Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's always been my own little headcanon that Rusty hallucinated most of his worldly travels and was just basically raving for months before doc brought him home.

Also, this is so loving good I can't believe you only talked about it instead of posting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0iTfasIpLc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I take umbrage with the notion that Doc was motivated by anything other than a desire to extend the time he got to goof off without the boys.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's always been my own little headcanon that Rusty hallucinated most of his worldly travels and was just basically raving for months before doc brought him home.

Also, this is so loving good I can't believe you only talked about it instead of posting it.

I'd completely forgotten the "three gloves" colouring error in that scene. Still loving fantastic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Nice! posted:

Honestly, because I'd rather we all put in the effort to describe it the way it deserves to be described, rather than just sitting in silent regard of the video. It feels like a worthier form of appreciation that way :buddy:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I went to the zoo yesterday and they had a butterfly exhibit. The lady at the start of it said to keep an eye for the Blue Morpho, and that there were no monarchs in the exhibit.

Nobody got it when I said "Well yeah. The Blue Morpho is the Monarch."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Data Graham posted:

Honestly, because I'd rather we all put in the effort to describe it the way it deserves to be described, rather than just sitting in silent regard of the video. It feels like a worthier form of appreciation that way :buddy:

I can appreciate that. I enjoyed how they started the commentary season 2 on the dvd with the voicemail from the cartoon network execs telling them there was no budget for everybody's free so they need to go with the alternative, and then they talk for a minute about how they basically had to sacrifice the budget for most of the season to pay for it because they already had all the animation and such done for it with no way to actually change the scene.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Master Twig posted:

I went to the zoo yesterday and they had a butterfly exhibit. The lady at the start of it said to keep an eye for the Blue Morpho, and that there were no monarchs in the exhibit.

Nobody got it when I said "Well yeah. The Blue Morpho is the Monarch."

Should have asked if they had any Viceroys

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

RandallODim posted:

I take umbrage with the notion that Doc was motivated by anything other than a desire to extend the time he got to goof off without the boys.

Yeah, I never read that any other way. Purely selfish motives.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

tarlibone posted:

I still remember the first time I watched that scene. Hilarious dialog, then Monarch calls, complaining about how his cocoon is blown up and sideways (even though he told them to do it), and he ends up falling into a door... which opens up after a beat, causing him to fall further. Then the mouthed sound effects as 21 gets his outfit out while pretending that his closet is a suit vault from a Batman movie. But the part that floored me was when he suddenly started singing along to what was until then just build-up background music. Then 24 drives up, singing the lower brass part... too funny.

I always assumed he was making sure they didn't blow up the cocoon.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mraagvpeine posted:

I always assumed he was making sure they didn't blow up the cocoon.

it was on the checklist

you can't yell at them for following the checklist

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Yeah, I never read that any other way. Purely selfish motives.

It's totally supposed to seem like it's uncharacteristic grief your first time seeing it, but after the clone reveal I really don't think there's any way to read it as grieving.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

I prefer the idea that he doesn't violate them, he's just weirdly obsessive, which makes it slightly less terrible. It still makes everyone who "knows" that he's molesting his wonder boys awful.

Probably he's doing it all because of whatever messed him up when he was Wonder Boy.
The entire joke is that it plays on how everybody thinks Batman and Robin were gay, and the reveal is that no, when people talk about Wonderboy in that way, the real meaning of it is that he keeps getting Wonderboys killed.

The pedophilia isn't the reveal. It's the setup. The lack of pedophilia is the reveal.

feedmyleg posted:

No. The joke was that Captain Sunshine is a ridiculously innocent/naive guy who can't see how creepy he's coming off. He's Adam West's Batman living in a modern, post-Jason Todd world. "Another one?" referred to another sidekick to potentially get murdered. He's a nonsexual character from a more innocent time where having a young male ward was possible, contrasted with a cynical world that assumes the worst. It's the audience who are the monsters.

It's Doc and Jackson actually commenting on their own overuse of pedo jokes.
This right here. It's this.

Data Graham posted:

And then the very next episode you get the Henchmen suiting back up singing Mars by Holst. If there's any single thing I love more than the "Everybody's Free" montage, it's that loving scene.

