Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I picked Moldy Oldie because I like cool old people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I was too late to start voting when it likely mattered.

But I would've voted Luna/Ally if I was playing this game for the first time, too. Going with such a Visual Novel style of gameplay would've been easier to understand if you had the ability to fast forward/skip through everything that didn't matter for the purposes of altering paths, though. Also, being able to start the game at the first decision would be nice, too. I can't imagine playing the first few bits of the game over and over for each ending is fun.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Wait, who said you have to start the game over?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

We're getting a little ahead of ourselves but I'm pretty sure you missed a slightly major feature of the game. But let's focus on getting an ending first.

Edit: or maybe you haven't even played the game yet I can't tell :psyduck: In that case, just wait. Things will be explained.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 11, 2013

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If I ever make an iOS game, I will include a fake 99 dollar IAP that just pops up a window with links to compulsive shopping support groups.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Pidmon posted:

It's a fairly reasonable assumption seeing how everything's gone completely to poo poo so far and the previous game was all about playing it from the start over and over again until the major plot twist happens.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Overflight posted:

If I ever make an iOS game, I will include a fake 99 dollar IAP that just pops up a window with links to compulsive shopping support groups.

Wrong thread, friend.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Pidmon posted:

Having never played this game, I figured it was like 999 in that you had to start over from the beginning each time. If I'm wrong, good.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I feel like the people who have played the game deliberately steered voting toward this outcome. Otherwise I can't explain why people wouldn't want to know what the deal with Alice is. :tinfoil:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Spatula City posted:

I feel like the people who have played the game deliberately steered voting toward this outcome. Otherwise I can't explain why people wouldn't want to know what the deal with Alice is. :tinfoil:

Maybe they're more concerned with the mystery of their incarceration, etc. instead of wondering about some lady who may or may not be a mummy?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Spatula City posted:

Well if you recall the voting between Luna and Alice was actually pretty tight in the first set of doors and even in the second set Luna only won out by a small margin. I feel like people take too much for granted with "the people who know the game want to sway the LP direction" because while the game is popular, I doubt it's large enough for past players to have a large effect on voting.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I wish I could get concrete numbers on how many people voting have played the game themselves and how many are blind, but alas.

At this point I feel compelled to give any unspoiled readers the following reassurance: The game remains amazing regardless of how much sway the more informed readership have in the decision-making process. Whether we blunder about blindly or stride with precision along the mathematically-determined most efficient possible path toward the True Ending (whatever that is), I guarantee you are in for an amazing ride.

After the point where we outline the "thing" about this game's plot (and thank you all for continuing to not talk about it yet!), I will be able to provide further reassurances along with some other generally positive observations about the said plot.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Spatula City posted:

I'm following this LP blind, and I happened so far to vote with the goonmind so far. I figured we'd get to know about Alice anyhow eventually, so that didn't enter into which way I voted.

It'd be neat if future votes has two options: one for the actual vote in question, and a second "Have you played the game before"; I also am curious, whether or not the two votes are correlated at all.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I'm sure the game is great no matter what order you play in. I voted this way so that the thread could experience the best character in the game (G-OLM) as early as possible.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm not worried about the most mathematically efficient route to the True Ending (or whatever is considered as such).

I just want everyone, Fedule especially, to have fun on the ride there :allears:

Seriously, Fedule, you must LOVE cliffhangers, because you kept ending updates on them and driving me crazy :argh:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Shei-kun posted:

I'm not worried about the most mathematically efficient route to the True Ending (or whatever is considered as such).

I just want everyone, Fedule especially, to have fun on the ride there :allears:

Seriously, Fedule, you must LOVE cliffhangers, because you kept ending updates on them and driving me crazy :argh:

I feel like the whole Zero Escape series could be subtitled "Cliffhangers: The Game(s)".

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

curiousCat posted:

I feel like the whole Zero Escape series could be subtitled "Cliffhangers: The Game(s)".

That's really only this presentation, though. In the actual game, at the end of most of these updates, you tap the screen and move on to the start of the next one with almost no pause. Any cliffhangers are those you manufacture. Not that the game presents many GOOD stopping points, but if you want to know what happens next, you just read on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nidoking posted:

That's really only this presentation, though. In the actual game, at the end of most of these updates, you tap the screen and move on to the start of the next one with almost no pause. Any cliffhangers are those you manufacture. Not that the game presents many GOOD stopping points, but if you want to know what happens next, you just read on.

