a terrorist before operating into or out of the FRZ

:suicide:

Rickety Cricket fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 22, 2013

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I was under the impression the AirTran 717's were going to start relieving the aging MD80 fleet

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

The FAA has something similar which can be found here: http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_guides/

So the ATP Written is only 80 questions? For some reason I thought it was like.. 500 questions.

Of course I'm years from it.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

So are enroute controllers tracon, center, or yes? Will someone passing enroute training end up in Potomac TRACON or NY Center? Also will passing the tower training land you at IAD or in Salisbury, Maryland?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

HE4T posted:

Well finally got my medical after basically spending a couple grand to prove to the FAA that I never had ADD in the first place which I took adderall for as a child. First solo next week. Can't wait to finish up my training and start enjoying it knowing I will be able to finish.

Congrats, had to dance through the same hoops, felt great to get the medical in hand and finish!

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Richlove posted:

Is this skill something that will just "click" with time and practice? I have a yoke and rudder pedals for FSX however my CFI told me this will likely not help me specifically with landing.

Yes. It is something that will come with time. Practice makes perfect. I don't think I landed on the centerline once before getting my PPL.

FSX is worthless when it comes to handling/general feel/landing, especially in the lighter planes. It is most useful for learning instrument procedures and general fuckery.

Keep pushing, you'll get it soon enough!

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The Slaughter posted:

Trying to relocate a plane on the east coast this week is stupid. You have a window between 10am when the morning poo poo burns off and 1pm when it gets all crazy convective.

#summer

It's annoying as poo poo. This is my first summer with my PPL so I'm learning that I cannot schedule somethign in the afternoon, as the constant plethora of convective sigmets will keep me grounded. So I finally flew earlier in the morning this past week, before the thermals and poo poo came around, aside from being hazy to the point I could barely see the horizon, it was *beautiful*. Whereabouts on the east coast are you?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

Sounds like it's time for some people to invest in an instrument rating. It won't really help with the thunderstorms, unless you have wx radar, but it'll certainly help out on those foggy mornings.

Currently building the XC time for IR

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The Proc posted:

Is that Istanbul?

Believe this was in in Egypt

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Animal posted:

Its too early to jump into conclusions as to what was going on in that cockpit, but I will throw this out there even though it might be a little politically incorrect: when I was a CFI, I had Asian students (as in, just got off a plane from Asia, not as in racially) who would have easily gone CFIT on a perfectly clear day if the automation was telling them to go there, unless I intervened. We have talked about this here, and I hate to be insensitive of other cultures, but the truth is that they are taught since childhood that individuality is a great evil. And so everything that comes with it, including initiative and adaptability, are to be frowned upon. By the time they are adults instruction is not just teaching something new, its basically a reprogramming, I could see through their eyes that their brain was going "DOES NOT COMPUTE" whenever I would tell them to throw The Book out the window in certain situations.

You put someone like that in a heavy aircraft with a lot of inertia, in a visual approach with no glideslope, and pray that the person sitting on the other seat will have a different mindset.

Right, The Slaughter?

Were you teaching Korean students, Chinese students, or students from all over Asia? I've heard the things you're saying about Chinese students but I wouldn't say that every Asian culture is the same as theirs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also why is it such a big deal that it was his first landing at SFO with less than 50 hours? You don't switch to a new type and magically start with 1000+ hours, it has to start somewhere. And a runway is a runway is a runway. All of us here have flown plenty of new places without crashing.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Rolo posted:

I'm a commercial pilot! Passed my comm multi just now, hoo yes I did.

Congrats! Do you have to do a separate checkride to get a commercial single?

Also, for the 121 guys here, what happens to the pilots in the case of AAR214? Will the captain in training be demoted to FO or canned altogether? I'm sure the check captain he was (presumably) with will get the axe. How about the relief crew? Any repercussions for them as they weren't the ones flying at the time?

Edit: Subjects help

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

Not to beat a dead horse that has already been thoroughly flogged in this thread but this is going to be a thing now:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/2120-AJ67.pdf

A few days ago I had a schedule almost identical to Rebecca Shaws the night of the accident. It worked out OK though because I have an ATP and she didn't. Those little words printed on a piece of plastic meant that I was impervious to fatigue and the stress caused by my impending displacement and life sucking commute*

*I want to move to base but I'm about to be displaced to who knows where in the next few months so moving until I find out is pointless.