The one-two punch that began S2, holy hell, TV's never been better
That was the first episode I ever saw and I was loving hooked.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

tarlibone posted:

I still remember the first time I watched that scene. Hilarious dialog, then Monarch calls, complaining about how his cocoon is blown up and sideways (even though he told them to do it), and he ends up falling into a door... which opens up after a beat, causing him to fall further. Then the mouthed sound effects as 21 gets his outfit out while pretending that his closet is a suit vault from a Batman movie. But the part that floored me was when he suddenly started singing along to what was until then just build-up background music. Then 24 drives up, singing the lower brass part... too funny.

(Jupiter from Planets makes an appearance at the end of the episode, too.)

The face 21 makes as Monarch is laying out his orders is so good

:prepop:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RandallODim posted:

it was on the checklist

you can't yell at them for following the checklist

Or kill them for following the checklist.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have convinced at least the purple to give the show a try with the Mars, Bringer of War scene. It's the best.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Or kill them for following the checklist.

Beat me to it.

On the DVD, the scene is extended, with Monarch commenting on how they suddenly became the best, most loyal, and most able henchmen ever once he went inside. Because of course they can follow his orders... when they're batshit insane.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That clip has so many good bits. When the Monarch loses his balance and falls through the double doors due to the angle still makes me smile.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RandallODim posted:

The possession episode implies that Rusty has a shitton of repressed guilt for all the tines the boys have died. The guy has no idea how to deal with his emotions, see how Spanikopita is his retreat.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The possession episode implies that Rusty has a shitton of repressed guilt for all the tines the boys have died. The guy has no idea how to deal with his emotions, see how Spanikopita is his retreat.

Spanikopita !!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pope Guilty posted:

Spanikopita !!

Everytime I play a game that has free running in it I think "Pee Wee, use your parkour".

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

New interview with Publick!

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 27, 2018

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yes yes yes yes

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh please have an episode that is nothing but dune references.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Is this a page from the book? Holy poo poo it's going to be at least 366 pages? :neckbeard:

Edit: oh I should have clicked the article haha

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
holy poo poo, the book is actually coming out.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Oh my god I just got, right now, looking through those sketches

That monarchs eyebrows/goatee are supposed to be antennae and a proboscis

poo poo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, so they're doing an episode outside of NYC?

Wonder how they're going to use the X-1 from the middle of a city.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SlothfulCobra posted:

wasn't that what they were flying when they blew out wide wale's windows?

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the X-1 can do VTOL, although I don't have anything to back it up.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Naylenas posted:

It did it in the Dr Quymn ep ottomh

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When are they going to release an X-1 model kit with incredibly toxic glue, damnit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Man I agree with Jackson on both counts with the super hero movie thing. And well pretty much everything posted in the article now. Thanks for sharing!

Man I cannot wait for the coming season.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sockser posted:

Oh my god I just got, right now, looking through those sketches

That monarchs eyebrows/goatee are supposed to be antennae and a proboscis

poo poo

gently caress

This show.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Naylenas posted:

it does vtol all the time and rusty is the exact kind of rear end in a top hat to annoy his neighbors by landing a supersonic jet on the roof of his downtown tower

also it may be the x-x-1, the copy that jonas jr. built which is superior in every way

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 27, 2018

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thanks for this, just got to it.
Man I agree so much with him. I'm 36, and I can't imagine going online to tell people how much I meh'd at something. Or if I didn't like it, gently caress it, I'll just ignore any discussion about it. I don't get the need to go nuts on something you dislike. poo poo I love (this thread duh), makes sense to go on about. But if I lose interest, I'm just going to unbookmark this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah, I remember going online to try and find things/people who like a cool thing and celebrating it. I feel a little sad now :(.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So, uh, do you guys just not click on other threads on SA, or even TV IV in particular?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mantis42 posted:

So, uh, do you guys just not click on other threads on SA, or even TV IV in particular?

there are many of us, the control panel residents

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I assumed everyone pretty much only use the control panel to navigate SA. It's what the bookmark is in my browser.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RandallODim posted:

there are many of us, the control panel residents

You won’t find our pictures on dollars or on cents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I pretty much live out of my control panel. I only venture into the actual forums if I want to find a thread for a new show or game.