Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Oh god this game :allears: I played it very extensively back in the day, it's both amazing and TERRIBLE at the same time. It is quite impressive how much effort and detail the creator put in, though. Even if the entire game is literally a downward spiral from here.

Yep, if you guys think this is "LOL ANIME" now, you ain't seen poo poo yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Not to spoil too much madness, but there are armour and accessories in the game that can only be equipped by girls with certain bust sizes. Some of them are literally underwear or corsets, yet are generally superior to the "real" armour Ryle can equip.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

I have to say, Brad Burnfist is the greatest name ever. He belongs in a Reb Brown movie, not some silly Anime dating sim game.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Oh man. I forgot just how painful this part of the game is. This isn't the last time the characters are put into an "unwinnable" situation due to a plot device, only for ANOTHER plot device to save them moments later without any player input. If you think Fina is annoying and Mary Sue-like for now, just wait until later in the game. :smithicide:

Anyway, let's go for Caris and Latyss.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Let's take Orubia for a spin.

I remember this whole bit of going to and from Ryle's hometown as being one of the worst in the game, in fact all the scenes following the liberation of the kingdom are pretty terrible. From the fact the characters know exactly what's going on without even dropping a hint to the player, to Fina's nonsense and Brad's ridiculous stubbornness, this whole segment is really terrible. Luckily, the next few bits should make up for it.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Yeah this (and the following) part of the game is surprisingly good and fairly well written compared to the rest of the game. Shame it quickly descends back into Anime bullshit later though :bang:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

One thing I do like about this game, and is rather clever, is how the characters actually use their magic and powers outside of battle, and even in cutscenes.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

SSNeoman posted:

Wow we got a half mp cost ring already? Sweet. I guess this is a pretty cool dungeon. At least it gives you a great reward for putting up with the maze.

Latyss is generally rather frail and underpowered compared to Caris and Fina in the early game. The items and spells she get from this dungeon, however, allow her to pretty much dominate the coming sections.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

At least all that exposition about Mahzok abilities will prove crucial later in the plot :downs: It really won't. That entire long conversation at Flare's house was literally pointless, apart from the "go to the next kingdom" plot hook. THIS loving GAME AND IT'S WRITING

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

NOTHIN' BUT BURNFIST YO

Also I do love how the game calls itself out on the bullshit excuse why Mariel joined.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

A protip to note is that most bosses are NOT immune to status effects, so you can pretty much shut them down utterly if you have the right characters. Also, stat-nerfs and stat buffing moves last the entire battle, so if you spend a couple of turns buffing your party and debuffing the enemy, you can render almost any boss battle a joke. That's more down to a quirk of the RPG Maker system though, rather than the game's fault.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

If you picked Caris at the mine like we have, this scene works really well. Latyss for the mine and here is also a good combo.

To get Mariel here you really have to go out of your way to do so since you don't have much of a chance to raise her Att compared to the other girls. I can't remember if it's worth it, however.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

I almost totally forgot this part of the game. Yeah, Mina is pretty pointless, to me she felt like she was supposed to be a joinable party member, but was cut from the story halfway through writing, or something. I don't understand the purpose of her appearance, but I suppose maybe she references Flare's mysterious previous game? :shrug:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

For it's faults, I do love some of the NPC banter in this game. It can be a little ~*anime*~ and :japan: but some of the NPCs are surprisingly charming and endearing.

Then I'm reminded we had the "ho ho Ryle is a called a pervert by all the girls" routine for like the thirtieth loving time. gently caress this game. :negative:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Mariel seems to switch between having her head in the clouds to being really direct and blunt almost at a whim.

On a :eng101: note, she actually starts with by far the highest Attraction of all the girls, given she joins far later. Of course, everyone else has had plenty of time to catch up through dialogue choices and optional scenes, but if you act like a dumbass or just blitz through the game up to this point it's very possible Mariel will have 20 points or so more attraction than even Caris or Orubia!

So, maybe she does just want to bang Ryle? :confused:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Almost ironically, Fina would probably benefit most from her corset, since some of her more powerful ~*Mary Sue*~ spells have a quite high MP cost, as well as being very effective on bosses.

Speaking of which, Fina is ridiculously useful for boss battles, since almost all of the Mahzoks are weak to her special abilities. I seem to remember those loving yetis in the cave being vulnerable to her spells too. From personal recollection, she had a lot of dialogue and exposition in that scene, making it feel like Flare "expected" you to take her in there.

