Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I still think that pearls alone are a bad offering. Sure, they're expensive and will probably make the temple people and Zepathans happier, but they don't MEAN anything to us. Nor is there any form of sacrifice involved in obtaining them.

Maybe we should try and find a monster to kill on the way back from pearl hunting. That would be a proper sacrifice.

The sacrifice is walking for ~2 weeks to get to the ocean and then ~2-3 weeks to get back home. Being a Man is also about being able to take care of yourself, and about being able to do something useful. Pearl diving is a useful and unusual skill we happen to have. It is very impressive in Zepath, where no one has a clue how to start. Surviving the hike out and back for over a month is also impressive.

Incidentally, we probably remember a little about drying/salting fish, so ocean is a good place for us to gather enough food for the walk back across the scrub zone. We probably also know about what kinds of aquatic things can be made into a reasonably useful water bladder. Our wilderness survival skills are pretty pitiful, but are slightly better at the coast than in the forest. We know more about spearing fish than snaring rabbits. You can make the simplest fishing spear just by sharpening a long stick. If we get to the coast we can spend a few weeks, weave some clumsy baskets, find/make something to carry water, dry enough fish for the trip home, and find a gift that will be acceptable in Zepath.

Being a man is not primarily about killing things. Most grown men are not monster hunters. In fact, most monster hunters are the opposite of being useful to society, because society spends resources feeding and educating them for 16+ years, and then just when they get old enough to start doing useful work to repay that debt to society they run off and get themselves killed. A few, very few, monster hunters ever successfully kill any monsters. And those are men who have spent years training to hunt monsters and who go out with proper equipment. There is absolutely no way society expects or desires 16 year old boys to kill monsters during their manhood trial. If you could ask the priests at the temple ahead of time, they would absolutely discourage boys from trying to kill monsters or dangerous animals during the trial. It is not wanted.

Buuut, maybe we can spear ourselves a really ugly rock fish or something. There are plenty of ugly things in the ocean that would look like monsters to folk back in the city. We'll just have to pick something bony, so it doesn't rot to a puddle of goo before we get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
GOING TO THE OCEAN IS A BAD IDEA DO NOT DO IT I DON'T CARE WHAT WE DO I'M CASTING EVERY POSSIBLE VOTE I HAVE AGAINST IT.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
We spent our childhood in the ocean. It will be fine. If Asherah still wanted us we'd be taking a trip through the air.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
We actually know how to survive by the ocean, what to eat-not to eat, seaweed, etc. We can spear fish and such.

There is the whole potentially pissed off Ocean Entity and our having just signed some sort pact with its historical nemesis.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tsyni posted:

We spent our childhood in the ocean. It will be fine. If Asherah still wanted us we'd be taking a trip through the air.

The guy with the ETERNAL HUNGER isn't going to forget about us.

Also we have a dog for hunting in the jungles.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
What else hunts in the jungle?

Oh.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Of course people from Zepath are going to say the ocean is full of monsters. It is a foreign environment to them. Besides, have you ever looked in the ocean? It is full of monsters. gently caress the Ocean. They also say the forest is full of monsters. Everywhere outside the "safe" cities is full of monsters.

We also know that the people telling them about all the monsters lie. Or at least exaggerate to a shameless degree. There absolutely are monsters, we've seen them, but perhaps not quite so many as the city folk believe there are.

Asharah didn't eat our mom. It didn't eat us, not even when there was blood in the water. It isn't yet time to go back to Athar, but we might learn something by going back to the ocean. The ocean is in our blood.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Diogines posted:

You are lifted off of your feet and begin to move very quickly in a southwest direction, you pass through the branches of a tree which scratch your body and face, you have moved a hundred feet in less than two full seconds and...

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
We used the tooth and tried to summon something. If we don't do that I don't see why we wouldn't be safe. If it were up to me I'd try and feed Snarls as much as possible and use his offering to place on El's altar, but I think going to the ocean where we know how to get food seems smart.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

dyzzy posted:

What else hunts in the jungle?

Yeah, I'll take my chances with that before HIS HUNGER.

