Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

Uh, for what it's worth, we should definitely consult 3Dad and Ish before we provide an unknown entity with strange and rare minerals. For all we know, the salt flat and illusions were put in place from the outside, not by the Democratic People's Republic of Ninhursag.

I really doubt that since they loving hate ur-people. They were bros with Damat and others at one point though.

"If You Have Come For Knowledge You Will Leave Gaining Little.
Every Lesson You And Those Before You Were Ever Given Were Wasted Upon You.
Eat Less. Desire Less. Waste Less. Breed Less.
This Concludes The Knowledge You Will Receive.
We Do Not Fear War From Barbaric Monkeys.
None Shall Ever Force Their Way Into The Walls Of The [Gibberish1] [Gibberish2] of Ninhursag.
If This Concludes Your Message, Depart. The Path Back Will Be Swift And Easy.
Tell Your Masters That The [Gibberish1] [Gibberish2] Of Ninhursag Stands Defiant Forever."

"You were not invited.
You were warned that you were not welcome.
That you came of your own will regardless is of no consequence.
A vast expanse of salt and terror should be sufficiently clear even to a monkey to stay away.
You have come to share a warning. Complete it and provide additional information and further discussion may be considered."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Also they made the road out of the salt flats very easy, as opposed to the tortuous poo poo we ran on the way in, and said they could do the same for anyone that comes with goods to trade.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Let's just paint some rocks yellow and get that fancy sword.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Outrail posted:

Let's just paint some rocks yellow tell The Orm that they have HER and get that fancy sword from the rubble

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pro tier Ogthink right here.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

YUP

Honestly I've been sitting in the whole rust thing for years. It has never come up. All our catfighting back and forth and it never came up.

ISHAMAL KNOWS ABOUT IRON WEAPONRY. He knows enough about it to reference a state of its poor repair as a point of emphasis when threatening us, which insinuates its commonality at some point in his no doubt storied past.

Now that I've left you all with that, I'm gonna go reread the Haifischi KODP archive.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 20, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I think copper and bronze both rust in Ur? One of those weird differences from Earth like how Ur bronze can strike sparks.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Crazycryodude posted:

I think copper and bronze both rust in Ur? One of those weird differences from Earth like how Ur bronze can strike sparks.

Honestly, I can’t think of a single mention of rust other than Ishamals threat about our wings.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Tarnish, perhaps, but not rust. Rust will just straight up devour ferrous metals, and I don't think that is a generally known thing.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was one of the primary arguments against iron tools? They think Iron is a useless metal for tools because it rusts, whereas good old Blooded Bronze stays the same essentially forever.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

IIRC, Bronze tarnishes and Blooded Bronze tells chemistry to go eat a bag of dicks.

Iron is known primarily for medicinal or cosmetic uses, both in its native and oxidised state.

Either way the reference to an iron blade, which is absolutely unheard of prior to our faffing about with experimenting, is rather telling.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I've always preferred pursuing blooded iron when Enkidel has already produced a set of blooded bronze that is as good or even better than what Tudiya's uncle could make so it will be harder for conservative smiths to deny iron when the greatest living smith in the region has actually made samples for them to physically test. Just make one of each and have them test it and be forced to admit to Tudiya that blooded iron is better. Admittedly this is a time consuming task but this seems to be the best solution to put doubt in iron to rest.

Is there an urgent need to make low quality blooded iron now? Aside from being an upgrade to arrows, I don't know how good a suit of low quality blooded iron will measure up to the best blooded bronze has to offer. There's the difficulty of making blooded iron too all we got was a tiny arrow head. Hopefully an Enkidel with a jubilee's time of smith training would have an easier time in the future.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We could, as is tradition, tell tradition to take a hike off a tall Oceanside cliff, followed by training whomever is the Bestest Blooded person who wants to gently caress with Iron, and train them in its use exclusively. No BB for them, just Iron. See what what happens?

Sorry pal. I get that literally everyone wants you to make the BB but I'm immortal and extremely eccentric so GET TO WORK!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Blasphemaster posted:

Tarnish, perhaps, but not rust. Rust will just straight up devour ferrous metals, and I don't think that is a generally known thing.

