Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

oddeye posted:

As much as it sucks that Natura had the recall, please keep in mind that they are an incredibly proactive company when it comes to issues like this. My reps that dealt with this recall cited that one bag of cat food and one bag of cat treats were found to have traces of salmonella, which is of course, not good. However, Natura ended up recalling 3 months worth of product that was made in that facility.

Some other companies might have tried to keep that under wraps completely.

This also leads to another note: ALWAYS keep the original packaging your dog or cat food came in. Why?

#1 Each bag has the lot number printed on it for just such circumstances. And

#2 If you do have to return it, and comes to me in a garbage bag, retailers like myself will not take it and

#3 Generally good lasts longer in its original packaging if its sealed and stored properly.

So is it safe to go back to Natura brand products? I was feeding California Naturals and had a bag that was recalled, so I stopped feeding it. I was really upset because we'd only gotten it a few days before the recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

oddeye posted:

Yes, I'm not sure what the protocol in the states is but in Canada a couple things would have happened.

First all the products are recalled and disposed in a manner that no human or animal can get at it.

The facility would be cleaned top to bottom and then inspected by a government official to make sure it's up to standard. As well they would make suggestions to Natura on how to prevent this again.

If anything Natura's facility is probably even more safe than before. This however hasn't won the trust of anyone and our Natura sales have suffered for it.

If they're really that diligent about their recalls, then I'd be happy to buy their dog foods again! Thanks for the info.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Kiri koli posted:

Well that sucks considering he's listed as a vet behaviorist at tufts and that's the closest one to us. We are reconsidering seeing a vet behaviorist since she now has confirmed medical issues that may be related to her behavior.

Edit: actually he's the head of the tufts animal behavior department and seems to have a long history of working on animal behavior. I don't think he's mostly a vet but maybe he's not highly regarded as a behaviorist?

I would say its just more a case of a subpar publication from (possibly) an otherwise decent researcher. I have no idea how he's regarded, but most labs have one or two meh papers, even if they are otherwise great (and I would say that's especially prevalent in biological fields because of how much other poo poo can influence their results).

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Martello posted:

I've read/heard a few different things about puppy food. Is it really necessary or can I feed my 9 week-old Cane Corso adult food? I have Taste of the Wild High Prairie for our adult dog, will that give little baby Scuda everything she needs?

You need food that is either specifically described as "for all life stages" or for puppies. A maintainence diet is not formulated for puppies and can be lacking in nutrients that they need.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Really bummed about Natura- it was working well for Bailey. Guess its back to blue buffalo and massive dumps.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So Balen had some protein in his urine (did a billion tests and he's healthy as a horse) and after talking to the vet, we're heavily considering swapping him to a lower protein diet, probably with grains. And probably Amy with him since she's getting to be "old" for a dane too. I eyeballed wellness's senior but why the hell does it have garlic in it? I'm also eyeballing earthborn's adult formula and a few others. What would you guys do? Everyone's currently on Taste of the Wild, lamb formula/sierra mountain.

How do you feel about Blue Buffalo or Wellness? Both those brands have lower proteins content and I think both offer senior and lamb formulations. Bailey has done well on both, but he's young yet.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Garlic and DE are still super popular among new age-y farmers who refuse to do fecals but think worming with chemicals is evil somehow. That and apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar (not the processed kind!) does everything from get rid of lice to increase the number of female animals you have born apparently.

Yeah garlic is hippie magic and I have had people tell me to use that instead of frontline.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Small wonder he's having that problem! Did you know the more of an ingredient you use, the less effective it is? The best thing you can do is to grate up that fresh garlic and then dilute it in water until you need to use ppm to measure it. You see, the water holds a memory of the substances it has in it, and the less there is, the harder the water has to remember. On top of that, garlic in that quantity is an offlabel use, all you're going to do is prevent rabid bats from attacking. I've got Beartato down to a 5 ppm garlic, 2ppm chamomile solution and I have not seen one vampire since the first few days I had him.

I was about to have an aneurysm and then I realized you were joking.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dr. Chaco posted:

The more over-the-counter weird ingredient diets a dog eats before a vet gets involved in the diet trial process, the harder their job gets because their choice of proteins to try gets even more limited. This is because OTC diets are rarely truly limited ingredient, and without a veterinarian's input the diet trial is likely to be done incorrectly (not fed long enough, or not fed exclusively). So, if a dog is still itchy on an OTC venison diet (or the owner tried that 3 months ago and says venison didn't work), how do I know if it didn't work because the dog is really not food-allergic, or if it's because of any of those other factors?