Yeah, when playing it it's "4AM Already: the Game."

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Monitor]

Fortunately, a facility's "Security Room" is not necessarily itself a particularly secure room, but merely the central location from which the security of other rooms is handled. So that'll make our escape a bit easier.

Technically, our team is Sigma (7BP, Magenta Pair), Phi (7BP, Magenta Pair) and Luna (7BP, Green Solo), but unfortunately Luna can't join us today because somebody murdered her.

This room also happens to be the first we've been to with a "complex" layout, which is to say, there is more than one spot on which we can stand while panning our viewpoint around.

As you might be able to tell, this really needn't have been the case, but apparently they just
had to have those funky hexagonal shelves in their own little alcoves.

In fact, this room is actually quite sparse. There isn't even all that much good dialogue, either. All it has going for it is one kinda nifty (though arbitrary) puzzle and that kinda-not-as-grating-as-you-think-from-the-first-few-seconds BGM.

Well, let's have a poke around.

Donno. Looks like a machine of some kind.

Some binders...
drat, I can't understand a word of this. It looks like some kind of code...
...All of these binders are like that.

Moving on...

Yeah, nothing at all.

It's a chair.

Yup. And it's red.

The chairs are one of the sole sources of humour in this room.

Let me chair a--

--No!

Yeah.

I don't think the rest is going to be that easy, though.
Look at the screen...

Hm... Looks like a login screen.

I think we need to put in a password.

OK, I'll give it a shot.

Damnit. Some day.

Damnit. I don't get it...

This console has a red chair that goes with it, right?

Yeah. So?

Nothing, it just caught my eye.

...Kay.

Uh, I donno... Food drives?

Bzzzt! Wrong! The correct answer is: Chair table donations.

No! Bad!

I barely touched it and it's ready to go.

Yeah, it's showing the same thing too.

Alright... maybe we need to get creative here.

Damnit! Worth a shot.

Argh! What's the password?

Let's look around a little more. Maybe we'll find some sort of clue...

All nine of the screens are dark, though.

Probably aren't powered up.

Looks like it.

So how do we turn them on?

What kind of a question is that? There's probably some switches or something around here somewhere.

Hm. Speakers.

Yeah. They look pretty... normal.

Lady I don't know what kinda AV setup you're used to but drat.

Yes, and a green one at that.

Stop sitting around!

Looks like it.

Another password? All right, fine...

You better get this right, Sigma.

Okay, it's not a misspelling of "password" then.

Damnit! What the hell is the password?!

A green chair, huh...

...Huh?

Oh, nothing. Forget about it.

Only one more thing of interest down here...

...And what an interesting thing it is.

There's a little thunderbolt icon up here. My guess is these are a bunch of power switches.

Hm... They're all red. Does that mean they're all off?

How about you try and flip some of them?

Let's.

Yeah, I did... Kind of a... starting-up sound.

It's a good thing Sigma is so well versed in sounds!

Let's just take this straight to its conclusion.

Lovely.

I thought so...

Hey, what about Tenmyouji, Clover and Quark?!
Can you see them anywhere?

You can see just as well as I can. There's nobody there.
No Dio or K either...

(drat... Nothing.)

Alright. Time to head up the... stairs...

...Wait...

Apparently these are some very interesting stairs.

Yes. Yes there is. I'm going to go ahead and not examine these.

Okay, for real, let's check out the little lounge-alcove.

A sofa.

Seems perfectly normal.

Zero dialogue of interest. Not even a lame pun.

We'll get to the thing on the wall in just a second...

Right after we get to the other thing on the other wall.

It looks weird, but I'm pretty sure they're just shelves.

A set of shelves made up of eight hexagons.

There are triangles wedged in between the hexagons.

Intriguing, I'm sure.

And it has a twin!

Hey. Stuff.

Something's engraved on the top...
Looks like a number 4.

Four? What the heck does that mean?

In other words, it'll take four seconds for all the sand to run through it after you flip it.

How interesting.

At least Sigma catches on quickly with the next one.

