Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Enkidel is 100% a masochist, obviously, and I'm pretty sure that's how we get "creative" in the bedroom. Don't kinkshame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

EmpyreanFlux posted:

El is not so much a slot machine as he is the guy behind the counter at an arcade.

El is the cutting game

Pump enough time/focus/tokens into it and you could get some sweet loot back out from the top row, but sometimes we think we can get away with skimping in one or more of those things

or we’re retarded and slam the button when it’s nowhere near the string ie trying to teleport a whole village through Demon Wastelands

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

alpaca diseases posted:

El is the cutting game

Pump enough time/focus/tokens into it and you could get some sweet loot back out from the top row, but sometimes we think we can get away with skimping in one or more of those things

or we’re retarded and slam the button when it’s nowhere near the string ie trying to teleport a whole village through Demon Wastelands

What kind of alpaca diseases?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Crazycryodude posted:

Enkidel is 100% a masochist, obviously, and I'm pretty sure that's how we get "creative" in the bedroom. Don't kinkshame.

Why do you think Enkidel invented pulleys?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Crazycryodude posted:

This explains all the questions about his dad

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Tsyni posted:

What kind of alpaca diseases?

Diogines posted:

One single light outshines all other lights, great and glorious. To look upon it, you feel as if you may go blind, or that you may fall into it and become naught but light yourself. You must look away. Not from dread of malice, but with knowledge that you will surrender what you are into it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
El is the guy behind an arcade counter
Fakmok is the broken vending machine
Asherah operates the buffet
Nusku is the backroom poker game
Fare is customer service
7Bird is staying at home, you guys all suck

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

420 Gank Mid posted:

Why do you think Enkidel invented pulleys?

:hmmyes:

The real question is: Does Enkidel's will make him fit or does it make Naomi capable of receiving?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Oh man I had a really weird long dream about Enkidel &co, and it was so vivid i'm gonna post it. It was a two parter but I can't decide if the second half was related or not, and it was pretty long too.

E, Uriah, a bunch of balls, and weirdly enough some great-great grandkids and other low level randos from Zepath region were out on some kind of expedition. The terrain was some kind of wasteland, it was very dry and maybe had some scrub or like a dead looking tree every once and a while. The thing was, it was cool. Not cold, but enough that it would be intensely unpleasant if you didn't have the clothes for it. There were parts where the soil was described as being like shoving your hands into the ashes of a long dead campfire, but it wasn't truly dust. It was really obvious that this was pretty far into the game, like maybe double the time that's passed already. It was a big mission with a lot of different teams doing stuff.

Enki and Uriah and I think Gareb? + a pair of Ahaz's great grandkids or descendants just finished scouting out some kind of cave system. It wasn't that dangerous, but there were giants and weird things living in there. Giants as like the Ur version not the south version. We were looking for some specific things and didn't find them, but we found some useful information:

It had a lot of old obscure machinery. Powerful, dangerous, and semi-broken. Sort of Baitel level but a lot more difficult to understand what the purpose could ever have been.
It was polluted, heavily. This is the part that was actually the most dangerous, it was some kind of spiritual thing. A lot of machine parts in particular were repulsive because of this. Where living things lived in the cave it wasn't really bad.
"They" lived here once and did a lot of work here. I dunno who they were but I think they were some kind of strong human civilization that was opposed to Ur in the distant past, then completely destroyed and forgotten. They were evil & insanely haughty & didn't submit to El.

So we left the cave and out the mouth had a discussion on what to do next. We met some kind of guy who was living in the ruins (there were some ruins around the cave mouth), and he was more blooded than the donut but not really that blooded. He wore exotic, filthy clothes that would have been brightly colored if it wasn't so grimy. We talked to him and he spoke strongly accented Urian but nothing he said made sense. Eventually he got scared of us and ran and we let him go. Uriah thought he was crazy and was moderately pissed in general and so him and Gareb left to continue on to the next spot, while we and the kids stayed to look over a few things real quick.

