Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Child Errors actually covers the following:
-Minors with no guardians to claim responsibility for them. So it happens with orphans, but only if they have nobody laying claim to them. Child Errors are useful because they are easily manipulated and nobody gives a poo poo what happens to them.
-Students who owe the city a debt over the school fees. Now, you could always withdraw from the program...except anyone undergoing esper power development has plenty of trade secret drugs in them, not to mention knowledge of the processes used to awaken espers. It's mentioned once in the LNs that if a high level esper dies outside the city, the city can and will recover or destroy their remains.
-But none of the above apply for higher level espers, they receive a research stipend that basically pays for their fees and living expenses as long as they cooperate with the city's research. Level 0s who flunk out, fail to pay their school fees or otherwise drop out of the system are hosed.

As for WWIII, LN spoilers:
The Catholic Church eventually works themselves into using magic to cause multiple countries to declare war on Academy City. The fighting was one sided, because Crowley stopped loving around and sent out hypersonic bombers to level entire armies within hours of the declaration. That's mostly the end of the "we're totally a research and development institution" image.

veekie fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
One of the best things you could drop from a bomber: Accelerator

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Just that they are an independent state in every aspect except on paper.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Wolf on Air posted:

:science: :stonk:

MANGAalso more wanking bullshit

I am glad to have been right about how Misaki/Touma interactions would go. Psychic sniping!

THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING...

I spent the last 5 minutes guessing at the secondary effects of a 500 meter wide lightning strike. Immediate flash fires, sunburn/skin cancer and (permanent) flash blindness within a totally ludicrous area, basically it compares to the thermal/pressure effects of a strategic nuclear device. Pressure shockwave from the superheated air plasma expansion, storm-wind convection pattern as it starts rising into the higher atmosphere pulling in air below it, possibly interesting secondary weather phenomena, et cetera. "I nearly wet yourself", indeed.

Man, I love To Aru, it's so delightfully absurd :allears:

After the Windowless Building took Accelerator borrowing 1/300th of the earth's rotational inertia to smack it around* in a temper tantrum, it sure should be able to take that little strike, though.

*1.48 × 1026 joules, that's 35370 trillion tons TNT, or perhaps if you're a sci-fi nerd you'd prefer thinking of it as the equivalent of 820 million kilograms of antimatter; give or take, it's half the energy it takes to blow off the earth's atmosphere into space in one go, and as as much as the sun releases over 380 milliseconds. He packs a mean punch.

Speaking of temper tantrums, shouldn't Chairman Dearest have something to say about the Kiharas trying a full-out coup? I expect there's a plan against to exploit that, too.

Funny thing is, due to the nature of the building's defense, no amount of raw force is going to do anything to it unless it physically annihilates the city down to bedrock in the process.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Wolf on Air posted:

(All the Level 5s show up. Clusterfuck ensues.)

All the known ones anyway. Boy what a thorough clusterfuck.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I think maybe they tried to stuff too many characters in for the big fight. Accelerator was there more or less just to punt the whole space elevator into orbit. The Sisters showed up to do nothing more than plasma cannon the robot horde. Kanzaki Kaori took a shuttle into space so she could fight missiles with a katana and then de-orbit, which was really weird since as strong as she is she could definitely have been useful at the top.

Might have been better served leaving them out for the core crew of the movie(Touma+Index, Misaka & Friends) to do more, unless they cut out a big chunk of the early part to fit in more action overall.

I cracked up at Saten suggesting that she attack the explosive bolts with a baseball bat though.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I was hoping for more from them when reinforcements were mentioned, but the Sisters showed up too late

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The difference largely comes from their relative positions socially though.

Misaka always(justifiably) thought of herself as superior in some ways. She's much more powerful than most people she knows and idolized to boot, so she takes on the role of a protector to her friends. When it comes down to a fight, anyone she'd have trouble with would find little difficulty sweeping her friends aside. She's quite willing to intervene in the troubles of others, but never even considered needing help herself.
When she found out about the dark side of the city, she quite understandably doesn't want to drag her friends into danger, and ruining their happy school life.

Kongou meanwhile had her delusions of superiority popped early on. She's faced reality.

veekie fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 9, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Paracelsus posted:

More somewhat deflated than popped. This is still Kongou Mitsuko we're talking about, the girl wears a live python wrapped around her neck like it's no big thing.

Well...maybe she deserves that much for having the gonads to wear a live python like a feather boa.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ArchangeI posted:

Yeah. But making Last Order upset makes Accelerator upset. And making him upset is never a good idea. Hence my comment that it would backfire even more spectacularly.

My pet theory for Misaka's reluctance to use the Kuroko express is that it requires physical contact, and she doesn't want to encourage Kuroko.

The Liberal Arts City light novel has an excellent Kuroko/Misaka Action scene. She enormously improves their combat ability.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Tarezax posted:

Tsuchimikado's sister got me thinking: I want to see representatives of Academy City's vocational schools in action.

Surely some enterprising students have perfected the art of combat plumbing.

There is at least one combat maid in the LNs.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
So to fight 20,000 remote controlled robots, you use 10,000 Railgun clones and also Uiharu hijacks the entire city's security robot force.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Pity. I'd have liked to see Study's faces when 10,000 militarized espers wipe out their 20,000 mecha

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
In Academy City, law enforcement is subordinate to mad science, so no surprise at all there that they aren't allowed to act. You could get some interesting data from seeing how it turns out.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It's not like STUDY knows why Academy City mainly cares about espers. Ultimately, even if their experiment shows result, it wouldn't change things, because what Crowley needs is esper power to change reality itself. He needs smart people only because they can build towards that.

And besides, the Kiharas are way better at mad science.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Stall_19 posted:

You know poo poo is going down when Saten brings out the bat.

I still wonder what the hell she thought she could do to the space elevator supports with a bat. At least here she might help guard Uiharu's back while Uiharu commands her robot legions.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Wolf on Air posted:

Manga issue 63 is out but not yet translated.

Mild spoilers unless you read runes

:f5:

There will be some AMAZING punching.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Incidentally, the last episode would make a large number of great gifs.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I love how they just stared at each other after punching.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
They were only making two anyway, so using months wasn't so bad. Coming up with codenames for twenty thousand and one would be a bit harder though.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
That was amazing alright.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It's a brilliant plan as long as you can throw him accurately then outrun the missile to catch him on the other end like a baby.

This is the beginning of a wonderful partnership.

veekie fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Nate RFB posted:

Chapter 68

Hahahahaha, holy poo poo. Tarezax nails it in one. Shokuhou pulled a loving Lelouch Lamperouge.

E: That was also a brutal finisher by Kuroko, sheesh.

You know the best part of that is I think the real reason Kuroko blocked the knife with her hand instead of teleporting was that she couldn't see poo poo because she just moved into a dark sewer from a well lit building. It wasn't superior tactics so much as "gently caress letting lack of lighting stop me".

• Locked thread