Angela Christine posted:

Asharah didn't eat our mom. It didn't eat us, not even when there was blood in the water. It isn't yet time to go back to Athar, but we might learn something by going back to the ocean. The ocean is in our blood.

Did you miss the part where he did, in fact, try to eat us? And how only the timely intervention of an ancient demi-god and, presumably, El or the Melachim, was able to save us?

Tsyni posted:

We used the tooth and tried to summon something. If we don't do that I don't see why we wouldn't be safe.

That's quite the conclusion there!

We just signed a blood pact with Asherah's arch-nemesis. We are, possibly, Asherah's son. If we are not, we are the son of his Former High Priest. We have had encounters with him at least twice. He knows who we are. And he is Hungry. We have been told, numerous times, to stay the gently caress away from the ocean. It is a place of danger, and demons. And when the Head Demon in Charge clearly knows who you are, and has tried to loving eat you in the past, I don't see how you can, in any way, think we'll be safe there.

A RICH WHITE MAN fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 13, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Shushem wasn't a high priest or anything, just a priest. Every village had one.

Though thinking about it, Asherah tends to show up in our godplane vision thingies, doesn't he? Or at least that's what I think our dad/walking shark represents.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Since a lot of people are throwing out theories, here's a new theory I don't think anyone's heard yet:

The Godvisions are effectively "extra lives" - Diog's attempt to keep us from dying/getting permanently crippled when doing suicidally stupid things without instantly and prematurely ending the game.

They tend to show up whenever we've gotten ourselves into some manner of scrape or other that ends with us becoming unconscious, after all, and usually immediately after we've decided that the best thing to do is to press onwards, drat the torpedoes, don't tell me the odds, full speed ahead.

Now, the specific reason why I'm bringing this theory up? We've about to pass our manhood trial (hopefully), and pass into, presumably, the main adventure proper. The Jorah-voice is also getting agitated about something - at the very least it seems like he'll be in trouble if we keep coming back in need of his aid, and it seems like he wants or needs to cover us up. This suggests, I think, that we are running out of second chances: Jorah can't cover for us for all time and he's starting to run near the end of his rope. If we keep blindly rushing forward into random crazy/dangerous poo poo on the basis that Jorah/El/Whatever will save us, we might go back to the Godvisions only to see Jorah's boss standing behind him saying "OK, this project is clearly not working out. We're pulling the plug. Jorah, we are going to have WORDS about keeping this from us."

So while relying on faith or hope or will or pure blind luck might work out from time to time, I am strongly suggesting that we really need to learn how to rely on what we actually know we can do instead of what we hope will happen. We CAN'T rely on Jorah to bail us out forever - not if his most recent words are any indication.

SerSpook posted:

Shushem wasn't a high priest or anything, just a priest. Every village had one.

Though thinking about it, Asherah tends to show up in our godplane vision thingies, doesn't he? Or at least that's what I think our dad/walking shark represents.

As far as we know there aren't any "high priests", though, nor gatherings of humanity large enough to require one - there's probably nothing between the people and Asherah than the generic title of "priest". That would make Shushem moderately important to Asherah as being one of his relatively few middlemen (though admittedly probably not enormously important, being just one of many).

Tomn fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 13, 2013

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Tomn posted:

Since a lot of people are throwing out theories, here's a new theory I don't think anyone's heard yet:

The Godvisions are effectively "extra lives" - Diog's attempt to keep us from dying/getting permanently crippled when doing suicidally stupid things without instantly and prematurely ending the game.

I don't think so. Diog has made it fairly clear that we do not have Plot Armor, we are not getting bailed out by fiat, and if we do something that might get us killed, there's a real chance we'll get killed.

Now, we do clearly have a guardian, and it has clearly bailed us out a few times. AND it seems to be trying to help us take less stupid risks because it might have a limited amount of pull.

But the fact that we have a guardian and he can bail us out was either decided on before we started, or was influenced by our choices casting ripples behind the scenes.

If they are "extra lives", we have them because something in the story says we should have "extra lives", not because Diog is afraid to pull the trigger.

That said, I think you're otherwise right. Our guardian does not have unlimited power, and we really ought to try not taxing it.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Go to the ocean, we will die in the woods much quicker. Seems we can barely go half a day without the lack of food crippling us.

