Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Antipop posted:

Sadly no. The funny thing was Brickfrog explaining who he was to the guy in front of him. Also the monarch guy from above walking back in the theater as PROM is starting and says "yo Brickfrog, can you move your bag from the aisle, y'know for fire safety"

And? Did he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Illuminado posted:

Came in here to post this.

Baseless Conjecture about Dean and his fancy new duds/attitude:
He actually is learning super-science. He's going to that cabin, which is alluded to in that teaser. He's meeting with the Super-Scientist who worked with Doc Venture to help set up the clones. Being that he actually knows what he's doing, and in the Halloween episode actually was talking science [at] Dean.

Should we spoiler conjecture or what's the deal exactly with that? I've got an idea I'd like to lay out before the seasons pans out but I don't want to ruin anybody's fun by simply being right for the first time in ever. By the way I wasn't talking about you specific Illuminado. I think Dean's on the way to super science whether he likes it or not.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TontoCorazon posted:

Where the hell are they getting all these inflatable monstrosos?

Talk about a real niche market. Or maybe they're ubiquitous in the Venture-verse and everyone of importance has about a half dozen of the things running interference for them at any given time. Hell, maybe this is a universe where Kennedy got shot and rapidly deflated leaving Oswald wondering just what the gently caress.

or maybe he did the cartoony thing and flew around Dealy Plaza while the parade goers fled in fear.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Friends Are Evil posted:

It took me the longest time to realize the Halloween episode really was set during the commercial break. I thought that it was just adult swim loving with people.

I watched it on youtube. Was there a bumper card at some point that explained when it happened?

Umph posted:

I think it's a result of me relying on spell check to think for me pretty much every time I type now.

That's why you always ask for it to be used in a sentence.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sereri posted:

My only 'complaint' with the episode is Saint Cloud sounding too much like Hank doing a silly accent. And I can't unhear it.

I didn't even notice it until people in this thread brought it up. Thanks assholes.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It would, but I think we'd be waiting 2-3 years between seasons if it were the case. Maybe longer.

Uh...

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
AS not doing the youtube thing are they?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

This is a great idea and they're such great one-off characters I'd love to see what they'd scheme. I couldn't see introducing, or in this case converting, any more introducing many more main character arcs at this point in the series though. It's kinda busy enough as is.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

thrakkorzog posted:

My favorite is from the Escape From the House of Mummies, a Henchman tries throwing a gun at an escaping Brock Sampson.

Henchman#1: Why did you try throw your gun at him? You could have just asked for extra ammo. *sigh* Go get your gun.

What is this? This is a butchery :colbert:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Comrade Quack posted:

Nope it's entered our household dumps isms too. (Fun fact my phone autocorrected euphamisms to dumps isms and it was too apt to correct. )

Also I love all of Shore Leave's pet names for Brock.
Brock of ages
Brockness monster
Brock lobster

Brockodile

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

On the other hand, it would be fun to see the Killinger plot line come full circle, with Doc and the Monarch teaming up as brothers and villains to arch Jonas Jr.

Rusty and the Monarch as a bad guys, the boys as good guys.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

Well the thing is, the kind of guy who might be up for going through the work of voice acting for $1 might not have the best voice skills to begin with!

I wonder what he spent it on...

Entropic posted:

Is this the first time Col. Gentleman got called by his first name? ("Horace, lock the door")

I think in the Quymn episode, Dr. Quymn calls him it. Could be wrong.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 25, 2013

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He also ran straight into a wall after taking his mask off so he's not that bright as well.

He was doing it ironically to impact the skull.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

axleblaze posted:

Also in "Victor. Echo. November.", it kind of says alot about how badass The Monarch is despite everything when Brock sneaks up behind him and puts a knife to his throat and he doesn't even flinch.

The Monarch is actually a pretty damned competent villain, at least when he isn't fighting Samson or someone with superpowers clearly out of his league like Limb.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BexGu posted:

Has any one made a list of all the Villains that where shown? I really want to remember the name of the that female villain in the flower get up.

You masturbate enough.

Data Graham posted:

The "bouncer not buying the ventriloquist gag for a second but playing along anyway" thing was pretty great, but it kinda felt like a rehash of the "smuggling Bigfoot and Steve Summers past the MPs" bit.

How on earth do you figure that?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Data Graham posted:

Because the joke was the same. First you think the guy was totally fooled, then it turns out he picked up every little detail at the same level the audience did, and that's what's funny. "That was a shaved Bigfoot and Steve Summers in a wig. Made out of shaved Bigfoot."

The guy was totally fooled. His partner wasn't. And Brock Samson made a plan that relied mostly on his fame and reputation to persuade a guard that was so enamored he probably would have blown him had he asked. And it also went off without a hitch. Venture and Billy was impromptu, and while it was some inspired improvisation on Billy's part, not particularly what I'd call grade A entertainment for a super-villain super-club.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
S'all good. Just goes to show bouncers are more discerning than soldiers when it comes to seeing through disguises.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JethroMcB posted:

At this point the show is like 75% just Doc and Jackson arguing with each other in funny voices, and it works because the voices really are that good. Doc Hammer has said his basis for Red Mantle is "Drunk Obi-Wan Kenobi," which is just wonderful (And, when you're listening for it, spot on!)

