Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

As well as the horse, and thus the having both a prominent merchant in our debt and legitimate backing to our claim as a Kadmonim Horse-Friend, getting a favour from one of the pre-eminent families of the 2nd-3rd largest/oldest (perhaps even oldest?) city in Ur is a good deal

Plus this thing will have a bluestone in it, which is a good guesstimate of the absolute minimum Tudiya will want out of this trip

B

Yitzchak
, will you give us any assistance for this?, I hear the grasslands aren't exactly the most....straightforward area to walk through

Crazycryodude posted:

Ask Yitzchak what direction Baitshapash is in, if it's in vaguely the same direction as this monster that would make it a lot easier to justify taking the contract than if it's the opposite direction. I don't mean ask for detailed directions there because if he even has those he's not gonna give them out, but very generally is it off to the south, or north, etc.

I'm getting the feeling that, with all the tailsmans, knowledge of secret paths etc that travelers in the grasslands seem to require require to move about, knowledge of how to get to Baitshapash is less 'directions from Zepath to Baitel' and more 'directions from where you are now to the fae realm'

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

C - Demand the protective talismans they seized from Erbuke, a tracker to find the beast, and ask for anything he can reasonably give that he believes may slay the thing
T

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
T

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

alpaca diseases posted:

Plus this thing will have a bluestone in it, which is a good guesstimate of the absolute minimum Tudiya will want out of this trip

"You said you found a bluestone, my son?" "Yeah, and I traded it to communist space aliens for this really sharp sword!"

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

>>Yitzchak, will you give us any assistance for this?, I hear the grasslands aren't exactly the most....straightforward area to walk through

"If you accept you will given directions and one of our men at the closest village can guide you from there and talismans and charms to ease your way."

"Those actually work?" asks Uriah.

"Some do in specific places, most are useless, tribal superstitions."

>>Ask Yitzchak what direction Baitshapash is in.
"If it even exists, I do not know. Somewhere deep in the grass. If. For our extensive contacts I've never met a man who claims to have seen it."

>>Whatever I ask eh? How about a two-way trip to Baithshapash and back?

"Anything within reason which is my father's to give. We cannot give what we do not have. But, do this thing and we will see to it the best traveled men in Kazdack tell you what they know, one way or another, it will be as good a start as any. In some places the grass rises higher than a man and past the horizon with scarcely anything to mark your path but for the occasional rise in ground and the Mountain and the heavens. A man could wander a decade lost and never find his way."

>>Why have your people not gathered a party of men and slain the beast yourself? Or why have the Kardomin not taken such a hunt upon themselves?
Yitzchak says "It is a truly terrible beast. Some men have tried to fight it and those who have, failed. Even if we had a mind to send our own to slay it, which we do not, the tribals would be less than pleased if we marched a small army into the grass, to say nothing of other hazards. Even if we or another House sent men, it would profit nothing if it invited raids again. We are men of peace, we prefer trade over war." With a smile Yitchzak then adds "Besides, is this not what demon hunters such as you are for? You come and claim you have slain many terrible beasts, now slay one more and be richly rewarded!"

>>Diog, do we think there's anything left in the tower that would be approximately worth 12,000 talents of silver, given that even the bed sheets were nigh priceless?

Yes. The contents of the tower are worth considerably more.

>>Diog - can we get a clarification on Ish's instructions re: Power use and getting got by shadowy forces or is this a "what you know you've been told" thing?

Do you need clarification further than what GreyjoyBastard posted?

>>Does Igal think challenging them to a duel about it is a bad idea?
"Isn't that what we are supposed to do?" the impressionable youth says "Erbuke seems like a nice guy and he was wronged, we should set it to rights!" adds the possibly overly idealistic and impressionable youth.

>>If we agree to this will you give us a known map of the grasslands before our journey.
"We do not have such a thing. Succeed and we will make one for you as things stand now."

The Kadmonim have many temporary settlements and move a lot. A map would be of temporary use at best and Ur cartography is... Terribad and at best generally refers to vague landmarks. Maps such as men enjoy in another cosmos may seem self evident and obvious but are not common in Ur.

>>Diog, would our fastest route back take us along this direction?

