Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gnoman posted:

I had not troubles at all either. They even cheerfully re-supplied my key when I needed it for a patch after a basic confirmation check.

When I bought it I did the dumb thing of not realizing how I could get my key again for my second install and I got a really quick reply about it on a Saturday. Dude was chill.

Website is silly though. I'm excited for RTW2 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Am I stupid or does RtW not have a volume control option?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Agean90 posted:

the funniest thing is that that pasta rule isnt even historically accurate

Are you saying Italians don’t eat spaghetti and meatballs at every meal and talk-a like-a this-a?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How did you a) bankrupt Great Britain and b) get fired in a little more than an in-game year?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
RTW question: if an early treaty limits gun size before you get decent guns, are you still allowed to refit once you get them? Just got a treaty that limits new ships to 10" guns; I still have B's with -1 12" guns and I'm not sure if that means I get to rebuild them once I roll better 12" guns.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s supposed to be out this year.

I’ve never figured out how to draw superstructures but the game doesn’t make me so :effort:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Are we going to get to design subs in RTW2? I thought Fredrik said sub design didn’t fit the designer. Still should be fun to race to elektrobooten.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't the USS United States supposed to be this 800,000 ton monster that could launch B-36s?

I don’t know if it would have been quite that big, but yeah, it was supposed to carry nuclear bomber aircraft on, uh, what I guess would have been one-way missions.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wonder if RtW2 will let us model carriers with multiple flight decks. It’s not a good idea but more than one navy tried it out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I made it to what I think was the last mission of Ultimate General but it generated a mission that was like “defeat the confederates without taking too many casualties” where the rebels were entrenched across a river and I was like “nah”

I assume I still would have won the campaign even if I’d lost that mission, I just couldn’t be bothered to do another one. Fun battles in the middle of the campaign, though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel like that's entirely historically accurate

It was after the big “Confederates attack Washington!” mission where the rebels happily marched into the forts surrounding the capital and I had a grand old time defending them, which was substantially less accurate.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How does the multiplayer work? Is it PBEM?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Welp, I just read a bit of that LP from 2016 and then I checked Steam and it was <$10 so I bought it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Does anyone know re: RTW2 how much control you’ll have over land-based air? Seems like a big part of the equation but I can’t quite wrap my head around how they’d balance the presence of land-based fighters.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

uPen posted:

Probably similar to ships that aren't in your command. You know what they are but you can't give them orders and you don't know exactly where they are or what they're doing unless you can see them.

Yeah but how many of them are there? Can you move them around the Pacific islands to cover your bases? Do you build the squadrons yourself or is it abstracted the way land fighting is

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I was thinking about this because I’m reading a WiTP aar and went “hmm wait where do you draw the line between air war and naval war and stop simulating it”

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Paingod556 posted:

I'm just looking forward to procurement shenanigans between the services, up to and including stealing airframes

"Our latest batch of P-22C heavy fighters have been taken by the Army Air Command, citing tensions in Europe. You will receive replacements in 3 months"

"Our land based aviation comrades have just demonstrated their new dive bomber. Your naval air chief notes that it could easily be adapted for carrier operations
- We have no need for such aircraft, what could they hope to do against ships of the line?
- Negotiate for an additional batch of bombers with the army and manufacturer, modified to fly from carriers
- Petition the government to hand over all development and production to the Navy, as a matter of national security
- Sabotage the prototypes, and secretly convince the newspapers and public that the aircrafts funding should be used on proven concepts such as, say, battleships or cruisers..."

This would be amazing :allears:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Have you ever seen one of those rubber band Gatling guns? Okay, imagine that, but with aircraft catapults.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Any recommended tutorials for not sucking at ATG?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There’s so much ATG doesn’t tell you :psyduck:

I would be down for a goon game of it, but I live in Asia so I’d play my turn at a nonstandard time.

E: is there a way to automatically reinforce units or do you just do it manually with the HQ?

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 9, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

algebra testes posted:

I live in Australia and played a game of Dominions 4 where all the people in the US wouldn't stop whining about me doing my turn at the "wrong" time.

I don’t have any problem if I’m not included in games because people prefer everyone to be in a similar time zone so you could conceivably knock out a few turns in an evening together, I just wouldn’t want to join and then have anyone be surprised that I’m running my turns eight hours after everyone else.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 9, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I had not been doing that. Time to start a New Dawn game and feel my way through the new features, I guess.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The stickied posts are useful, though they don’t explain everything. I’m finding reading an AAR to be a good way to see how experienced players handle things. It’s just that there’s a lot of information, it’s all in different places, and some of it is not written and presented coherently.

I spent a while trying to figure out how to build factories before realizing my military engineers did that. After that it was transporting land units with cargo ships. After that it was how supply works.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

If you're using a TOE for your formation, reinforcements will trickle down the chain of command each turn as needed to fill the table. They'll move by rail and trucks if you have them, or if they're close enough to their parent HQ they'll travel by foot. You can click on LOG->R-IN to see what the formation is requesting in terms of units and how much is being delivered.

As an example, your supreme HQ could have a bunch of trains and use them to ship dudes out to its subordinate HQs (provided they are close enough to a railroad), which could then use trucks to deliver them to your frontline formations for a grand total of two turns.