Also Doig, do we know of any drugs back home? Something that will dope us out, so we can go to that beach without the risk of head injury?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Sogol posted:

If there is an Ophanim correlate for Ninveh I don't think we know it yet. Amal is the Great Moonfish and the Ophanim associated with fishermen and the Moon is Yalef. Labaras is said to have given men all arts. Surely there is an Ophanim of ship building?

There is no Ophanim associated with ship building. There is no shipbuilding in Athar or anyplace else in Ur that you are aware of.

The people of Athar are primitive savages compared to the men of Zepath in pretty much every way. The men Zepath know every art the men of Athar know and many, many, many others, from metal working, to agriculture, to animal husbandry.

Except for one.

The men of Athar can build boats, canoes, which they know how to use. No boats are built in Zepath, sometimes simple rafts which are moved along on sticks to move heavy loads but even those, rarely and only upstream of the city, never downstream. As best as you know, no one else in Ur uses boats, but you cannot know for sure if other cities do. As far as you know, no other cities are even close to the sea, Zepath is the closest and even it is two weeks away. The ocean is dangerous and best to be avoided, even the people of Zepath make no use of it, no one goes fishing there, no one goes there to get salt, it may as well be on the moon.

You know that pearls will very probably be seen, beyond being highly valuable, as a testament of courage and seen as a worthy offering to El by pretty much everyone.

Assuming you survive.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Diog: How many fingers did Azz have when we saw him? and how many does "uncle Jorah" have in our blackout moments?

Uncle Jorah had five.

Azzazel had five when he was pretending to be a dying old man and when he became a giant winged figure, six.

Tomn posted:

I like theory crafting but I want to comment on this, since I have said this explicitly before and I promise that while I may lie to you, I am not lying about this. This is not true. Events unfold and the world happens, as best as I can try to put together the various events, motivations of various people and things and some random chance. You will never get out easy because Diog wants to go easy on you. When something kills you, you will be dead, I promise. If you want to believe there is another source of for you *shrug* but you get no help from me, I promise. As to the rest of your theory, no comment! Just, not any help from me, promise.

BoneMonkey posted:

Also Doig, do we know of any drugs back home? Something that will dope us out, so we can go to that beach without the risk of head injury?
There are many herbs which can be ingested and smoked to produce an intoxicating feeling as well as mushrooms which can produce hallucinations. Intoxicants which make men glad are fun for the whole family. Intoxicants which make men see visions are seen as wicked. Visions come from El or the Melachim, any other source is either sorcerous and thus highly suspect, or demonic and outright evil. You know that Indor actually sells mushrooms which produce... interesting feelings, though you have never used them. Apparently certain snails can as well. In your partying with Ishamal and friends, you may even recognize some of them growing in the wild. Poppy is popular, but the favorite of Ishamal's cadre seems to be...

Tomn posted:

As far as we know there aren't any "high priests", though, nor gatherings of humanity large enough to require one - there's probably nothing between the people and Asherah than the generic title of "priest". That would make Shushem moderately important to Asherah as being one of his relatively few middlemen (though admittedly probably not enormously important, being just one of many).

You do know that while there are a string of smaller villages spread out further south, Athar is the largest of them.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 13, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

UppaTree posted:

I don't think so. Diog has made it fairly clear that we do not have Plot Armor, we are not getting bailed out by fiat, and if we do something that might get us killed, there's a real chance we'll get killed.

Now, we do clearly have a guardian, and it has clearly bailed us out a few times. AND it seems to be trying to help us take less stupid risks because it might have a limited amount of pull.

But the fact that we have a guardian and he can bail us out was either decided on before we started, or was influenced by our choices casting ripples behind the scenes.

If they are "extra lives", we have them because something in the story says we should have "extra lives", not because Diog is afraid to pull the trigger.

That said, I think you're otherwise right. Our guardian does not have unlimited power, and we really ought to try not taxing it.

