Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Diogines posted:

A reminder on what you know about fighting ogres:

They are very large, ten feet tall or more and very, very strong. They are stupid. Lesser blows will do nothing but anger them. While an arrow might cause a minotaur to bleed to death long after it stomps you flat, an arrow is probably going to just stick in an ogre's rough hide. Of the seventy two foreskins you have obtained, two were from ogres you killed. One you shot into it's open mouth, through the roof of it's mouth and into it's brain.

Another you shot in the eye. That did not kill it. Aaron did. It sure made it angry though.

The other ogre you actually killed, you hit with an arrow in the eye at almost point blank range, ten feet off. You practically fired it from behind Aaron's shoulder. Judging the capabilities of your men, your Balls are more than a match to kill such a beast but they are immensely strong and can crush a shield in one blow. Aaron did not even try to parry the ones he fought, he dodged their blows.

IIRC Aron kills them with a spear to the neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
E. All non-mighties hold here.

Also: Send two mighty sons left, two right, us and a strong guy forward. As soon as anyone spots the ogre we are to retreat back to the fork immediately, where we can take care of it while it crawls.

Sogol posted:

Basically stick with Plan FoxTerrier with adjustments for Ogre.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Sogol posted:

IIRC Aron kills them with a spear to the neck?

You know that Aaron roasted meat in the wilderness to lure an ogre on his manhood trial at the age of 16 and hid. When it appeared, he slew it by throwing his spear through the ogre's neck. On the hunts you joined him upon, the neck remained his favorite target, or the face. Tricky considering with their great size, it's reach is longer than a spear. Aaron is very Blooded, he is fast and strong.

Aaron at 16 was probably superior to any of your men today, including Gareb, seemingly the most Blooded of your Balls.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Continuing to split up with an Ogre on us might not be the best idea. The thing is dumb we can probably get it to come at us from the tunnel, and it'll need to crawl. We can have our men wait down there, and the goblins are already in retreat. They might come at us again, but they can't come at us at the same time the Ogre can. Station some men at each tunnel entrance to stop reinforcements.

Kill the Ogre as it crawls towards us with a bunch of arrows to the face, spear thrusts when close enough. We just need a single critical blow to the neck, eye, or open mouth.

edit: We might be able to outreach it. Diog tells me in IRC that the spear is about 6 feet long and we are about 8.5 feet tall. An Ogre is 10 feet tall, or that seems to be the norm.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 29, 2014

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Sogol posted:

Ogre can't really come into the tunnel. Fight the Ogre where we have the advantage. Make sure we have rear guard on the other tunnels so we have a way out if needed. We be able to set up a bow shot if necessary.

My concern is that this particular ogre might be better suited for caves, i.e. smaller and faster. Wouldn't be the first time we came across an altered beast.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Continuing to split up with an Ogre on us might not be the best idea. The thing is dumb we can probably get it to come at us from the tunnel, and it'll need to crawl. We can have our men wait down there, and the goblins are already in retreat. They might come at us again, but they can't come at us at the same time the Ogre can. Station some men at each tunnel entrance to stop reinforcements.

Kill the Ogre as it crawls towards us with a bunch of arrows to the face, spear thrusts when close enough. We just need a single critical blow to the neck, eye, or open mouth.

edit: We might be able to outreach it. Diog tells me in IRC that the spear is about 6 feet long and we are about 8.5 feet tall. An Ogre is 10 feet tall, or that seems to be the norm.

quote:

23:43:49 | <SerSpook> will an ogre outreach our spear even though w are like 8.5 tall still?
23:43:50 | <Diog> about to zzzz
23:43:57 | <SerSpook> just a quick question on that
23:44:14 | <birdoprey> my concern is that this ogre might be better adapted for caves
23:44:19 | <birdoprey> might be smaller + faster
23:44:25 | <birdoprey> wouldn't be the first time we came across an altered beast
23:44:40 | <Diog> Your spear is approximately 6 feet long. The ogre is 10 feet tall and roughly man sized proportions. I am too tired to figure out the exact #s and going to sleep
23:44:48 | <SerSpook> night

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Mr. Wednesday posted:

My concern is that this particular ogre might be better suited for caves, i.e. smaller and faster. Wouldn't be the first time we came across an altered beast.

It's a really legitimate concern. This is bad any way we cut it.

If we fight it we might take casualties or even lose.

