Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
What do you guys think of the pilot mills like TransPac (Phoenix), and US Aviation (Denton/Sherman TX)? I ask because I was canned last week from another 141 flight school. Awkward story, I'll PM if someone reeeeaally wants the details. Anyways I'm looking for another instructing gig but I'd really prefer something a little different...Slaughter, is that aero photo firm hiring still? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Bang your student?

No I wish, never had any hot students. It was in regards to pass rate on stage checks at a 141 school.

Which job sites do you guys recommend? I'm debating between signing up for Climbto350 or WillFlyForFood, I'm loathe to the idea of paying a job search but if it's what gets me ahead in this drat industry...

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 10, 2013

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

At least SOMEONE is getting poo poo done, my streak of bad luck continues. Broke my clavicle at a memorial day party at my house last week, getting surgery this Wednesday to reset it with titanium pins. So not only am I grounded for several months, I get to explain that fun poo poo on every future medical and every time I go through TSA. something tells me that maybe I should start looking for a different career...:smithcloud:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Come down to Texas and be my CFI Instructor?

:raise: I'd have to check my logbook to see if I meet the mins for part 61 CFI instruction, but at the very least I don't see why we can't do some ground via Skype or something like that. Where are you located in TX ?

Also fellow instructors, any recommendations on how to advertise my services for ground tutoring? I may not be able to fly for a few weeks but I'd like to retain my knowledge while still making a few :20bux: on the side.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

No joy on the link, try again?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Just to clarify my understanding of the ATP rulings, if I go take the written exam before August 1, I just have to worry about hitting 1500 TT and the rest of the hourly requirements before 5 years is up, correct? Otherwise I'm in a world of hurt if I take after August 1, having to deal with certain "training" and other BS...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

After a short hiatus of collarbone recovery and much bullshitting with my part-time employer, a local flight school has taken pity on me and hired me full-time (with salary!), with a standardization flight scheduled saturday morning.

The only catch? It's training Chinese students :suicide: I don't think it's going to be that bad, but I definitely need to practice my instructional skills, seeing I haven't flown/taught in three months...tonight's study session is consisting of reading and re-reading the standardization manual for the school while consuming plenty of scotch. I think tomorrow I'm going to corral some friends/coworkers and try teaching(!) a few ground lessons (!!!).

Let's hope I don't gently caress up saturday :smithcloud:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Animal posted:

Hahahahahahahaha...

Seriously good luck and I hope you build a lot of hours fast.

That's the plan, it's a year contract so I hopefully I don't die before the year is up

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

.. contract? What? is this CAE? transpac? why would you sign a contract to be a flight instructor?

Nope, local school in KSLC. I like the idea of having a salary so that I can still make some money in bad weather, plus I'm getting four instrument students to start with. Haven't signed any paperwork yet so I'm sure I can back out if the need arises...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Might've been discussed in the last thread, but what's the consensus on tablets? Is everyone leaning towards the ipad/ipad mini or is there some Android use as well? I like the aspect ratio on a lot of the 7" android tablets but overall there just seems to be a lot more available for the ipad...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Crossposting this from the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

Went to a charity fundraiser for UAL this weekend at O'Hare. It was difficult deciding what was sexier, the girls or the plane.

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 12, 2013

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

sellouts posted:

How could the answer not be the plane?

What kind of stuff were they auctioning off?

I think some of the more bizarre items included a couple galley carts, some china from first class, and parts of the signs from their buildings in Chicago (:confused: )

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Heh, haven't checked in an awhile and the ATC chatter made me giggle a little bit about my current situation.

Update: none of my :china: students have killed me (yet), and I've already racked up 250 hours in the past few months working at this new school. Still, it doesn't compensate for the language barrier...

ATC: [callsign], Turn heading XXX, intercept the LOC, cleared for the ILS 3 OGD approach :)
Student: Uh, erm, [pause]...say again!
ATC: Turn heading XXX and intercept localizer, cleared approach, [callsign] :(

Meanwhile I'm having to bite my tongue because I honestly want these guys to comprehend what ATC is telling them...

