Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Watch and Ward are more semi-competent bureaucrats than minions. It's a subtle but important distinction.

They're basically middle management minions. An important role in a sprawling evil society who don't necessarily do the grunt work but tell the grunts to do the grunt work, and keep track of what's going on more or less when someone calls up wondering what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I know Jackson said that they killed 24 because his voice was hard to do, but when he said that at the convention, it came off as half-joking to me.

I think there were plot, story, and creative motivations that drove 24's demise much harder than any practical concerns over getting the voice right. And that's assuming that they weren't completely joking about killing him off because of his voice, which is a pretty big assumption. I don't think this reason was given in the book, but I might be misremembering. I'm pretty sure they said in the book that they killed him for different reasons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Watch and Ward specifically are doc and jackson doing megatron impressions.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
24's bastard son will show up from the background in the last episode and after a few weird old school conversation callbacks will naturally be blown up.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
wasn't there an episode where Watch and Ward went HAM on something or other? or am I just making that up?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Deathlove posted:

wasn't there an episode where Watch and Ward went HAM on something or other? or am I just making that up?

I feel like they may have killed a goon somewhere for some reason or other, but bugger if I can remember where. The only thing coming to mind is what they did during All This and Gargantua-2.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
In the season 3 and 4 commentary tracks they talk about why they killed 24 a few times, "his voice was hard to do" wasn't really the impetus.

Also 21 and the Monarch have hard voices to do too and they're still alive.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

In the season 3 and 4 commentary tracks they talk about why they killed 24 a few times, "his voice was hard to do" wasn't really the impetus.

Also 21 and the Monarch have hard voices to do too and they're still alive.

I really wish they’d add the commentary tracks to Hulu, I don’t own stuff on disc anymore but I’d love to listen to them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I really wish they’d add the commentary tracks to Hulu, I don’t own stuff on disc anymore but I’d love to listen to them.

I would absolutely be willing to pay some more to get commentary tracks for shows like this. I just don't have physical media any more.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Same, it’s the same way I feel whenever someone like Edgar Wright or Tarantino do a commentary track - I lose out because I just haven’t bought physical media in I literally don’t know how long.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Doing a rewatch, 21 trying to sing “Don’t You Want Me” by Human League in a hilariously inaccurate [and coincidentally non-infringing] manner will never get old.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This might be hard for some of you but... looks like Dean is getting CANCELLED

https://twitter.com/midnaash/status/1218143937371627520?s=21

https://twitter.com/midnaash/status/1217939529916547073?s=21

https://twitter.com/midnaash/status/1216838417511677953?s=21

This last tweet was from a few days ago and since then she’s come out about it with support from her friends

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well gently caress, this is a sad sour note for the show to go out on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it all seems nonspecific enough that unless additional damaging details emerge I can't see it affecting anything. I didn't follow the Vic Mignogna drama but those were multiple specific and pervasive accusations and the dude still works.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I just hope the allegations are focused on the actions of one person and they can just write in some sort of change of Deans voice.

Insert touching yourself enough joke here I guess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As good of dudes as Doc and Jackson seem based on their panels/commentary/etc, they also seem to drag their feet when it comes to being truly progressive in the show. I wouldn't bet on a firing and rewriting based on those tweets, especially since it will all likely blow over by the time the next VB season comes around, regardless of the veracity or severity of the actual events. Especially since Hank/Dean drama seems like it's going to be the focus of next season.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well gently caress, this is a sad sour note for the show to go out on.

IIRC Dean being a total scumbag was the actual note the show was left on

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just hope the allegations are focused on the actions of one person and they can just write in some sort of change of Deans voice.

Insert touching yourself enough joke here I guess.

There is a spare Venture half-Brother, though, if the needs arises...

Although that turns the pair into another Doc and Publick duo, and they may well be sick of that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

IIRC Dean being a total scumbag was the actual note the show was left on

Would be nice though if we saw what was going on with that. Maybe just being paranoid but the show is getting on and I am certain one thing is enough to push it over the edge, even if it is a VA being a creeper.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

feedmyleg posted:

As good of dudes as Doc and Jackson seem based on their panels/commentary/etc, they also seem to drag their feet when it comes to being truly progressive in the show. I wouldn't bet on a firing and rewriting based on those tweets, especially since it will all likely blow over by the time the next VB season comes around, regardless of the veracity or severity of the actual events. Especially since Hank/Dean drama seems like it's going to be the focus of next season.

Yeah, I do not see anyone getting fired based solely on those tweets. They are not very specific beyond "he doesn't respect boundaries". Some people can read between the lines and come away with "rapist/abuser/harasser" but other people--and I would feel comfortable putting the creators of a male gaze-y, trans panic-y, edgy humor show in this group--will only hear "boys being boys, jilted lover".

