Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I remember most of the roaming monsters to actually be between 2 fortifications? Not necessarily between two fortifications you'd ever want to move between but, still between two towns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Dragon to Shadow specter because Shimon could use a good monster
Wolf over Kuriboh becausekuriboh is terrible, and even with Multiply, he's still prety terrible. It's a long time till he gets lucky.
Let's start phasing out Fizdis...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Artix posted:

Unfortunately for Shimon, that means Fizdis gets the nod over him once we get some more marshals and actually have to leave people behind due to the deployment limit. Discount is really useful early in the game.

I was more bringing up that I didn't want any of the games' own characters in this. I thought Shimon was mandatory for the first few chapters. If he's not mandatory, I have no problem dropping him in favor of Fizdis.

I always thought Fizdis was a boy when I played these games...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jynxite posted:

Replace Shadow Spectre with Silver Wolf, and make turtle soup for Blackland Fire Dragon.
Yugi is fine with his team.
On a side note, you mentioned the orbs; what are Fizmis and Shimon's?

Actually, Fizdis was in another game before this, but only briefly. She was in the Forbidden Memories as a servant, but she was captured by Seto when the palace was attacked.

Fizdis has a brightish white orb, I don't remember Shimon's

Also, I said games', not game's. Shimon is also in Duelist of the Roses. He's the intro character for the red rose faction, and a later boss for the white rose.

He uses...I think a stone golem deck.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I was curious about that. It somewhat seems that [non-story relevant] monsters with lower stats seem to actually grow more than monsters with higher stats.

Is that just in my head?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

I remember buying the game on release day, I was a Yugioh nut back then. The game seems impossible to get back into now, what with all the new types of cards though. It really looks like things got too complicated for their own good.

If you never left, it's not hard at all. It was really gradual, like with pokemon. It's much harder to start up with it now though.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Balk posted:

I never played any of the Yu-Gi-Oh RPGs (closest I got was the GBA/GBC card games with wacky rules), so I'll be watching this one.

Do the early game monsters get outclassed by later ones, or can you use whatever you want for as long as you want without too much trouble?

It's weird. Early game monsters are viable in endgame, but in midgame, they're outclassed and will usually be replaced before they can shine.

Also, some monsters are just better than others. Anything that shows up alot in the show is probably better than something like Shimon's Skull Servant

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I loved Yu-gi-oh. It was such a cool show and really helped make the card game look fun as hell.

YGO GX grew on me eventually. You need to give it some time, it is extremely stupid and continues to be stupid throughout its run. But the protagonist's bone-headed optimism makes it work.

YGO original got dark and serious in places, especially with the villains' Shadow Games (erasing memories of loved ones, cutting off ankles with buzz saw blades, ripping apart people's souls, etc...).

YGO GX is a lot more ligh-hearted and fun. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to you. You need to give it a chance. It only clicked for me when the protagonist was challenged to a Shadow Game and his response was "AW gently caress YEAH SON"
And throughout the whole Duel he's losing life points and slowly disappearing and he is still loving this poo poo :kamina:

Doesn't GX get hella emo and dark at the end though?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jynxite posted:

I'm pretty sure that the most obvious threat right there was the Stuffed Animal. I mean, just look at those cold, dead eyes and that taunting smile.
What do you want from me?!

That's not its mouth.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jynxite posted:

Oh yeah...
I think the fact that it is literally vagina dentata makes it even worse, to be honest.

Also, why does Yami know military slang? I mean, yeah, he's lived in the body of a teenage boy, but he's an ancient Egyptian pharaoh, how does he know modern military terms?

The same reason he speaks english/japanese at all?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

HangedManArcana posted:

I personally say you should bring Fritz and give Fritz blackland, and switch Kuriboh for Maneater.

Echoing this.

Kuriboh is never as good as his other low power/high utility friends.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I'm iffy about this competition... I think people could just look it up.

My guess is at the top right in the mountains

My vote of course doesn't count, but I figure I've forgotten this game enough to play along.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

The top half of the map seems completely pointless, so it would make sense that it would be somewhere there. Which of course means that it isn't there, and is instead slightly southeast of the enemy capital.

(I think you mean west bro! East would put it right in the player's path) :ssh:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

Unless I suddenly can't read a map, I believe East is equivalent to right, while West is the equivalent to left, and the red city is the enemy stronghold. So Southwest would actually put the monster on the path between the middle town and the enemy capital.

... :downs: I am remembering something else. Guess I should read the map next time!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Right, so Man-Eater Bug gains 50 attack on level, and Celtic Guardian gains 30. This means that come level 50 (or so) the bug will be stronger than the warrior. This happens a lot, and you can see it with SfaFL too. Unless a monster is important in the anime, assume the starting stats are inverse to potential. Also, a lot of the "weak" monsters are the ones who get the better abilities (like Armor, which Artix will get to)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Oh, hey. A mountain in the top right. I wonder why that's there?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yugi wouldn't be able to control marshals any, kid's a scrub.