Wha? How? Neither one of them sound remotely like Kenobi IMO...

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Firebatgyro posted:

He's the sidekick for 'US Steel', the pro-wrestler looking guy in American flag spandex from Every Which Way But Zeus

Oh my god, that makes so much sense. I figured he was made by US Steel.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bobulus posted:

So here's another insane relative theory:

So "Triple Threat", the woman Action Man had a crush on and whom Brainulo made him fight, is clearly Rose, the woman... that he has a crush on.

(Note the glasses, the rose pin, the hairstyle)

...that means Billy's mom has had contact with Brainulo. So, uh, that's two large-headed, intelligent men in Rose's life.

If Billy ever starts exhibiting mind powers, I'm going to laugh so hard.

Whether this show is about failure or not at this point, it's gotta hurt like hell if Billy ends up having both super science talent AND magic powers... while looking like that. It's like so close to having the perfect skillset, yet you look like a grown up boy with an enormous head.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

evilwaldo posted:

You can stop the trolling. Everything moved along at a decent pace.

Uhm, that's a perfectly reasonable and well stated opinion. It's also the right one. I have no clue how anybody can possibly say it was the best season of the show. I love Venture Bros and I'm eagerly waiting the next season, because this one was a tremendous letdown. Some good episodes, some great jokes but nothing really struck me as amazing. And it was definitely a step down in terms of finales and the weakest by far.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I wasn't being condescending?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RandomPauI posted:

There was also Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner.

Which is still a perfectly good episode and even if it wasn't I'd be glad to trade 1 poor episode a season for trimming 6 months off the production time.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

X_Toad posted:

So, two episodes out of nine (I count the Halloween special and I don't count his cameo in the Bot Seeks Bot) and a character is 'too relied upon'. Yeah, makes sense.

For what it's worth, I thought St Cloud was great. But Spanikopita was also my least favorite episode of the season and even some people who say they loved the season felt similar so it's hard to fault the character for something he had no bearing on.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Given how long the drat production time is I'd be pissed if they actually did it but it'd be kinda funny if they played it straight like that Sealab 2021 episode.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

LividLiquid posted:

Why would he not be?

He stayed at home that episode.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DrBouvenstein posted:

7. The Ooo Ray from the pilot
8. The portable force field that is weirdly susceptible to club soda.

Who brings club soda to a battlefield anyway?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BooDoug187 posted:

I want to say British people for some reason.

I was really hoping somebody would post a picture of sterling archer.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DrBouvenstein posted:

Though I do remember the fun speculation on how the series would continue. Clones was the primary front-runner, but other popular options were that the twins would be gone entirely, and "The Venture Brothers" would just mean Rusty and Jonas, or Dr.O would resurrect them with his magic, or perhaps even using Grover Cleveland's Presidential Time Machine to go back in time to rescue them.

I keep seeing this and have no clue what people are talking about!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

I love how Shallow Gravy Dermott was talking bout how he decked Dean and then Dean goes NO I DECKED him.

I love how surprisingly badass the Venture boys both are. Dean is an emotional pussy but he makes up for it in fearful rage.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

What's this from?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't get like half those references. Like I literally don't remember them from VB.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't remember for example the apparatus.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I so want Princess Tinyfeet's giant cat in the closet in Home is Where the Hatred Is, the one that Brock says looks like a man in a giant cat costume to actually be a man in a giant cat costume given her... lifestyle. I know it's unlikely but its kinda thematically consistent that Hatred is so completely oblivious to her goings on in his own house.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I caught the premiere of the pilot :smug:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

Frame them on your wall. Or give them to me to frame on my wall.

I use redneck as shorthand for white trash, I don't even know what a good ol' boy is but the difference to me is negligible - either way I knew too many people like that growing up and don't enjoy watching them in my televised entertainment. I don't care if it's making fun of them, I find the characters unpleasant to watch.

They're not white trash. Like, in the least. I don't really think you knew too many people like them growing up if you consider them white trash lol.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
God I love the laugh track in Past Tense.

e: Also Orpheus's completely wrong prediction.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 23, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bored posted:

I wore my Spanakopita tshirt to the grocery store and a couple of people asked what it was for. I had to try to figure out how to summarize the show. I did a slightly better job of explaining the context when the receptionist at the vet's office asked.

What's the shirt look like?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dingis posted:

I hope I was not that guy. I may have been him, but full disclosure I was pretty drunk at the time. Also strangers scare me.

However, I did wear my 24 shirt in like 2011 and spoiled that season finale for someone who hadn't seen it yet.

Bringing goons together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I for real was expecting alien intervention because of 20YtM, yeah. In any case, a loving awesome "end" to season 5. Although I softened my opinions on it after a rewatch a few months ago anyway. It's still a pretty good season.