Yeah, you're probably right - I misspoke there, I think. I don't think it was SPECIFICALLY made from the start to ensure that we don't get ourselves hosed six ways to Sunday. That said, it seems pretty clear to me that that's its effective role right now whatever the origins of the Godvisions and the Guardian - someone, Diog, El, or Melachim is looking out for us to keep us from screwing up TOO badly, and just as clearly that someone is running low on the ability (or patience) to keep doing that. We need to stop assuming that the Guardian is going to save us from everything and anything practically on demand, and stop using it as a crutch lest it be taken away when we need it most.

Which is to say we need to stop doing stupid poo poo because it sounds cool/silly. Stop doing stupid poo poo, guys, I don't think Diog is going to tell us what was happening behind the scenes if we screw this up by getting killed doing something dumb, and I really want to find out what's going on back there.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Fun Police posted:

Which is to say we need to stop doing stupid poo poo because it sounds cool/silly. Stop doing stupid poo poo, guys, I don't think Diog is going to tell us what was happening behind the scenes if we screw this up by getting killed doing something dumb, and I really want to find out what's going on back there.

Don't try to stop our fun. Enkidel is a hero! And heroes accomplish things that are stupid and crazy for normal men to attempt.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Don't try to stop our fun. Enkidel is a hero! And heroes accomplish things that are stupid and crazy for normal men to attempt.

There are two kinds of heroes - dead ones and live ones. Dead heroes rely on luck and providence. Live heroes rely on their own abilities. Let's be a live hero, not a dead one.

Particularly since we're apparently literally running short of providence.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Tomn posted:

Particularly since we're apparently literally running short of providence.

We have plenty of improvidence to make up for it.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I don't know. It seems like we might be pretty excited. We apparently just did something we have been told was quite impossible and our biggest mistake was standing up while we did it. Can we do it again? Who knows, but having done it once is really something. World changing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=129241&perpage=30&pagenumber=8#post416631328

In this post where our own internal dialog is bolded we first hear Tudiya's voice bolded saying:

Diog posted:

A man does not give up before hardship, you hear again in Tudiya's strange almost physically weighty voice. He is not here. You are almost certainly hallucinating.

That was the second time we had heard that.

The Voice is usually accompanied by glowing, enflamed eyes, sometimes changes in physical size. We got to see this up close when Tudiya told the creation story.

Of course we have seen Ishamal and Azz both just do miraculous things without any Voice or much arm waving.

Edit: I am sure the Ocean will be tohoootally fine, you know, unless we cut our finger on an oyster shell while getting pearls or something. But that could never happen. I am for the beach regardless since we know how to survive there and we are likely to encounter beasties anywhere. Plus, snarls has never seen the ocean!

Sogol fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 13, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tomn posted:

I agree that we shouldn't do dumb things because it sounds silly or cool. However, there has been a continuous theme throughout the CYOA of Belief. Believing in something, striving for it.

To try and light the fire through use of magic was risky, yes. If you look at everything we had, it had the same chances of succeeding as loving around with a firebow or trying to get a fire started through normal means. Because we are poo poo at that and have never done it ever. Just like magic. And we had some backup for the magic choice, the witch said we had natural talent, we could sense and touch the words. And there was the belief that we could do it. Which is very probably what tipped the balance in our favour and got the fire started.

One of my pet theories is that if our various votes are unanimous in believing in something, that gives that particular thing extra power. This fire vote, it failed the first time. And Diog wrote that "we do not quite believe that we can do it". Worked the second time though, after we reemphasized how much we believe in doing it.

Edit: I'm torn on where to go. On one hand, the Asherah thing is very high risk high reward. On the other hand, we're poo poo in the forest.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 13, 2013

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

The guy with the ETERNAL HUNGER isn't going to forget about us.

This seems backwards. The one-track mind means that there's no way for the god to remember us.

The fish god is basically just a force of nature. It's not going to hold a grudge any more than fire or lighting would hold a grudge.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

falcon2424 posted:

This seems backwards. The one-track mind means that there's no way for the god to remember us.

The fish god is basically just a force of nature. It's not going to hold a grudge any more than fire or lighting would hold a grudge.