Since you are east-northeast of Zepath this would probably take you in the furthest possible direction from home? You've not decided a route back yet.

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
B T This sounds like a pretty good deal to me. We get the horse, get to fight a cool monster, and get an open reward on top. It even sends us into the grasslands a bit and he never said we had to head straight back with the horn.

Bob Tuskins fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 16, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What's the strat for killing the bastard without going hot by using powers?
e: stealth archer again I guess

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Supersonic bronze rods through the eyes and lots of brute force. We saw at Acco that even without powers well-Blooded men can still be a real terror, Tudiya solo'd a Behemoth with just his fists and not only won but won with minimal trouble and moved on to kill even more. Enkidel + Uriah can probably do a significant amount of damage, especially if we manage to get an arrow sneak attack in to kick it all off.

Balder
Apr 3, 2011
A

I don't trust it and we need to use our time wisely.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah but if it really shoots lightning it drat well be one of the Juiced Up Ones

irl pro tip for shooting elephants is to aim for the ear hole, that's the weak spot on these guys

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm heavily leaning towards trying to kill this loving thing

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

A

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

Supersonic bronze rods through the eyes and lots of brute force. We saw at Acco that even without powers well-Blooded men can still be a real terror, Tudiya solo'd a Behemoth with just his fists and not only won but won with minimal trouble and moved on to kill even more. Enkidel + Uriah can probably do a significant amount of damage, especially if we manage to get an arrow sneak attack in to kick it all off.

Tudiya was able to throw a smaller behemoth with just his regular strength. We aren't 100% sure but we're fairly confident that our base strength exceeds Tudiya's if he isn't using mystical powers to enhance his abilities. There's a non-zero chance that we can just pick up and throw a house sized elephant. Regular earth elephants weigh around 6 tons, Mercy weighs almost 40 tons and we can't even use our full strength with it.

More importantly Uriah is hopefully fast enough to dodge the thing in melee while we shoot at it or something like that. The lightning is a bit of an issue though?

Even more importantly there's stuff in the tower that we can grab that will cover the cost of Yafa. That seems like the easiest solution to this side quest.

L - Break back into the tower of Carine in the dead of night to steal something ancient and priceless to exchange for Yafa.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

We just want to remind you that you have never heard of anything called an elephant, to respond to posts assuming it is an elephant.

That is not an elephant, you might notice it has lots of features which elephants lack though the inclusion of an elephant like nose does give that impression since you as the squirrels in Enkidel's head strongly associate such a feature with elephants. This picture represents the jumble of strange features which this man has described to you. From what he described it also has one horn which is larger than the others, white and spiraled which shoots lightning.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 15, 2019

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ok, that's fair. But how big is the Udug from his rough description in comparison to a small behemoth from Acco 2.0? Do we think they'd be roughly the same size?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

Ok, that's fair. But how big is the Udug from his rough description in comparison to a small behemoth from Acco 2.0? Do we think they'd be roughly the same size?

From the description you can't really tell, even the stories Yitzchak has must be third hand at best.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

quote:

Yitzchak says "It is a truly terrible beast. Some men have tried to fight it and those who have, failed. Even if we had a mind to send our own to slay it, which we do not, the tribals would be less than pleased if we marched a small army into the grass, to say nothing of other hazards. Even if we or another House sent men, it would profit nothing if it invited raids again. We are men of peace, we prefer trade over war." With a smile Yitchzak then adds "Besides, is this not what demon hunters such as you are for? You come and claim you have slain many terrible beasts, now slay one more and be richly rewarded!"

drat, this guy is a smooth talker like us, and knows just how to flatter us. We do like slaying fell beasts....

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Response to IRC question: According to Yitzchak the Udug has two mouths, one filled with mashing teeth to crunch bones and armor and one with razor sharp teeth arranged in a circle on the end of the arm above the first mouth with which it cuts flesh and drinks blood

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
sick

"Uriah you wanna kill this thing? we might wanna kill it"

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The answer to that question is at the end of the update.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
D'oh I'm illiterate

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

That is okay, so is almost everyone in Ue, those who are not represent something close to a rounding error. Except for Kavodel of course, which is unquestionably the most literate city in the history of the world. No qualifiers needed. You have no reason to imagine that there is ever been any place in the world more literate

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
We've had nothing but good experience with lightning, what could go wrong???????

