Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Voting B, but instead of screaming 'Ashera' or something, mumble out "Sorry Mr. Fishy"

Possibly like any 4 yr old would do after everyone's been crying cause Dads angry, but now things have calmed down slightly and Dads now asking you to apologize to his friend, who is a very important giant fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Theglavwen posted:

1:

A: Father: Don't need to like him, but he seems pretty fanatical, so I assume he's spent a lot of time drilling and training us on the rituals of God.
H: We've been deeply indoctrinated with reverence for the sea and its God, the ocean is our constant companion, in it we are whole.
B: We seem to like Jorah, and seeing as we're somewhat of a pariah, and our father is intimidating, we probably spend time with him as a social role model.
E: Jalitha is around Jorah most of the time, so I guess we must see her when we see Jorah.
F: The shore is pretty close to the sea, and helps when we need to be dry.
D: Mom; we'd probably spend more time around her than Jalitha, but again, Jorah.
C: Who the hell is this Pagem? Cool uncle, but not as cool as Jorah.
G: The forest is not as close to the sea as the shore is.

2:

A. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because you believe in them

This

Purely from an in character perspective, a 6-10 yr old has had close encounters with whales and his trusted role model has told him they're the children of our peoples god = mind blown.

Also, like FoxTerrier mentioned before; I think we'd be at least slightly suspect about Jalitha/Her God, seeing as in our eyes she (and possibly her strange god rituals) caused us to become a social pariah- something that we would have been reminded of everyday. Just saying. Not that we'd want to hang around her in that case, but spending time with Jorah means it happens.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 25, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

FoxTerrier posted:

Tales of Heretic Witchery

Pretty much this. Add into it the fact that we, as a 6-10 year old, have had close encounters with whales, which our trusted male role model has confirmed that yes, they are minor Gods, the children of our peoples God infact. ie; Physical evidence, corroborated by Jorah.

Also the ocean spoke to us that time, as far as we know and our Dad can totally predict the weather, everyone in the village says so. Not to mention any other minor things that may have happened during that time in regards to seashell reading or whatever.

Jalithas evidence consists of adventure bedtime stories, the ability to make us a pariah and an inability for her God to stop her from being beaten.

I think we (should be) fully on Team Asherah here, with a bit of distrust for the woman who tainted us in the eyes of our God, for unknown reasons. And at worst we're still Team Asherah, but paying lip service to these obviously fake Sky Giants to keep her happy.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

On the other hand, why would anyone tell us something that doesn't exist existed?

While, from a metagame view, i'm not saying her obvious ulterior motives are bad ones based on lies, but we, as Og, should be at least suspicious of her, instead of "Oh, we've got no friends now thanks to you, especially during an age of our lives where having friends are quite important, no biggie though"

I'm not getting the whole black and white 'Dad bad/Jalitha good' sentiment either. Sure, Dads a fanatic, and beats us occasionally(?) , but I think its obvious that he was raised the same, rather than him being purely an emotionless religion fueled hate machine - after all he has shown actual capacity to be proud of us. I think we'd be more craving of his love and validation, than flat out hating him. at this stage anyway.

I don't think people are scared/creeped out by him. The only time it was mentioned people were scared (of something) was during the haircut episode, which is perfectly understandable if you think what would happen if, in an ancient village someone (especially a Priest), started crying witch. I think its more of a 'fearful of Asherah's vengance through some fuckup, projected onto his nearest representive'. Hell, for all we know, Jorah might have sanctioned giving her a beating too, but he was just pissed Dad gave her extra faith and now she ain't pretty no more.

As for our name, im hoping we end up with a kickass one, after we come back from whatever that manhood ceremony is.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 25, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Actually Diogines said

Ha, I didn't even see that part, fair enough then.

Maybe they fear him because he's the conduit of a seemingly capricious god, which causes him to act similarly at times? or something.

