Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

CmdrKing posted:

There is exactly one reason to watch the Xenosaga anime. There's a scene where Assistant Scott and Allen get sloshed and bond over how little their bosses appreciate them. All points before and after that scene are poo poo and either rehash the game, remove something good the game did, or add scenes that muddy the waters and dilute the game's plot.

Pretty sure that was in the game, too. I've played it in the last year*, and I seem to remember that scene. It was one of the best things ever (not saying much, considering this series, but still.) Also - there's a plot, beyond ANIME TO THE MAX, BRO! ? o.O

*I haven't gotten around to watching the videos yet, but they're all on my drive/to-do list for when I get back from my holiday trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Momo, Ziggy, Kos-mos. Team mechnical for the win.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

rio posted:

The third game is good and cool, is fun and has killer music. You basically pay it forward by slogging through 2 to get to 3.

I always found 1 to be more of a slog than 2. 1's lack of music in most sections makes it feel so lifeless, and while I normally enjoy Lia Sargent, she just wasn't a good fit for the main character. And don't even get me started on Shion's schizophrenic character portrayal in the first game. Is she a smart scientist who's just a bit naive, or is she a lab rat that only got her job because she slept with someone (my personal theory) and whose head is so far up her butt she's constantly tasting her own breakfast twice? The writing staff only seemed able to make up their mind on that dependent on if the scene was voiced or not. 2 fixed up that via better consistency.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

This has always bugged me.

Ziggy: Death is rest for the soul. Who was it who said that?

Unless I'm reading this wrong, someone by the name of Thomas Brooks. And the original quote is actually "Death brings the soul to a state of eternal rest". So basically they swiped a mid-17th century non-conformist preacher's words, moved them around a little, and shoved them into Ziggy's mouth.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Perhaps he ascended unto a higher plane of existence.

We'll never know, since we're never getting another 'gears game. :razz: (Only planes I can see being lower than Xenosaga is if the F.A.T.A.L. guys somehow made a video game. And even then, this series still doesn't manage to sink that low.)

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Kos-Mos
Ziggy
Jin
. Team adults for the win.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Edvarius posted:

But KOS-MOS is the youngest party member...

She's still one of the most mature, least head-screwed party members we have.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

mmj posted:

Jr., MOMO and Shion. Team childish behavior!

Seconding this.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Daeren posted:

Claim valid for only certain varieties of sense.

*Offer void in New Jersey.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

I had forgotten all about that side quest of Frying Pan as Hammer. The moments of charm this installment has are almost interesting. :allears:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

No worries on Ocarina of Time, Kip. The 3DS version is much better.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Glad to hear things are a bit better. Take all the time you need, Kip. We're patient. :)

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Forget spacepope, I'm just waiting for the coolest Ziggy moment this series will ever see. :allears:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

ScurvyKip posted:

I'll get to Pied Piper eventually :v:

Wait, they give him awesome moments in the next game, too? I was thinking of the one we see after the fight with spacepope, involving missiles. (Haven't played the third game yet, thanks to never managing to get a copy.)

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Good to see another update. :) At this rate we've got what, one or two videos left to Ziggy's coolest moment in this game?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

FeyerbrandX posted:

I've never seen the end game before. The fact you can call something the "coolest" anything after giant angel erupting from a planet blowing everything up fills me with great anticipation.

To be fair, I am also a BIG Ziggurat-8 fan. But it's still a pretty damned cool moment to watch.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want to say, rather than derailing the current Shadow Hearts/ Tales convo in the FFX thread, that I support Shion Uzuki and I think most of the hate for her is unjustified.

Now to wait until the next game to actually be able to talk about all this...

Shion is not totally terrible - but she's way more self-absorbed and self-centered than her age and position (in Vector) should allow for. She acts about 6-8 years younger than she actually is (24, I believe?)

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Tunicate posted:

I'm really surprised how little agency the party has had through the entire second game, and how much was literally pointless.

Literally nothing changed from the previous status quo. The dungeon doesn't even have any character moments or recurring bosses - it's pure filler.

You've kind of just described the first game, too. When it comes to Plots That Actually Mean Something/Have Something Happen, Xenosaga's got a pretty low bar to begin with.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Hunter Noventa posted:

I never did touch the postgame for this. I read what was involved in my strategy guide and said 'gently caress no'

Godspeed you crazy man.

I did, but after reading the strategy guide I said "they cheat, I cheat", and loaded up the Pro Action Replay to speed it up by like 300%. Only thing you should never do though, is never go in with like all these status immunities and a party of all top level characters. A former buddy of mine found out the hard way that's the circumstances to let one of the secret bosses have invincibility.

Seconding the good luck, Kip. *salutes*

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Way to go, Kip! I might even finally pick up a copy of 3 so I can play along with you at the start of the year.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Goddammit, the Pied Piper translation site lasted ten years. I swear I just looked at it a few months ago. I'll see if anybody I know has a PDF of it or something.

If you still have the URL for it, I could probably go see if the Wayback Machine still has a copy somewhere.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

I have never heard of this game. I look forward to the inevitable trainwreck it promises to be. :allears:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Do it like the game's infodumps - All at once.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

This game is aptly named, because there's all sorts of freaks roaming around. :staredog:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

ScurvyKip posted:

Shion, which is not

Are - are you saying we're getting a more or less "fill in your own translation" adventure starring The Stupidest Scientist Ever to Disgrace Vector? :allears:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

I know it's easy to do it but you're forgetting Allen.

Eh, we can only count him as second dumbest. He knows he's dumb to be in love with a woman with the possible life expectancy of a package of pop-tarts in a stoners' convention.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

This sounds fun. I wouldn't mind doing Jan Sauer, I've got a nice deep voice. By the way, you might want to fix the formatting, it's off to the right on the Doc.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

ScurvyKip posted:

It displays fine on my end. Tried logging out and viewing and it still looks fine, care to send me a screenshot or something? I'll see what I can do.

Huh, I should've screenshotted, because now it looks just fine. Before like 30% of the page was lost. Ah well! I'll be sending my audition in later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Got everything done for chapter 2 so far but the music and any sound effects to be put in, but thanks to the holiday, it will probably have to wait until I get back from my trip. So Chapter 2 should be in Kip's hands by the first week of January, folks!

• Locked thread