Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Amechra posted:

So, my question is... which should I cover?

You know the answer, but do Argh! first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bitchtits McGee posted:

I sometimes find myself trying to imagine the sort of person who'd actually play these things I'm writing about. Occasionally, I'm successful. However, I can't ever seem to imagine their hentai role-playing experience actually being enhanced by stats, rules, and die rolls. There's just no demand for this product that I can see.

I'm sure as long as the rolling leaves one hand free at all times they're happy. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Remember that Mors also did In Nomine, but spun it off to its own thread because he was afraid he would drown out F&F in a deluge of words the likes of which hadn't been seen since his 7th Sea overview.

Also, someone do Vast & Starlit please.

I would have liked to see the In Nomine review completed. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

Can someone link his In Nomine thread? I'm interested.

It hit archives a few months ago:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510404&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Inside the mists is a cursed siren. She's good-aligned, but you can't see her in the mist, and the only way to let her out is to ask her to come out-- and of course she can't tell the PCs this. Anyone stepping into the mist must save vs. poison or "become idiots until they can breathe the clean air above ground under the warm sun."

The siren's a pretty cool lady, and if the PCs free her she will be appropriately grateful and be their friend and adventuring buddy for life. She doesn't fight all that well but has a bunch of useful spell-like abilities, including charm person, suggestion, polymorph self, invisiblity, and the ability to heal "idiocy." She comes with two sacks, one large and one small. The big one is a bag of holding fulla cash, the small one has randomly determined contents that could be anything from wool to useful magic items. There's a catch, though. Asking the siren to accompany the party causes the sacks to disappear forever; touching either sack causes the other sack and the siren to disappear forever. You cannot touch them both simultaneously. The siren doesn't really know anything about the TOMB OF HORRORS (she was just abducted and placed here).

For some reason this makes me sad. She's just stuck in there for who knows how long, and then some rescuers show up, check out her stuff, and POOF! she's dead. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guess what they do with the spell Wither Limb and win no prize.

Mechanics are included.:ohdear:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Demon posted:

I would love to see someone cover the Prisoner RPG. I can't even begin to imagine how that would work.

I have the GURPS Prisoner book too. It's a good companion to the TV series; there is a lot of background to the show and a bunch of detailed episode synopses. There were also some specific ideas on things to do to evoke the surreal paranoia atmosphere but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

These glyphs, when read, unleash a 20th-level dispel magic. Spell, active magic items, potions, and everything else instantly fails.

It's... it's beautiful.

Cards on the table: I laughed at this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Did they source this from somewhere? These are some pointlessly spergy numbers!

They did, actually:

http://archive.opm.gov/oca/pre1994/GS1993.asp

They used the same step as the grade for GS-1 through GS-10 and then kept GS-11 through GS-15 at step 10.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Aha, thank you! Something about the numbers just felt too... weird to have been pulled out of somebody's rear end. Now I'm wondering if that was the result of someone getting fussy about their military-related verisimilitude or, like the bulk of the writing, apparently meant to fill page space.

Probably both, and I suspect one of the writers was a federal employee or had a relative who was at the time.

The General Schedule is what most US Government civilian employees are paid on. Above GS there are some senior grades that loosely correspond to military flag rank for the various federal services (Senior Executive Service, SES, is the most common).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

And... well, that's the whole thing! Hey, I said this would be an easy post. Still, I'm curious if anyone has knowledge of (or better yet, actual copies of) some of the games shown here, many of which predate my own experience in the hobby.

My dad has a bunch of old TSR stuff from that epoch. I'll go through his collection next time I'm at my parents' house.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Punting posted:

No, those are the right damage values for nukes. Says a lot about the game really.

Some (a lot) of the science-fiction Palladium RPGs had gonzo weapons. The Reflex Gun on the SDF-1 in Robotech has a range of 60,000 miles and instantly destroys anything in its path, no save possible. Also no height or width of the beam, apparently!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Finally a setting that lives up to its cover art.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FourmyleCircus posted:

Part of me really wants to go over the poo poo in the WGA package... but for now, here is the experience chart.

