Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've just gotten into Death Grips recently. A couple of my friends have been into 'em for a while and told me I should check them out a while back, but I never did until now, and I'm not really sure why. But yeah, this is like the best possible music to annoy your neighbors with. It's not something I can listen to all the time, but when I'm in the mood for it, man, it's real loving good. I have yet to drive to this with the windows down, but I have a feeling that would be a hilariously entertaining experience.

Though most of the time, I can't even tell Zach Hill is in this crew. Does he go crazy on the kit live? When he's actually touring with them, that is. The drums rule in Death Grips, but they very rarely sound like Zach Hill drums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7S-RhlG1bk

This was my first ever exposure to Zach Hill. I heard it in 2008, fell in love immediately, and I've been a huge fan ever since. It always astounds me how he's able to do what he does so loving well and just elevate whatever release he's on by his presence.

Part of me wants him to drum on everything, but then another part of me thinks that his style wouldn't feel as magical to me anymore if that happened. Anyway, I'm just happy that he makes music at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's much more interesting than Jay-Z performing Picasso Baby in an art museum for 8 straight hours, that's for loving sure

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

apophenium posted:

Did Death Grips just release a new album? https://soundcloud.com/deathgrips/sets/government-plates

HOLY gently caress THIS FIRST TRACK
This sounds just as noisy and distorted and aggressive as I like my Death Grips to.

Jesus Christ, those drums.

Yeah, I loving love this so far.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This just gets better and better the more I listen to it. Honestly, it might be one of my favorite things they've ever done.

I'm gonna have to throw this on in my car, especially because my girlfriend hates them :getin:

e: THAT TITLE TRACK :swoon:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 13, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Someone be cool and stick this up on Mediafire please
Yeah for real. The Thirdworlds, Megashares and Dropbox links are all down, it seems :(\
Doesn't look like this works either :negative:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 13, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, so now that I've had a few chances to listen to this in my car while speeding down the interstate with the windows down, I can say for certain that this is my favorite thing they've ever done. Seriously, going like 85 miles per hour with the cold wind whipping across my face while listening to this with the volume cranked way up just feels right. It's some of the best "get the gently caress to your destination as fast as humanly possible" music, up there with The Prodigy, 65daysofstatic, Venetian Snares and more.

It's probably one of my favorite albums of the year after only a few days of listening to it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new thread title is perfect :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well this is a loving trip.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay I just finished it and I think I still like Government Plates more, but this loving owns too. Best song is gently caress Me Out or Have A Sad Cum or Voila or Big Dipper or....gently caress, they're all great. I'm considerably more excited to see them live in August now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Catfish Noodlin posted:

So this was just posted on the Death Grips page on Facebook:

"we are now at our best and so Death Grips is over. we have officially stopped. all currently scheduled live dates are canceled. our upcoming double album "the powers that b" will still be delivered worldwide later this year via Harvest/Third Worlds Records. Death Grips was and always has been a conceptual art exhibition anchored by sound and vision. above and beyond a "band". to our truest fans, please stay legend."
So they've effectively dropped out of the NIN/Soundgarden tour this summer? :shepicide:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Didn't they already do this once?
Yeah I was kind of expecting them to do something like this because I was sure they'd done it before.

I wasn't realistically expecting them to show up on that tour this summer when I bought tickets for it but it was still cool to hope for.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AtomicRust posted:

My heart goes out to all those who bought tickets to see them live.

I love DG and everything and will miss them, but that's not a cool thing to do to your fans.
I bought tickets mainly for NIN and Death Grips, but I bought them assuming Death Grips wouldn't even show up. I'm still excited to see NIN but it's a bummer that Death Grips definitely dropped out just like I thought they would :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fat Lou posted:

Fuuuuuck, Pitchfork is in two weeks. Why do you hate Chicago Death Grips?
I think Death Grips' indifference towards their fans is indiscriminate of area!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzF0QzOWGo
Fantano discusses their rocky history, Trez's tweet, seeing them live, etc.

