Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fiend Computer posted:

I'm really loving how they are taking the sound and animation for the titans. They move just so unnaturally, it is really chilling to see them in full motion compared to the stills in the manga.

Yeah the way the sound is kind of like... not understated, but utilized more conscientiously? Than just having a BGM running all the time in the cliche ways it could be. The scene where the old drunk dude charges that giant, and then stops, and then the audio just goes dead, he stares at a second, then turns around and runs the hell away was magic.

Real good first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

PotU posted:

That was pretty good, but does that kid stay awfully annoying like that forever? And does it become less uh, shounenish? That's probably the wrong term and I don't ever watch action shows so I don't know much about this stuff, but it seemed really cliched, kind of.

I haven't read the manga, but the first episode reminded me a lot more of your average war story than any kind of shonen battle thingie. You've got the thick background tension, the misplaced sense of idolatry, the disagreement with the mother, the fact that he's a total gently caress up (who I'd bet ends up getting at least one of his future comrades killed), and the crazy horrible poo poo that will probably only serve to strengthen his resolve to do something really dangerous with his life when he should "know better"

I guess I'm trying to it seems more like Gundam 0080 than Naruto, to me

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So here's a question for the manga people, that I would like answered with a mind to not spoiling anything. Of course, if the answer to the question is super spoily, just say so and I won't push the issue but: if you get swallowed whole, how do you die? Crushed to death in the esophagus? Are titans airtight on the inside? Stomach acid?

Because I've played a lot of videogames, and lemme tell ya, sometimes being swallowed whole is just the trick for how to kill some kinda giant fuckoff hugeguy :c00lbutt:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Kinda sad how Eren has gotten worse at fighting since he was aged in the single digits

Those splintering wood bits when Mikasa went on the offensive were a little too anime for my liking. Then again, her level of competence in general is kinda pushing it... I mean, it's not like I'm against hyper competent characters, but she's been Batgirl since her first appearance ostensibly, and assuming her story from this episode is the whole justification for it, it doesn't strike me as a strong foundation for why she's so good. She also doesn't seem particularly worse off in exchange for getting to be #1 rear end kicker either, apart from an emotional dependence on Eren and mildly poor social skills.

It's not a deal breaker, or even a major problem, but it is kinda "lol anime" especially considering she's apparently the last Japanese :japan:

I don't get the complaints about the show's production quality, but then again, I've watched a lot of 90s TV anime, so maybe my standards are just super low.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man, military trials can be pretty entertaining. I wonder if I should start watching JAG. Then again I doubt Catherine Bach gets up and loving kicks a dude in the teeth during any of those trials.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Srice posted:

You can frame a dialogue-heavy episode in a way that's not dull! There are a ton of shows that can consistently pull off some great shots for scenes that are just dialogue (see: plenty of Shaft shows, and they are usually low-budget to boot!). Attack on Titan just isn't one of them.

Shaft shows are a bad example, because 90% of them are comedies and stylized in a way that would stick out like a bloody, twisted, broken thumb in a less zany show. I would immediately make a "Who farted?" face if anyone in SnK did that stupid neck thing, for instance.

I think it's weird that I barely even notice how low fi the animation supposedly gets. I probably have some sort of mental process where I automatically tune out visually if there's a lot of yakking and dial back in whenever it sounds like an action scene is starting. The human brain is scary.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's kind of hard to take the story's gung ho attitude about the war as being anything too simply dogmatic when you consider that they're fighting zombie ultramen, and have been losing that fight for a hundred years with nothing to show for it. And in spite of the fact that humanity is on the verge of the extinction against these guys, a scenario that just begs for a clean cut worship of warrior ethos, there seems to be shady rear end moral gray areas oozing out of every corner of the story.

Japan loves to have it's military fiction cake, eat it, and then talk about how fighting is terrible and how we should all be pacifists no matter HOW badass what we just saw was. Just look at Gundam and Metal Gear.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
One thing I didn't like regarding the direction of the episode is (episode spoilers) how they didn't make real clear what happened when the Female-Type kicked Eren's head off, but I suppose that'll be made more obvious when nooope I kinda imagine people who haven't read the manga will be like "Wait, what just happened!?" though.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 1, 2013

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's really more a comment on how the action was depicted in the episode, though. I think the only reason I complained because that was a total loving sick displaying of delightful anime fighting goodness up until that point and then just (BRPT). It kinda sobered me up a little, to be honest. About as jarring as one of those shaft "MISSING CUT GOES HERE" edits.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This was a really good episode. Probably my favorite. Just so much crazy poo poo happening. I don't remember if that 3DMG trapeze move was in the manga, but it made me lose my poo poo a bit this time.

So next week is the last episode? Huh. I figure they could get another 13 out of what's left of the manga, but I guess it's better to not push their luck and risk it devolving into garbage. Also, one day I want someone to make a Youtube video of spliced scenes of Eva-01 and the Rogue Titan roaring at each other. Maybe throw Hulk in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Renoistic posted:

I was kind of disappointed that Annie didn't just go "gently caress it" and go straight for the king's residence. Does anyone know what the building that got smashed was? It looked pretty important.

There's no guarantee, whatever Annie's agenda is, that opposing the people who run the country is a particularly high priority. She was trying to kidnap Eren for whatever reason: if she just wanted to remove him as a potential weapon/source of knowledge, she could have killed him.

• Locked thread