There was a big piece of crumpled green-black metal half buried on the surface that must have been like... a hatch? a machine component? It was super polluted feeling and repugnant so we smashed it up into a ball and hurled it down the cave in one of those El-Rages. Then we saw that one part of the entrance was extra fungus-y with this purple-black stuff. Using presence senses we somehow determined that "they" had done magic on the original fungus to imbue it with the properties of that metal and it was ultra hosed up experimentation on living things, one of their many disgusting crimes against God. The kids had a lot of questions about what was going on with this stuff and the vote that won was some verbose impassioned speech about how some things in this world are displeasing to El, and so hateful to Him they aren't suitable for the use of men, or even demons, or anything that walks in the world.

Buried lede: one of the kids was an extremely tall young woman with a nice unusually long spear and clothes that were kind of reminiscent of the priesthood but obviously not in any way actually related. Tudiya knew about this and in fact authorized it. She was the one asking many of the questions and seemed to be pretty terse and kind of philosophical. The other kid was a more usual blooded son kinda kid. Kind of a pussy but not really, he was lacking confidence in battle from some event but in his heart could be a badass hero some day. The son found a weak spot in the wall where this fungus was growing and there was a sound of rushing water, some underground river was undercutting the place and chunks were almost falling down. After the thread bitched that we left Ahaz at home (he would have instantly noticed this), we immediately left to go tell pops, this could end up some kind of serious problem for some reason?

tl;dr
so yeah, loving weird dream situation.
Tudyia personally lead a massive % of the blooded people away from the Zepath region for some kind of long term multi year distant expedition
A good amount of the people were not that strong but everyone was unusually well educated, especially in spiritual stuff.
A strong proportion of the people who came with us were from Dor or Acco or elsewhere (!)
Armed women (!!) were with the group, and there were priests
Pops personally authorized all these things, so poo poo must have gone crazy between now and then
Presence sense was highly developed even further than now
It was in some kind of weird unknown doom zone that seemed to be more spiritually dangerous than anything else. The land was dead. Everything was dead, except a very few hardy animals and lunatics who lived in the ruins still.

Everything was cosmologically integrated and none of this was something that didn't add up or anything. I think "they" were some kind of human civ that opposed Labaras in the old times and were fully eradicated, but this was like secret priestly knowledge for some reason. They were very powerful but corrupted to the core. All their works were evil.

The weirdest part was how vivid it was and how strong the emotions of the characters were, I could practically taste them. Super weird, strong dream. I guess I felt like a real watcher or something, it was unreal.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Diog your universe is leaking, I feel like everybody's Ur dreams are becoming more vivid and more frequent

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
A hole with leaking water?

Sounds like a message to fix your goddamn roof.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah that's what I thought. someone broke down the front door when I wasn't looking so I guess I should fix that too. kind of a mess here

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Bro, ashes in the floor. Broken down mechanisms. Running water. Feeling of the place being polluted.

The cave is your house.

You self identify as as a wicked being the men of Zepath are looking to destroy.

hosed up if true.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

The update will be today, but not this morning.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

My dreams of giant muscled black guys are very different than yours.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
In GBS someone posted about their old neighbor chopping off half of their mulberry tree, and apparently tree law is really a thing and you can be sued for the loss of future berry production for a tree, which can be a LOT OF loving MONEY. Basically Zepa was right.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Oh man I had a really weird long dream about Enkidel &co, and it was so vivid i'm gonna post it. It was a two parter but I can't decide if the second half was related or not, and it was pretty long too.

E, Uriah, a bunch of balls, and weirdly enough some great-great grandkids and other low level randos from Zepath region were out on some kind of expedition. The terrain was some kind of wasteland, it was very dry and maybe had some scrub or like a dead looking tree every once and a while. The thing was, it was cool. Not cold, but enough that it would be intensely unpleasant if you didn't have the clothes for it. There were parts where the soil was described as being like shoving your hands into the ashes of a long dead campfire, but it wasn't truly dust. It was really obvious that this was pretty far into the game, like maybe double the time that's passed already. It was a big mission with a lot of different teams doing stuff.