This is what I'm hoping to be the case, and seems to make sense, but all the same, there are, at least, inklings of a mind with specific thoughts in its rantings, with the names and directions hidden in and amongst the HUNGER. They might not be Asherah's, but they might very well be. Not to mention that, as has been suggested, the big 'demonic' powers seem to keep humans as cattle to feed off of. That seems to be what's going on with the coastal villages, and the Asherahn religion, and setting something like that up, assigning new Priests when old ones die, etc., shows some evidence of forethought and planning.

Of course, maybe the demons haven't set it up themselves. There's something unusual going on behind the scenes if the hypothesized link between Asherah's children and the Melachim is correct, what with prayers to Asherah's children being answered occassionally, although it's supposedly impossible and heretical according to the El faith. Maybe El/the Melachim have actually set up the human farms, in order to keep the demonic gods like Asherah contained and somewhat satisfied, since they couldn't kill it outright. Maybe the Melachim themselves direct and ordain new Asherahn priests, to keep the cattle in line, and merely pretend to be Asherah while they do it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I agree that we shouldn't do dumb things because it sounds silly or cool. However, there has been a continuous theme throughout the CYOA of Belief. Believing in something, striving for it.

To try and light the fire through use of magic was risky, yes. If you look at everything we had, it had the same chances of succeeding as loving around with a firebow or trying to get a fire started through normal means. Because we are poo poo at that and have never done it ever. Just like magic. And we had some backup for the magic choice, the witch said we had natural talent, we could sense and touch the words. And there was the belief that we could do it. Which is very probably what tipped the balance in our favour and got the fire started.

One of my pet theories is that if our various votes are unanimous in believing in something, that gives that particular thing extra power. This fire vote, it failed the first time. And Diog wrote that "we do not quite believe that we can do it". Worked the second time though, after we reemphasized how much we believe in doing it.

Edit: I'm torn on where to go. On one hand, the Asherah thing is very high risk high reward. On the other hand, we're poo poo in the forest.

Well, I'll be honest and say that the fire decision wasn't TOO silly - as you said, it wasn't really much better than any of the other options at the time, and I figured the worst that would happen was that we'd try a few times, give up, and do the best with what we had (probably curling up with Snarls). I, uh, was not expecting Enkidel would keep trying to the point of unconsciousness, but I guess in retrospect that was inevitable with the way voting was going. My admonition is really meant for more general situations where people get tempted to substitute willpower for ability when that course of action is potentially actually quite risky.

That said, I'd still caution against trying to start any magic fires anytime soon. For starters, while we can guess at it we're still not actually SURE we lit that fire, and that it wasn't El or the Guardian or even Azzazel taking pity on us. More to the point, though, assuming we did light the fire, apparently doing so knocked us out and left us with an enormous hunger as well as kicking us to the godplane. Granted, we were already pretty near the edge at the time, but there's still a pretty hefty cost to trying to light magic fires. Definitely a "Break In Case of Emergency" option.

Incidentally, I actually kind agree with your theory about "faith adds to power." The risk is, though, that you absolutely need almost EVERYONE on board going all-in for that to work - and there's always the risk of it crapping out even if they do, for whatever reason. Be a bit of an interesting study in game theory, come to think of it - if everyone agrees to go all-in, there's a chance of winning big. But if just a few people play the safe course, trying to go all-in fails spectacularly. So given that a defection could actually help trigger the attempt to go all-in to begin with, when is it best for the people voting the safe course to jump ship in an attempt to try and keep from sinking the bet?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Oh right. The vote.

1. We pretty clearly lighted this with the Vayahi Or. The words were different, we felt them to be different, even in our tiredness. It also took a bit out of us but, I think when we are not exhausted, the words of flame will not be so difficult. Perhaps it was even due to being on our manhood rite?

Either way, we lit the fire, not our guardian thing. That is definitely what we believe.

I'm fine with taking the fire with us, but the pearls will still be our offering.

And now on to the timeskip.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Tomn posted:

That said, I'd still caution against trying to start any magic fires anytime soon. For starters, while we can guess at it we're still not actually SURE we lit that fire, and that it wasn't El or the Guardian or even Azzazel taking pity on us. More to the point, though, assuming we did light the fire, apparently doing so knocked us out and left us with an enormous hunger as well as kicking us to the godplane. Granted, we were already pretty near the edge at the time, but there's still a pretty hefty cost to trying to light magic fires. Definitely a "Break In Case of Emergency" option.

