Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

And once again Scandinavia is left out.
I'm just gonna believe that their Viking spirit makes them resistant and helping them fight back.

I'm sure Evil Mastermind will post the realm maps when he covers them, but you'll be glad to know that Scandinavia is now part of the realm of Aysle. Unfortunately, most of the transformed Scandinavians joined up with Thorfinn Bjanni's Ayslish Vikings, but there are still plenty of Viking Storm Knights willing to aid in Lady Ardinay's fight to return Aysle to the side of Light.

edit: beaten!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually, Shane doesn't appear in the Torg credits. I was going to mention the similarities but I forgot. What's more interesting is that Deadlands came out two years after Torg ended.

Also, I'm not going to cover spell creation until I get to the Asyle book. Trust me, the core magic rules are :psyboom: enough.

I don't think Shane actually worked on the main boxed set - if memory serves he contributed to the module "When Axioms Collide". I think he also wrote "The Temple of Rec Stalek", but I don't have my books handy.

Shane always credited TORG as one of his favorite games. He was repeatedly asked if he would make a Savage Worlds version if he could, and always responded that he wouldn't want to change it. He apparently did try to purchase it when WEG was shopping it around, but couldn't afford what they were asking for the property.

I should point out that the Revised Edition of TORG, written by "Kansas Jim" Ogle, is better laid out and has a few "optional" fixes to things like the glass-jawed ninja problem. Unfortunately he wasn't allowed to actually rewrite any major rules (to keep all the sourcebooks usable). The Revised Edition is therefore less of a 2nd edition and more of a 1.5 edition, compiling all the skills from the various sourcebooks into one resource and listing some optional rules. It's a pity he wasn't allowed to modify the system more, though, as he was a day one adopter of the game and widely known as the TORG guru on WEG's forums.

I've been seriously trying to come up with the best system to use to update and run TORG for my players. Games like FATE and Savage Worlds easily capture the cinematic tone of the game, but for all of their complicating influences it is the reality mechanics that really make TORG the game that it is. It's trickier to adapt those to a different system in a way that doesn't feel tacked on. Anyone who has successfully done so or who has an idea of a good system should feel free to PM me with suggestions.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly, I've always felt that Savage Worlds would be a drat near perfect fit, since it's a system that accomplished what Torg tried to do: be a universal system that covered everything. The problem with Torg's system is that they tried too hard to model everything, and as a result everything gets bogged down in tables, multi-stage rolls, and weird cases like someone's nunchucks not working or someone losing touch with their reality because they failed a FInd check..

Personally, I think Fate would be a good match (and I've done a little work on a Torg -> Fate hack), and once the Toolkit comes out I'll be working on that and a Feng Shui hack.

What's interesting is how much of both Savage Worlds and Fate you can see in Torg's mechanics. Especially the similarities between Possibilities, Bennies, and Fate Points.

I feel that trying to convert all the reality-hopping rules like reality bubbles and invoked storms and multi-step contradictions would be unnecessary. When it comes to converting, I take the approach that you want to convert the fluff and tone first, and not jam the round peg of the old mechanics into the square hole of the new system. You're better off modeling the ideas behind the old mechanics into the new system. But, again, that's just me.

To me the parts of the reality mechanics worth keeping are the World Laws (as they really set each cosm apart from those with similar axioms) and the axioms (I love contradictions and disconnections, but it is harder to hack those into other systems). I agree that Fate would probably work best (I love Savage Worlds, but TORG is really a setting where the specific is more important than the generic). I'll be interesting in seeing your Fate hack once it is ready for viewing.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

I still adore TORG - it is one of my favorite settings. And the Nile Empire is one of the best cosms in it. My biggest problem with it, though, is one of theme. The Nile Empire as written is supposed to be a Raiders of the Lost Ark + Doc Savage + the Shadow type setting. The powers are, as mentioned before, balanced oddly, but the main problem is that by year two of the war, sourcebooks treated the Nile Empire like the superhero cosm. The original intent was for most characters to be based off of one power if any, possibly two with a gizmo (i.e., the Shadow, the Phantom, Commander Cody, etc.), not to be invulnerable bricks flying around blasting heat rays. Why play a hard boiled detective or plucky reporter when you could shoot electro-rays from your hands?

If the later sourcebooks and adventures didn't have so many powered Nile heroes, I'd blame it on the foibles of my gaming groups, but they did. I never had a problem with the idea of a comic book supers themed cosm, but that's not what the Nile Empire is all about, and it always bothered me.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

Young Freud posted:

The latest version, the Revised edition, has conversions to OpenD6 system. The stats convert fairly easier, just divide by 3 and that's a die, and the remainders are done as pips. I believe the way they handle disconnect is through a reroll of the wild die whenever it hits a one.

Also, it pretty much resolves the "Glass Ninja" problem that plagued the original system, since you have to roll the hit resolution separately from the damage dice.

I've been tempted to convert TORG to the Fate system, and for a while someone was working on a Marvel Heroic conversion that seemed interesting. I might have to start devoting some time to that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

The only interesting hero with a thousand anything is El-ahrairah. Campbell can go bite it.

So who's going to be reviewing Bunnies & Burrows?

• Locked thread