It's a shame, really, that for being one of the most consistantly useful allies, with some of the best all round skills and equipment, Fina is pretty much insufferably irritating compared to the other girls.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Man, I totally forgot about the "Paladin Melty" thing. How amazingly ridiculous.

Her new stuff makes Caris ridiculously awesome for this stage of the game, since I think she's the first character to get her ultimate upgrades, so she'll be ahead of the curve for a while. That new skill of hers will murder anything that resists her fire elemental spells, giving her some nice coverage.

Urgh, this game really enjoys the "impassable barrier" trope, doesn't it? Almost as much as the Cops and Robbers boss battles.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

SSNeoman posted:

Okay that was legitimately cool. Good design all around. Great design, actually.
I'm trying to ignore the obvious Broken Bridge and the backtracking that is starting to approach BoFII levels. But that temple filled with skeletons? That sweet sword secret? Gold stars all around.

Yeah the amount of secrets hidden in this game is quite impressive. It's why it pays to have Hayami around, her X-Ray ability reveals all hidden goodies on screen.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Burnfist, ConspiracyNinja and...sigh...fine, Fina/Mary Sue, whatever.

And yeah, honestly guys, it's worth playing this game just to see for yourself just how bullshit Fina's minigame is. One time I actually edited the game just to slow down that loving penguin.

Ryle's solo boss is also pretty drat hard if you're at a fairly low level, don't have the best gear, or are just unlucky.

Also, heh, the game sorta explains why, if there's some all seeing oracle in the world, no one ever mentioned him before. Because he's an unlikable dickwad rear end in a top hat who makes you go through mind crushingly annoying tests. Seeing the future ain't worth that.

Brony Hunter fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 18, 2014

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Ok, for a whim I decided to download this game and play it for the first time in 5 years.

...Before I'd even left the first town my computer blue screened, and I had to do a full system restore.

I dunno if maybe RPG Maker 2000 games are just incompatable with Windows 7, or if God just hates anime. I'm willing to bet the latter.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

You know, after the game hyped up Contact Mahzoks on being a whole new level compared to previous bosses, they really should have gone all out and made this dude immune to Fina's Holy attacks. With him breaking her barrier or whatever it'd make sense from a gameplay standpoint, and although it probably wouldn't make the fight too much harder it'd certainly be kinda interesting. But instead, Contact Mahzoks are apparently just the same as the usual fare, only with a little more HP? Kinda anticlimatic.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Ohohoho, I remember what's coming up soon. It's certainly...something.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

I actually got this POS working for me. Now I get to relieve the anime memories first hand, for the first time in years. :v:

One thing that I quickly remembered is this game has pretty decent music. Sure, it's crappy MIDI and it sounds very compressed and tinny, but they all seem to be original compositions. For an RPG Maker 2000 game, that's kinda impressive, since almost every other one back then had the same ol' Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy and Suikoden songs. A game with all original music was a *big deal* back in the day.

...Unless of course the BGM is from obscure games or anime I've never heard of :shrug: Now I think about it, the latter seems more likely.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Haha, really? Wow. That's that then. :v: So that's what the default RPG Maker music sounds like? I didn't think anyone used that.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

As someone who is playing through the game right now, I should just say we all should be very grateful for Tin Tim for giving us the "abridged" versions of all these conversations. Almost every "talky" scene is at least twice as long as those posted in the LP, but you're really not missing anything at all apart from the characters going in circles again and again about the same old bullshit until they finally reach a conclusion. Honestly, Flare really needed someone to edit this game and trim much of the chaff, for all the :japan: is nothing compared to how long winded the dialogue is. This would be a much superior game if most of the ~*plot*~ scenes were edited down to a more managable length.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

I've realised if you pick Latyss to go investigating with you right at the start of the game, it's really, REALLY hard to raise Caris' affection. Most of her events and scenes are triggered only if you choose her at the beginning. I guess seeing Ryle almost die changes something inside her? I've just done the "elven village" arc and Caris's affection is barely in double digits, whilst everyone else has over 20. Strangely Orubia is by far the highest for me despite never actually using her or choosing her for anything. It seems if you don't go down the "Caris Route" the game shoves plenty of Orubia Points in your face.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

This whole segment renders the previous long scene about planning to infiltrate the castle entirely pointless. What happened to the diversion, and blowing up a part of the palace walls? Did the group just forget what the plan was as soon as they reached the city? Really, what was Flare (the creator, not the character) thinking here?