Also, food allergy is a thing, for sure, but flea allergy and environmental allergies are so freaking common that I think people do their itchy pets a disservice by trying to figure out the food allergy situation themselves. I cannot count the number of dogs I see for itching where the owner tried to change the diet a couple times, to no avail, and the dog has either classic flea allergy or seasonal allergies that could have been managed sooner if only the owner didn't try to chase down the food thing first.

IANAV, but last year in the fall Bailey got really itchy out of the blue and wouldn't stop. I gave him benedryl (on the vet's advice) to see if it would clear up on its own and when it didn't I spent days before the vet's appointment :qq:ing over the idead that his chicken based food was to blame and how nervous I was that I would have to do elimination diets etc.

The vet looked at me like I was a retard, told me it was most likely to be seasonal, gave him some prednisone and sent us on our way- he made it clear too that he might continue to develop more severe allergies or seasonal allergies and that would be a sort of worst case but he basically was like "you are being weird for worrying:. After like two days he was 100% better, after I was nearly in tears over the idea of expensive allergy testing and elimination diets.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

nwin posted:

This seems like pretty good advice and we've been following it. Truth is, out dogs basically are our kids so we tend to spoil them quite a bit. The one boston with the chix allergies is still taking his time to eat, but we set a timer for ten minutes once we put the bowl down and once that times up, we pick all the food up. Haven't had a real issue yet. He doesn't eat the second we put down the bowls like the other dogs but a few minutes in he will start eating. Yesterday he walked away from the bowl with a few minutes left and food still in the bowl, so we had to pick the bowl up last night.

Questions:

We give him an antihistamine each meal for his allergies. He won't take it by itself and we used to wrap it in the prepared meat and he'd eat it that way. He's an absolute problem if you try and force it in his mouth, then keep his mouth closed and make him swallow. Any ideas? We've tried the greenies pill pockets before and it's like he smells the pill and just wont eat it.

Second question is after dinner we brush their teeth and give them a dental chew. If he doesn't finish his food, should he still get a treat? I would say yes because the treat is a reward for his teeth being brushed, but I'm willing to listen.

Have you tried skim milk based cheese to wrap the pills?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

nwin posted:

No, something like Kraft singles?

Or like any cheap store brand cheese (that you can get pre-packed and sliced). You can usually warm that with your fingers and kind of hide a pill in it. If you can get stinky cheese (like maybe a stronger cheddar or swiss) that might also help hide the smell of the pill. Or something like liverwurst or pate (which would be much more expensive. If you have to pill the dog, get creative!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Mr. Belding posted:

Eh, I'm was planning on easing into a raw food type of diet instead of doggie TV dinners. Maybe this thread just isn't for me. I'll look for a place where people are talking about that kind of stuff I guess.

Balanced food is hilarious, too. May 80s nutrition never die.

HelloSailorSign is a vet (iircc) and knows his poo poo. We're not being diffcult in trying to make sure you don't gently caress up a puppies' nutrition. A cooked egg is not "raw food" and generaly speaking if you want to get raw food, you'll end up buying something like Stella and Chewy's where...wait for it...someone has done nutrient analysis and testing to make sure it is appropriate.

Feed your dog whatever you want I guess, but don't piss and moan at people who are giving you medically sound advice about balanced food (how funny, right?) that is appropriate for a puppy!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Mr. Belding posted:

So far so good, but it can't last.

I didn't gloss over it. Once more Ca:Phos balance exists in humans as well. Look. If you're honestly convinced that the very best food in the world comes in packages then knock your self out. Eat chicken nuggets and giver your kids tv dinners and your dogs old roy. I don't give a drat. And I wouldn't criticize you for doing it because plenty of people do and it's your choice. I know where you stand and you're totally down with that stuff, and you know where I stand and I'm not. I'm pretty sure we can just leave it at that.

(And once more if you think an egg is going to throw off a 6 month old puppy's calcium to phosphorus ratios then sorry, apparently you think kibble sprouted, baked and purified from the ground before people showed up. It didn't.)

Are you stupid or just dense?

