Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ehhh, go check out Crowhaven.

Also something worth expanding on about that free 5 Hand to Hand boost - at launch, there was a bug that any time your skill was boosted by an event other than use, a book, or training - so that, a similar thing later, and any skill boost rewards for quests - would freeze your advancement and make it impossible to raise the skill by use.

Oblivion's Not That Bad Points--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Crowhaven. Also, your camera work during those fights is just :psydwarf:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Aww you took off a point for watching the guys spar? I thought that was a really cool, yet non-essential bit of emergent gameplay. :smith:

In any case, travel as the crow flies to Crowhaven before you have a billion more quests cluttering up your journal.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

gatz posted:

Crowhaven. Also, your camera work during those fights is just :psydwarf:

What is that emoticon and why do I feel out of touch with goons now?

dijon du jour posted:

Aww you took off a point for watching the guys spar? I thought that was a really cool, yet non-essential bit of emergent gameplay. :smith:

Again, the skill-up is great, but you'd never think to watch the repetitive punching animations for a full minute do that unless an outside source told you.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

dijon du jour posted:

I think its because there's no real indication given in the game that people should go out and, well, look. Books and stuff at least fall under the standard 'loot everything' principle, but this could have used at least a little nudge for the player. That way, they'd realise that watching things and finding alternate methods to learning skills were in fact, valid, and encourage them to go looking.

Edit: Freaking Ninja'd

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Why does the arena announcer sound like he is using a mic or megaphone? He has some odd sound amplification effect going on which doesn't make sense for the setting.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
The fact that I have spent about 200 hours in this game and never knew that you could gain skillpoints by watching people fight does prove that the criticism is appropriate.

Concerning progress, go to Crowhaven next. I kind of forgot what happens there.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Another Person posted:

Why does the arena announcer sound like he is using a mic or megaphone? He has some odd sound amplification effect going on which doesn't make sense for the setting.

Random Theory: He's had mild training in the Thu'um, and now his voice is powerful enough to naturally sound like that.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
Vilverin, because I haven't seen it before.

Astro Nut posted:

Random Theory: He's had mild training in the Thu'um, and now his voice is powerful enough to naturally sound like that.

I'd say magic. Surely there are some useful spells for that in the school of alteration.

SirDifferential fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 26, 2013

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Again, the skill-up is great, but you'd never think to watch the repetitive punching animations for a full minute do that unless an outside source told you.

...I did

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lizard Wizard posted:

What is that emoticon and why do I feel out of touch with goons now?

I blame Dwarf fortress.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Odd, I got that mysterious message randomly every time I did the Arena. I never really used Illusion magic in it either (mostly because it's not great early on and I don't often play with a Khajit).

Anyway, I say go to Vilverin. Crowhaven will always be there, and we don't want Vilverin to be too easy for you do we?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
That spar thing is a neat little touch of world building, but ultimately the score system is arbitrary and is mainly to point out the big things that oblivion did wrong which it has a few. I really liked the expansion pack so I can't really hate this game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

I blame Dwarf fortress.

I think they bought that one around the time they introduced vampires, or probably before that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Let's go to Crowhaven because I've seen Vilverin too many times

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I've never done Crowhaven, so let's do that.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Voting's closed! Looks like we're going to Crowhaven!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I forgot how horrifying the faces in this game were and how dated the graphics look. :catstare:

This is a game that did not age well at all. Makes me so glad Bethesta took more effort in making all the races in Skyrim pretty to look at, even the orcs! That being said, I can't wait to see how Sterv's adventures in Potato-Face Land turn out.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Good job getting killed on the fire, jeez! Also, what's with the constantly going between third and first person in the videos?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rhjamiz posted:

Good job getting killed on the fire, jeez! Also, what's with the constantly going between third and first person in the videos?

It's kind of a habit of mine to go into third person while recording to try and get something I can turn into an interesting screenshot.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 27, 2013

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Did you end up looting any of those weapons? I mean most of them weren't marked as stolen and silver axes/elven longbows would sell for a lot (and the latter'd be a nice upgrade to your current bow)

Also, dang, I missed the vote. At least what I wanted won anyway!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Pidmon posted:

Did you end up looting any of those weapons? I mean most of them weren't marked as stolen and silver axes/elven longbows would sell for a lot (and the latter'd be a nice upgrade to your current bow)

Also, dang, I missed the vote. At least what I wanted won anyway!