Also it makes you wonder why Fina's mother hasn't been more proactive in helping the group. Previous conversations implied she can't keep her power high for very long anymore, and yet in this scene she can blast through hoards of enemies all day with no issue, even defeating that high-level boss Mahzok with no sweat. I know that "Wise Old Mentors Passing the Torch" is a well worn cliche, but with the fate of the world apparently at stake you'd think the Legendary Hero or whatever she is would take more a personal interest.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

An interesting read, as usual. I'm guessing that Flare's first game never got an English release? Is it still available on the internet, even in it's original Japanese?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Polsy posted:

Tin Tim didn't demonstrate it, but at least in the translation, at the place with the number code, when you push the lever it just pops up an entry box for you to select the number. The original game is more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxc7CaC9wsQ

Man the original version of this game looks and sounds like arse. There's nothing more unappealing than the default RPG Maker backgrounds and music.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

That bit where you have to dodge projectiles as Fina? I vaguely recall there being some hidden treasure you can only get by allowing yourself to be hit by certain projectiles, but don't quote me on that, my memory's hazy.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

If this were a better game, the revelation that "Mahzoks aren't all evil assholes" could have been a nice plot point. It just so happens this scene is buried underneath the slog that it Victory Points sidequest...and without tinkering in the engine or grinding it's very possible for most players to never get enough points to unlock Lucitta.

Also something bugs me about the whole "oh the demons get enough negative energy in peacetime, they just want more to revive CHAOS for vague reasons" thing. It might have been more interesting if Flare's actions in the previous game was slowly starving the Mahzoks of energy and their actions in this game were out of desperation rather than vaguely defined malice. Ah well. :v:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Truthfully, I actually like Lucitta as a character. It's just a shame she wasn't optional, or maybe she could have at least joined earlier.

I agree with you liking the Disaster Dragon fight. Even though Lucitta gets plot powers halfway through, you can still easily lose if you screw up or let him debuff you too many times. It's unlike 90% of the other boss battles in the game, where you pick your nose for half the turns until Fina or whoever learns a super special new power that makes the boss vulnerable, then spamming all your best skills.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Mehuyael posted:

Does Lucitta still have enough time to promote like the others?

Lucitta doesn't gain affection, by completing the side quest you are automatically eligible for her ending

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Yeah, Lucitta can spam Ancient damage, which IIRC nothing resists and many bosses are weak to. If she joined around the same time as other girls she'd probably be one of the most powerful characters in the party.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Nofam is hard because her minions are just as strong as she are, making it three bosses in one. I find the other Demonlords pretty easy, but the last one can be a bitch if you let him run away with his buffing.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

One thing I don't get is why they bother even fighting the party. Couldn't they have already sacrificed themselves ages ago? I don't see a logical reason why they're bothering to drag this out.

Also, shouldn't they have started finally considering Fina a threat by now? The best course of action would have been the fourth Demonlord using his power to isolate her, then bumrush her with all four at once....THEN work to finish Chaos' revival.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Burnfist all day every day.

If you don't have enough points to get ANY of the girls to love you, you get the "bad ending". Well, it's hardly that, you just get a textbox saying that Ryle couldn't beat CHAOS without the power of love or some BS, then you get a Game Over. If you don't have a backup save before the Point of No Return, sucks to be you :v:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

lol Fina, no one likes you, gently caress off forever.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

You do get a different response for the last line of the ending...for every character :v: So if you want this to be a 100% complete LP you'll have to finish the game thrice for each girl! (Or peek into the editor and get the lines directly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Tin Tim posted:

Double posting so the maker wizzards see it.

Is there a way to cut the hp of CHAOS in half without breaking the whole fight? Speeding that thing up would help me greatly! But I guess there are some systems tied to his HP, so I just don't know if all will crash if his hp gets halved.

There are definately some custom systems tied to his HP. In RPG Maker 2000, the maximum HP an enemy has is 99,999, and the maximum damage any attack can do is 999. (Actually, the maximum HP might even be 9999, can't remember) Sicne Chaos is immune to every attack apart from the "atom" attacks, I theorise his "HP" is tied as a custom variable rather than his stats in the editor. You'll note that these new attacks are "different" to the others;, they're actually triggers for in battle events, switches and variables rather than real, damaging attacks. If you edit things so characters can learn those atom attacks earlier on, and try them in any other battle, they'll do NOTHING at best, or break the game at worst. Given how covoluted any custom systems had to be in RPG Maker 2000 (as it wasn't very customisable friendly at all, unlike never makers), it'll likely be a bitch to edit without breaking everything.

• Locked thread