Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Don't you guys have like a whole city of helper robots? Clean up your own mess :mad:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having a different credit sequence was a nice way to send off the episode.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tonberrytoby posted:

Here are some chapter number from the Railgun manga:

Chapters 1 - 16 : Level Upper Arc : As seen in the first Railgun Anime.
Chapters 18 - 30 : 1st Sisters Arc : Misaka vs. Everyone and Meltdown -> Currently running / spoiled by the intro.
Chapters 31 - 39 : 2nd Sister Arc : Touma vs Accelerator, as seen in index.
Chapters 43 - current : School Festival / Misaki / 3rd Sisters Arc As foreshadowed in the first episode of the current season.

I actually hope that the skip over Touma's stuff after the fight with meltdown. And then go straight to the school festival arc.
I'm not sure how they'll be able to do the fourth one, seeing as it's still ongoing. Always possible they'll throw in another anime-only arc like the first season.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Index has something stupid like 30 light novels at this point, it's just bloated beyond belief. There are a small handful of characters that are sort of interesting, but it's sort of irrelevant because the actual main character isn't one of them and he is always prominent. Even when it is dealing with said interesting characters the material is always horrendously paced and :words: as hell and it just makes me vaguely irritated whenever I try to watch or read it. Railgun really only "fixes" this in that by its very nature it has to focus on one set of characters all the time and I think the manga format doesn't lend itself to the terrible technobabble pacing of the light novels (mostly).

They should get this mangaka to make similar spin-offs for the other two male main characters, thus removing the need to ever deal with Index ever again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have a pretty high tolerance for slice of life junk, so most of the Railgun anime didn't bother me in that regard. If anything my least favorite part of the whole thing was the final arc which I thought was really dumb.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You should probably edit that spoiler a bit, champ. God, why are all of you so bad at this?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm a little wary of the preview, it looks like we're getting an anime-only breather episode at a rather inopportune time. Then again, this also has the possibility of having additional perspectives on the same series of events which could be worthwhile just the same.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What? The Sisters arc isn't going to be done for a while, it's the raison d'êtr of the season. It's just that in the preview there are numerous scenes that weren't in the manga which means they're probably going to pad it out a bit and try to invent ways for Kuroko/Saten/Uiharu to get screentime.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

arhra posted:

The key question of course, being whether Shiki can kill Accelerator.
This is some ultimate spear vs. ultimate shield poo poo.

Anyway, I think it's less that Accelerator is a "good" character and more that Touma is so aggressively boring that he's better by simple juxtaposition.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

McDragon posted:

I wonder how much damage a railgun would do to a Titan? I bet a well-aimed hit to the weak spot would be pretty damaging.
Behold the end of mankind.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Most people here seem to be more familiar with Railgun: The Anime, when it honestly is a manga first. I'd say the manga is better by virtue of being a little more streamlined and focused, with less slice of life. The current arc is shaping up to be pretty good. Read it if you like a pretty solid shounen action series with X-men powers with the occasional silly schoolgirl moment.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 4, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
ITEM sure does make the villains from Railgun S1 seem quite quaint.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

That reminds me, they never really mention the other level 5s. Ever.

They showed the mind control girl for about 5 minutes in one of the early episodes of this season, and then we are introduced to this batshit insane Accelerator dude. I really wish some kind of relationship was established between the members of this elite group of only 7. 1.5 seasons in and we've only ever seen 3 of them.
Well, this is sort of the problem with the behemoth that is this franchise. There's plenty of story you could build around just the Level 5's. They're pretty big deals. But outside of a few select ones, they rarely show up in the Index novels, let alone Railgun. So you're going to have to deal with sifting through a lot of poo poo to find where they show up.

We will probably see quite a bit of Mental Out before the end of Railgun (the manga, not this season) by virtue of her being in the same school as Mikoto, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any of the others.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Falken posted:

Manga Spoiler. I reckon that she'll show up later in the Railgun manga. There is still lots of potential storyline for the Sisters.
If you recall the first season, the story from the Level Upper arc was actually resolved in the anime-only second half. Going into this season I figured they'd do something similar, since they can't do much more of the manga after this arc as it's still on-going.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I kind of envisioned Kuroko's Level 5 power being similar (although not as powerful) as a First Guardian from Homestuck. Basically full mastery over "space" in general.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dan7el posted:

What's the deal with all the Kamijou Touma hate?
There is literally nothing to his character. He has no personality and is as one note as they come. Indirectly speaking he is also the main tie to the Magic Side, which is by far the worse half.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Phobophilia posted:

Look teleportation is and has always been brokenly powerful when applied by anyone with a lick of creativity, which means it has to always be toned down by authorial amnesia.

And after reading the manga, I will never forgive Touma for constricting Railgun's story. I know that Touma must go and fistsolve Accelerator, and that's all well and good, but after the incredible drawn-out fight with Frenda and Mugino, it's completely boring. Plus it completely sidelines Misaka. This is her personal nightmare after exposure to the true, amoral nature of Academy City. Does she respond in kind against the City that betrayed her? Does she recruit some of its many many enemies? Does she expose or threaten to expose the City's dirty laundry so that it might lose its standing? Does she even ask her friends, considering the last couple episodes of Railgun are about not going it alone? No! It's time for this zero charisma rear end in a top hat to turn up and save the day.