Anyway, these are the only two items in this room. You don't even really need to pick them up. They serve no purpose other than information.

When you think about it, this room is basically the polar opposite of the Lounge.

Anyway. Back to the first thing on the first wall.

It's some kind of button, right? It looks like you can push it.

I can barely make it out, but I think there's something carved on the surface...

...A sun?

Yeah...

Whatever. Right now we need to focus on getting out of here.
I'm gonna push that button. That okay?

Y-Yeah, sure.

Um...

The lights turned off.

I guess it's a light switch.

So our first big break is being able to turn off the lights. Right.

Well, let's take a look a--

--Wait.

It's all lit up.

Yeah... Pretty colorful.

Do you think it's a hint?

Maybe.

The other set is lit up too and has the same dialogue attached.

So... is that it?

Hrm.

Examining anything not chair or console related results in another one of those very long generic loops of dialogue, except most of it isn't nearly as amusing as the equivalent lines in the GAULEM Bay. Also there are only really four points in the room you can examine to even see this dialogue, so, yeah. Here are some highlights.

Fascinating.

Well, this has been a gigantic waste of time. Let's just head back up--

--stairs.

Well then.

What does it mean?
Maybe...

Aksys, we have got to have a frank discussion about your bold font.

I'm gonna smack you so hard...

You see? It's right!

Only half of the stairs have any amusing dialogue.

What the hell does that mean...?

Maybe it's an abbreviation for "this is so good".

But it's just a step...

Don't try and force it to say something!

Wait, maybe these are actually coordinates in 7-dimensional spacetime!

Maybe you're coordinates in 7-dimensional spacetime...

Well, I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn that the red, green and yellow steps have the passwords for the terminals with the red, green and yellow chairs. There is puzzle-failure dialogue where Phi suggests this but it's really boring.

Fortunately, we don't need no lights to use a computer.

This is the red chair, so...

We're in!

Yeah, I guess so.

Ha. Cakewalk.

Sure. Did you see this icon? The one in the upper left corner.

I wonder what it means...

Well, there's only one way to find out, right?

Very true.

If there's one thing I know about computers, it's the importance of opening every random file you find.

Surprise puzzle!

Tapping any shape swaps the colour of the shape you tapped and any adjacent shapes. We've got four moves to get the colours to match the funky shelves on the same side of the room as this console, as Phi will tell us in an extremely nonchalant manner if we fail enough times.

Seriously, this room is quite disappointing dialogue-wise.

It's too early to celebrate. Check your screen. You've got a new icon.

Opening everything hasn't failed us yet!

Nothing happened on the screen...

Look up. The one over your head.

Huh...?

"Will be me"...
Hm...

Let's... go sort out the other consoles, I guess.

Guess we should move to the one opposite the last one, with the green chair.

Now comes pretty much the same dialogue sequence so let's just not do that.

A slightly different starting layout means a slightly different solution.

And my reward?

Ha. Nice try.
Looks like Zero's got something for you, though...

You mean this new icon?

Blah blah blah.

It just says "I was you".

Hm...

Well this is all clear as mud. One more console...

The last one is the yellow chair.

Good. That's all of them, then.
Oh, well done.

Would it really kill you to take that disdain down, like, ten percent?

Yes.

Anyway. This one isn't a hexagon icon!

Oh boy!

This is actually a pretty OK puzzle, I thought. It's a spin on a classic math puzzle, "how do you measure X quantity when your only containers are Y and Z quantity?". Our task is to figure out the time associated with each hourglass.

We can flip hourglasses over at our discretion, and then press the Play button, at which point they all drain.

How does that help us?

Well, it helps us because whenever an hourglass empties, time is paused again, and any non-empty hourglasses remain at their current level of drainage.

Now, you
can solve this puzzle by just counting the number of horizontal coloured lines in each hourglass but that would be boring.

Incidentally, once again, Phi fails at being entertainingly snarky if we can't solve the puzzle, and instead just walks you through it one step at a time. The first thing she says is to check the two hourglasses we found in the room (remember those)? That puts the red one at 4 and the yellow one at 11. Enough to be starting out with.

I have a suspicion about that blue one.

I thought so. Taking 4 seconds out of the yellow leaves 7 seconds, and that just so happens to match the blue hourglass. Three down!