Enki and Uriah and I think Gareb? + a pair of Ahaz's great grandkids or descendants just finished scouting out some kind of cave system. It wasn't that dangerous, but there were giants and weird things living in there. Giants as like the Ur version not the south version. We were looking for some specific things and didn't find them, but we found some useful information:

It had a lot of old obscure machinery. Powerful, dangerous, and semi-broken. Sort of Baitel level but a lot more difficult to understand what the purpose could ever have been.
It was polluted, heavily. This is the part that was actually the most dangerous, it was some kind of spiritual thing. A lot of machine parts in particular were repulsive because of this. Where living things lived in the cave it wasn't really bad.
"They" lived here once and did a lot of work here. I dunno who they were but I think they were some kind of strong human civilization that was opposed to Ur in the distant past, then completely destroyed and forgotten. They were evil & insanely haughty & didn't submit to El.

So we left the cave and out the mouth had a discussion on what to do next. We met some kind of guy who was living in the ruins (there were some ruins around the cave mouth), and he was more blooded than the donut but not really that blooded. He wore exotic, filthy clothes that would have been brightly colored if it wasn't so grimy. We talked to him and he spoke strongly accented Urian but nothing he said made sense. Eventually he got scared of us and ran and we let him go. Uriah thought he was crazy and was moderately pissed in general and so him and Gareb left to continue on to the next spot, while we and the kids stayed to look over a few things real quick.

There was a big piece of crumpled green-black metal half buried on the surface that must have been like... a hatch? a machine component? It was super polluted feeling and repugnant so we smashed it up into a ball and hurled it down the cave in one of those El-Rages. Then we saw that one part of the entrance was extra fungus-y with this purple-black stuff. Using presence senses we somehow determined that "they" had done magic on the original fungus to imbue it with the properties of that metal and it was ultra hosed up experimentation on living things, one of their many disgusting crimes against God. The kids had a lot of questions about what was going on with this stuff and the vote that won was some verbose impassioned speech about how some things in this world are displeasing to El, and so hateful to Him they aren't suitable for the use of men, or even demons, or anything that walks in the world.

Buried lede: one of the kids was an extremely tall young woman with a nice unusually long spear and clothes that were kind of reminiscent of the priesthood but obviously not in any way actually related. Tudiya knew about this and in fact authorized it. She was the one asking many of the questions and seemed to be pretty terse and kind of philosophical. The other kid was a more usual blooded son kinda kid. Kind of a pussy but not really, he was lacking confidence in battle from some event but in his heart could be a badass hero some day. The son found a weak spot in the wall where this fungus was growing and there was a sound of rushing water, some underground river was undercutting the place and chunks were almost falling down. After the thread bitched that we left Ahaz at home (he would have instantly noticed this), we immediately left to go tell pops, this could end up some kind of serious problem for some reason?

tl;dr
so yeah, loving weird dream situation.
Tudyia personally lead a massive % of the blooded people away from the Zepath region for some kind of long term multi year distant expedition
A good amount of the people were not that strong but everyone was unusually well educated, especially in spiritual stuff.
A strong proportion of the people who came with us were from Dor or Acco or elsewhere (!)
Armed women (!!) were with the group, and there were priests
Pops personally authorized all these things, so poo poo must have gone crazy between now and then
Presence sense was highly developed even further than now
It was in some kind of weird unknown doom zone that seemed to be more spiritually dangerous than anything else. The land was dead. Everything was dead, except a very few hardy animals and lunatics who lived in the ruins still.

Everything was cosmologically integrated and none of this was something that didn't add up or anything. I think "they" were some kind of human civ that opposed Labaras in the old times and were fully eradicated, but this was like secret priestly knowledge for some reason. They were very powerful but corrupted to the core. All their works were evil.

The weirdest part was how vivid it was and how strong the emotions of the characters were, I could practically taste them. Super weird, strong dream. I guess I felt like a real watcher or something, it was unreal.

This screams peyote and Dark Tower series.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

In GBS someone posted about their old neighbor chopping off half of their mulberry tree, and apparently tree law is really a thing and you can be sued for the loss of future berry production for a tree, which can be a LOT OF loving MONEY. Basically Zepa was right.