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

B

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

Maybe this guy has some insight into horse and stone sickness as he straddles Ur and the grasslands and just claimed a valuable horse. Ask him if he knows what causes stone sickness and how to prevent/treat it

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Changing from I to B

Also, T

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Diogines posted:

That is okay, so is almost everyone in Ue, those who are not represent something close to a rounding error. Except for Kavodel of course, which is unquestionably the most literate city in the history of the world. No qualifiers needed. You have no reason to imagine that there is ever been any place in the world more literate

we have SOME reason to imagine; Amalek, Neo-Amalek, proto-Carine, and the Communist Spaceport of Ninhursag all either have lots of writings or straight up have signs and labels that assume the people who need them can read them

but we also have reason to imagine that Kavodel might still be the most literate, maybe the human cattle / day to day population don't need or use the writing

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think we should make everyone in Kavodel literate, like mandatory public school until your kids can read and do basic math (we pay the family a stipend for the lost child labor or whatever). Just to kinda see what happens when you turn a bunch of bronze age farmers into the first place with near-universal literacy.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

related to litteracy:
Does ur have poets? does kavodel?
Does ur have any sort of poetic cannon outside the old tales?
are the old tales ever poetic or rythmic? are any of them sung?
Are there any ancient heroes who are famous poets?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Speaking of Kavodel's literacy, had some questions from chat

Do people own personal copies of the True Tales, to show off with, read them in public? Are there more copies than the originals our slave wrote? Have we had to deal with people editing them, or other traders in other towns making bad copies and then trying to sell them/perform them in Kavodel?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

We've had nothing but good experience with lightning, what could go wrong???????

:hmmyes:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Magnusth posted:

Does ur have poets? does kavodel?
Yes. While it is not a profession for a Blooded man to aspire to in Zepath, skill at poetry is very respected. Kavodel has more poets.

Magnusth posted:

Does ur have any sort of poetic cannon outside the old tales?
Locally or regionally? Yes. The further one goes from home the less likely they are to have heard the ones told locally.

Magnusth posted:

Are the old tales ever poetic or rythmic? are any of them sung?
Some are rhythmic and some are sung, many are simply spoken.

Magnusth posted:

Are there any ancient heroes who are famous poets?
Yes. Including Labaras.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Speaking of Kavodel's literacy, had some questions from chat
Do people own personal copies of the True Tales, to show off with, read them in public?
Not only do they, this has been discussed "on screen". It is very prestigious to own an official copy, you made a little Blooded Bronze seal to go with the book for the original run as well.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Are there more copies than the originals our slave wrote?
Servant. And yes.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Have we had to deal with people editing them, or other traders in other towns making bad copies and then trying to sell them/perform them in Kavodel?
People have sold bad copies and details have been changed.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 16, 2019

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Diogines posted:

People have sold bad copies and details have been changed.

Does an analogue of copyright law exist?

The closest thing I could think of if I were a Mesopotamian craftsman who found out people were selling knockoffs would be bringing a claim to the King for theft?

and possibly slander if they made people think my real stuff was rubbish

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

There are no copyright laws in Ur.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Bob Tuskins posted:

Maybe this guy has some insight into horse and stone sickness as he straddles Ur and the grasslands and just claimed a valuable horse. Ask him if he knows what causes stone sickness and how to prevent/treat it

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Diogines posted:

..if his creditors saw fit to take the horse, and later sold the horse to us, it does not mean we would be cheated and sell a fine beast cheaply. If you wish that most excellent beast, a most excellent price would be required."

Press him for the name(s) of the man or men who sold them the horse.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
T

Killing a big monster would probably be a good idea anyway even if it didn't get us the horse plus later bonus pay, and this sounds like it might be blue-stone size.

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I didn't even think about this thing having a blue stone. Another excellent reason to accept this offer.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We should eat the thing's blue stone, see if it gives us some lightning resistance. We've been owned by lightning before, lightning was the first magic we ever tried to cast, jerkdad has lightning powers that we'll need to defend against if we ever fight him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Didn't Ish say something about avoiding monsters and sticking to the well traveled paths?