If we don't fight it we lose our mandate and maim the confidence of our team in a way that might cause the Wall to collapse in future fights. We also now have an alerted enemy at our back that can harry us. We might even lose people back down the road to Zepath.

I think we have to fight it, but could be wrong.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it's a dead ogre the goblins dragged in for a snack. Full speed ahead.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Pythagorean theorem says we can probably slightly outreach an ogre but in battle I'd imagine it's a tossup with moving back and forth and where we grip it, etc.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Changing my vote to

Bring our Mighty Balls to the center, and arc around the entrance. Form the rest of the line around it and the two other entrances. If possible, have the strongest non mighty balls form the actual shield wall and have the tallest mighty to be right behind them to use their increased range with their spears.

Also bring the asses in and have our reserve Balls protect them from any attacks from the rear.

I love how sexual this sounds.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 29, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Disargeria posted:

Pythagorean theorem says we can probably slightly outreach an ogre but in battle I'd imagine it's a tossup with moving back and forth and where we grip it, etc.

Finally! Our Maths investment pays off!!! What could go wrong?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Changing my vote to

Bring our Mighty Balls to the center, and arc around the entrance. Form the rest of the line around it and the two other entrances. If possible, have the strongest non mighty balls form the actual shield wall and have the tallest mighty to be right behind them to use their increased range with their spears.

Also bring the asses in and have our reserve Balls protect them from any attacks from the rear.

This is basically what I think too. We gotta bait the Ogre into chasing us down the tunnel. Once in the tunnel, its crawling and basically unable to do poo poo. gently caress it'll be shoving its vulnerable bits at us. So this I guess.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

FoxTerrier posted:

1. Split up into three groups. Two mighty sons to the left, two to the right, us in the center by someone strong. Let the rest follow, with a majority going with us down the middle. There's no point going inside in a big line if most of the men are going to be standing there uselessly, unable to make it to the front action. This also means no goblins can swing back from the right or left sides of the caves to attack the slaves/donkeys or our rear. Control all the exits and entrances, basically.

2. Jog. Don't run so fast you trip, but try not to give them time to re-group.

3. Just on the off chance there's another exit we don't know about.

Even with an ogre ahead, this is the best plan.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Tsyni posted:

from the DnD Pictures thread
Automatically disqualified

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
1.B and K We head ahead, leaving enough to cover out flanks defensively. Praying to El for guidance, and for protection for our men.

2.Q but keeping together as best we can.

3.T

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Gonna propose this:

We keep our Mighty Sons with us and go down the center. Ourselves and one other; Billy perhaps? We sight the Ogre and hit it with our bow, and keep on hitting it. The Mighty Sons will be standing just outside the tunnel ready to kill goblins and poo poo that come out at us. The Ogre, hopefully, tries to fight us and we run down the tunnel again and join the Mighty Sons, with a provoked Ogre crawling after us.

Simultaneously, a detachment of our farmers and mercenaries with our mercenary dudes providing leadership to each farmer group, assaults the presumably Ogre-free tunnels to the left and right.

Kill the Ogre as it craws towards us, hopefully plugging the tunnel for the goblins too, so no reinforcements.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B P V I think the math works out to us having a slightly longer reach than the ogre if we hold our spear near the bottom.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 29, 2014

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
B P W

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
It's maybe stoopid enough to follow us into the tunnel, reducing its mobility and height if we show it our Balls. Then we can focus on the throat.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
We should probably retreat and go back to the "smoke them out" plan if they have a cave troll. We definitely shouldn't advance.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A plan. Have your men gather and cut wooden stakes. Drive them into the ground angled sharply towards you from 5 to 10 paces down the tunnel. Angle stakes away from you around the mouth of the tunnel.

Then we make a shot with our eyes closed. Focus our hearing to locate where in the cave the ogre is and take the shot. It doesn't have to be a mighty shot, we just have to make it angry so that it will crawl up the tunnel towards us. Once it crawls over the first stakes it's trapped. The stakes pointing towards it will keep it from getting out of the tunnel. We then hit it with spears and arrows until one of us gets a kill shot or it tries to retreat and impales itself on the stakes.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

SerSpook posted:

Gonna propose this:

We keep our Mighty Sons with us and go down the center. Ourselves and one other; Billy perhaps? We sight the Ogre and hit it with our bow, and keep on hitting it. The Mighty Sons will be standing just outside the tunnel ready to kill goblins and poo poo that come out at us. The Ogre, hopefully, tries to fight us and we run down the tunnel again and join the Mighty Sons, with a provoked Ogre crawling after us.