The pink is easier. It just so happens to be equal to the red plus the yellow, so, 15 seconds.

The green is a bit tricker, and requires you to play around a bit. Eventually, you'll find something along the lines of...

That puts the green at (4 + 4 + (4 - (7 - 4)) ), or (4 + 4 + 1), or 9 seconds.

I like this puzzle, mostly because it encourages you to just poke at things while paying attention. Or, as we call it in the business, science.

Plug in those numbers and we're done!

Hm...

There's another icon on the screen now...

Yes there is.

We know what to do.

The screens changed!

There's a different word on each one.
I'd guess we're supposed to shuffle them around until they make a sentence.

How?

Well, look at the screen underneath them.
It's got the same words in nine squares.

So I'm supposed to use that console to move the words around?

That would be my guess.

Okay. Let's give this a shot, then.

Sure enough, we can swap stuff around, but not into any sensible configuration.

Evidently this has to do with the words on the two screens from the other consoles, but...

Get a hold of yourself.
I'm discounting on you.

Hey!

In even lazier form than the rest of this room, the next hint doesn't even come from Phi, but from the game itself.

I guess that box of nine seperate switches was like that for a reason, huh? Let's go back there.

Oh. Right. Well, I guess we're going to have to turn the lights back on.

Much better. These six switches correspond to the screens containing the words we need.

And accordingly, we can solve the puzzle!

Yeah, looks like you got it. Good work.

Nothing's changed, though.
Well, at least, not here.

Yeah. Take a look at the screens up on the wall.

You'll never guess what it is.

Good work, Sigma. I've been waiting for this.

And all the screens power down.

Like most other things in this room, the hidden puzzle is boring and arbitrary and not really very difficult.

We just power up all the screens we didn't use...

...And make the only possible sentence that makes any kind of syntactic sense.

Which is...

...Huh.

Look! The screens changed!

You'd think after the fourth time they'd be used to this.

Just to see if it changes anything, I turned off the lights again.

It doesn't.

Yeah.

In keeping with the room generally, there's nothing apart from the key and the star cards in the safe. Also, I like their enthusiasm.

Not even going to bother with the dialogue for picking the stuff up.

And of course, the hidden password goes in too.

It opened.

So it did.

:geno:

Let's get the hell out of this boring-rear end room.

Oh, for gently caress's--

They're doing this deliberately, aren't they?

I'm gonna open it, okay? You ready?

Yes, of course I am! Get on with it!

Right, here we go then.
Three... two... one!

Thank gently caress.

Only one thing can relieve my boredom: Some more hidden files.

Floor B Graffiti:

Hourglass:

Gentlepoints:

In reference to this dialogue line, from shortly before the second AB Game:

Give me a little credit!
No one has more gentlepoints than me. You think someone of my stature would resort to violence?! The nerve!

Floor B Hallway Locks:

Principle of Causality:

Knox's Ten Commandments:

Funfact: While I've generally been selectively not showing certain files due to them restating boring details or covering things that are about to be shown in the next cutscene (eg, there's a file restating Zero's Supplementary AB Game Rules), this room's file collection marks the first time I'm hiding a file from you because it spoils a far-off plot element.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 12, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I was going to make a post earlier about how this room reminded me of the Captain's Quarters from 999 but I forgot.

Turns out that goes even further, since aside from all the plot-related things that happen in that room, that room is just as boring as this one. :geno:

EDIT: Also I know Knox's Ten Commandments applies more to detective fiction but reading them while thinking about 999 and VLR is utterly hilarious.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 13, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game and 999 might break almost every single one of Knox's rules, but only in letter. In spirit they uphold it. That's because they do involve the paranormal, but explain it so that it is internally consistent and almost every reveal is properly foreshadowed so there's no "cheating."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

That is a Professor Layton reference if I ever saw one.

I honestly can't tell if these terms are real things in-universe or just tongue-in-cheek, though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

See my previous statements re: gently caress this room. The thing that threw me off is that you just expect passwords to be actual words, and I spent some considerable time trying to merge the unused steps with the used steps to try and come up with those words before the game just said to plug the letters in as they were.