Where's the bonus for illustrating someone being transformed and subsequently eaten?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Once again, all the art in this "chapter" (Palladium, for whatever reason, never uses chapters) is reused from other sources. But at least we have time for part two of "First-Timer"!

Winking is something you do to imply a hidden meaning, Toothpick, not when you're out-and-out insulting somebody and pointing at them. Why are you such an rear end in a top hat, Toothpick? :(

Dude just wants to blaze rainbows all over the place. :gifttank:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AccidentalHipster posted:

If you want me to continue the review, please say so. Otherwise I might assume that nobody cares and go do something else. I'm a rookie on these forums after all and I don't even know if I need to do anything other than just post a review for it to get made "official".

I don't think anyone in either thread has said "no, stop" and they aren't likely to say it to you, either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Adnachiel posted:

Alright.

Hex-O is credited with this monstrosity.:nms: I was under the impression that they were an in-verse producer of educational materials and the disclaimer for the thing you're talking about was just a way to cover their rear end from... magical lawsuits or something.

The goat head erupting from her crotch there is definitely a thing, all right. For sure.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Majuju posted:

What on earth is happening with those boobs?!

It looks like 2004 Drew Barrymore was the model for the one on the left.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

But... "bogie" refers to an aircraft or UFO (as in unidentified, not alien), not robots...

Obviously they mean this Bogie:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They'll tell you Model Ts are coming back, man.

The president of the company will (allegedly) tell you this from the driver's seat of his Honda Civic, too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

RIFTS, where the answer to 'why don't they install the completely disembodied brain in the chest cavity, and use the head as a periscope?' is 'Sigh. Because.'

The mini-missiles at weird angles thing has always annoyed me, beyond deciding that cooling vanes or exhaust stacks are really launchers. Straight back to their debut in the later era Robotech books, the things have explicitly been high-yield dumb-fire rockets, sacrificing guidance packages for a bit more bang. If they were the somewhat larger, self-guided SRMs, maybe they could pull that fire asswise, loop around stunt.

Speaking of Robotech, I think that's why all the missiles are mini-missiles. Palladium (TM) had the Robotech RPG back in the 80s, and all the robots in that universe spam missiles like crazy at the slightest provocation. Since a real F-14 could only carry 8 full size missiles the solution was to have the Robotech not-F-14s carry mini-missiles instead of full size missiles. Given Kev's copy/paste sensibilities, some of the equipment from Robotech probably made it into later books verbatim, and while it may have started as an accident, it seems mini-missiles are a Palladium (TM) trademark.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I think they use the mini missiles on that barge for propulsion. Defuse a few, strap 'em on here and there, and let inertia do the rest! :v:

You have my undying affection for using "defuse" rather than "diffuse".

Davin Valkri posted:

Did Rifts ever have aspirations to being a miniatures wargame like Warhammer? Or did somebody just feel the need to detail a bunch of vehicles with "Not for players!" stamped on them?

They made a couple of blister packs of miniatures but there were never any miniatures rules published for Rifts. As far as I know the Robotech kickstarter thing that just happened is Palladium's first foray into a miniatures ruleset.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looking at that thing why does it have a satellite dish if all the satellites are inaccessible to earth?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

I read some random German or French comic about a long haul trucker battling weird bad guys and having sex with sexy witches. It could work.

We can call it Ley Line Fever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FourmyleCircus posted:

On an related note, I have gotten shanghaied into running WGA... possibly using Mystic to do the GMing because they want me to play my alchemist. I'm not sure who to curse for this. Probably myself.

ABORT ABORT ABORT NOOO

Edit: your other post makes it worse.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If I were in hell and had to run Robotech or Macross in a Rifts crossover power sources are one of the first things I'd remove as a headache (travel through the rift opened a permanent rift from a dimension made entirely of protoculture into your gas tank or something) unless you want to antagonize your players. Make them stop to get food and empty the pee bottles or something if you need to break up a trip.

That or plan the campaign such that it would end before anyone ran out of gas.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wdarkk posted:

That reminds me, I went to a panel about "writing the hard stuff" at the Escapist Expo, and a guy there said he wrote the Holocaust sourcebook for OWOD, so I'm kind of interested in seeing that at some point.
Charnel Houses of Europe, for Wraith. That was a cheery tome.