He's actually pretty good... The Pharaoh is just better because he cheats.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
EDIT: This was a stupid post and should have been put into the megathread. :downs:

I'm not sure but... This map seems familiar... I think something Important happens here? Like... a new character?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Out of curiosity, will Multiply actually make Kuriboh viable, and how many missions will it be until it appears?

It will potentially turn kuriboh into a blue eyes white dragon (offensively), and it won't be available until we basically have a blue eyes white dragon.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

MelvinBison posted:

Great. So how long until Bakura turns evil? Is that even worth spoilering? It's usually a given.

Doesn't happen

EDIT: VV It has been... I think 7 years? maybe 8? I think I forgot because I think it doesn't stick, but now I remember the map...gently caress that map.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 15, 2013

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
The roaming monster is between the center island and enemy base

It is also, in the water. I'm pretty sure this monster is also garbage.

So yeah. Ansatsu is, as you said, probably the best monster in the game that stands alone. Is it a secret that there are monsters with tag-team powers? It's fast, has a ton of AP and attack, gets Castle Adept, is a warrior, and it's not even that frail. It's surprisingly durable for a human sized ninja. Best of all, tht's not just endgame, Ansatsu is just always great. It's almost a bit disappointing that the game just hands him to you like it's nothing.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The weird thing is Ansatsu in the actual card game is complete and total garbage.

Well, there are worse cards... but 2000 attack for 1 summon isn't too crappy. Or wasn't, power creep, and all that.

Raitzeno posted:

War of the Roses. If it's what I think it is, I do not remember enough of any individual anything in that game beyond my impression of it being a hideously overcomplicated cross between Yugioh and FFT. I recall thinking that it was extremely overambitious in terms of mechanics design.

Duelists of the Roses. It had a decent plot for what it was, but it really wasn't much anything like FFT, aside from the fact that you moved on a grid and there is a secret strategy that makes the game a joke. It's very simple once you've played it, but explaining it is almost as hard as explaining the (current) card game.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Summoned Skull was 2500 for 1 tribute, though, so all other tribute monsters were pretty much crap.

True, but you could only have 3 in your deck. Granted, that's a bit high when cards like Vorse Raider and Gemini Elf (1900 Attack, no tributes) and United We Stand and Mage power (Equipment, 800 and 500 attack and defense respectively per monster or spell you ahd down respectively) exist.

I think that's already too much talk about not-this game. So, About this game, It's fairly pretty for an anime game on the PS2. It's fun to see the 2D designs on the cards be interpreted into 3D.

Bakura's Teddy Bear is one of my favorite examples of this.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Artix posted:

...I'm totally going to go play Duelist of the Roses instead of editing the update though, you guys had better not be lying about it being a quirky strategy game similar to this.

E: Okay, Duelist of the Roses is completely loving bonkers and makes Falsebound Kingdom look sane in comparison. Why is Yugi Henry Tudor, what is even going on? :psyduck:

If you get the chance, mix a plant and a zombie. One of them needs an attack of at least 1000.

And yeah. The story is less involved than Falsebound Kingdom (Ha) but the premise is crazy. At least this is VR.
DoR is straight up English magic. Because Atlantis wasn't enough.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Two monsters:

In the mountains between the bottom left and bottom right towns
In the mountains between the top left and top right towns

Generally, whenever you get a character at the end of the chapter, they would have spawned in some time in the middle. There's one good instance where you get 2 waves of reinforcements, and you can cut them both off if you're quick enough. They even have a little converstion.

Any map where you can wait or do some strategy that's not "capture the enemy home base" in order to make the map easier, you can brute force it and usually get some extra dialogue. I'm pretty sure you can do this on the map you recruit Bakura in, but it's pretty tough.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Artix posted:

Well I did my practice run of the chapter and tested out to see what Navy did. Nothing. Not a goddamn thing. With Octoberser in the lead and an all-water team, it took 2621 frames for Mako to get to a base, and when I swapped out Jellyfish for the Mystic Horseman, it still took him 2621 frames. So either Navy's description is mistranslated, or it's bugged. Either way, it doesn't work as intended. :pseudo:

And all of the dudes in the first team were swim-type right?

A few of the "water" creatures are actually flyers I think...

Other things it could do:

Raise the movement speed while in water.
Raise the movement speed while the leader is a Swim-type to compensate for swim being generally slow.
Gives all monsters an effective "Water-Adept" that possibly stacks with other instances of water adept.
Raise the stats of Swim-type monsters.

Also, there is one more CO with Navy. You'd be forgiven for forgetting them though...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
If I remember correctly... Panther Warrior gets about as much AP as Kuriboh while having decent enough attack.

