Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If Sony can keep on producing things like Into the Spider-Verse then I am quite happy for them to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

That feels like a weird take on the art style. To me it feels far more like Dexter's Lab or Powerpuff Girls, both of which are aimed at at least tweens if not all-ages, and are things that 30somethings would have grown up with.
Interesting examples since PPG also had a digital remake that mostly was not liked by fans of the original show.

e: I did enjoy the TTG parody in Young Justice though

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The original Dexter and PPG were lovingly sculpted works of art and the remakes were very mega Garbo IMO. The difference between them and between the art styles of TT and TTG is a good analogy.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

TTG is made cheaply and doesn’t take itself seriously at all. It’s just fun especially if you have kids and has consistently solid jokes. It’s not trying to be anything more than that. which I appreciate since a lot of shows have to have some overarching theme or morality or whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know much about TTG but they did this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR131fc2pZY

So, you know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Teen Titans Go is kinda weird. I've heard it described as Always Sunny for kids, and that's not far off the mark.

Main issue is that there's eighty zillion episodes and they're almost all that CN seems to air these days, as bad as Spongebob.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve seen 10-15 hours of TTG and every episode of IASIP like 30 times and I just don’t see it. Because they are a group? Because they do capers?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Data Graham posted:

I don't know much about TTG but they did this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR131fc2pZY

So, you know.

That is the sort of video Rusty Venture would publicly trash as derivative and aping 'the Progressive Rock oeuvre' but would secretly love.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know why I thought of this but people refusing to wear masks because they think it's a measure meant to protect THEM rather than OTHER PEOPLE reminded me of Doc Venture being all like "Condoms? Pfft, I don't need gadgets to please a lady."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
And that made me think of a line in "Midlife Chrysalis," when Doc also told Brock that he had to go to the store because he was "all out of condom."

Hew as out of condom. Singular. I love this show's occasional forays into bad grammar.

That is ICED CREAM!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I say iced cream all the time, I love it.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Just one bacon, Dean

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Are these they?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

DoctorWhat posted:

Are these they?

Nobody talks like that.

(I mutter that line to myself on the regular)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I say iced cream all the time, I love it.

I love both the iced cream and calling it iced cream. I've extrapolated it to lots of things.

• hammed burger
  • rooted beer
  • appled pie
  • peppered mint
  • iced tea

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A Hotted Dog!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
A cheesed steak sandwich!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

A Hotted Dog!

Yep. Or a Hotted Link. Or like tonight, Bratted Wurst.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A cheesed steak sandwich!

My wife actually shot me daggers when I was calling them "Cheesed, Steaked, and Sanded Wiches." That was too much. But cheesed, steaked sandwich? Fine.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I dunno I always attribute “iced cream” primarily to Mr. Burns.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Bust Rodd posted:

A Hotted Dog!

HOT DOLPHIN!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

HOT SANDWICH! YOU'VE MURDERED THE VENTURE BOY!!

(I also use "Hot Sandwich!" as an expletive when I remember that it is the perfect expletive.)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i gently caress it theez feesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfoIdZ1osBc&t=3s

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

I love both the iced cream and calling it iced cream. I've extrapolated it to lots of things.

• hammed burger
  • rooted beer
  • appled pie
  • peppered mint
  • iced tea

My wife and I do the same thing, except as others have noted, we got it from Mr. Burns.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Iced tea only works if you pronounce it "Ice-ed Tea," like learn-ed.

I mean, I suppose you could also call it *glaciated* tea. >.>

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I included it as a joke, seeing as how most people say "ice tea" but it really is "iced tea."

I enunciate the "d", so while I don't go all Shakespeare and say "ice-ed tea," I do say "iceD tea" when I'm invoking this brilliant trope.

What's really weird is that I'm a huge Simpsons fan. (Is there a thread for that?) But, while Burns has done the whole "iced cream" thing, for some reason, it wasn't until I heard Dragoon do it that it really stuck with me. Maybe because while Burns was saying "iced cream" in a way that suggests that he just thinks that's what it's called because he's a trillion years old, Dragoon says it in a horrified realization that his "sweet meats" aren't regular cake, but cream. And not just cream, mind you. This is much worse than regular cream. Worse than clotted cream. Worse even than heavy whipping cream. This is...

ICED CREAM!!!!

drat straight you're alarmed by that! Those are Red Mantle's arteries you're clotting!!

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

tarlibone posted:

What's really weird is that I'm a huge Simpsons fan. (Is there a thread for that?)
There's several hundred pages in GBS about the bad years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weird thing is it makes sense for Doc, since he was basically isolated and home-schooled for most of his life outside traumatic adventures with homicidal weirdos, and some weird uses of language are pretty common for people who've read about things they've never had conversations about. (and we all know Jonas sure as hell wasn't the type to give him responsible sex ed, which is probably why Dermott exists)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and we all know Jonas sure as hell wasn't the type to give him responsible sex ed...

Oh, come on now. Jonas prepared an entire Scope-o-Tone about those urges one feels during puberty, and he had a banana right there, just ready to go for the necessary demonstrations!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I know I'm late to this and I'm full of apologies, but did that animation Discord ParadoxGentleman mentioned ever coagulate, and if so can I get an invite? WhiskeyWolfe#7695

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I've been rewatching the series recently and just heard them namedrop the Treaty of Tolerance all the way back in Season 2. This loving show

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pablo gbscobar posted:

I've been rewatching the series recently and just heard them namedrop the Treaty of Tolerance all the way back in Season 2. This loving show

They rewatch the show when they’re writing a new season to find stuff to flesh out and it leads to a really, really deep universe. I fuckin’ love it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They rewatch the show when they’re writing a new season to find stuff to flesh out and it leads to a really, really deep universe. I fuckin’ love it.