Edit: wait no, I'm actually incredibly stupid and judgemental. It's just Touma vs Accelerator that is terrible (I assumed that would have been the end of Sisters Arc). I've caught up with Chapter 60, and holy crap that revelation! I certainly didn't expect that character to have that particular motivation!
The current manga arc is pretty compelling. I really like what they've done with Mental Out and I hope she continues to be a major character in this side of the story. That said, the last few pages of chapter 60 are worrisome. I think it'll be temporary, though, as there's a bunch of stuff happening at this time in Index that would require that person's attention.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tonberrytoby posted:

For comparison this is how Touma approaches the same situation: ( Index spoiler)

He finds out about the whole project by literally bumping into the documents while hiding under a bed.
Then he plans to just beat up Accelerator. Which will stop the project because Touma is the weakest man in the city.
He knows he will succeed because he is the main character, and basically shouts that at Misaka.

This is also basically the same approach that happens with every single incident that involves him. For 30+ god drat books.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess the genie is out of the bottle regarding whether the lot of them will survive this arc (big surprise there), but at the very least the next big arc in the manga has featured one of them relatively prominently. They have a variety of appearances in Index, of course.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm sort of reminded of an interview that Kinoko Nasu (TYPE-MOON writer, creator of Tsukihime, Fate/stay night, etc.) gave that was posted in the VN thread:

quote:

- (interviewer says something about K-On having female superiority)

Nasu: No, instead of female superiority, that's just absence of men. It looks like girls are being prioritized, but if men don't appear to begin with, it's like nothing more than building a farm where there can be no antagonism. In that sense, women become more like mascots... it might mean looking down on them. Not by the creators, but by the audience. Speaking of my own works, people often tell me "Nasu-san, you really appreciate women's rights, because you write stories with strong girls in them", and I agreed too, but lately I started thinking that might not be the case. In Tsukihime and in Fate, the heroines Arcueid and Saber are the ones fighting on the front lines and the protagonists are behind them. In Kara no Kyoukai, the fighting is always left to the heroine Ryougi Shiki, and the protagonist Kokutou Mikiya becomes just the man who feeds the heroine. That composition is actually very male chauvinistic. When you think about physical strength and emotional strength, the latter is more difficult to achieve. Anyone can be strong if they pick up a weapon, but you can't become mentally strong just by obtaining a thing. In the works of Nasu Kinoko, strength in battle is possessed by the heroines, and the male characters symbolize emotional strength. When I noticed this, I felt like even I'm stuck in my ways [?] in some respects. For example Arcueid is said to be the strongest in the world of Type-Moon, but at the same time because she's in love with Shiki she tends to give in to what he says. At those times the man is the one put in a superior position. If it were truly even, Arcueid could use her superfluous power to send Shiki flying. Like "you two-timing bastard!" lol

(interviewer says some stuff about arcueid who cares)

Nasu: I'd want a truly powerful heroine to have the emotional specs to match. Rin and Saber and Arcueid aren't just dumb heroines. But, I can't say that the way the protagonists who only have emotional strength teach something to these perfect heroines doesn't look like a metaphor for how men win out in real society. If we're aiming for an even world, we shouldn't erase men like in K-On! or push the weakness of falling in love solely on the heroines, we should consider an equal relation.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

But that was the first season. This season I don't think they've shown so much as a single panty shot. Only one girl was seen in a bikini, briefly. Compared to the first season they've really cut down on the fanservice and focused more on the drama and action and humour, and this season is a lot stronger for it.

And the fanservice in the first season was never, ever as dumb and intrusive as it got in either Index season.
Things bode well for the future as well, as the next arc is also pretty strong. It'll probably be saved for Railgun S3 though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

What exactly is the difference between magic and what Misaka does?
Functionally, not much. It's not really the technicalities of magic vs. science that make them different anyway, but rather the inherit structures of the two sides. Academy City has a fairly clear hierarchy, and it's pretty easy to wrap your head around why things are the way they are once you suspend disbelief for there being espers in the first place. The presence of factions such as the seven Level 5's makes potentially interesting dynamics and reveals.

Conversely, I really have no idea what the deal is with the magic side's various factions and whenever the novels do try to elaborate or develop them they come off as a throw poo poo against the wall and see what sticks. There's nothing to really "look forward" to in the same way you would be interested in meeting the next Level 5. Basically the structure of that side is really dumb and doesn't fit in very well with the Railgun world. I would also say the magic side is a lot more shameless, like the one Russian orthodox nun who wears exclusively bondage belts or something.

Also any magic side bullshit is going to involve Touma.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AnacondaHL posted:

(13) Why were the Sisters okay with showing Touma all of the clones and explaining in blunt detail what happened? They gave the passcode check, he failed... and then they treated him like he should know about the experiment anyways...? Was it because of his cancelling ability?
It's another one of those dumb scenes from Index rather than Railgun. They didn't really bother to have Touma find out about the experiments organically like Mikoto, so they had to work exposition in there somehow. Like they always do in Index.