Polgas posted:

I've always preferred pursuing blooded iron when Enkidel has already produced a set of blooded bronze that is as good or even better than what Tudiya's uncle could make so it will be harder for conservative smiths to deny iron when the greatest living smith in the region has actually made samples for them to physically test. Just make one of each and have them test it and be forced to admit to Tudiya that blooded iron is better. Admittedly this is a time consuming task but this seems to be the best solution to put doubt in iron to rest.

Is there an urgent need to make low quality blooded iron now? Aside from being an upgrade to arrows, I don't know how good a suit of low quality blooded iron will measure up to the best blooded bronze has to offer. There's the difficulty of making blooded iron too all we got was a tiny arrow head. Hopefully an Enkidel with a jubilee's time of smith training would have an easier time in the future.

Iron is known AS rust isn't it? Iron ore is basically rust containing rocks that get pulverized to makeup, right? I don't think native iron is known in Ur, maybe not even as meteors

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I love all the theory crafting predicated on the idea that this is deliberately said and not just something Diogenes forgot to think through for a throw away line.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Out of curiosity, how far are we from Seir?

I don't want to go, because seriously, gently caress that place from how Aaron described it and also because we're here in the grasslands and I just wanna get that over with, but, I'm just wondering how likely it is that word gets to King Seir that we were nearby and made no effort to visit him.

I could definitely see him taking that as some dire insult, all things considered.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

We do need to worry about the olds getting so mad that they leave zepath weakening the military power of the city state. Same reason why opening a trade school is a non-starter. We can't afford to lose multiple people that would be make the cut on the top ten best of the region.

Polgas fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 20, 2019

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Iron is known AS rust isn't it? Iron ore is basically rust containing rocks that get pulverized to makeup, right? I don't think native iron is known in Ur, maybe not even as meteors

Yeah, I think that is the state of it, which makes Ishamal's comment about the knife as curious as it is. Might as well threaten to use a stale knife, or a rotten knife, or a BOOBLYBOO knife. The first two just don't apply to metal, and the other is a non-word. Either case applies to rust, given contemporary metallurgical knowledge.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

the_steve posted:

Out of curiosity, how far are we from Seir?

I don't want to go, because seriously, gently caress that place from how Aaron described it and also because we're here in the grasslands and I just wanna get that over with, but, I'm just wondering how likely it is that word gets to King Seir that we were nearby and made no effort to visit him.

I could definitely see him taking that as some dire insult, all things considered.

drat near other side of the world iirc.

Unsubstantiated theory: we go to Sier and meet the king. Game recognize game and we compare wings

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I love all the theory crafting predicated on the idea that this is deliberately said and not just something Diogenes forgot to think through for a throw away line.

All things considered, there is a 99.5% chance that this is the case.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Sier's king comes off as a turbo rear end in a top hat because he found out some poo poo about PTB and hated it, and it made him into a crazy prick.

However he also has the whatever you want will come true message and this is why he powders his balls with gold dust. He was just slightly more of an rear end in a top hat than us and ended up leaning into it

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

That's another thing. We should ask Ish if Enkidel can snort high quality blooded bronze powder for a few decades.

And ask Tudiya if the golden skin thing is something blooded people can do.

Wait if the king of sier is just an old blooded man then that means all the mighty men can snort blooded bronze for harder skin.

Polgas fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 20, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zodiac5000 posted:

Ninhursag is one of those places that I don't think we'll really ever get back to, barring something crazy like the Accorock being bought plus Snarls finding some Uranium free range, but I wish I knew what the gently caress is going on in there.

What? I can more or less guarantee that if Tudiya doesn't veto it we're going to wind up with enough of something for some purchases from the Vending Machine of Ninhursag.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Polgas posted:

That's another thing. We should ask Ish if Enkidel can snort high quality blooded bronze powder for a few decades.

And ask Tudiya if the golden skin thing is something blooded people can do.

Wait if the king of sier is just an old blooded man then that means all the mighty men can snort blooded bronze for harder skin.

P sure the dude eating gold is supposed to just illustrate his insane decadence but it's not like we saw him in person to evaluate the situation ourselves

I will lol my rear end off if it's a cannibal king type situation tho

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Blasphemaster posted:

YUP

Honestly I've been sitting in the whole rust thing for years. It has never come up. All our catfighting back and forth and it never came up.

ISHAMAL KNOWS ABOUT IRON WEAPONRY. He knows enough about it to reference a state of its poor repair as a point of emphasis when threatening us, which insinuates its commonality at some point in his no doubt storied past.