You can't loot weapons or gear from Arena matches barring some extensive exploits.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I thought you could, but it counted as betraying the faction for the Arena.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Redeye Flight posted:

You can't loot weapons or gear from Arena matches barring some extensive exploits.

Oh poo poo, really? Guess they gotta skim off the top somehow.

That reminds me, I wonder why you never see an adventurer with such a cluttered inventory as a main character. Move on from 'carrying 1 yarn and 3 apples' and go with some jackass carting around a million cabbages and a scroll of 'low damage huge radius' destruction called 'Have Fun - Bethseda'.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Pidmon posted:

That reminds me, I wonder why you never see an adventurer with such a cluttered inventory as a main character. Move on from 'carrying 1 yarn and 3 apples' and go with some jackass carting around a million cabbages and a scroll of 'low damage huge radius' destruction called 'Have Fun - Bethseda'.

While watching that last fight and seeing what looked like the Khajiit Berserker drinking a potion, I actually thought 'Hrmm, I guess that makes sense. They can't re-load, so they'd have plenty of potions and back-up plans. If you die, it doesn't matter if the match was profitable or not. But... Then the matches would be drawn-out and require a BUNCH of resources... Eh, whatever, the Player can just save up. I think I'd like a fair fight for once'

And it's not like Bethesda would have to set it all by hand - just set up a system of random determination, and it took me all of 10 seconds to get a rough concept down, and let the player experience the 'fun' that is meeting a guy with a sword with a paralyzing enchantment and about fifty different kitchen-ware items to scroll through if you manage to kill him.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pidmon posted:

Morrowind doesn't do this exactly, but there are several instances where you come across a corpse which is obviously supposed to be a failed adventurer who has a bunch of supplies that'd actually mirror what you'd have.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
That fuckin' arena. It was an interesting idea, and one that I thought was confusing in that it didn't transition to Skyrim, where a combination of the radiant quest system and less terrible combat seems like a no-brainer. Apparently there's something in Windhelm like it that was never actually implemented. I recall the arena being dreadfully easy in Oblivion, except for that fight against three Argonian slaves that I spent backpeddling in circles and sinking arrows into for about twenty minutes straight.

Voting already ended, but yeah, Crowhaven is a good time. And watch yourself there, you wouldn't want to catch any diseases from lurking around an old fort :drac:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'm genuinely not sure whether it's a better idea to take the arena early or late in the game; all the gladiators are scaled to your level, with increasing advantages as they go. (I think it goes from being equal all the way to player level + 7.) That's why they have nicer gear than our :catstare: friend.

If that whole Elder Scrolls MMO idea ever goes anywhere, an arena could be pretty nice. You would be able to actually sit in the stands and watch PvP matches.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Yapping Eevee posted:

If that whole Elder Scrolls MMO idea ever goes anywhere, an arena could be pretty nice. You would be able to actually sit in the stands and watch PvP matches.
If done right, that could actually be really cool

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

nuvan posted:

If done right, that could actually be really cool

eAttending your favourite eSport?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

As the Crow Flies

Before I head out, I should make sure I don't neglect my magical training.

It's BOUND to come in handy at some point. :3:

Annnnd a quick stopover at Edgar's.
Snowball comes at a magicka cost about double that of our starting fireball, but it's also got four more points of damage, so it'll be our go-to ranged spell for the time being. Shocking Touch does just as much damage for less magicka, though, so we won't always be leaning on it. Okay, explanation over.

Hmm...as long as I'm traveling a long distance...

One free horse armor, please! Also, a horse.
You've got to be kidding me.

Lady, I will STAB you if I do not get a free horse today. :catstare:
You drive a hard bargain.

To Crowhaven!
Which is waaaaaaay in the southwest corner of the map. Yay.

Forget the roads. I know where I'm going.

What's this?

Gah!

Well, whatever.

Oh, look. Bandit.

I'm not impressed.

Moving right along.

So yeah, y'know what? I rode on a horse for a while. Some of you have asked my opinion on Fast Travel, so lemme break it down for ya: in Oblivion, you can instantly travel to notable locations you've been to before. You also have the ability to travel to any major city from the start of the game, but I'm going to avoid that. Basically, I'm really only going to use Fast Travel to return to cities after quests. I don't want to miss anything, after all!