So the answer is it's bad writing I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In a perfect universe Index would never have existed and the world could have been constructed around Railgun from the beginning, and thus this argument wouldn't be happening. But Index does exist, and anything we try to insert into it to "correct" it away from that is pretty much fanfiction. I'm sure there could be a way for this to end without Touma, this is pretty much Handwave The Series, but for better or worse (mostly worse) we have what we have.

Sure, Touma is "important" from the perspective of Index. No denying that. He's the main character and blah blah blah. But so what? Does that mean that the writing of this conclusion isn't bad? That it's not the same old asspulls that were prevalent throughout Index? Of course not.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This episode along with the fifth one were the main things I was looking forward to in this series. Well, those and ITEM I suppose. There is a good chance the rest will be unremarkable or even kind of bad, but the Mikasa/Sisters interactions were a lot of fun. Maybe we'll get lucky and they do a repeat of what they did with season 1 and use some of the upcoming anime-only material to wrap up the Shinobu plot thread.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

JosephWongKS posted:

Which part of Season 1 was anime-only? I can tell that the "swimsuit episode", "dormitory supervisor gets rejected by her crush episode", and "day in the life of the incompetent Anti-Skill officer episode" were obviously filler episodes, but was there anything else that was anime-original?
The whole arc with this lady. It also served to wrap up Harumi Kiyama's story, which was also sort of left hanging in the manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Exotria posted:

So, here's the new OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlckTwAVOEg.

They really like drawing those Misaka upskirt shots a lot don't they.
Aren't those the exact same enemies from the filler arc in the first season?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some scanlations for Chapter 61 finally showed up.

I wonder what the longest period of time that Academy City has gone without someone starting up some evil plan is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mental Out isn't particularly nice but we haven't seen anything yet to indicate she's as messed up as the others.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Chillyrabbit posted:

I would think if she can controls peoples mind and destroy their free will thats kinda messed up. Especially since she can make everyone love her like narcissistic like.
Right, she could do that. But thus far that sort of behavior hasn't been observed.

I think it's implied her posse isn't being controlled either; she argues with them in a few scenes IIRC. She definitely doesn't seem to have any qualms with temporarily Assuming Control with anyone though which again isn't particularly nice of her. But also not psychotic like Accelerator or Meltdowner.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess this is getting into Manga/LN Talk, but which chapters/scenes are you referring to? I'm current with the manga and read most/all of her stuff in New Testament I didn't get that impression at all. I could just be forgetting or glossing over something of course.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

fivegears4reverse posted:

The recently released 8th Volume (in the US at least) of the Manga makes it pretty hard to think kindly of Mental Out, I can say that much.

I get that things change later on, but goddamn, there's "pushing someone's buttons" and then there's "taking a sledgehammer to all the buttons".
I don't know which specific chapters comprise the 8th volume, but if you're referring to (Manga, duh)her erasing Kuroko and company's memories of Misaka there were explicit reasons for doing so. At the very least this was born out of logic rather than megalomania.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OK, I guess we are on the same page then. In which case...I guess I just don't agree? To me, Mental Out is a fairly reasonable entity who certainly clashes with other characters (some of which we care about) but does out of logic without going out of her way to genuinely disturb the peace. It seems more like the fact that her power exists at all and that she uses it in any capacity is what makes her "bad". I don't get the impression that she is forcing/manipulating people into her entourage, and I find it hard to get upset at her controlling people when she just resets it all afterwards. It would obviously be a completely different story if she did anything out of malice to innocent people for kicks, which she very well may have done unbeknownst to us and change this whole line of thinking.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, no argument there. It's just that the original question was which ones were "terrifyingly crazy and/or power hungry", which I don't think fits her. The library episode was more to just get under Misaka's skin because they don't get along.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

To people who have read ahead: There was some article posted pages back about Railgun S post-Sisters being predominantly fanservice, which I couldn't care much less for. Is there something worth sticking around for now that the Sisters arc is completed?
The manga material that some of us have read is just fine, if not just as good as the Sisters arc. But since it's not finished yet it's not getting animated. So whatever original content we're getting now is anyone's guess as to its quality.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Uiharu is the scariest character of all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A bonus chapter between Railgun chapters 56 and 57.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, Chapter 62. Wasn't expecting that so soon.

Slightly irritated at Touma being the the hero again, but Shokuhou messing with with him and Kuroko saving the day makes up for it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No big surprise there, considering this is an anime-only arc. That said, I think I like it better than the one in the first season if only because it involves tying up a loose end (Shinobu) from the manga that I did kinda sorta care about.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 66

This has been getting pretty stretched out. Ultimately they are pretty short chapters for a monthly series though I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess I've sort of forgotten why/where people were doing what they were doing. The idea is that Kuroko will take out that metal user, who is somehow influencing/powering Misaka via interference, and once she is taken out Touma will be able to cancel Misaka out of it for real? In the end, Shokuhou was just buying time? Though she obviously would have preferred to have outright won.

• Locked thread