The legal advice subreddit loving loves tree law

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Trees are absurdly expensive in value due to how difficult it is to replace one. It takes decades just to regrow a fruit tree to a satisfying size and it's no surprise there's laws that will nail your dick to the wall for it

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Dreams are leaking like Dagoth Ur. I mean, Dagoth Ur - how much a coincidence is that hmm?

Who knows, EL could be a carved up divinity like Sotha Sil / Almalexia / Vivec, or as a bunch of us think, a battery / god construct akulakhan.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Volmarias posted:

The legal advice subreddit loving loves tree law

:allears:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Task Manager posted:

Mr. Pious, that Ishamal is. Here's the post people were looking for a bit back:

At the time Diogines noted we had never seen Ishamal make an offering, but per the above clarification it seems he only makes offerings when it would be socially awkward not to. Guy's got some serious hang-ups about El while is also simultaneously loved by Him. Dunno what the deal is. If I had to hazard a guess I imagine whatever happened to Ishamal's son made him swear to never worship El again, and despite his angry mood having cooled over many decades he's sticking to it.

Diogines posted:

You consider this.

He has been to El's temple many times. You have seen him speak to many people there. He was there for the end of your Manhood trial and is there on special occasions.

Yet... you cannot recall ever seeing him bring an offering there. As best you can recall, you have never seen him place an offering upon the altar, be it grain, the tools of a trade, flesh or an animal?

Nor has he been present on holy days, when the temple is packed and Zepath's leading citizens get the best seats up front? Hmm. You consider this. You have, you have seen him there on some of those days, but there have been many when he was not there.
Our post on this matter a day or two ago was incorrect, the above is still mostly correct. I'm going to blame the flu. Make sure to get your flu shots people. You have seen him attend on some holy days but not all of them, you still have not seen him make an actual offering.

[...]

We are almost done and apologize again, it'll be tomorrow.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 27, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I feel like this lends credence to Zepath, already established as being outside Ur, as also only El adjacent but not El aligned. Instead, maybe the trio is another set of pretenders, and as their Prophet, Ishamal only participates in Temple ceremony for appearances sake. El tolerates the trio much like he tolerates the Kadmonim, as a buffer state and likely to expensive to conquer.

We are afforded protection by the trio because we're their commander, more specifically an OP as gently caress sacred battlemage and priest with good paths but lol Protection.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 27, 2018

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

EmpyreanFlux posted:

I feel like this lends credence to Zepath, already established as being outside Ur, as also only El adjacent but not El aligned. Instead, maybe the trio is another set of pretenders, and as their Prophet, Ishamal only participates in Temple ceremony for appearances sake. El tolerates the trio much like he tolerates the Kadmonim, as a buffer state and likely to expensive to conquer.

We are afforded protection by the trio because we're their commander, more specifically an OP as gently caress sacred battlemage and priest with good paths but lol Protection.

Tudiya, the king of Zepath, seems pretty pious though.

Edit: I mean, I think Ishamal must have some other reason for not making offerings. Also, Zepa's monument specifically mentioned qorbans, so I don't think it's to do with that, either.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I already ATE THE FLU VACCINE AND ALL OTHER VACCINES BECAUSE I AM NOT A MONSTER THAT DISBELIEVES THEIR EFFICACY

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Ishamal knows that El worship is worshipping a pretender and doesn’t partake. Either that or it actually is Labaras as a battery and doesn’t want to worship his dad.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Asherah is Labaras' ex-wife.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

Ishamal knows that El worship is worshipping a pretender and doesn’t partake. Either that or it actually is Labaras as a battery and doesn’t want to worship his dad.

We're apparently tapping into our El tendril now (maybe deliberately after the Orm) and all we get from El is rage about altars and smug satisfaction from wrecking giants. El is not nice, where as Ish is a softie.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Ish must have some reason, but we don't even know if it's a personal choice or not. Like, it could just be, if he as the Trio's representative made any specific sacrifice, a hell of a lot of people would take it as a personal endorsement of a particular style of sacrifice, so he doesn't at all. Or he could disagree with them somehow. Or any number of possibilities.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Tudiya, the king of Zepath, seems pretty pious though.

Edit: I mean, I think Ishamal must have some other reason for not making offerings. Also, Zepa's monument specifically mentioned qorbans, so I don't think it's to do with that, either.

