Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I dunno, the Jonas stuff is also filtered directly through Rusty's POV. I would have agreed entirely before season 7, except that the way Team Venture talked about Jonas was drastically different and more nuanced than they are all presented getting along with Jonas in previous flashbacks.

That being said I definitely think Jonas was massively hosed up and abusive to Rusty and rightfully the key villain of the show, I just feel like there's a 10% that's been withheld from us that explains why the guy was so beloved and why his friends were so loyal despite seeing his hosed up side. This is the last show that would present someone as completely and entirely irredeemable.

I think it's because team venture are all basically selfish shitbags as well, and they may not know about everything he did. Like I don't remember how many of them knew he trapped those kids in the tunnels under the compound. I agree he's a narcissist concerned with how he appears to others, so he'd want them to think he was great and modify his behavior and what they saw accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I am Reverend posted:

It's hard to work into a conversation but I don't think any line has made me laugh harder than "Maybe *I* was the lizard man who stole your precious serum."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DgM6VrxNE4

The Buddy System has to be the funniest episode they ever made, but I'm quite partial to Dermott so I may be biased.

I don’t think it’s quite on the level of Every Which Way But Zeus, which has an all-time great line every ten seconds, but it’s definitely close.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SeanBeansShako posted:

From what little we got of Rusty's musical the drat thing is such an ear worm.

This is how you end the show, a Broadway musical. poo poo, no one could see that for awhile though. I would love to see the costume jobs for that.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets

SeanBeansShako posted:

From what little we got of Rusty's musical the drat thing is such an ear worm.

Bright Lights, Dean City is easily a top 5 ep for me. Aside from the catchy tunes there are just so many classic moments:

"Hot Sandwich! You've murdered the Venture Boy!"
"Shhh, I understand; you can't talk. You need help, just blink twice if he's your pimp"
The villain job interview segment
Underbeit snapping Manservant's neck unnecessarily
And of course the "rear end in a top hat dimension" zinger delivered to bizzaro-Doc in the stinger

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My top five are:
1)Every Which Way But Zeus
2)The Buddy System
3)Self Medication
4)The Inamorata Consequence
5)Victor Echo November

The show is has so many hits that picking the last three was really difficult. There’s so many season 7 episodes that I really love that will probably move up once I’ve seen them a million times like I have S1-4 episodes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

pixaal posted:

This is how you end the show, a Broadway musical. poo poo, no one could see that for awhile though. I would love to see the costume jobs for that.

Only if the in-show Rusty has a full head of hair. Because of course the musical would be in-universe from the dimension where he's a success.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my take on Jonas is that he's a confluence of the idealized Man's Man of the mid 20th century as well as the generally callous and ignorant methods of parenting common in the mid 20th century. like the logical extension of "what would a life of high adventure do to a child" gone further, "what would having an international jet setting tomb robber playboy with sole custody of a child be like in 1960?"

like imagine having James Bond as a dad. christ

Guy A. Person posted:

I dunno, the Jonas stuff is also filtered directly through Rusty's POV. I would have agreed entirely before season 7, except that the way Team Venture talked about Jonas was drastically different and more nuanced than they are all presented getting along with Jonas in previous flashbacks.

That being said I definitely think Jonas was massively hosed up and abusive to Rusty and rightfully the key villain of the show, I just feel like there's a 10% that's been withheld from us that explains why the guy was so beloved and why his friends were so loyal despite seeing his hosed up side. This is the last show that would present someone as completely and entirely irredeemable.

the times when jonas was being an acceptable dad don't make for good television. and even a terribly abusive or negligent father can be warm and caring sometimes

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 11, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

luxury handset posted:

like imagine having James Bond as a dad. christ

*headboard pounding on wall* another one dad? What's her name this time? Octopussy? And you believe her? She's sleeping with you for secrets gently caress you are naive.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"Pussy Galore? Dad that's not a name, what are- what do you mean you *cured* her of being a lesbian? That's not how it works, goddamnit old man!"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Watching the early seasons, the gag about Rusty calling Dean “Dave” and stuff is pretty harsh. I think in later seasons after they figured out the Jonas character that kind of lovely parenting got pushed onto him and Rusty is shown just as more of a person struggling with his own demons while raising the boys. I can see a lot of him trying to give them the experience he had of being the son of a wealthy celebrity with all of the misguided baggage that comes with. It’s really well done. Ben’s while spiel about loving the boys so much that he made sure nothing terrible ever happened to them really hit home with me. I lost a child and I’d do anything to have her back.

Rusty is a middling parent trying to raise his kids in a hosed up world and it’s kind of shocking how relatively well adjusted they came out while growing into their own people. I know it’s just a tv show but that aspect of it is really skillfully done and organic in a way most characters very much aren’t.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It only took about ten sets of extra lives to get them there

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Brock, get their clothes

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

TK-42-1 posted:

Watching the early seasons, the gag about Rusty calling Dean “Dave” and stuff is pretty harsh. I think in later seasons after they figured out the Jonas character that kind of lovely parenting got pushed onto him and Rusty is shown just as more of a person struggling with his own demons while raising the boys. I can see a lot of him trying to give them the experience he had of being the son of a wealthy celebrity with all of the misguided baggage that comes with. It’s really well done. Ben’s while spiel about loving the boys so much that he made sure nothing terrible ever happened to them really hit home with me. I lost a child and I’d do anything to have her back.

Rusty is a middling parent trying to raise his kids in a hosed up world and it’s kind of shocking how relatively well adjusted they came out while growing into their own people. I know it’s just a tv show but that aspect of it is really skillfully done and organic in a way most characters very much aren’t.