I just mean it seems a stretch, considering the period we're living in, for them to fear him because of what he did to Jalitha (she probably would have been suspect to everyone anyway, its not like they'll be scared of suddenly getting denounced and beaten as well). It probably would have made them cautious yes, but if anything, also less afraid; "Witchery?, pfft our Priest will deal to that, remember what he did to that slave girl when he caught her doing her pagan rituals?" "Errr, yea" (Drinks fermented fish beer, makes sigh of Asherah).

As for being a cold, distant father who occasionally beats his son when he peforms poorly; That could be a literal cultural thing, common to every family until they prove ourselves as a man through whatever method they have, for all we know at this stage.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 25, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1. No
2. Yes - Maybe not in a "Hey I heard this while you drowned me" way, but a "Hey I was diving underwater to find some Semen of Asherah or whatever and heard this, what could it mean?" way or something.

Other questions for Dad/Diogines;

Are there any tales of witches that we've learnt, what they do, why they do it, what we do to them etc?

For Diogines;

What are people like when they're around our Father?, do they show fear, reverence?, does he have 'friends' at all?
What is the general feeling towards Jalitha by everyone else in the village?

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 25, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Tell Dad everything then, including the circumstances around when we heard it, to the best of our memory. He might think more into it if he thinks its a big deal cause it happened when he was drowning us.......or just lead to more drownings to try clarify the message, either or.

Dad are you the High Priest of all the villages then?, How did Asherah choose our family for this, since it seems to be (ideally) hereditary?

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 26, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Dad/Memory/Diogines; If a dolphin or whale got beached or washed up dead, what then?, what would that mean and has it ever happened?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Dad; Are there any octopus, squid or kraken related Gods or beliefs?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

This isn't a vote so much as a request.

Take the religious lessons more seriously

Thirded; Learn everything we possibly can from our lessons

Dad's not really a bad guy, he's just doing what needs to be done, for his people - lets make him proud of us :unsmith:

Even all the haters should be on board with this, if only so you can spite him slightly more when a vote that involves betraying our people comes up.

(Pro-Dad; possibly because I think i've got some left over Sebek guilt, ha)

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Guys, I really think we should leave this first contact scenario to the people who know the most about, well, everything, namely our Dad and Uncles.

I don't really think it's going to be a good idea if we let one of the first things this more heavily armed, advanced, and probably warlike culture see is one of their own people who has been enslaved and abused by us?

Option E; "Dad, they look like Jalitha"

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

If we bring Jalitha into this situation, it'll only escalate things for the worse; What would a Bronze Age-ish society who found one of their women being pretty much held hostage by savages do?

Plus, shes got no reason not to sell the whole village out, after all shes been a consistently beaten slave for 10+ years. There's not even any guarantee she's still that close with us anymore, since we made the choice to be with Dad pretty much all day every day for the last year, she might have written us off as a lost cause for all we know.

Dads being chill as gently caress, he didn't even get up from his surf-prayers straight away, hes got this.

e: From IRC; <Diog> One of them has their palms out and is trying to talk. The others have their spears leveled and don't look very happy.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 27, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Welp, I feel like an idiot now for my 'Dad will be chill' outlook, ha.

To everyone voting for Lanky Coconut Trees plan;

While it's good, and definitely better than bailing on our people, it has some flaws, namely the fact that the situations rapidly deteriorating into a chaotic melee, the foreign dudes already reaching for us, Jalithas hysterical in that she wants out/for us to come with and the warriors are about to go phalanx on our village. Oh and Dads about to bring the rain storms too.

As much as we'd like to plant our feet and speak up with our big boy voice; We're 11, it's not going to happen, we wont even get to "We'r...." before we get grabbed, probably by the foreign dude, which will cause Dad to go even further off the deep end.

Dad might not be chill, but hes got this

Voting NOT A

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 28, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Trundel posted:

Except for the fact that they came here to trade, not to murder everyone within sight at a moments notice.

I think trading went out the window as soon as they heard from Jalitha that they had stumbled into a literal village of monsters from over the hill, as according to their religions stories. They might not attack us, but they'll definitely be considering a stabbing related way out of this mess they've found themselves in.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 28, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Take a swing at this Demon-King hand with the tooth to get him to back the gently caress off, if he reaches for us. Hopefully cut him so he knows hes marked for vengeance, then;

Run back to the beach with the tooth

Asherah will provide us another teacher, then we will avenge our father!, vote VENGEANCE!!