So is this ,essentially, the new rules as of Aug. 1, 2013? I remember reading a lot of speculation because I guess the rules had not been officially released. Is this that official release?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

azflyboy posted:

There's also a new ATP written going into effect as well.

Apparently the FAA figured out that most people just rote-memorize the current ATP written questions to pass the test, so they're creating a new written exam that will require specific training to take effective August 1.

If you complete the ATP written before that date, it'll be grandfathered in under the new regs.

I'm screwed 4 years from now lolz

EDIT:
As I'm reading through this I keep reading ATP and 1,500 hours, with no mention of cross country. Are they amending the 500 hour xc requirement? Cause that seems like a heluva lot of xc time to build while instructing.

Rickety Cricket fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 11, 2013

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

TIL you MUST use autoland under IFR. Jesus.

Tell me more, guy whose friend flies 777! :allears:

EDIT: Just looked up the flight school they did that bit at, "california airways". Per their website "Interested in learning how to fly? Take an intro flight for just $298." Hahahaha for the low low price of 300 dollars you get 30 minutes in a sim and 40 minutes in the air.

They do offer time in a King Air for $300 an hour which actually doesn't seem that bad. If one wanted to pay for King Air time for whatever reason.

Rickety Cricket fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 12, 2013

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Logged my first hour of actual today! Almost a full hour of hard IFR, it was incredible!! Flying in the clouds was awesome and flying above them was so beautiful. I can't wait to do it again! If anyone flew into DCA or IAD today you saw the rainy/crappy day we had. So pretty up top though :)

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Jesus, haha. We got out there at 118 kts in a 172P which I think is the fastest GS I've seen so far. It was crazy smooth out today. Just a little bumpy in the climb out and descent, but even in hard IFR at 5,000 was smooth as glass.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Got checked out in my schools 172SP (the 'trip' plane) this morning (training fleet are all 172P). Man that's a nice plane! Loved tinkering with the autopilot and using the electric trim, not to mention the ergonomic yoke. It also has a Garmin 496 with weather. The only thing I need to get used to is the KLN94 GPS, the 430 seems much simpler to me. Now I can really start going on cross countries!

I'm sure most people here have flown far nicer, but this is a nice step up for me!

Unrelated, I just got a thing in the mail from the FAA congratulating me on my new certificate, which I got almost 6 months ago. Yay

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

So it looks like anyone can apply for the restricted ATP with 200 hours xc as long as they meet the other req's (1500 TT, night, instrument, etc)! That makes a lot more sense. 500 hours xc is nothing for an FO who does that day to day, but that's a lot of time for other folks.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=e0720cf809bea1d89dd05eac17233d5a&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.7.1.8&idno=14

"(e) A person who applies for an airline transport pilot certificate under the total flight times listed in paragraphs (a), (b), and (c) of this section must otherwise meet the aeronautical experience requirements of § 61.159, except that the person may apply for an airline transport pilot certificate with 200 hours of cross-country flight time.

(f) A person who has 1,500 hours total time as a pilot, 200 hours of cross-country flight time, and otherwise meets the aeronautical experience requirements of § 61.159 may apply for an airline transport pilot certificate under this section."

On the subject of regulations: Does the 8 hr rule apply to ALL pilots? Just commercial pilots? Just 121 crew?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Airplane Repo just referred to a kingair as a jet. Thanks Discovery!

The Slaughter posted:

Pft, then why did I bother to get 500XC? I just hit it like last week. If I can get 1000TT with 500XC and all the other ATP requirements, the other instructors just aren't trying enough...
Also, 8 hour rule certainly isn't "all pilots", part 91 has no 8 hour rule and you can operate commercially under 91.

So is a private pilot limited to an 8 hour day? What about a CFI?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

fknlo posted:

but they'll do poo poo that no one else seems to be able or willing to pull off in the en route phase

Can you elaborate?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

A week of firsts for me! Logged my first 7.0 hour day flying from DC (KVKX) to Moline, IL (KMLI) via Zanesville, OH (ZZV) and Kankakee, IL (KIKK) in a Cardinal 177. Later that night my first commercial go around (passenger this time) flying into DCA on the river visual 19. The next day a flight to LAX, my first time to the west coast, to visit distant family. Did some spotting at the In-n-Out, got some good pictures, by chance even saw a United 787! Drive up to SFO, flew back to IAD on a 757. Exciting week.

