Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Few episodes into the first season and "blatant" is he best way to describe he fan service. Hell, half the plot seems to be Kuroku the psycho lesbian scheming to have sex with Misaka.

Despite this it is still an entertaining show overall but I hope some kind of plot shows up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Falken posted:

As far as fanservice goes, I appreciate that Misaka wears shorts under her skirt.

I think Misaka's practical attitude compared against Koruko's obsession with feminism is one of the only reasons I can deal with the fanservice. Misaka is just as creeped out by it as we are most of the time.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Falken posted:

e: I mean, when Kuroko started doing... that... to Misaka's teddybear. What the hell, Kuroko.

I'm going to let my imagination run wild with that under the assumption that what Kuroku actually does to it is worse.
Ill probably be just as disturbed anyway.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Season 1, Episode 17. Weed is the best school name ever.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure exactly what I imagined when Misaka meets her clone for the first time (I guess something intense and suspenseful).

Just not that. Holy mother of loving god that was amazing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I came in knowing just about nothing of the show or Index.

The first season was entertaining and I really liked the idea they had for the plot, but my one major criticism is that there wasn't much substance to the show overall. The plot, as good as it was, felt like season-end tack-ons for the sake of having a plot. They never did much with it during the meat of the season.

However, season 2 got busy pretty drat fast. And I love it so far. But my one criticism for this season so far is that its starting to lose the charm of the first season. Namely, it's starting to feel saturated with drama and plot. I wish they had balanced out those parts with some of the levity of the first season. It's gotten to the point that they almost feel like 2 separate shows. Still, the plot and presentation so far are fantastic so there's not too much to complain about.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

This interests me, how come none of the Level 5's know each other by sight or form their own special club or does the city prevent them from meeting up generally?

That reminds me, they never really mention the other level 5s. Ever.

They showed the mind control girl for about 5 minutes in one of the early episodes of this season, and then we are introduced to this batshit insane Accelerator dude. I really wish some kind of relationship was established between the members of this elite group of only 7. 1.5 seasons in and we've only ever seen 3 of them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Anime_Otaku posted:

That's not the part I thought of, there's a bit where it's mentioned dinner parties would be livened up by teleporting the hostess' underwear 3 feet to the right.

While I don't remember that specific quote, that sure sounds like Hitchiker's Guide.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Look I'm only up to episode 8 of TTGL I don't respect Simon all that much.

Finishing this show is now your top priority. Work is unimportant by comparison.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

For comparison this is how Touma approaches the same situation: ( Index spoiler)

He finds out about the whole project by literally bumping into the documents while hiding under a bed.
Then he plans to just beat up Accelerator. Which will stop the project because Touma is the weakest man in the city.
He knows he will succeed because he is the main character, and basically shouts that at Misaka.

Its a good thing I don't plan to watch Index because that just sounds shameful.

Having come into Railgun and now Railgun S completely blind, I have to say that Railgun S is fantastic. It may have lost much of the charm of the first season and become a much more serious show, but it makes up for with with a great plot, intriguing characters, and an atmosphere that sells it. It's probably one of the strongest shows this season behind the top dogs like Gargantia and AoT.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm going to forever believe that is cannon because it is fantastic.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

That look of hurt and disappointment on the Sister when Misaka chased her away was utterly crushing. :smith:

Which episode was this?

e: If it's from the recent episode then nvm. I hate that Funimation only airs shows several days after they air on TV.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 22, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Here's my two cents on Railgun season 1, someone who knows absolutely nothing about Index except that Touma is the main character.

It was not supposed to be good, but it was still decent. It seemed like it was supposed to be an in depth introduction to the setting that made a few points clear: 1) Academy City is run by profit praising dickwads that want to exploit the gifted children of this city for profitable scientific research to create practical weapons out of them. 2)Academy City was designed around that purpose, and for no other reason.

It is also a prolonged introduction to the main characters and their lives. It gives us something to care about (not in a creepy fanservice way I mean), to an extent. And that was it. The plot arc was ok in its own right, but it felt tacked on rather than being a central component. You could watch Railgun S without the first season, but it would be a bit like watching Fumoffu? without having seen any of FMP. You don't need to watch FMP for Fumoffu? to be enjoyable, but watching some of FMP gives you a good background and introduction to the characters and their relationships. That said, Railgun season 1 is far better than FMP and is mildly entertaining in its own right.

But is it good? Not exceptionally. More like a 7/10 on my scale, whereas Railgun S gets an 8.5/10 for now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yea, that's a good way to think about it. It isn't a very serious show, so objectivity doesn't mean much, and the fanservice is definitely going to polarize opinions on this show, so take it as you will.

Still, I don't think it's anywhere as shamefully terrible as that blog made it out to be, even from an objective standpoint. There's plenty worse out there.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pensive posted:

A Certain Sarcastic Hive-mind?

That is the best name and must become a show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Relambrien posted:

I agree, I am extremely glad that I was wrong about how the stupid fanservice was likely to continue (watch me eat my words this week or something).

We're all so very sorry.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I hope their fanservice includes various Sisters being silly/awesome. That would make it entirely worth it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Here's what I took from what you've said: Railgun is fanservice whose entire existence was designed to pander to Index fans. In that case, all I can do, as someone who hasn't watched Index and doesn't plan to, write the entire show off as pandering fanservice and completely ignore it. There is absolutely no way around it for me.

The entire argument so far has hinged on the difference in the perspectives of Index fans vs the perspective of people who haven't seen/read Index, but the ball is in the author's court. If she/he panders to fans, most of the latter will give up on Railgun. If she/he writes Railgun as an alternate continuity where Mikoto continues to be the lead character, then most of the former will get pouty and complain. Or at least that's the sense I'm getting from reading this thread.