Now that I've left you all with that, I'm gonna go reread the Haifischi KODP archive.

I've actually brought this up before, it's filed in the same place as "copper/bronze sparks in Ur" for differences between IRL and Ur metals.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

P sure the dude eating gold is supposed to just illustrate his insane decadence but it's not like we saw him in person to evaluate the situation ourselves

I will lol my rear end off if it's a cannibal king type situation tho

"Have you heard the latest of the Cannibal King of Seir? He sent a gift to his nephew, the Cannibal Magistrate of Kavodel! It was an ancient arrow made from the blood of Enkidu!"

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Polgas posted:

We do need to worry about the olds getting so mad that they leave zepath weakening the military power of the city state. Same reason why opening a trade school is a non-starter. We can't afford to lose multiple people that would be make the cut on the top ten best of the region.

I'm pretty sure basically nobody from the Zepathan nobility would ever actually leave Zepath, as in take their family and move to Baitel. I think that's why Samson committed suicide, because when we beat him in a fight that was the last nail in the coffin that convinced him we'll definitely be king someday because nobody can beat us, and he was too honorable to abandon his city and disobey his king. But he also knew that a century or two under King Enkidel and being honor-bound to go along with our crazy heretical ideas was something he couldn't bear, so he took the one acceptable way out for a Zepathan blooded man who's not particularly interested in life and suicided by monster.

Or he was just a dumbass who was expecting to survive and got into a fight way out of his league, but while Samson was many things, dumb wasn't one of them.

Anyways, the only way out I see most of the Old Guard taking is suicide by monster or climbing the Mountain, both of which have a long lead time where we can send Aaron or Danal or whoever to chase them down and attempt to stop them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Dragging mighty men back to work as they sob and beg to be freed from this horror existance like that reluctant Monk St Whatever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Double post

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm pretty sure basically nobody from the Zepathan nobility would ever actually leave Zepath, as in take their family and move to Baitel. I think that's why Samson committed suicide, because when we beat him in a fight that was the last nail in the coffin that convinced him we'll definitely be king someday because nobody can beat us, and he was too honorable to abandon his city and disobey his king. But he also knew that a century or two under King Enkidel and being honor-bound to go along with our crazy heretical ideas was something he couldn't bear, so he took the one acceptable way out for a Zepathan blooded man who's not particularly interested in life and suicided by monster.

Or he was just a dumbass who was expecting to survive and got into a fight way out of his league, but while Samson was many things, dumb wasn't one of them.

Anyways, the only way out I see most of the Old Guard taking is suicide by monster or climbing the Mountain, both of which have a long lead time where we can send Aaron or Danal or whoever to chase them down and attempt to stop them.

Aren't there a few timeskip heresy options that described the mighty men either leaving in disgust or just outright trying to murder Enkidel? Something like even if Tudiya didn't kill you for dramatically changing society the mighty men would.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I'm like 95% certain that no, there are not.

Edit - ooooh, I get what you mean, not things that actually happened. I dunno then

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Polgas posted:

Aren't there a few timeskip heresy options that described the mighty men either leaving in disgust or just outright trying to murder Enkidel? Something like even if Tudiya didn't kill you for dramatically changing society the mighty men would.

You might be misremembering the ‘how do we deal with Hagar and the diehard heretics’ timeskip votes?

One of those had a resultant poisoning attempt on us

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Polgas posted:

Sometimes for truly wild poo poo like "propose that we let women fight" there might be a warning like that? I do kinda remember it coming up now and then, but rarely.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

All I remember anything like that was someone talking with Samson after a council meeting (maybe getting iron approved) and them referring to us as "it" and making claims that they'd do something before they let us be king or something like that.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

We will be updating tonight, but it will still be a few hours.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

That was Zimran(m?) IIRC. I'm very glad we remember that name.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

The FlimFlam Man

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

I don't think we ever actually found out who it was? It was just "be quiet, it'll hear you" but I don't think we tracked it any further than that.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Went back and checked, seems like he definitely was.

Diogines posted:

The one who called you an animal is Zimran, son of Medan. He is your very distant cousin, as are all of the Mighty Men and the patriarch of one of Zepath's eldest and most venerable families.

Also, huge thanks for the archiver, I never would've found this without it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

It's Zimzamawhimwham, TYVM. :colbert: