Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

KlavoHunter posted:

Hold the gate.

This, also, B. Maybe this time we can be a force of good and not enslave people and pour molten gold onto children and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Changing my vote from B to A then. The dawn of time sounds cool.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

FoxTerrier posted:

Honestly, that was kind of why I was hoping for a woman. We had a very male heavy game last time, and the other GBS CYOA is also based around a male lead (Mark Marxist, hee! I love that guy). Change of pace is nice!

I'm really not sure what you're worried about in regards to setting though. There's Biblical and literary precedent for active women––even moreso if you delve into the Apocrypha and folklore––so there's loads of material for Diog to work with. If anything, I think the game would be more interesting if he pulls some of this stuff for reference, since it isn't trotted out as often.

Since the world is in Diog's hands, it's also worth noting we could just as easily end up in a matriarchal culture as a patriarchal one. Even if we do roll patriarchy, Diog will doubtless provide us with ways to work around things.

This:

You wake up in a tent in a patriarchial society. This sucks, because you have a vagina. Do you:

A: Fetch Water
B: Sweep the Dust
C: Flee from Spider
D: Swoon

Please note that your choice will not effect the adventure, as you cannot have one. Because of the vagina.

^^^This ain't gunna happen. Trust in Diog.

Anyways, I'm am 100% sure Diog is going to give us an amazing ride regardless of sex, gender, or anything else. It's really just a minor 'Ooo, I hope this happens!'. Besides, for all we know he's planning on having us play out the story as a cat and this is an entirely moot point! :shrug:

Fingers crossed we get back to GBS as well, as much as I love this sub-forum!

I totally agree, and also, who cares if there's historical precedent? It's a fantasy world of Diogenes' creation, one of the best things about the fantasy genre is that it's more fun than what happened/happens in reality. I'd love to see some strong women characters.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
D, I like fishes.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
B, "Jalitha" is a long word and I don't trust our dumb 4-year-old lips to say it. "Papa! Hurt!" will be sure to get a fast response.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Negative voting for C, Dad is a woman-beating douche who's never shown his own son any affection, and Jalitha is a kind and caring mother figure.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Theglavwen posted:

I don't know that I see how this translates into us refusing to cut her hair, as a four year old, while everyone around including Jalitha seems to be demanding or expecting it of us.

It seems to me that he's cutting Jalitha's hair to punish her for cutting our hair.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

1. Abstain, because I simply can't decide :saddowns:

2. L. I'm hoping this doesn't screw us over in the long run if the gods are in a free for all war or El and Asherah don't get along.

Is it possible to ask Jalitha next chance we get what El and co. think of Asherah?

1:
B. Uncle Jorah
C. Uncle Pagam
E. Jalitha
D. Mom
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest
A. Father

2: L

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Flame112 posted:

I vote we replace Jalitha time with Dad time. Not Jorah or ocean time though.

Even though dad's a violent coward that beats people a lot, I vote this. We need to learn our poo poo so we can protect our people.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to change my vote to not-A or H or whatever has us going with the strangers.

There no reason to go with these guys after they killed our dad. Sure our dad beat us and Jalitha, but so what? Think about the society we live in. Corporal punishment for children was just a given everywhere until the tail end of the 20th century. It still is probably the norm today in most of the world. It wasn't until the end of the 19th century that wife-beating started to become frowned upon in the Western world. Clearly no kid likes to be beaten, but it's unlikely we'd see it as some sort of horrible thing to be done to us given the environment we live in. The fact that our dad is the only one to beat anyone in our tribe is an indication that we're shockingly peaceful considering our society's level of development.

The thing is, the violence isn't the norm here. It's been stated that other people don't beat their kids and wives, it's only our dad. So that would be a pretty big red flag, even in the brain of an 11 year old.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

FoxTerrier posted:

It was said earlier that brides come from neighboring villages to avoid the kind of inbreeding you're talking about.

As far as Jalitha goes, she cut our hair despite knowing this would enrage our father towards us. A loving mother protects her child from abuse, they don't paint a goddamn target on their forehead. And now she's happily pouring gasoline on a tense situation instead of diffusing, causing pointless bloodshed on both sides. Yeah, her life has sucked and she has reason to be pissed, but goddamn.

Anyways, our people may not have been warm and fuzzy towards us...but they're still our tribe and all we've ever known. And we're not even going to lift a finger to try and help or get back to them? Especially after a major trauma like this? We're going to abandon them for the person whose yelling just helped trigger our father's death? Really?

:psyduck: on people talking Jalitha's word on the cannibalisim thing as gospel too, when she has no way of knowing what happens at our manhood ceremony and has only a childish understanding of her own theology (let alone ours).