Incidentally this is why having the 3DS version to have the notepad always on the top screen is so nice.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I haven't played the game, but I can't be the only one who figured out the hourglass puzzle just by looking at them. I solved it before I even saw the play button on the screenshot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It took me forever to come up with the idea that you could actually turn those screens back off. I was very perplexed as to why SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING. I WAS YOU WILL BE ME. wasn't working. :saddowns:

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
I just checked (because I was curious as to what the spoiler was) and apparently I'd never solved the 'She knows everything.' solution, even though I remember trying it out several times? I might've made the same mistake of 'have all screens on'.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
"I was you. You will be me. She knows everything"

Well that's foreshadowing if I ever saw it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

It took me forever to come up with the idea that you could actually turn those screens back off. I was very perplexed as to why SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING. I WAS YOU WILL BE ME. wasn't working. :saddowns:

Took me forever as well, I had to wait for my brother to wake up (yay timezones and odd sleep schedules) to tell me how because DAMNED if I was going to allow the temptation of looking up a walkthrough. There's a few other places where I got completely stuck for "obvious in hindsight" reasons.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, yeah, and originally, Rule #5 in Knox's Commandments was "no Chinamen." Not because of his own racism, necessarily, but because the typical "Yellow Peril" type villainy (y'know, Fu Manchu and all that) was way too "bogeyman of the month" and would immediately make certain characters way too singled out as likely suspects. Substitute some sort of easily-vilified ethnicity in the modern era for something similar (who would be vilified would depend on where you live, of course...)

No "Killerman was the real killer!?" stuff, essentially.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Holy crap, you can rotate those hourglasses in the puzzle? I feel dumb, because I just eyeballed them and guessed until I was right.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Fedule posted:

Technically, our team is Sigma (7BP, Magenta Pair), Phi (7BP, Magenta Pair) and Luna (7BP, Green Solo), but unfortunately Luna can't join us today because somebody murdered her.
All I could think of when I read this line was :smith:

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I haven't played the game, but I can't be the only one who figured out the hourglass puzzle just by looking at them. I solved it before I even saw the play button on the screenshot.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. I was a little confused for the next couple of explanation lines because I figured the obvious answer was "count the lines" and so it took me a couple of extra seconds to get that you were supposed to spin them around and watch them trickle down. Talk about a time sink.

Calibur.
Calibur.
Obviously a reference to Excalibur. Right? Right?
:rant: English these days, can't get anyone to spell things right.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Speedball posted:

This game and 999 might break almost every single one of Knox's rules, but only in letter. In spirit they uphold it. That's because they do involve the paranormal, but explain it so that it is internally consistent and almost every reveal is properly foreshadowed so there's no "cheating."
Rule 9 is the fun one when you consider everything is viewed from a specific character's perspective, as it's them who have to be the stupid friend who vocalises everything. See also: Phoenix Wright.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Minor gripe: in the books (and some TV adaptations such as Elementary or Jeremy Brett's series from the 90s) Watson is not stupid. Not as smart as Holmes, but not stupid, and often delivers the "explanation to the reader" as explaining it to some other person in the room who hasn't caught up or, in the case of the books, directly to the reader.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meirlkor posted:

Calibur.
Calibur.
Obviously a reference to Excalibur. Right? Right?
:rant: English these days, can't get anyone to spell things right.

Actually, it's a misspelling of caliber, meaning one's importance or status. Calm yourself.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
By the way, when I was replaying the room escapes shown in the LP for the archive files I missed on my 3DS version, I noticed that the passwords were different. Does it vary by version or is it randomised per playtrhough, with the puzzles requiring solving to earn them?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Randomized for each playthrough.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
But nothing prevents you from playing through a room on Easy, getting the passwords, and then reloading to the start of that room and entering the passwords on Normal for more delicious files, if I recall correctly.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Ometeotl posted:

Holy crap, you can rotate those hourglasses in the puzzle? I feel dumb, because I just eyeballed them and guessed until I was right.
Same here, same here. And because of that, I missed one of those math puzzles I love so much.

After getting the hidden solution, I was a bit pissed at Sigma for not interrogating Phi right there and then. I mean, who else could this "She" be? Her being so secretive all the way didn't help, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I hope Sigma and Phi turn out to be robots, at least it would make their names better.

• Locked thread