Student: :downs: turn heading [completely wrong] and intercept approach
ATC: :doh: [callsign], is there anyone else on board?
Me: :cripes: yes, turn heading XXX, intercept the LOC, and we're cleared for the ILS "X" miles from WULFE
ATC: Thanks!

The Slaughter posted:

I assume the noise cancelling is enough for a jet, but how does it work for say a Brasilia?

Is someone gunning for a job at SkyWest? :smug: One of the students has the QC15/uflymic setup and from what he said it works pretty well in the C172, almost the same as the A20 noise canceling.

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 4, 2013

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Welcome to my day on Sunday. Every. Single. Airplane.

do you ever get guys asking about sport scores? I remember doing a night cross country back in October, and a few people checking in on center asking about the world series.

fknlo posted:

Yeah, except you get the guy that was told he would get bad rides, has been on frequency for 5+ minutes while numerous other aircraft check on and are told about the bad rides or are complaining about the bad rides who then chimes in with a "Center, Delta 126 starting to get some moderate chop, what are the rides like?". Want to spin that guy so bad.

what do you ATC guys do to punish annoying pilots? As amusing as it sounds, I don't think I want to find out what getting "spun" is :pwn:

And since everyone else has done it:

2013: was fired from my first CFI gig (at the college I learned to fly at, no less) and got hired teaching Chinese to fly :smithicide:

I really hope 2014 turns out better career-wise.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

From the "civilian with a military base nearby" POV, I trained in Dayton, OH out of DAY and MGY. It was emphasized, much like if you watched Rocko's Modern Life and saw the driving school episode with "Don't get the fat guy!", that you don't ever even loving think of busting Wright-Patterson's airspace ever. You could get away with it if you were on with Dayton Approach (if coming from the South, ask for touch and gos on or an ILS to 24L at DAY for a great view of the USAF Museum and the WPAFB flight line), but there are some areas off to the East of the Dayton Metro where you could be in Class E and bust WPAFB's Delta errantly.

I get to deal with this on a near daily basis:

It certainly makes departing runway 16 interesting, you don't want to know how many times I've yelled at students to turn crosswind before busting HAFB class D airspace...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

I opened a door intentionally on my student to see if he would do the checklist. This was in an Archer though

I know for a fact when my students don't do the pre-takeoff checklist (they just read it) when they'll say the doors are latched and then I hear a whistling sound in the pattern from the left side of the 172 :v:

Also, headset chat: just bought the Dave Clark PRO-X and they're surprisingly awesome. ANR, bluetooth, TSO'd AND they cost half as much as the BOSE A20s :yayclod:

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 7, 2014

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Are those the ones that are on ear? I've been eyeballing a set of those for a while.

Yeah, they're on ear versus over ear, but really comfortable and quiet when the ANR is on. Otherwise they're like any other headset when the ANR is off. my only complaint so far is the location and accessibility of the auto off and stereo/mono switches, but it's only a minor detail.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

nice try :dong:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 18, 2014

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

ausgezeichnet posted:

They hosed it up, but good. Probably an FMS entry error that caused them to try and rotate way before true Vr. Check those decimals carefully, Folks.

Christ, they must have started hiring students from my flight school (we've had 10 tailstrikes in the last 6 months. Avemco is trying to ditch everyone's policies :vince: )

hailthefish posted:

By "EconoLodge" you mean "In the lobby of an EconoLodge" right?

nah he probably means one of the crack houses hotels near EWR or LAX

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

The worst part is I'm finishing my riddle degree through worldwide- it IS an aviation BS. But because I didn't train at Embry Riddle's 141 school for instrument and commercial, I can't get the exemption. Never mind that I /taught/ and was standardized at another part 141 school, allowed to teach 141 that met the same standards as the Riddle program, but I didn't LEARN under it and pay them the big $$$ so 1500 for you, sir.