I'm pretty sure our enormous hunger is just because we've missed our usual 2-3 breakfasts, and the godplane and passing out was because we hit our head (and were about to pass out anyway). It was still a punch to the gut, but if we're prepared for that next time we should be fine. We should experiment with it again once we've got a source of food so that if we DO need it in an emergency we can be sure that it'll work.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Drinking the water flowing from the monument seemed to eliminate the hunger and thirst which had pent up in you, but done nothing about how tired you felt. It dried up right after you drank it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Ralith posted:

I'm pretty sure our enormous hunger is just because we've missed our usual 2-3 breakfasts, and the godplane and passing out was because we hit our head (and were about to pass out anyway). It was still a punch to the gut, but if we're prepared for that next time we should be fine. We should experiment with it again once we've got a source of food so that if we DO need it in an emergency we can be sure that it'll work.

I doubt the hunger is normal - Diog described it as feeling "as if you have gone a whole day without eating." Not "as if some other, normal person went a whole day without eating," but "as if YOU went a whole day without eating." We have a pretty good idea of what kind of sense of hunger tracks to how long it's been since last we ate, so yeah, definitely something unnatural going on there.

The question of how much fire magic takes out of us is also uncertain, assuming it was our own unassisted fire magic at work. The fact that we were hovering at the edge of exhaustion already just makes things unclear - did the cost of the fire magic just tip us over the edge, or was it already pretty hefty to begin with? We can't know for certain because we were already close to tipping the scales as is, and either answer would have much the same result. It might have been that it punched us in the gut AND sucked enough energy out of us to knock us out.

I'm not sure I'm in favor of experimenting too much, but if we do experiment I'd far prefer it to either be in case of another emergency or once we're safely back at home, where we can set things up to prepare us if stuff goes south. And to be honest, in the latter case things might not even work out then - it's possible that fire magic only works if El feels you need it and are believing hard enough, or something like that.

Also, oh, right, vote.

B, let's just timeskip. In favor of taking the fire along as a given, though, that's what people used to do before they figured out how to light fires, after all!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
We actually have confirmation that we lit the fire ourselves. Yay for having an ultra smart dog

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

We actually have confirmation that we lit the fire ourselves. Yay for having an ultra smart dog

Well...no.

Snarls confirmed that the sticks burst into flames. He did not (and arguably he cannot) confirm that we lit them ourselves. To put it another way, if Azzazel was hiding behind a tree and set the sticks on fire with magic just before we passed out, wouldn't Snarls also bark once when we asked him if the sticks burst into flame? Not to mention, how he could tell if El lit it for us from Heaven?

Come to think of it, let's see if we can try to confirm that.

Ask Snarls the following questions

- Did the sticks burst into flame while we were holding it immediately after we said Vayahi or, or did it burst into flame after we passed out? Bark once for the former, bark twice for the latter, and bark three times if the answer is neither.

- Did you sense anyone else here while we were trying to start the fire? Bark once for yes, twice for no.

- Did you sense anyone else here after we passed out? Bark once for yes, twice for no.

- Did you feel something strange about the last time we said Vayahi or? Once for yes, twice for no.

- Were you awake just after we passed out? Y/N etc.

- Aside from the fire, did anything strange happen after we passed out? Y/N etc.

- Who do you think lit the sticks on fire? Can you point at the person who did it? Bark twice if you can't.

- Come to think of it, what did you do after we passed out? Can you repeat what you did then?

- Oo's a good boy, then? Oo's a good boy? Yes you are! Yes you are!

Tomn fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 13, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

We literally didn't pass out until we hit our head, despite being ridiculously exhausted. We should be fine to experiment as soon as we have a day's food we can afford to use up. We should not set ourselves up to need to experiment in emergency situations, because if it doesn't work or if something does go wrong then we'll be double-screwed.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Remember the last time we tried to throw magic by simply copying what we saw someone else do? Just saying that, our big manhood test might not be the best time to start trying to do things like magic where we have no real idea of any of the consequences of doing so- the toll it takes on us, whose/what attention it might attract etc and hoping El just picks up any slack. At least not right from the get go anyway.