(Come on guys, why are we turning down the opportunity to eventually have Asherah fueled demon powers?)

e: changed to running to the beach, and added swinging at the king if he tries to grab us

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 28, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Jorahs coming to get us - The outsiders have killed his brother; A priest of Asherah, stolen his son and taken Asherah's tooth, their most holy relic. The great hunger will guide them to us. Pagams going to go Predator on these demons from the North.

Say;

El is the king of the sky giants. He and his giants send lightning to punish evil people and monsters. My Dad shot lightning at you.

:colbert:

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 29, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Theglavwen posted:

part of its charm is the fact that we're bluntly stating our theological understanding. Its honest, it's what the guy asked for.

For what it's worth, even though i'm obviously pro-Asherah, as evidenced by the first part of my post, this is more the intent I was going for. Not trying to get us killed or anything out of spite (really?)

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 29, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

Alright, I feel this is kind of important to note:

Right now, the king doesn't know our dad is the cannibal who is now lying dead on the ground after attempting to kill him with witchcraft.

I really don't think that now is the time to inform him of that fact. Or, possibly, ever. If these people were so angered just by the suggestion of cannibalism, they won't take it well that we're the son of the priest; we'd be at their mercy, while now we have their pity and generousity as a "lost son" of their own people.

Let's not throw that away just yet. :colbert:

I think us showing up with, being near, then grabbing the tooth off him might give the game away slightly. That and it'll probably slip out when we're bawling anyway, maybe. The King seems pretty onto it anyway.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

And I'm sure going up to him and saying "My dad shot lightning at you" :smug: might give the game away a little bit more.

e: That is also a fair point.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 29, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

D

I suppose there's nothing stopping us form getting our ritualistic hair cut, then just growing it again during our rebellious teenage goth Asherah phase. But yea, keep the hair.

In regards to who our real dad is, perhaps Asherah went all Zeus on Jalitha before she washed up at our village. Maybe we'll still have an Asherah connection after all.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 30, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Question for our brain;

Did any of our 'Dads' stories involve Asherah reaching out, either personally or by proxy, to smite 'Demons' or transgressors?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1. Plan OhYo - We are the noblest of mysterious savages, and we've got a rep to maintain

2. A and G - Simply because they're the two that can apparently understand us, and would know the most about stuff, respectively.

3. Freeball it, yo

Our hair may be gone, but the great hunger will remain in our heart.

Also, for everyone that wants to throw Asherah under the bus and kneel down for a big load of El, remember that we as a child decided we believe in both gods. 5 years of belief, reinforced by physical 'evidence' (seeing whales/Dad powers etc) isn't going to just vanish after a day of scare stories and a wise king who knows our language. They'll have to beat it out of us! :v:

Yea it's getting pretty obvious that Asherahs a demon now, but hey, I just think its a more interesting story than 'Heathen savage saved by the king, who smites demons in the name of (insert good god here)' v:shobon:v

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 31, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

"KingDad, I'm hungry".......:unsmigghh:

Seriously though, we must be starving, and what's this nonsense Jalitha's saying about there being better food than seaweed cakes?

Also Ask;

Do people fight each other where we're going?
What's going to happen once we get to the your village?

Ask our brain;

Did Jorah or Pagam tell us any forest related stories?, since we'll possibly be travelling in it for a while.
Are any of the shells on our necklace the same shells that Dad used in any of his rituals?

Get a dog, I'm guessing it'll be some sort of wolfhound related hunting dog, therefore, huge and awesome. Voting to name it Jorah or Pagam, or another name that reminds us where we came from

No to asking that question, no need to put all our cards on the table yet. Besides, this would be another piece of the 'King realising our Dad was that sorcerer' puzzle people seemed to be afraid of a couple votes ago.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 1, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

H - Pray to El and Asherah, as we have always done
+
J - Finally!!, a friend, that's all we ever wanted wasn't it guys?