:smithcloud::hf::mad: My alma mater managed to get approval under the new regs, but because I finished my commercial under part 61 and not 141, I was mildly upset at the school that I didn't qualify for the R-ATP (who the hell knew that it was going to screw me over, I was trying to save money at the time). So yeah, I can understand your frustration at having the experience but not jumping through the right hoops for the lower mins.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Not too good but unfortunately that's competitive and probably beats first year regional pay

You're probably right, but how well do you think you're going to handle students that barely have a grasp on English, much less on flying? I ask because I've been instructing in a similar situation for the last 8 months. Like Slaughter, I'm close to losing my mind and am counting down the hours until I can bail for SkyWest or Horizon.

With that being said, I've flown close to 600 hours since starting last year and am on track to reach Part 135 mins at the end of June :stonklol:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

So there's going to be an air show at KHIF starting tomorrow, which is going to be awesome since the thunderbirds are in town and I've already seen some cool poo poo flying in for the event.:woop:

What's not so awesome is the TFR that's going to severely handicap my instructing for the next 3 days.:smithcloud:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

atehist posted:

Why not go on a few long multiple day cross-country flights? Not only will you eat up more hours, but it will be a great opportunity to see the country and/or the USA, and you will learn a hell of a lot at the same time. This is probably the only time in your life you will have such an opportunity and/or funds to do extravagant flying trips.

Speaking of which, this was my Monday morning:

What it doesn't show is that we continued down to So Cal to KSEE, or that it was a flight of 2 C172s :argh:
What's even better is that we flew back commercially, so I didn't have to deal with the torture of organizing a return flight with the same two students I flew down with.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Anybody going to Oshkosh this year? I ask because some random dude found my email off the AOPA CFI directory and wants me to fly with him there for the week, in a M20J no less :yayclod:

I'm still debating if it's worth the week of unpaid leave from teaching my foreign students...

(I'm pretty sure I'm going to go)

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Rolo posted:

Edit: Going with Dauntless for iPad, so far I like it. Last question: I'm registered for the 135 ATP because it has fewer questions and I heard it was easier. This isn't a mistake, is it? I can always change but I don't want to get too far into studying for the 135.

Do you plan on working for any airline in the near future? If so, you're studying for the wrong test as almost every regional is requiring the 121 ATP.

KodiakRS posted:

Shep air, memorize what you can, guess the middle answer on what you can't. Easy way to get %85. The ATPw isn't about aeronautical knowledge, it's a test of you ability to jump through hoops and put up with archaic and often asinine FAA requirements. Good skills to have as an airline pilot.

I'm going to do wonderful at [insert carrier here] then, since I got a 95% :mmmhmm:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Finally got my commercial multi (add-on) last tuesday, one step closer to getting out of instructing...AWSEFT, update the OP if you don't mind :c00l:

Too bad I did the checkride in this dumb thing:

(I'm talking about the Tecnam, not the badass Harrier behind it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

e.pilot posted:

It's a pretty neat dumb thing. I have an unreasonable lust for one.

In a nutshell, twin rotax with the performance of a 182.

Pretty much, it has almost the same V speeds as the PA28R I used to fly.

Rickety Cricket posted:

Are you hosed if you lose an engine in that thing? Like more hosed than in another light twin? Wiki says it has a whopping 98 hp

e.pilot posted:

Has a 7k ceiling iirc.

In Utah during the summer, it's bad. Like really loving bad. Like so bad some of the instructors refuse to fly it during the day due to density altitude concerns. Plus the maintenance issues and parts scarcity from it being an airplane no one has ever seen before doesn't make flying it any easier. The power per engine is only 92.5hp continuous, with 98 hp at takeoff.

I can't believe we have three of the dumb things, I guess the cheaper sticker price and capability to use mogas was better than buying a couple used Senecas :cry:

KodiakRS posted:

Performance wise it looks similar to the PA-44 so when you lose an engine it turns into a half decent glider that makes a lot of noise and doesn't want to fly straight. On the plus side, it's probably really drat hard to vMC roll the thing.

Previous ranting aside, it's a really docile airplane to fly. I took my checkride having only flown 3-4 hours in it...granted, that was after the 7 hours I started with in a 1960ish Cessna 310 :black101:

• Locked thread