So should my HQs keep a bunch of trucks handy, then? I have units that aren't reinforcing and I'm trying to diagnose what I'm doing wrong.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Saros posted:

It's quite possible you simply don't have enough capacity in your trains/trucks to get the reinforcements out to the HQ's, especially if they are far or there are a lot of reinforcements needed. Moving units strategically uses the same pool of rail points as sending from SHQ->HQ (but the automatic reinforcements use less rail points for an equivalent transfer than manual transfers by default).

The HQ also needs to be directly on a rail line connected to your SHQ to get anything, simply being close to a rail line is not enough.

Trains in the SHQ, trucks in the HQ and keep the HQ as close to your combat units as possible as more than three hexes means it imparts 20% less of a combat bonus with every hex (max distance for a bonus is 7).

Leaders will also gain essentially no experience (and thus better abilities and stats) if they have more staff than they have staff points for so it's important to keep them commanding a reasonable amount of units. Some will spawn with tiny amounts of staff points too (30-40) so they are more like corps commanders in practical terms as they can only command 3-4 units (depending on your unit sizes ofc) until they level up.

You can see in this example how I have my HQ's as close as possible to their units to give bonuses but keep them on the rail lines so they can receive reinforcements

I mean if you can read NATO symbols you can interpret my side (tan). I recall a certain opponent being extremely free with assigning whatever symbol to different units :argh:

Hah, thanks for using the game's regular NATO symbols then. Is that a display option you have going where unit squares spread on a tile instead of stack?

I'm getting the hang of the way supply and reinforcement to TOE units works now, thanks all.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That reminds me that I should pick up the BSG DLC and try that game out again. I bounced off the strategic layer the first time around--too much whack-a-mole against an endless reinforcement pool of enemies.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
show us the flight operations Fredrik

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If the allied force is large enough, does it form its own fleet/task force and operate independently or join your battle line? Will we be able to coordinate air operations with allied carriers?

I’m sure we’ll get answers later, but I’m curious now <:(>

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

speaking as a non-rtw haver, I have to say that all this looks the same as the original game to me

RTW2 is going to look exactly like the first one, yeah. I don’t play it for the graphics.

The differences in the screenshot are just:
A) there are carriers in the picture (also the carriers appear to have guns like the Lexington and Saratoga did which is candy for interwar boat nerds)
B) allied forces now appear in battles and sail with you, which they don’t in RTW

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wonder if we can make carriers with multiple decks like Glorious and the original Akagi configuration.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Stairmaster posted:

but you can do launches and retrievals at the same time?

I think some of the big flattops could do that anyway, since the prop planes didn’t require as much space to take off and land?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We haven’t seen any shots of Ise-style aircraft battleships yet but since the Italian carriers in that shot have guns I don’t see why we couldn’t have them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rockopolis posted:

Here's a weird question. Are there any like, industrial engineering grog games? Like, Build more "IL-2s before Stalin has you shot" / "T-34s before the Germans crash through the factory gates" kind of thing?

I would love a factory management game like this, planning production lines and managing resources and labor. I’m not sure it exists. I sketched out rules for a board game along those lines but haven’t mocked it up because I’m still bouncing back and forth about how complex it should be.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Agean90 posted:

I still say a game where u do bids on manufacturing contracts in ww2 then try to cut as many corners as possible would own hard.

You could probably pull off a pretty simple game that was like RTW without the battle elements. Basically a video game version of Triggerhappypilot’s Germany LP.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pharnakes posted:

I dunno I kind of feel like being able to see individual planes would clutter things too much and if you can't directly interact with them anyway then what's the point?

Seeing individual planes makes sense to me in 1925 when it’s like the above and you’re launching three planes at a time, but when it’s 1942 and there are potentially 100+ aircraft involved, maybe just one icon per group would be okay.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I checked the NWS forum for more on the screenshot and carrier talk:

Both carriers involved were 12,500t converted CAs making 28 kts max, they retained their 5” belt and that limits their plane capacity. One carried 6 fighters and 6 torpedo bombers and the other carried 6 fighters, 3 torpedo bombers, and 3 floatplane scouts.

The visual aspect of planes hasn’t been finalized yet; right now they appear as small pips on the map but they’re pursuing a better solution that’s easy to get information from.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Stairmaster posted:

The moral of this story is don't build a carrier less than 20k tons

I checked some historical carriers for comparison and it’s a super terrible complement even for its displacement, but it’s hard to make a specific comparison since as far as I know there was never a CA->CVL conversion of that kind historically.

E: I wrote “comparison” twice and then decided to throw in a third, apparently.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 12, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Would it be anything like Kanban?

I wasn’t aiming for something like that, more along the lines of “gather resources, play blueprint cards, don’t let the labor counter drop into the STRIKE space”

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
These are different than the Italian carriers we saw the other day, so I don’t think they retained gun armament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

MrYenko posted:

The Saipan class is the only one I can think of, loosely based on the Baltimore class heavy cruiser.

Them and the Independence-class ships were sort of what I settled on.

I wonder if one tech category will simply be “aircraft complement” as people struggle to fit more planes into their hulls.