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That sounds pretty dire. GIven the way angry nerds tend to treat women on the internet, talking about it on Twitter at all is very risky, and making statements that could be construed as libelous (such as making specific accusations of criminal behavior) escalates the potential danger. I say this to point out that she was undoubtedly aware of the risk she was taking by calling out his bad behavior publicly. Most people in that position would be inclined to water down any accusations they made, not overinflate them.

Maybe they'll just silently replace Dean and pretend like nothing happened. You know, like Darren on Bewitched!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lets not do any cancelling-by-proxy outside of the accused til we actually get some responses. (THEN you can go nuts as appropriate)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’s pretty clean that Dean isn’t gonna say anything. This woman is a fairly popular Cosplayer but she was reticent to say anything directly until her friends convinced her after probably 3 days of talking to her about it and she only moved forward in order to get word out so it doesn’t happen to further people.

She has access to many cast and crew members and has met Jackson and Doc many times at Cons etc. but there isn’t really any other avenue besides Twitter for this, so unless AV Club, Kotaku, or Polygon pick up this story it’s probably the end of the discussion. This dude isn’t going to torpedo his own career just to come clean and apologize for being pushy and weird.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I really wish they'd do some shorts set pre-S3 finale of 21 and 24. Killing 24 was a great idea and it did a lot for 21's character, but I had the episode where they infiltrated Spider Skull Island on before and I really miss that whole dynamic.

Plus, you know, something to make the giant wait between seasons more bearable. Man I need some more of this show.

24 and 21 are fantastic and while i still love the show it's lesser without him. Then again I prefer the early seasons of pretty much everything

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Jesus, just put your dicks away at work, slimy fucks of the entertainment industry. Ay yi yi.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Randallteal posted:

Jesus, just put your dicks away at work, slimy fucks of the entertainment industry. Ay yi yi.

I'm pretty sure this was outside of work, considering she's a cosplayer, not part of the show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There are plenty of people who can do Hamill's Joker almost as good as Hamill. Pretty sure if this turns out to be worse than we're expecting - and let's face it, nowadays it always seems to be worse than we're expecting - they can probably find someone who can do Dean's voice with almost 100% accuracy.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah the fact it happened outside of work is probably gonna make it harder for him get the boot. Like even doing bad poo poo at work is unfortunately not a guarantee of getting fired but it generally makes it more likely than if the equivalent level of poo poo happened exclusively off the job

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Thankfully it wasn't Doc, Jackson, Warburton, or Urbaniak. Or even Dana Synder.

Those would hurt.

Dean? Meh.

(Obviously, feel really bad for this lady, tho)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You could have Dean get his throat hurt in the first 2 minutes and hes now mute, rusty makes him a robot voice.

You could also kill him off, the show can work without him at this point just rush the Malcolm Rusty thing if the name has to make sense, but really if the show involved no one named venture I'd still watch it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm sure there's plenty of people they could find to replace him as Dean who would sound almost identical

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
whoah, that's a lot of new posts in the VB thread, did they announce the next season or.....

oh

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Now I wouldn't be too dismayed if season 8 kept Dean's voice (especially if season 8 comes out "soon" by VB standards) cause I could buy the season's voice acting already done with before this (and I can see this unfortunately taking a while before it starts to make big waves); kinda like how OK KO not recasting Kirbopher isn't that big a deal considering that show's final episodes were already fully voice acted before he admitted to all he did

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

You could have Dean get his throat hurt in the first 2 minutes and hes now mute, rusty makes him a robot voice.

You could also kill him off, the show can work without him at this point just rush the Malcolm Rusty thing if the name has to make sense, but really if the show involved no one named venture I'd still watch it.

I’m all for anything that leads to more Malcom and Rusty.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

uber_stoat posted:

whoah, that's a lot of new posts in the VB thread, did they announce the next season or.....

oh

:same:

Shows been running so long, I'm kinda surprised someone involved hasn't been outed before. Although that applies to Adult Swim in general, really.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Is this supposed to be like a full on sex pest thing or an aziz ansari lovely date awkward going into uncomfortable thing?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TK-42-1 posted:

Is this supposed to be like a full on sex pest thing or an aziz ansari lovely date awkward going into uncomfortable thing?

my most optimistic assumption is somewhere in the middle, and I could buy it being worse than that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sketchfest panel gonna be super awkward this Sunday...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

my most optimistic assumption is somewhere in the middle, and I could buy it being worse than that

Same. Sadly. Sinternkaals has been a figure in recording and VA work for a while which is why he’s part of the crew. If he’s a lovely person that just sucks all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
just wait til he burns a cross on her lawn