Bonus vengeance scenario for those who are so inclined; Danal likes stories, right? Well he's not the only one with stories, we've got cool ones too!, ones about whales and poo poo! ("Nah uh, they do to exist, they're the children of Asherah and I totally saw one - they're even bigger than your house! What?, who's Asherah you ask?...."

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Even I think option D is a bit far out there this time. In any case, Danals probably way stronger than he looks if his fathers a favored of El. This would be the choice that would lead us to KingChopping. Although this could arguably end up almost as bad if it gets interpreted the wrong way ie; First night at camp, we steal weapons/and lead the kings son to running away into the unknown cannibal forest (what kid in their right mind wants to go play games in the middle of the night after a long hard day of getting their world turned upside down?)

Although in saying that, going back to sleep is boring, A for Asherah Adventure!, "you play your dad I'll play mine" :v:

Also; Eagerly awaiting the skeletons in Els worship closet that show he isn't quite the paragon of justice and mercy everyone seems to think he is.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 5, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1. C - Wonder, why didn't Pagam tell us the forest was this cool?, it's even got its own noises, like the ocean.

2. D - Speaking of..."C'mon buddy, we're going to go..."

3. J I - "See the ocean!!!"

For clarity; Enkidel wants to take his newest buddy, Danal, to see his oldest buddy, Ocean and show him how awesome it is. Enkidel is doing this in a display of 'I want to impress my new friend so he thinks I'm cool' and to get his big brother cred up. Besides, we can't be that far away and if we run, we'll be back way before anyone wakes up.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 6, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Vote change on 3. to I

Yea, I don't want this to get turned into generic adventures by people afraid of a game over lest they make a single bad choice. C'mon guys, Asherah has the potential to be a way more interesting than following 'Good God No. 381 (not-Jehovah)'. We shouldn't let the lack of plot armour hold us back, hell, in the last CYOA, despite Diogines (Sebeks) warnings we did almost everything wrong, got a premature game over, but still got a kickass story.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 6, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

Asherah doesn't care about us, as long as we do what he says. He doesn't bless us, and doesn't care if we die or not as long as we don't defy him. He's not going to be our ally, and the only way he's going to do anything of interest is if we antagonize him into doing so.

He cares enough to give his faithful powers to use on those who threaten our way of life/his status quo. Which will be coming about more often, as any self respecting king wouldn't leave a village of alleged cannibals to run loose, or when the heavens clash and Asherah realises needs some foot soldiers in the mortal world too, whichever comes first.

Besides, 'Dad' said himself that Asherah would provide a replacement if someone essential to the priesthood chain dies, so for all we know there could be some long lost superuncle waiting for us. They don't care about progeny either I don't think, sounds like its right guy for the job - which slightly leads onto the fact that they probably wouldn't kill and eat us, if anything they'd kill and eat Danal, which would at least garner some interest from our FishDemonGod, due to the fact sacrificing a descendant of Labaras/A Favoured of El would be pretty unprecedented

Or exterminated by a wrathful, grieving king, either or.

I don't actually want to get Danal killed and eaten btw, I just want to show him the ocean....then in the future gradually convert him to Asherah; whether that involves going back to our village or the city, I'm easy - It's a fitting type of vengeance I think.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 6, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Voting Plan JR

However, pray for guidance, or something else along those lines, since it's been established that Asherah isn't big on 'helping' his worshipers.

Or I suppose, depending on how he's feeling, his 'help' might take the form of wild animals being attracted by our blood and chasing us in the direction he wants us to go, or something.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 8, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Task Manager posted:

I can understand the Not R vote if you're not on-board with the fish god, but at least let the J votes go through unmolested. Quit oppressing our religious freedom!

Any attempts to pursue Asherah related courses of action will be subject to filibuster by the El Party

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

J - El didn't give us a reply, so time to try the other god we worship. If possibe, include cutting ourself, since we know that that's part of getting his attention through prayer.

No not votes, unless Diogines mandated.