This is a woman that was enslaved, raped and then watched her child be beaten by her rapist. She tried to do something special for her child that meant something spiritual to her, and got beaten almost to death for it. I don't think she's the one that should be blamed in that situation. Maybe the, you know, violent rapey douchebag should get some blame? It doesn't even matter that our Father is dead at this point, they'll just send another poo poo head priest from another village. We need to get out of here and away from the insanity.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Random Idiot posted:

If you actually take the time to look, you notice there were only beatings when the issue at hand was offending fishgod and bringing his wrath on the entire village. Everything we know about fishgod says he has little to no problem smiting infidels, and a smack in the head is probably less egregious to the high priest than watching his village starve at best or get leveled by the full wrath of fishgod at worst.

Lots of people bringing in their modern day real world morality to a situation where it really has no place.

Even putting aside the discussion of basic human morality, the rest of the village seemed to get along with each other without having to do terrible things, so it's not just "real-world" or "modern-day" morality. Even if the violence and rape are something mandated by the fish god, that would be something that would be good to get away from.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1, I'm glad we got out of Cannibaland. We need to swear vengeance on Asherah, he's the one that is basically holding people hostage and making them into cannibals. We need to get some kit that's blessed by El and go turn Asherah into sushi.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1A Tudiya named us a child, so they're not expecting us to act like an adult.

2AB

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I vote 1, ask for some clothes. It'd be nice to fit in for once.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Jalitha said that Ashera is not a god. What is Ashera?

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Voting to name the dog Beaky and yes to asking that question.

Changed my vote for dog name to Jorah.

Mexican Deathgasm fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 1, 2013

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Ahhhhh, I love naming our beloved dog Beaky so much, but Jorah is probably better.

Changing my vote from Beaky to Jorah.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Genpei Turtle posted:

Sure it's a bad thing. To us, 21st century modern people. To Og/Enkidel? If his society was cannibalistic that taboo surely wasn't as ingrained into him as it would be to us. His mom was surely against it but for the great majority of Og's life she was just some nice lady that lived with his uncle. Same thing goes with his dad beating him for disobedience--that's a bad thing to us, (well, bad but not shocking to me since when I was a kid it was something pretty much all parents did) but to him it would just be a "normal" thing for a village elder to do since he doesn't have any outside reference to indicate otherwise.

I think people voting to just change cultures like we'd change our socks are undervaluing the impact of Og's upbringing up until this point. Our whole life we've known nothing but the sea and Asherah and life in a primitive fishing village. Jalitha and her culture was definitely a wildcard, but given her limited contact with us during 90% of our "aware" life its impact would be minimal. Unless Og's extremely unlike the majority of kids ever, regardless of how he was treated he probably loved the people he thought were his parents more than Jalitha--they were the ones that raised him, not her. The sudden revelation that she's in fact his Real Mom wouldn't be cause for him to go "oh, OK, well gently caress my 'fake' parents/culture/life then." Hell, kids that are outright abused and not fed and have to be taken away by CPS are often distraught at having to be separated from their parents even though it's the best thing for them.

Based on what we know about the game in a larger-picture point of view it may well be smarter to go side with El since he's probably more powerful than Asherah, (then again, who knows what the real story is?) but it's a lot less realistic as something that you'd imagine what a kid in Og's shoes would do. It's a much more metagamey decision than something that actually makes sense.

One thing people keep missing is that being beaten was not a normal thing in our village. Our fake father was the only violent person, and we were the only kid that was beaten, and Jalitha was the only woman that was beaten. That would have been pretty terrible, to not only be ostracized by other children, but to have the poo poo beaten out of you and then find out your abuser wasn't even your real father. And then you find out that the only woman who was consistently kind to you (who was also the only woman your shithead father beat) is actually your real mother.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

SerSpook posted:

If we go into the forest, we must pray to El, I agree.

I would like to add praying to El to my vote.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1. C
2. A
3. C

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
M and N

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I vote O, and to keep "NOT" voting.

I dunno, I think the game is going fine. My votes don't always win, but I'm enjoying the story anyway. I don't know why people are getting so whiny about an interactive story on the Internet.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1 D
2 B
3 E

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Tsyni posted:

Ok, I have a better idea. Let's turn the other cheek on this majestic beast.

D - There's no time to dilly dally!
M - Grab some meat from the fire and rush to the beast before Tudiya and his men can get there. Without making eye contact offer the great lizard some delicious venison.

A giant lizard is cooler than a dog. Let's make a new friend.

(Changing my vote to this, if it wasn't clear)

This is a cool idea, I vote for this.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

PandaPropaganda posted:

Voting for A and also to D. tell Ishamal we're sorry, we just wanted to help.

Voting for this.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Right in his stupid face.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Ow, my symbolism hurts!

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
B and A

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A Take everything, grab Danal, get the hell out of there. This place seems dangerous as it's lulling us to sleep. Loot the place and run.
E At best, we get to keep the things we found and they're magical treasure that will help us be a great hero. At worst, they take them from us, the items are cursed and kill us and everyone else.