49.8 XC PIC hours, and 23 instrument now!

E: Forgot to ask, what is the FAA policy on aspirin while flying? My cheap headset gave me the worst loving headache by the end of that day.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Animal posted:

I am about to fly from LGA to GSO at 6,000ft MSL... In a CRJ-700... 420nm...

wtf

Why so low? How much extra fuel is that gonna burn? Positioning or revenue?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wow, ZZV is my hometown. How'd you like the fancy FBO that's always vacant because nobody flies there? :hfive:

That FBO was beautiful... and empty. Haha. The ramp was pretty empty, other than us the only thing I saw was a Citation V. Great people and great facility though!

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The Slaughter posted:

One of the engines is MEL'd perhaps

Wait could someone expand on this? MEL is minimum equipment list, right? Why would an MEL engine cause them to cruise at 6,000?

(In my private pilot mind I read that as one engine is inop but it's okay by MEL to fly so they decided to go at 6,000 ft on one engine, which doesn't make any sense to me)

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Knockknees posted:

So, as long as you buy a data ready ipad, you don't necessarily need to activate a data plan? This is something I've been wondering about a lot because I don't want to pay for a data plan that I would only be using in the plane... but I'd really really like to buy a tablet and be able to use one of these fancy navigation apps.

Correct, you'll still have the built in GPS. HOWEVER, I use the ipad mini wifi and an external Dual GPS. The price of the Dual is cheaper than paying the ~150$ more for the Cell version of the ipad, and it (external gps) will get better location data. The only downside is it's another thing to charge and keep track of, but I absolutely love it.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Infinotize posted:

Holy poo poo... that's my airport. I wonder if it was an engine failure (total guess). That place always makes me wonder because there is pretty much nowhere to go if you lost it at a low altitude - the area is either dense, or wooded, or highway, not many open fields or farms.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-plane-crash-20130902,0,3335473.story

I did a few lessons out of W00, but ultimately got my PPL at KVKX, your neighbor on the Potomac river. I actually just moved up to B'more for school, so I will most likely end up flying out of KMTN. Going to check it out tomorrow actually.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

ProFootballGuy posted:

the chief instructor was yelling in my ear and asking me questions all the way down. I was halfway to telling him to shut the gently caress up,

Next time tell him to shut the gently caress up and answer him on the ground. Part of his job (and the exainers job, as per the PTS) is to provide a realistic distraction and see how you handle it. Tell him you'll answer any questions on the ground and need to concentrate on the task at hand.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Thanks for the definition of SJS. I didn't realize DCA made people take a picture with the mascot upon signing.

Do you get any sorts of flight privileges as a benefit? I have a friend who's a scheduler for another regional and she quickly used them to go to St. Maarten and Cancun not long after getting hired, but I didn't know if that was common of most regionals.

When I interviewed for Air Wisconsin (as a ramp guy) they told us you had to work for the company for 6 months before recieving privileges, but after that you got the flight benefits n what have you.

Rickety Cricket fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 11, 2013

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I would also like to see a sector map. Haven't been able to find anything like that.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Have no idea what ESP is, but my old flight school has a redbird non-motion simulator that I swear is running FSX. When we loaded up at the airport I was like hey this looks exactly like it does at home. Why can't I log time I fly at home? I've got a yoke and throttle. As Slaughter said the 430 (as well as all other instruments) was a massive headache. You can't spin the dial too quickly or the computer won't register. Not to mention it doesn't fly anything like a real plane.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

New school I'm going to finish up my IR with has both six pack and G1000 172S's. I'll finish up the IR in the six packs since that's what I've been flying with, but eventually I'd like to start flying with glass. Is that something worth logging? Like using one of the extra columns in my logbook as a glass cockpit column?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Thanks for the feedback guys. DNova, I like that idea about making a note in the back saying nXXXXX is glass, I think I'll do that

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Driving home just now, wanted to steer with my feet so badly. Also am I the only one here who can not poo poo on cue?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

I had several PSA, Compass, and Eagle friends debating this on Facebook today. Any link to details on the full TA?

Here's a summary http://www.stopthewhipsaw.com/PSA_TA.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

Also: I'd like to fully recommend CloudAhoy.com

CloudAhoy is the poo poo. I like to use it when doing tracking (IR student) to see how good my tracking vs 'homing' is

Everyone go get CloudAhoy

ITS FREE

• Locked thread