Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If anyone's still playing this and wants to complete the Tower DLC, there's an incredible video guide out there showing you what do to so you don't get your rear end handed to you. It's for Ranger Hardcore, but I've been using it with Normal difficulty with no problems. You might want to swap out the Ashot with something else in Floor 3 if you're playing Normal or Easy, but otherwise his weapon suggestions are nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqLIDBd0JZg

It's a goddamn lifesaver because it shows you how to cheese the AI with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

the guns feel so good in this game that I always just go loud with the bolt-action rifle even though there isn't really any use for it

The devs did a fantastic job with the shotguns in this game. The Ashot is surprisingly powerful and fun to use, the Duplet feels a lot more powerful than it did in Metro 2033 and has a kickass four barrel upgrade, the Shamber is a fun and fresh take on the semi-auto shotgun, and the Azbats is incredibly badass and easily one of my favorite FPS shotguns of all time. The rifles are fun too, but unloading on some fucker with the Shambler or Abzats is something else.

The devs should seriously make a fast-paced FPS based on shotgun swing shots, ala Doom 2. They have the chops to make shotgun charging extremely fun.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

So I beat the game and dang the last act was underwhelming (D6 defense). I also ran up against the ranger ammo count limit way too often, which is pretty annoying, especially just having played Metro 2033 where I'd have enough ammo to sink a ship. By the end of the game I was practically swimming in MGR but couldn't really use it to buy anything since my guns were already upgraded. Then again, the only time I really used tons and tons of ammo was fighting monsters, not humans, since you can just knife all the humans anyways.

One of my complaints with the game is that money doesn't seem very useful. You can get much better gear from scavenging than from purchasing, and the ammo caps means you can't blow all of your money like you can in Metro 2033. It's good that you can get another use out of it by shooting it, but it doesn't solve the basic problems with stuff on the ground being better. The only thing money feels useful for is rounding out your ammo and refreshing whatever throwable items you need.

Granted, this was also a problem in Metro 2033, but at least you could go buy like 500 shotgun shells with the huge money surplus you could get, then grab a Abzats and go nuts.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

The knife throwing is really stupid. Like you chuck a knife from pretty far away and it hits a guy in the leg and he just dies instantly without making any noise, and then you get your knife back. Metro is an immersive series and that's dumb as hell even just from a game perspective because it's so easy to kill everyone without making any sound or losing bullets.

I wish there were more ways to kill people with stealth instead of either using the knife takedowns or the throwing knife on them. Suppressed weapons alert everyone if you don't land a headshot, so you're better off using the throwing knife.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I recently 100%ed the DLC levels, so I figured I'd make a quick list of the best to worst DLC in my experience.

1. Stalker level
2. Pavel
3. Spider Nest
4. Khan
5. Developer's pack
6. Reich
7. Anna
8. Red
9. Tower

Generally, if you can get only one DLC, I'd get the Chronicles pack. It has two awesome levels and a good one. The Faction pack has the awesome Stalker level, but the annoying Red level and the udnerwhelming (but still fun) Reich level drag the Faction pack down. I would've rated the Red mission a lot more if it didn't have the idiotic "game over if you're caught" mechanic that should've disappeared in the early 2000s.

Tower sucks and should be avoided unless you wan to 100% the game's achievements. The Developer Pack is much better for shooting dudes without having to worry about the morality system because it gives you every gun right off the bat for free and it doesn't have bullshit Nosailes.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought the karma system and how it ties into what ending you get was kinda wonky in general. I mean, I can understand why doing things like murdering a dude that's surrendered would make the Dark Ones pissy at you, but why is getting a strip tease considered a Bad Thing that would make the Dark Ones consider leaving you to blow yourself up? I mean, seriously. Are the Dark Ones puritans or something?

I think it would've worked better if what you did while the baby Dark One was with you would count towards whether you got the good ending or not. It'd be much easier to game, but it makes more sense for him to tell his buddies at D6 either that Artyom and the Rangers are cool dudes that should be spared or that they're all irredeemable assholes that should get blown up based on how you act around him. It's cliche, but it would work better than getting spared because you listened into thugs talking at Venice and went into lots of secret areas.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Did they make the Tower DLC easier? It was complete bullshit unless you beat it in a very specific way. I'd like to get LL Complete and 100% it, but if that means going through the Tower again, then I'll stick with the regular version of LL for now and wait for LL Complete to go something like 75% off.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dogen posted:

What if I have an air rifle and an auto shotty, game? Ever think about that?!

You're a nub for not bringing an assault rifle into the endgame, so it's all your fault. :colbert:

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 21, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Is it weird that I never really used the P90/Kalash 1012? I know that in Metro 2003, the AK-74 had a noticeable power difference over the P90, which made the AK-74 the best assault rifle for Ranger Hardcore. I tried the P90 for a bit in Last Light, but wasn't very impressed. Should I give it a shot in my LL Ranger Hardcore run?

Plus, it's Russia; pew-pew space poo poo like the P90 has no room in a world dominated by AKs. :colbert:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Honestly, I chose the RPK over the Kalash. Its just cooler that way :colbert:

I used the RPK in my first run and it loving owns. It's better than the AK-74 in looks and effectiveness.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dogen posted:

I really wish there was a way to skip some of this stuff for replays. It's great the first time but wears a little. Playing through the reduxes it reminded me I have had the same issue with Half-Life/2, and that got me thinking they're both pretty good inheritors of that lineage.

I usually pace my playthroughs far enough that I don't mind hanging with Bourbon or Pavel by the time I start a new run, but it's pretty annoying when you're going through a level just to get a specific achievement and you have to wait for your partner to go through the motions first. I don't mind the Baby Dark One because he doesn't gate off any areas, but seriously Pavel, I know exactly what you're going to do; just get it over with and let me get the journal entry I'm missing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
They were at their worst in the Last Light Tower DLC. They were aggressive as gently caress and had all sorts of techniques to take you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

I favoured revolver or shambler against nosalises. I never have much luck with assault rifles versus mutants in any game.

Automatic weapons work fine against mutants in the original Metro 2033, but shotguns are much better for mutant-busting in Last Light (and presumably, 2033 Redux).

• Locked thread