I personally don't see anything wrong with Railgun being an alternate continuity. Hell, that idea worked brilliantly with the various versions of GitS as it allowed them to explore different ideas within the same world without have to endlessly retcon.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
In that case, why retcon? This arc makes even less sense now. If she really hates Touma that much, why not rewrite him in this critical arc?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

It would've been awesome if we had a stand alone show with a girl protagonist with esper powers who was bad rear end who relied on her own select group of interesting and quirky friends without needing to have the spotlight occasionally overshadowed by a dofus.

This is exactly what I'd hoped for story wise, but it seem that's not where we're going and it's really disappointing.

As far as the directing of this show I'd have to say that it is exceptionally good. Mikoto being slowly and steadily broken down by the ever growing wall of hell she has to deal with was brilliantly portrayed. Even her whole talk with Touma was amazing in that respect.

And then Touma steals the show. Goddamit does it annoy me. I would have been fine with him just supporting her. It's true that he's the only one that can completely shut down Accelerator, but that doesn't mean he should be able to just walk up to him and win. What (I think) should have happened is that Touma helps Mikoto restore her confidence, and then they come up with a cool plan to work together to take Accelerator down and thus ruin the tests. Instead we get a white knight idealist that will probably be anime-magicked into a win (I don't know what actually happens).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This episode was not nearly as terrible as the discussion before led me to believe it would be. Touma was definitely set up, to an extent, as a white knight character and he only survived long enough to punch Accelerator in the face by the will of anime magic. Everything after that was actually rather believable and well done. I hope he doesn't suddenly steal the glory Misaka deserves for her use of the Misaka network.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

The big problem with the episode is how it took agency away from Misaka and made it about Touma and ~his~ dream.

He's still a terrible character being shoehorned into a situation that he should have nothing to do with (from the perspective of a Railgun only watcher). From what people were saying before I was expecting him to pretty much take down Accelerator singlehandedly through anime magic, but no he only provoked him into creating a shitstorm. All he accomplishes in the end is buying enough time for Misaka to show up and take him down.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I came into the last two episodes expecting a total hijack of the show where Misaka essentially became inconsequential. On the contrary, the last two episodes were both fantastic, and sold itself to both sides. It managed to let Touma be actual victor as per the LNs without taking away Misaka's accomplishments. She will probably always be Super Tsundere because gently caress the LNs, but at least that aspect of her only shows up with Touma.

Its still odd that they never mentioned the researcher after her capture though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Poor Shinobu. :ohdear:

Whisked away by fairies into the the cold night, erased from existence.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

She's moonlighting under the name Wakamiya Shinobu over in Chihayafuru.
http://i.imgur.com/pFyxR.gif

If this becomes canon I will love it wholeheartedly.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Its still odd that even Misaka has completely forgotten about her. Shinobu was the one that introduced her to the Level 6 experiments in the first place, so without that catalyst Misaka would never have even known what was going on, let alone been able to stop it. It's nothing short of a large, gaping plot whole.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

Misaka doesn't even know Shinobu tried to do anything, and she goes to a different school, etc. She probably assumes she's still living a safe, civilian life. Why would she bother to investigate her for no reason? It's not like they're friends.

Oh, that's true. I forgot that Misaka didn't even know Shinobu acted on her own as well. But still, I figured she might at least wonder what became of Shinobu since, as you said, she doesn't know what happened to her after she last saw her.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Kuroko and Misaka are respectively Level 4 and Level 5 Espers, and have faced literal life-and-death situations in combat against overwhelming odds. Why are they so god-drat terrified of the dormitory supervisor? Is it just played up for comedy, or is the dormitory supervisor actually a secret Level 6 or something?

In all seriousness, it isn't like she's their enemy. She deserves the respect that her position is due and the girls give it to her because they have no reason to fight her. Also if they did they would probably get booted from school.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Let's put it this way. Mental Out could be worse.

She could be, but she still a lovely enough human being for me to want to punch her in the face. Not only did she take over that library just for fun, she seems to revel in her power. If given the chance, I can see her easily becoming a criminal.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
To people who have read ahead: There was some article posted pages back about Railgun S post-Sisters being predominantly fanservice, which I couldn't care much less for. Is there something worth sticking around for now that the Sisters arc is completed?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wolf on Air posted:

Too bad, I was really looking forward to Esper Olympics with special directive to cheat as much as you can.

Do they really do this? Tell me they really do this... I really want to see that animated if they do.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe at Level 5 she'd have the ability to gently caress with the thermodynamics of the world around her, rather than just things she can touch, and on a far larger scale too. Maybe she can instantly evaporate or freeze an entire lake or something equally ridiculous.

Maybe she becomes a firebender.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Uiharu is the scariest character of all.

Man, Uriharu has no patience for meta jokes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Welp, this is gonna be a crazy ark if Shinobu's back. I hope they have an explanation ready.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

I liked this episode. Continued Misaka development from the Sister's arc. Though it shouldn't have taken Kongou's inadvertent advice to convince her to finally seek help.

I find it amusing that a lot of times I can't remember important recurring characters on some shows but I recognized the cat right away. I'd totally watch a filler episode staring Dog the cat and Sphinx.

I actually liked that the advice came from Kongou. We all know that she has issues making friends (she freaked out when a 5 year old child said she'd be her friend), but is fiercely loyal to the one she has, so it makes sense that she best understands the value and meaning of friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm still surprised at how good this season it. I only watched the first season this year which was really silly and fraught with fanservice, but it had enough cool ideas to keep me interested. This season is far more than just entertaining, it's one of the better shows I've seen this year. Personally, I like this ark a bit better than the Sisters arc just because everyone's involved this time around.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 28, 2013

• Locked thread