Maybe be allowed to vote down ideas but not specific A, B etc choices?, I don't know, it shouldn't matter anyway should it? The most popular vote should still win, as opposed to people concentrating just on trying to make certain votes lose.

e: forest creatures usually quiet down when people are close by don't they?

ee: Vote changed to R, the cutting with the tooth is what I was after.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 9, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

In saying that ^^^^

Changing vote to R. For some reason I passed right over it, that's what I meant by praying to Asherah.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1. G - We've probably got to draw the line somewhere, as anyone would do with a young kid wanting insessant shoulder rides. Also, depending on how spoilt Danal is back home, I'm seeing a possible "Enkidel, you will do as I say - remember when you carried me?, that is your true place, savage" scenario in the future, for some reason.

Plus I still want to cultivate the image of a noble, mysterious savage, as best we can. Which would be hilarious to try pull off while our mums fawning over us.

2. A - Is for Adventure!

3. G - Why does your skin look like that?, are you sick?

Our first real life many-old person!!(from my understanding, that isn't about to soon be eaten in any case), plus possible font of question awnsering knowledge.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 10, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Eh, too complicated.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 10, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Paradise Lost CYOA: The Parliamentary Elections Simulator

Ha; Voting Yes We Can

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Why are you so old?

Have you seen any other villages like mine?

Are there any people like me in the city?

What did my dad do to the king?

I know the last ones a bit controversial, the whole them finding out who our Dad was. But it's going to get found out sooner or later and who best to let it slip to than what looks like the (hopefully) wise old advisor to the king, who would probably have the most level-headed reaction out of everyone?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Ug the Hungry, legendary high priest who philosophised how delicious children really were, after seeing one fall overboard and attract sharks. This radical discovery not only led to more efficient forms of shark fishing, but also opened up previously undiscovered conduits of worship to his god, Praise be to Asherah!

e: Ask Jalitha; Why do they eat whales, don't they know what they are!?

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 12, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

E and M

Finally!, our chance to be a hero!! - We can shoot some lightning just like Dad and the heroes in our stories do!!!

Cut our hand and try to shoot lightning at the beast. Basically do everything what we saw Dad do.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 12, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

You are eaten by a lizard. As you see it chew on your mother and Danal, faint words come to you...

Oh that's right, every Asherah related option can only result in instadeath, my bad.

We saw our Dad do it, so to us it can't seem that hard right?, just do everything he did.

Besides, the fights probably going to be over by the time we grab a spear, these guys are dragonslayers after all. It's obvious they don't take us seriously, we'll just get laughed at by Barkof and co again for trying to be a hero.

e: Seriously though, we should do something major, for better or worse, to distinguish ourselves. Otherwise we'll end up in some lovely fishermans hut getting mad at poor Jalitha beacuse "I'm not a fisherman mum!, I'm a hero!!!"

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 12, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

It's possible, but i'm inclined to think they've probably all convinced themselves we're just an ignorant savage, like most people are wont to do when they meet an obviously less advanced culture. Especially with Barkof and his "This. is. fire, fire good bullshit", and our incessant questions.

Plus with the fact it sounds like they're going to pawn us off to a fisherman, there's no real indication the king thinks his quest is any more than 'save the woman and child from cannibals, are they safe in my city?, do they worship El? Sweet, next king quest'

....unless we show him we've got something that proves we're not just a dumb kid who thinks he's a hero.....lightning should do the trick?, plus we could always blame El for it :v:

e: admittedly, turning the other cheek would be pretty badass if it worked.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

dog kisser posted:

HSS

Declare the beast a sacrifice to Asherah!

In times of pants making GBS threads fear, people generally fall back on what's been drilled into them. What's that for us?, oh that's right, almost half our life as a priest in training to Asherah. Although I want plan dogkisser, since S seems to be winning, I'll use my votes to power it

Voting Triple H

"Asherah!!; these ravenous beasts know not true hunger!!!, they are but pretenders cast from the deep....grant me to deliver them back to you as glorious sacrifice"

If there's one thing we know Asherah wants, it's sacrifices, the bigger the better probably.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 14, 2013