Of course, this led to me checking out a dungeon with an interesting name. Goblin Jim's Cave sounds like a cool place, right?

I honestly don't know what I was expecting.

Oh hey, a little loot room.

No, no, no. Surely not.

Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: :psyduck:

It all culminated in a fight with a wizard that was way too strong for the rest of the cave.

And then I died from an ill-advised jump. We now join Sterv at an earlier point in time.

Wait, this cave is just full of goblins.

I don't have time for that.

...okay, where did I put my horse?

Guess I'm walking!

What are those trees over by Kvatch?

They look...wrong.

I should investigate.

I'm sorry, what?
Gods' blood, you don't know, do you?
Clearly not!
Daedra overran Kvatch last night! There were glowing portals outside the walls! Gates to Oblivion itself!
Gates...to Oblivion?
There was a huge creature...something out of a nightmare...came right over the walls...blasting fire. They swarmed around it...killing.
It's all gone?
Go and see for yourself! Kvatch is a smoking ruin! We're all that's left, do you understand me? Everyone else is dead!
How did you escape?
It was Savlian Matius...some of the other guards...helped some of us escape...they cut their way out, right through the city gates. Savlian says they can hold the road. No...no, I don't believe him. Nothing can stop them. If you'd seen it, you'd know...I'm getting out of here before it's too late! They'll be here any minute, I'm telling you. Run while you can!

Not long ago, I was in prison.

I don't even remember for what. Probably the guards were tired of looking at me.

I thought I was going to die in there.

And now, here I am trying to stop a Daedric invasion.

The Emperor said...I was a hero. Destined for great things.

Oblivion take me.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 28, 2013

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...So you stumbled into the plot. Nice. Though before that you apparently just stumbled into the possession of Daedric Armour, found the spontaneous power to float, fought a man by the name of Jim who thinks he's a Goblin, and... lost your horse despite presumably not being in the cave that long.

Oh Oblivion.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

...So you stumbled into the plot. Nice. Though before that you apparently just stumbled into the possession of Daedric Armour, found the spontaneous power to float, fought a man by the name of Jim who thinks he's a Goblin, and... lost your horse despite presumably not being in the cave that long.

Oh Oblivion.

I really hope the rest of these updates can be summed up like that, also did not know about the bound armor stone. WHERE on the map is that thing?

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

xanthan posted:

I really hope the rest of these updates can be summed up like that, also did not know about the bound armor stone. WHERE on the map is that thing?
I recall there being a bunch of them, though some of them give you bound weapons instead. I also recall them being completely useless, but I may have just missed the point of them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

xanthan posted:

There's a bunch that give different things. They're all the worst of the standing stones. Just the worst.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Kvatch is on the way to Crowhaven? I guess they wanted you to hit that no matter why you were leaving the Imperial City.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Glazius posted:

Huh. Kvatch is on the way to Crowhaven? I guess they wanted you to hit that no matter why you were leaving the Imperial City.

Yup! You even pass it if you take the roads.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's not really made clear in this GIF, but lockpicking involves bumping up each tumbler and pressing the spacebar if it decides to "stick" to the top of the lock to hold it in place. Stick all of the tumblers in place and the loot's yours.

You should give Oblivion a bonus point for having the "auto-attempt" button. This was removed in Skyrim, and just bores the hell out of me after I hit 100 lockpicking and am carrying 200 lockpicks.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Is Sterv ready for what lies beyond the shiny red gate? Look into the hero's eyes and tell me he isn't ready!

He isn't ready...

I actually just saw this LP from a recommendation in the recommendation thread. I've played this game a bunch but never "beat" it (the main questline) because I keep getting better stupid ideas for new characters and starting over a lot. One day I'll "finish" it :argh:! In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the misadventures of Sterv the Khajiit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MeccaPrime posted:

He isn't ready...

Yuuuuuuuup. :negative:

MeccaPrime posted:

I actually just saw this LP from a recommendation in the recommendation thread.

You mean this thread, right? I'm not seeing said recommendation anywhere and now it's bugging the hell out of me. :argh:

• Locked thread