No one is telling you to feed Ol' Roy. We're asking you to, if you chose to feed raw, consider buying a brand that has been AAFCO checked. There are a few, quality raw brands out there that do this, and they contain everything your dog needs to be healthy and happy. Additionally, if you source your raw meat (if you decide you can do it yourself) from a grocery store, you are risking some serious food poisoning issues. You can't just chuck raw veggies, some eggs, and meat in a bowl and say "yep that there sure is a good dog food". No one is saying that we should all just eat pre-packaged food.

Dogs are omnivores and scavengers- they'll eat meat, plants, and so on, and while it seems like this means they can just live on anything, its not that simple. If we want to go back to people, it'd be like eating chicken and green beans at every meal. How fast does that get bad for you in terms of the fact that its not nutritionally complete?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

You can, but it requires that the recipe is one given to you by an actual nutritionist who knows what they're doing, but that kind of costs money for a consultation and research that the person has legit credentials and not just "hey I found this recipe on the internet." I know plenty of people who make their dogs' food, but only after spending several hours under the guidance of a nutritionist. Basically more effort is involved than just "I put a fud in boul," though, like you said.

And I would really not make a big deal out of the food poisoning risk unless there are small children or immunocompromised persons living with you. If you take the same precautions you take when handling your own food (wash dog dishes after use, keep meat prep separate from everything else), the added risk is minimal and not even worth stressing over. Personally I think people who feed raw have cleaner food prep areas because they ARE cleaning frequently whereas most people who feed kibble don't wash their dog bowls daily, much less after every meal, and we've seen how fast that stuff can turn into salmonella station.

Well yes, I agree with you on that, I meant more like a lay person doing so with no outside guidance is more likely than not to make some mistakes. :)

As far as food poisoning, I meant more that there was a risk for the dog than the person, as I've heard from a few people that they've had their dogs get sick off of grocery store sourced raw meats before. But yeah, absolutely, as far as people go its all about clean prep surfaces and good food hygiene practices.

I'm not ragging on FEEDING RAW IS WRONG its just that there are a lot of ways that it can go wrong or be hosed up. That's the beauty of half decent kibble for most dog owner- its hard to gently caress up.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

Post pics of him showing his current body condItion.

Seconding this- some vets are so used to giant fat rear end dogs, they can't tell when a dog is healthy/ in shape.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

jacido posted:

Got the SlimCat ball thing! Gimli this morning was pretty much "what the gently caress is this thing and give me my food now".

We haven't switched vets yet because the last time we went is what confirmed to me that this vet sucks. We will go to a new vet next time for anything else. But I feel when it comes to weight loss, any vet would sell you their food on their shelves to make some extra money? If that's not the right assumption then I definitely apologize.

If you look at the bag you showed its labeled "satiety" or something to that effect- its basically designed to make the cat feel full so they dont piss and moan at you for hours about how they are going to starve to death while being less heavy/fatty/ whatever. Vets aren't making poo poo loads of money off of selling you cat food.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dr. Chaco posted:

Or maybe bacterial contamination is something that happens once in awhile when you make products out of meat? If you avoided every manufacturer, factory, or brand that ever had a recall you would have very little to feed your pets, and not much to eat yourself.

EVO and other Natura lines are still good foods and I still both feed and recommend them.

No, but you see a large corporation now owns those lines and we all know that that is bad :tinfoil:.

I fed California Naturals for a while right before they had issues last year, and then switched to AvoDerm because it was the same price and wasn't having problems. I'd go back to Naturals no problem- my dog tolerated it well, it was inexpensive and still high quality.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Kibner posted:

I have a friend whose wife works with a vet that had "not very nice things" to say about Blue Buffalo. Is there any actual harmful information coming out about BB dog food?

I did some quick research online and it looks like I should be ok with continuing to buy it for my dog but I want to make sure. He currently has no issues with stool, gas, itching, thirst, coat, or vomiting.

Honestly not all dogs are going to do good on the same foods, and some vets are really skeptical of non big brand foods because they either aren't familiar with them or think they're gimmicky. I've had my dog on Blue Buffalo, AvoDerm, Wellness, etc. Almost every one of those the vet has been like "oh that's a good choice" and doesn't care so long as my dog isn't a fat, greasy sausage beast. My mom's vet once got mad that we weren't feeding Iams and were feeding Solid Gold instead.