I don't think that disproves the idea though, rather indicates that the trio have an agreement with El; continued existence and territorial integrity, except they make themselves scarce. It it's logical to conclude that such an arrangement means all future Kings and the pop bend the knee to El.

I think it was an offer made to everyone really, and only a few reasonable ones accepted.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

EmpyreanFlux posted:

I don't think that disproves the idea though, rather indicates that the trio have an agreement with El; continued existence and territorial integrity, except they make themselves scarce. It it's logical to conclude that such an arrangement means all future Kings and the pop bend the knee to El.

I think it was an offer made to everyone really, and only a few reasonable ones accepted.

Could be. Tudiya described the weird psalms stuff in our Well as being the activation of a contract with El.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Could be. Tudiya described the weird psalms stuff in our Well as being the activation of a contract with El.

wait what?? link me to that post

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Asherah is Labaras' ex-wife.

this is canon

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

wait what?? link me to that post

alpaca diseases posted:

...what was that prayer we did at the start of the battle, it....had an effect on me

Diogines posted:

"The ancient knowledge of our people. Which one day you may learn, perhaps. Danal and Aaron have both learned some. That you noticed it is... unusual. The others did not. Fools and heretics in distant cities believe they can buy El's favor with fatted calves or speak an incantation and summon the favor of the Melachim. More the fools they who believe such nonsense. That such ancient contracts might be called upon is unknown to them and they unworthy even if they tried. But do not imagine for even a moment that we can command El's favor. Aid was asked for and prayed for under great need and El, Praise Be To His Most Holy Name, answered when we called upon Him to aid us in battle. If we do not find favor in His eyes, he may not answer if called upon another time."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Moving tapestry of Tudiya and his men moving towards battle after said invocation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGC1bV4-fmk

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Oh okay. I thought for a moment he meant the weird stuff in our well post Acco, when Tudiya was sleeping.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

quote:

"El cares not for the smell of incense upon the altar or burning flesh, for he is all powerful, always was, is and always shall be. Our offerings are a testament to him of our faith. Things you value which you surrender, things gained at great cost and hardship, such are pleasing to El."

"Great cost and hardship" is proportional to your abilities. When we were a mostly-mortal man starving in the desert, a chunk of mutant jackal flesh was worthy, and now it isn't.

I have no idea what a man like Ishamal would have to offer up in order for it to register as a meaningful sacrifice - he doesn't seem to have that many attachments or material desires, and it's not like he goes adventuring to smite demons that might legitimately challenge him - so he might as well skip it.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

mentoring Enkidel?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

UppaTree posted:

"Great cost and hardship" is proportional to your abilities. When we were a mostly-mortal man starving in the desert, a chunk of mutant jackal flesh was worthy, and now it isn't.

I have no idea what a man like Ishamal would have to offer up in order for it to register as a meaningful sacrifice - he doesn't seem to have that many attachments or material desires, and it's not like he goes adventuring to smite demons that might legitimately challenge him - so he might as well skip it.

Yeah but that's not an excuse to never offer sacrifices ever. Modern Enkidel still lays plenty of mundane sacrifices on the altar even though an entire herd of cows is just a rounding error on our finances these days. Sure, we don't get massive columns of flame, but we still regularly pay respect to El, as all pious men of Ur should. "It won't get me a 30 foot column of supernatural flame so why even bother might as well do nothing at all" is bullshit logic, the vast vast VAST majority of sacrifices appear totally mundane, including every single one most normal people make in their entire lives. But you're expected to do it anyways. Never making any sacrifices at all for any reason is extremely weird and I'm intrigued as to why Ish does it.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

One of the biggest reasons I don't trust El orthodoxy is because Ish isn't at Baitel working under the chuch and he hasn't personally sacrificed to El as far as Enkidel can remember. Additionally, he was very explicit that he served only El and yet we learn later from Amok that El is a word that means god.

The biggest reason is because the first post had the actual creation story and the El orthodox version ain't it.

Also before I forget Billy was totally going to recite the real creation story in the first post when he ran out of time.

Polgas fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 27, 2018