I. Gentleman belongs with Bakura...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Blue Ghost posted:

Dungeon Dice Monsters (from whatever arc that came from) because of it.

That wasn't an arc, just like a 3 episode special with Joey in a dog suit.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Blue Ghost posted:

If you were to go through Yugi's Campaign again can you replay a mission you have done on that playthrough or do you have to go though all of the missions from the start of the campaign?

You also can't have 2 campaigns going at once. So if you want to get something in Yugi's path, and you're playing Kaiba? tough luck.

It goes without saying, that you also can't quit out of a campaign half way. If you need something on mission 3, prepare to play the entire story again. I like this game but it is very...inconvenient.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sorites posted:

Dungeon Dice Monsters was a genuinely fun game, if you had the self-control not to abuse an amazing bug that let you order enemy monsters not to defend against your attacks.

Petit dragons, all the way down.
Also,

Byzantine posted:

Yugi should get Summoned Skull and Kuriboh. Give Bakura the Gentleman, but try to keep from using it as a steamroller.

Bakura should have the "no strategy" strategy, where you just have really good cards/monsters. I think there's one more monster that is good on its own and isn't a part of some gimmick.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Arming Shimon with Shadow Specter and throwing him at cannons was my go-to strategy for the entire campaign.

Pretty sure cannons can't kill, so that works. have him hit the fort from a sneaky angle, have someone else move in and clean up.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
bottom-right town

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Mystical Elf's support Ability is actually nice enough to warrant using her, if you build a team around her (Not as hard as it sounds) Her fusion material partner is also good enough to just use by itself. And since pretty much every fusion is "worth it" (Except maybe...2 or 3) Mystical Elf can be pretty good.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Artix posted:

Basically, the farther we go in the game, the more of our money will be tied up in deployment costs because we already have all the equipment we need.

I can't remember ever not being able to deploy due to a shortage of funds... Did I forget, or will the game let you deploy at zero?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Harpy lady in the lower town.

Mai's leader is called Airo there has to be more than 1. Might as well give you one early, then spend the next 2 or 3 campaigns trying to find the last one.

Guessing you need Mai and/or the harpy as the leader... maybe you actually need 2 of them, just to make you suffer.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

HangedManArcana posted:

Leveling is mosnster specific, really. Each monster progresses from lv 1 to lv 99 with specific boosts at specific points as far as I know. The marshals give an after-the-fact boost, I believe.

Edit: I think the boost is specifically for monsters that have the same color as them.

It (essentially) uses a distance formula on a 3-D grid where the x, y, and z are replaced with R, B, and G values (0-255). Each monster gets a % boost based on the bonuses of the marshal and the monster's orb color "distance" from the marshal's color. I'm not sure how the bonuses themselves are calculated e.g. Is each Heart = to 100HP? or does this method give the monster x levels towards the equivalent stat, where x is the number of ticks for the relevant stat?. That method would mess up things like Kuriboh, but help out SfaFL.

Also, after every fight the marshal gets in, the color of the Marshal's orb moves closer to each of his/her monsters, and the monsters like wise move a bit closer to the Marshal's color.

i.e. Yugi who starts off purple gives no bonus to a white monster, a small bonus to a dark blue monster, and a large bonus to another purple one..

EDIT:

...Did I miss us getting the Dark Magician?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

TheFattestPat posted:

So does Harpy's Pet Dragon not get any kind of bonus from being with it's mistresses?

Nope. There are no unique monster abilities/benefits for being in a party with another monster, aside from a few (6?) special attacks.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

I'm guessing both of them are terrible given this game's apparent hate of high level monsters.

They are both pretty good. At the time the game came out though, there weren't too many "high-level" monsters.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Yugioh was only initially about Ancient Egypt, it hasn't been about it for about a decade now. And the official explanation is something along the lines of "All the monsters are actually representations of spirits from another dimension", another dimension which has giant robot soldiers and mechanical spiders with missile launchers interacting with giant skull demons and black mages.

Chimera was described as a weak fusion monster and it was an rear end-kicker, I can only imagine that Gate Guardian will have shitloads of AP and attack the entire enemy team.

Well, as far as 3 monster fusions go, it is probably the worst. That said, it is better than all but 1 of the 2 monster fusions.

Blue Ghost posted:

I never understood the purpose of those two monsters, they only have 100 more damage than their regular counterparts (when equipped with metalmorph) but lose the effect of adding half of the opponent's attack to their own when they attack.
Especially considering how powerful a monster ends up needing to be to get through metalmorph's boost on those two monsters... Even now, I don't think any monster has enough natural attack to get though them without some kind of equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I forget what Tristan's marshal stats were... Is it just Joey but worse? Or maybe the same, but slower?

• Locked thread