If you like it, your dog likes it, and he's doing fine on it, its probably fine to feed it.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

gorocket! posted:

Oh holy poo poo what :psyduck:

Are all raw diets this sketchy? There's another brand called Primal that they were kinda pushing and if it's a dangerous fad or something I'd sure like to inform people.

Raw diets just tend to attract :tinfoil: people like flies to poo poo. Just read up on it, see if its AAFCO certified, and if it passes the bullshit-o-meter.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Tamarillo posted:

Right, so I just received the complete list of food I need to buy to feed this puppy, according to the breeder: ground mince, pet milk, honey, baby rice, plain rice, mild cheese, cottage cheese, cheerios, chicken, and both Beneful and Pedigree biscuits.

:psyduck:

I also checked with the local vet who said to feed good quality puppy biscuits and that sometimes breeders have odd ideas.

She sounds like a real brain surgeon. Why feed all that poo poo?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

feld posted:

Just wanted to note that I've been feeding my dogs raw for the last year. They had not been to the vet in 11 months. When my vet asked for an update about their diet he was y vet was confused and concerned about feeding raw and surprised at the results:

"Did you get their teeth cleaned? How did they get so clean?"
"Do you make it yourself?"
"Is this the pre-made raw stuff from a pet store?"
"Do they get vegetables and vitamin supplements?"

Also my 7yo beagle has always had worrying results from blood tests -- usually liver enzyme issues. It would bounce from slightly elevated to REALLY elevated and concerning. Changing dog food would sometimes improve it a little, sometimes a lot, but it was never normalized.

I let him do another blood test because my dog has not been on his suggested medication for nearly 18 months.

Results?

Total bilirubin: normal
Cholesterol: normal
Albumin: normal
Blood glucose: normal
GGT: normal

He was gobsmacked.

If you're curious, their diet is mainly chicken leg quarters (thigh and leg attached) and pork neck bones. Occasionally they get fish. No vegetables or other filler and no offal (organ meat) as wild dogs don't eat that either -- they consume meat and bone except small prey they may eat whole (rabbits, mice, etc). Keep in mind that dogs are not humans: they have not lost the ability to manufacture their own vitamin needs. Cats, however, need taurine or they will die.

Dog breath? gone.
Teeth? Shiny white and clean!
Anal gland issues? gone.
Constitution? normal (giant schnauzers have digestion issues -- well documented, but he's been perfect since going raw)
Water intake? normal. no more gorging on water after feeding, and they stay well hydrated as muscle tissue is 70% water
Energy levels? Fantastic! I've never seen so much energy in them, and my 7yo beagle acts like a puppy again!

Cost: cheap, but you have to know where to source your food. Buy in bulk (40lb cases, or 10lb bags) and look for deals. Look where a restaurant would buy. You'd be surprised how much overhead there is on meat! I routinely get chicken leg quarters for $0.39/lb - $0.79/lb and pork neck bones from $0.89/lb - $1.09/lb. I feed ~3lbs a day. I fast them once or twice a week. This is normal and healthy. They don't need food every day. Fasting is hugely beneficial for the immune system.

I used to feed Acana/Orijen back when I could get it around $75 and the dogs would go through a bag in 3 weeks, so roughly $100/mo. Dog dental treats ~$10/mo. Dental cleanings were ~$300/dog and once a year, so that's about $50/mo averaged over the year. Add that up and it's about $160/mo. Even at $1.09/lb I'm still under $100/mo, but I'm usually on the low end at $40-$50. Feeding raw is not expensive.

tl;dr processed dog food is garbage. "let food be thy medicine"

I'm not going to argue on the internet about this and try to make you all converts or you'll quickly dry up my sources of raw food. But if you're skeptical, consider this scenario:

"My that's a nice pet snake you have there. It would be a lot healthier if you fed it this new biologically complete snake kibble."

Yeah, sounds like a load of horse poo poo doesn't it?

:wave: bye for now and keep posting cute dog and cat pictures

I'm looking forward to your peer reviewed paper in a respectable journal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

AsYouWish posted:

the other day i gave my pit bulls bones and some guts from the goat i slaughtered and they pooped half bone, half kibble turds

i then collected the turds in biowaste baggies and dissected them with forceps and a scalpel, photographing them from multiple angles, weighing them, tasting them, and testing their response to exposure to various temperature extremes

conclusion??????????: im gay

This is more intelligible and about as scientific as the earlier turd post. I'm going to photograph my dog making GBS threads too, and we can be poo poo photo buds.