Simultaneously, a detachment of our farmers and mercenaries with our mercenary dudes providing leadership to each farmer group, assaults the presumably Ogre-free tunnels to the left and right.

Kill the Ogre as it craws towards us, hopefully plugging the tunnel for the goblins too, so no reinforcements.

I'm voting for this.

It may not be a dragon or a giant, but Chait said ogre bones might be used as a component for our future super bow. And its other bits might fetch us a pretty penny too.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I adjusted the price-check on an entire ogre corpse.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Changing my vote to

This gets my vote.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
People voting for the various plans should remember that we know nothing about these cave systems. We do not know how the paths may widen or narrow, nor do we know if they will split again, or rejoin each other, or whatever. It is vital that we keep our backs covered and make sure our men don't get lost. Hopefully this place isn't super extensive and/or confusing.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Would it be possible to sneak forward ourselves through the middle passage to where the ogre is, with the intent of using the goblin stampede as cover. Then we would shoot the ogre in the eye and retreat to the cave split. Enraged ogre starts smashing goblins and taking damage from fighting half blind. We can then simply sit back and wait for it to tire. If it charges is we are safe in the narrow halls. Any goblins that run back can get mopped up in the small tunnels. At the least we can do some recon and warn the Balls to retreat. If we want we can also use arrow time during recon to see more.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Changing my vote to

This giant emote has won me over.

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Changing my vote to

gently caress it, THIS

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

- straight ahead
- no one is going to die doing something dumb on a goblin hunt
- don't want any goblins running out and attacking our few men outside, and this will prevent goblins from flanking us from the other 2 tunnels.

My thoughts as well. We need to protect our supplies outside and this way we can safely pursue without as much worry of an attack from behind.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
I just hope if we all cluster around that entrance, the ogre doesn't just say "gently caress it" and brings half the cave down on us.

Also, I'm throwing a vote for telling our Balls there is an Ogre and to keep in formation regardless of what wins, so no one goes charging off into an early grave thinking its only goblins.

Time to adjust our Balls and make sure none of them shrivel up when faced with such a task.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I'm so glad we named our band Labara's Balls.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

This so far has been my favorite choice we've made in this story. I feel bad that all of the balls in the diagrams are blue though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
It's nice to have fun sometimes.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I want to modify all existing plans to include the caveat that we tell our men about the Ogre and also tell anyone we send into tunnels to not engage the Ogre, we got a plan for that.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SerSpook posted:

I want to modify all existing plans to include the caveat that we tell our men about the Ogre and also tell anyone we send into tunnels to not engage the Ogre, we got a plan for that.

Guaranteed the Ogre is going to try and put our Balls in its mouth, so I second this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The Balls's of Labaras. We don't go for low brow stuff around here.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey Diog, what are our shields like? Dimensions, design, etc.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

paragon1 posted:

Hey Diog, what are our shields like? Dimensions, design, etc.

I was going to quote a previous post or picture from Diog, but it seems that there have been shields of all shapes and sizes in his previous posts. Big body sized rectangles, diamond shaped, round shields, metal shields, etc.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey DCBomb, didn't you say you were going to post the results of the survey when we left Zepath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Sorry about formatting. I have to go back to work.

SerSpook------hold gate - go with one mighty son and lure ogre to gate
There Bias Two------A
LLSix------BKQX + Jaasiel, Ithma, walk at the back. Keep an eye behind you and make sure the goblins don't attack us from behind
Althair------A
Tsyni------BPX
Task Manager------IQT
Angela Christine------BPX
Theglavwen------EQU
Deadly Ham Sandwich------BPW
FoxTerrier------NQX + Split up into three groups. Two mighty sons to the left, two to the right, us in the center by someone strong. Let the rest follow, with a majority going with us down the middle.
Eryxias------BPX
HiHo ChiRho------Hold the gate - hold this spot.
Sogol------Plan FoxTerrier
Lanky Coconut Tree------Plan FoxTerrier
the_steve------Plan FoxTerrier
Coq au Nandos------run the gently caress away
hollylolly------Plan FoxTerrier
Jewcoon------Plan FoxTerrier
Raserys------Run away
Numeron------the gently caress kind of vote is this. Your Plan foxterrier
A Terrible Person------Plan FoxTerrier
Pladdicus------BKQT
paragon1------BPV
Imperialist Dog------BPW