If I remember right it was actually not terrible but still, I wouldn't want to be in a game with it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Surely there are no more Rifts books left? Please say there are none left.

ahahahahahahahaha

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

But the Wick lit at both ends burns twice as fast!

You don't get quality double puns like that very often. Well done.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

From my old rear end copy of Munchkin: "unless you have a card that lets you cheat or the other players don’t catch you."

I hear they took that line out of later editions of the rules. Thank loving god. Early games of that poo poo were insufferable because of that one line.

SJ Games knew better than that years ago. In the Illuminati card game and INWO CCG both there was a rules section that said "you can play a totally dishonorable game where everyone cheats all the time but be sure everyone knows the deal up front. Also only play this way with best friends or people you will never see again."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fossilized Rappy posted:

To explain, each rumor or legend is given three levels of potential: it can either be a half-truth that has been exaggerated over time, true to its word, or in a rank of "beyond true" where things are even crazier than the storytellers say. While this wouldn't necessarily work for, say, Forgotten Realms, it is a really neat idea to have in a setting like Northern Crown where a big part of the campaign concept is that there is a lot of unknown stuff out there we have yet to explore.

The old 3E GURPS Warehouse 23 supplement had a similar idea. They proposed five lenses for a campaign world: Mundane (Occam's Razor is the supreme truth), Occult (magic is real), Fortean (UFOs and cryptozoology are real), Conspirational (everyone is out to get everyone else), and Illuminated (all of the above are simultaneously true), and suggested ways to adapt the things in the book to each of them. The example was the Ark of the Covenant, which in a Conspirational setting was a gold totally-not-an-idol-except-it-kind-of-is built to Egyptian specifications by an opportunistic rebel leader to remind his brainwashed followers of the code of conduct he'd written for them. In Fortean, it was a radio/weapon built by the Ancient Astronauts and fueled by the belief of the Israelites, made even more powerful when installed in the Temple Mount transmission station. In Occult, it is literally God's throne on Earth and has all the powers ascribed to it in the Old Testament and Apocrypha. In Mundane, it's likely a fable and was a minor religious artifact that was destroyed long ago and probably never even covered in gold. Illuminated, it was a magic-charged gift to a rebel leader from the Space Brothers who wanted to ensure Moses retained control over the Israelites so they could have a ready-to-go army.

It's a fun way to get some additional mileage out of supplements.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

David J Prokopetz posted:

More to the point, since they prefer to recruit preteens (did the author forget about that age roll?), exactly what sexual habits do they expect to be evaluating?

Don't anyone attempt to answer this question please.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here. Here's a tumblr called "Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor" that you can agree vigorously with.

http://womenfighters.tumblr.com/

Here's a guy taking the boobplate argument down with words and pictures, you can vigorously agree with him too:

http://madartlab.com/2011/12/14/fantasy-armor-and-lady-bits/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Libertad! posted:

Marlite is a blue-tinted iron which can be processed so that it's as hard as steel. However, it is valuable because it is effectively "magic dead" and can never be affected by any kind of spell or supernatural ability. On that note, it cannot be magically enchanted, either. Marlite armor provides no protection against magic for the wearer, but the armor is still immune. It costs ten times as much as a normal piece of armor or weapon.

Depending on the exact wording of the mechanical effects of this material I could see a really antagonistic GM doing some "neutron bomb" effects with magic, in which the player characters are magically killed but their equipment remains intact.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

What they do is they do print run first, and only do PDF when they sell out of the print run.

I think this strategy is incomprehensible but what can you do?

Same idea as TV blackouts for sports games. If you want it, be there physically; they'll let you experience it electronically if there's demand in excess of physical supply.

Seems silly since the availability of a PDF would probably sell way more, but I guess it seemed like a good idea to whoever made the decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Glazius posted:

So is there any possibility that the cyberassassins sent to kill the cyberpope weren't just a plant by the cyberpapacy?

Trying to cyberkill the cyberpope is right up there with trying to drown Poseidon.

Are you talking about the St. Peter's Square thing? They were sent by the cyberpope to kill John Paul II (Pope Classic).

• Locked thread