As by-the-seat-of-your-pants storytelling goes, this is probably one of the best ways to do it. It puts you in the same mindset as your audience.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If anyone doesn't have them, Vudu has all the seasons for $10 each.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I have a theory.

We know Monarch and Doc are half brothers but what if this isn't exactly true, what if it goes deeper.

We know Blue Morpho and his wife were having issues producing a child and Good ol Daddy Venture offered his potent science to help with it, what if that wasn't just code for his penis in her vagina.

We know Doc aka Rusty is suppose to be a clone, or that's what that one Helper robot accidentally revealed or thought anyways.

What if we got pieces of the puzzle but not all the parts and it goes something like this.

Ol Daddy Venture had begun to tinker with cloning which is why Rusty was able to clone his own sons so much later on, he got all the machines and instructions from dear old dad, I don't believe that any Rusty "slugs" were created as Jonas was still working on things sorting out the bugs but he knew how dangerous life could be, especially his so he was planning to make back ups, likely of himself and his son or so was going to be the plan.

Now good ol Daddy Venture decides to make his "good friend" that child he promised and decides hey why not use this newborn baby he's got as a base, but tinker with it somewhat so it won't be exactly the same, maybe even screw with the DNA a bit to prevent it from being as great as his own kid. Classic dick Jonas Venture all around while still being able to say he did as he promised.

So Doc makes the new baby using his science and is kinda pleased and then summons BM and wifey who are presented by their new bundle of joy via Helper delivery. Everyone is happy, all continues on with the world.

Rusty and dear old daddy dearest do many adventures and time passes as something begins to bother old man Venture, something just isn't right. Despite being of great gene stock especially from the fathers side the son is falling by the wayside, he's adventurous and that's great but....he really ain't that smart. Well, not compared to a Jonas Venture anyways. Rusty gets in trouble, needs to be bailed out constantly and is to put it bluntly, a disappointment. Then one night over a glass of whisky something clicks in old man Ventures mind and he quickly checks and finds out the horrible truth.

Rusty, our Doc is the tinkered clone. When Helper went to retrieve the clone the poor bot didn't know which was which and took the wrong child to hand over to BM and wife, it's why the other Helper said that the Rusty we've been use to is a clone, because he knew the mistake or learned of it soon after. Old man Venture is pissed and worse, angry, very very angry. He wants his true legacy back, he demands it back. Or else. This causes a chain of events, BM and wife flee in a plane wanting to keep the child they have grown to raise and love but one of old Daddy Ventures pals from Team Venture (probably someone like the action man) screwed with the plane before take off not realizing Doc didn't want to kill them so much as get the kid. Opps. Plane goes down, BM dies, his wife dies and the child is gone, burnt up? Ate by wild life? Who knows but all that's left is the tinkered with clone and ol Jonas decides to stick with the stupid little turd since it's all he's got left, this also leads to him basically treating Rusty like dirt and the other members pretty much join in not giving a poo poo about some stupid clone kid figuring they'll probably go through a bunch and mind wipe them to a certain point ala Doc later does with his own boys. What Jonas Venture didn't realize at the time was of course Malcom, the true Rusty survived and went on his own butterfly adventure. By the time he does return to civilization old Daddy Venture probably decides the kid is likely a lost cause by that point and plans to make a superior Rusty down the line so stops giving a poo poo about him allowing Malcolm to live free while Rusty(the clone) continues on his hard knock life being mentally abused by all those around him who believe he's living on borrowed time until his replacement can be created.

In the end all Jonas plans go up in flames or should I say out an airlock and he never gets to fix his great blunder due to being reduced to a head and stuck in Problem for decades. We've seen Malcolm is pretty smart, he's developed a few things including that sun beam weapon he tried to use against Captain Sunshine and he's likely smarter than even he knows but since he was never pushed into the sciences he never really became a great legendary inventor. What we have seen he's immense and overwhelming hatred for Rusty very early on in life and what if all that subconscious anger he has is because a part of him on some level realized that Rusty got the life he was suppose to have, that everything he was suppose to be was stolen by this annoying failure which only fuels his rage for him even more, he doesn't understand but all there is, is that anger and it drives him to do everything he does in life. Rusty himself knows none of this and is crushed by the worlds great expectations placed upon him he could never hope to reach.

So yes, as people said the show is truly about the Venture Brothers, being Malcolm and Rusty but more than just blood brothers, they really are mirror images of each other twisted by life and science.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

If anything JJ is the actual son Jonas wanted but due to his hubris or whatever things turned out how they are. Malcolm is savvy but so much of his success is because of his wife.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The Monarch's butterfly adventure lasted for a couple of days maximum if I remember correctly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, they just happened to be migrating near the crash site and probably stopped there to rest before continuing on. He probably spent a few days in the woods before being found.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rusty and Malcom are Beavis and Butthead if their similarly absentee and/or disaffected parents were rich.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 5, 2020

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, they just happened to be migrating near the crash site and probably stopped there to rest before continuing on. He probably spent a few days in the woods before being found.

Although Jonas' attention span could be suitably short, so~ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

quote:

The Monarch--then only eight years old--was the only one to survive the crash, and spent three months living in the forest amidst a colony of Monarch butterflies, who "adopted" him.

Plenty of time for Jonas to move on or decide the kid wasn't worth whatever psychological issues he gained in the wild.