He also says he's not upset about them breaking up. Suuuuuuuuuure :mmmhmm:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

echronorian posted:

I think they do it consciously. I still say they put out a new album out of nowhere next year.
In addition to part 2 of Niggas On The Moon? They said in the note that it'd still be released later on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Harminoff posted:

Well Zach hill did say that he wanted to make a new Hella album this year
I'm actually semi-okay with Death Grips breaking up if it means new Hella.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well it's the second half to the double album that Niggas On The Moon is part of. And yeah, thidworlds looks like it's down.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Literal Carehaver posted:

death grips kinda gives me panic attacks is this the intended effect?
Yes. If you aren't having panic attacks, you aren't listening to enough Death Grips.

New single owns, as expected. Can't wait to blast this album in my car.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao, oh Death Grips :allears:

So these are just the instrumentals for the album coming next month? Or is this actually the album? Or something differently entirely? Sometimes I don't even know what to think with these dudes.

Nevertheless, so far it owns.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So after Pitchfork gave Fashion Week a 6.6, Death Grips (@bbpoltergeist) took to Twitter and went on this mad retweeting spree. First they retweeted a ton of people saying "I hate Death Grips" and then they RTed a bunch of memes. But it must have been at least a couple hundred RTs. I woke up and was going through my Twitter and the majority of it was Death Grips retweets.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So have they gotten back together to tour or...........?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

echronorian posted:

I hope they announce a tour and presell a ton of tickets and they play every tour date, just as they have on all their other tours
It'd be pretty loving funny and completely expected of Death Grips by this point if they got back together solely to tour, announced a giant tour and then the tour proceeded to go exactly as their last few tours have.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare: That was completely unexpected but I'm diggin' it. If other tracks on this album are surprising like this, it's gonna be an interesting one to go out on for sure.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

echronorian posted:

:siren: NEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEWNEW :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSHMKizsgg

ITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOES
ITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESIT
GOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOES
ITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOES
ITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOES

hard
You know what's hard? Me after checking out that track :eyepop:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HEY VAPER posted:

I have no idea how Death Grips fell under my radar for so long. Very much my poo poo. Are these guys touring any time soon?
Haha, they're broken up actually. Well, for the time being at least. They're just coming out with new poo poo because their final album is coming out soon (the second part of a double album, the first part of which they released last year).

hughesta posted:

I think a tour is being announced on Tuesday.
Wait what :staredog:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hughesta posted:

also jenny death leaked
:eyepop:

Can't wait to get off work and listen to this poo poo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My pants are so tight. So very, very tight. This is such fantastic news. I never thought they'd be gone for good anyway, but it's cool that they're confirming that they aren't.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Finally listening to this. Holy gently caress, Turned Off is my poo poo.

e: Okay, I retract my previous statement. This whole album is my poo poo. Goddamnit this is so good.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 20, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Discovered this unholy poo poo earlier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqcOPHpZLg8

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Y'all:

They better show up for this poo poo :circlefap:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whorelord posted:

lol if you buy tickets for this
The possibility of seeing them live deserves my money. Unless it's expensive.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

echronorian posted:

So if I get in free and they don't show up that's even Stefan.
:haw:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For one ticket?! :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh phew, that makes me feel better about potentially throwing money in the trash can in a few minutes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Score, grabbed mine for the New Orleans show. A little less than $30 with tax.

Now to see if they actually show up :shepicide:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, y'all

:staredog:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zach Hill should duet with the drummer from Battles. That would be so loving rad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

the great deceiver posted:

im not gonna harass zach hill
You chose wisely.

the great deceiver posted:

i'm not gonna go to in--n-out because its unhealthy
You chose poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

I thought this meant they were dropping a new album out of nowhere on Twitter, which wouldn't be unexpected at all for them. But it's by a different band. New project maybe?

I put it on my phone and I'm gonna listen to it at work.

e: Okay, so this definitely isn't new Death Grips. It's like this lo-fi fuzzed out noise rock thing. But is that MC Ride on vocals (at least some of them)?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 4, 2015

• Locked thread