We did have the chance to learn magic from Indor but noone wanted to for some reason- I'm going to revote to pay her a visit when we get back- and take her some sweet sea snails too, she'll be falling all over herself to teach us some tricks when she sees those.

But anyway voting B; Returning to the site of our childhood montage, activate!

I'm thinking now that Jorahs either Asherahs new priest, or in training to become it- Him discovering that demons and their monstrous pets raided his village, killed his brother and stole his woman and nephew probably would have been enough to get him to fully throw his lot in with the 'world according to Sushem'. Bonus points if the only evidence ever found of us was the tooth too.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Tomn posted:

Ask Snarls the following questions

- Did the sticks burst into flame while we were holding it immediately after we said Vayahi or, or did it burst into flame after we passed out? Bark once for the former, bark twice for the latter, and bark three times if the answer is neither.
Four barks. He is not sure. He yawns and then shakes a bit. He was cold and sleepy?

Tomn posted:

- Did you sense anyone else here while we were trying to start the fire? Bark once for yes, twice for no.
One bark.

Tomn posted:

- Did you sense anyone else here after we passed out? Bark once for yes, twice for no.
Two barks.

Tomn posted:

- Did you feel something strange about the last time we said Vayahi or? Once for yes, twice for no.
One bark.

Tomn posted:

Were you awake just after we passed out? Y/N etc.
One short bark.

Tomn posted:

- Aside from the fire, did anything strange happen after we passed out? Y/N etc.
He yawns again.

Tomn posted:

- Who do you think lit the sticks on fire? Can you point at the person who did it? Bark twice if you can't.
He, a dog, who you have to admit is keeping up rather well, seems to be confused by this question. He barks 3 times.

Tomn posted:

- Come to think of it, what did you do after we passed out? Can you repeat what you did then?
He yawns.

Tomn posted:

- Oo's a good boy, then? Oo's a good boy? Yes you are! Yes you are!
Snarls gives a happy bark and through doggy pantomime indicates it is time to find breakfast. Your own stomach rumbles in agreement, you are famished.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 14, 2013

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tomn posted:

I doubt the hunger is normal - Diog described it as feeling "as if you have gone a whole day without eating." Not "as if some other, normal person went a whole day without eating," but "as if YOU went a whole day without eating." We have a pretty good idea of what kind of sense of hunger tracks to how long it's been since last we ate, so yeah, definitely something unnatural going on there.

What if we'd simply gone a day without eating? We walked for two days, carrying a 50 pound dog for half of that. Then we did magic. Then we hit our head. We could easily have slept 30 hours after all that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

All right, NOW things are getting interesting.

Ask Snarks the following questions. One bark for yes, two for no, three for "Not sure" and four for "I don't understand the question" unless otherwise specified.

- Was the person you sensed last night Azzazel/Tudiya/Ishmael/Jalitha/Someone from Zepath/Someone we met before? Separate questions for each.

- Did the person who was here do anything?

- If he did something, can you doggy pantomime what he did?

- Did the person who was here light the sticks on fire?

- Did you think the person who was here was friendly?

- Did you think the person who was here was dangerous?

- Do you know what started the fire?

- Do you know who started the fire?

- Do you think I started the fire?

- Did I sleep for more than a day (i.e. 24 hours)?

- Do you think that my personal theory of El actually being a secret cabal of Baitel merchants (who call themselves, in private, the Eluminati) working behind the scenes to manipulate civilized society for the purpose of extracting our precious bodily fluids makes any sense at all?

Man, trying to comprehensively interrogate a dog is haaard.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You interrogate Snarls. In answering your questions, he reveals that he did not see anyone else there but he does not understand what happened or how you made the fire.

You slept for one night.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Huh.

Diogines posted:

Tomn posted:

One bark, to each.

Was that a typo, or did he sense someone there without seeing him/her/it?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Typo, fixed.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Huh. So he sensed someone else there while we were trying to start the fire, but the person went away after we passed out. Did he recognize the person?

Another typo to report, then, sorry.
vvvv

Tomn fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

He indicated no one else was there.