The fact the boys have died so many times surely has weighed on him, in fact we even got to see it does haunt his subconscious. Remember the episode Monarch was in his mind and there were all those dead versions of the boys running around, someone even pointed out once that episode was done and Rusty had accepted certain things his approach to the boys actually improved and he started to treat them better in following episodes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TK-42-1 posted:

I've always figured Rusty's parenting skills being at their worst during Season 1(and some of the other bits that nowadays feel kinda out of character for him) as being due to the "diet pills" he's on at the time(another trait that quietly got dropped over time)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I assumed said pills were purged by the Killinger visit and Rusty was just too lazy to go back to them.

Maybe he weaned himself off with his bespoke cocktails.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

I assumed said pills were purged by the Killinger visit and Rusty was just too lazy to go back to them.

Maybe he weaned himself off with his bespoke cocktails.

Killinger was encouraging him to take pills. He had space in his villain costume for them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ah so maybe that is why he kicked them afterwards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diet pills is code for speed, for anyone who doesn’t know, so he was uppers all the time, like a meth head

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

TK-42-1 posted:

I have a dear friend who just lost their child too. Some things just make nothing else ever compare. The light of your child
it never goes out.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Diet pills is code for speed, for anyone who doesn’t know, so he was uppers all the time, like a meth head

I'm reasonably sure they were literal diet pills, because Rusty is like that: completely not getting that it was slang.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sash! posted:

I'm reasonably sure they were literal diet pills, because Rusty is like that: completely not getting that it was slang.

They actually sold Speed as diet pills at one point

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TK-42-1 posted:

His whole spiel about preying on their fear and moving like an animal to feel the kill is so good. Like dudes a legit psycho when he gets ramped up and still somehow has a heart of gold.

“Say scuba. Scuba.”

It's a funny word!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I always liked the idea that Jonas was basically a functional sociopath. He's following all the rules to act like he thinks a Man's Man, a Great Man, of his era should act, and plays the hero because it gets him fame, fortune and chicks, but we've seen plenty of casual disregarded for life and dignity of others, and that he treated Rusty basically as property. And there's points like with Venturion where he went too far even for his pack of pet psychos, and that he tends to get bored and forget about projects. It also might say something that Jonas was the primary mediator between the OSI and GCI.

Rusty's tragedy is that, despite knowing that Jonas was a horrible father, he's still basically Rusty's only real role model, and his only idea of success looks like his father. Likewise, he knows what Jonas did to him was horrible, but still takes his kids on dangerous adventures simply because he doesn't know any other way to parent. (that said, he probably could have tried to just send them to school)

Also, I can identify a lot with Rusty, especially that he got exposed to his father's whole lifestyle, but never actually taught any of the important things about it, and it explains so much that he's basically self-taught with super-science.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
For the past 2 years, every time it rains I have to say: "I hope you brought rubbers .... a storm is approaching." in his voice of course.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I like to go dadada da dadada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=recquYTS-fE&t=96s

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

White and Billy might be what Doc and Jackson want to be, but 24 and 21 are who they are

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

I'm not sure that I think VB is the funniest show ever made, but I think this scene may be the funniest scene ever made. I can't even *think* about it without cracking the gently caress up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can keep it together right up till 24 makes his entrance.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The best bit is after Monarch hangs up and then loses his balance.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
at one point i remember Doc talking about "yellow jackets" which are "diet pills" containing ephedrine and caffeine meant to speed up your metabolism. illegal in the usa but I'm sure Rusty could swing it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Great show but now its over

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The really disturbing thing (and yes, I know they're voiced by the same guy) is that Hunter Gathers and non-shouting Sgt. Hatred are the same voice, only with McCulloch likely having a straw in his mouth while doing the former.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
The goliath serum episode had Rusty trying to use one of his sons urine to pass a piss test. Company policy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The really disturbing thing (and yes, I know they're voiced by the same guy) is that Hunter Gathers and non-shouting Sgt. Hatred are the same voice, only with McCulloch likely having a straw in his mouth while doing the former.

I cant help but hear Hatred as older Hank with a smoking habit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vord posted:

The goliath serum episode had Rusty trying to use one of his sons urine to pass a piss test. Company policy

On the one hand, that could be trying to hide amphetamines from the diet pills, on the other hand, he has a giant prog rock collection, so it’s really anyone’s guess as to what else is in his system.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
True. Also just remembered season 1's first episode had Rusty trying to get meds from a Mexican doctor. But I have tripolar disorder!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Isn't the joke there that you don't *need* a prescription to get pretty much anything you want from a pharmacy in Mexico?

...provided they have it, you know the name for it, and are willing to pay a "Gringo tax?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doc literally has his own chemistry lab, he can probably mix up whatever if he feels like it. Jonny says that he got started on his drug habits as a kid due to having unsupervised access to his dad's lab.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vord posted:

I cant help but hear Hatred as older Hank with a smoking habit.

Doctor Venture is... PREGNANT?!?!?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Great show but now its over

Yes but what's your favorite quote??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I can keep it together right up till 24 makes his entrance.

That's the part that takes a ludicrous and funny intro scene to a new level. I can believe that Twenty-One would do the sound effects and sing the rhythmic ostinato from "Mars, Bringer of War" upon his epic return to Monarch duty. That's goofy and fun. But the idea that Twenty-Four would pull up, singing the melody line in time with his partner in costumed villiany? Hilarious.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The best bit is after Monarch hangs up and then loses his balance.

I have looped that scene before. It is so great. When the door opens and he falls, vanishing into darkness? I lose it every time. I wonder how many doors he fell through, one after the other, before the curvature of the halls wrapped around enough so that he could grab onto the walls to stop himself.