Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Man, Clover has the absolute worst luck. This is her third Nonary game, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jeek posted:

As an aside, since Alice appears at the true end of 999, it implies two things:

1. VLR occurs before or at the same time as 999; and
2. Alice will be alive at the true end of VLR (it would be a paradox if the true end in one game does not happen in another game of the same series).

Counterpoint: Zero III. It really makes absolutely no sense for whoever is behind the rabbit to base their name on a pseudonym that hasn't been used yet.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Why is Clover acting surprised? That's exactly what happened last time!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

On the other hand, a real Egyptian from 2000 years ago shouldn't sound like they're from Nebraska. There isn't even a narrative note along the lines of "Sigma noticed that Alice had a strange accent, but couldn't place it". (Plus my personal opinion is that "Egyptians invented magic ice 2000 years ago and froze someone alive and they're okay" is really dumb.)

Keep in mind that this is a sequel to a game where the entire plot was based on a preteen girl saving her own life by using telepathy to talk to her best friend from the future, then setting up the events so said best friend would be in position for that to happen.

A character being instant-frozen to magic unmelting ice levels is frankly less insane than that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
In the interest of keeping Alice and Clover together for right now, Magenta.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

lotus circle posted:

What, no annoying map movement gif that goes on for way too long and can't be skipped at all? These poor people who never played the game will now never know the joy of having to wait through dots moving on a blueprint map, without being able to skip it the first time through.

Still not as bad as 999's d-pad fastforward, but still awful.

It's even worse than that, really. Because of the specifics of what happens around the dots moving around, you fairly frequently have to watch it happen even if you've already seen it before.

This gets especially annoying if you, like me, are a crazy person and marathon the game. That time adds up, especially during some of the more egregious dot moving segments.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

bumble posted:

God, this part had me stumped for longer than I care to admit because I didn't realize the order of the drinks was important. Even finally solving it was frustrating, because I was sure this puzzle was going to lead me to the fourth hemi-hemisphere I had missed instead of optional bonus content. :doh:

njsykora posted:

I was the same, not noticing the perspective of the note can throw you quite a bit. Of course the frustration of the drink mixing doesn't make it any easier.
Yeah, I had a stupid amount of trouble here, too, definitely in part because I didn't take that into consideration. I probably spent more on that optional puzzle than the rest of the room combined.

Also, I didn't lay things out neatly like Fedule did, so I fumbled my way into figuring out who lied. That didn't help.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
EDIT: Nevermind, it was on my end. Disregard.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 1, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alberenza posted:

Ahh, but if they opened the AB rooms we would have heard an announcement telling us that they had been opened.

Incidentally, the P.A. system dialogue is never skippable, if I remember correctly. It's pretty annoying.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Keep in mind, guys, outside of cases like Clover and Alice, most of these people are complete strangers. K is even more of a stranger, because you can't tell what K's gender is, and you don't have K's real name, either.

Can you really trust these people?

EDIT: In the interest of full disclosure, I have played the game, so to be clear, I'm not trying to influence your decisions here. I'm just curious.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 3, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I always loved these moments, before I got the game I had the jist of "You'll have to choose ally and betray" and figured "pft I'll just treat it as part of the story who cares." but when the prompt showed up and I had to make the call I found myself laughing and actually conflicted. It's really really exciting.

There was no conflict with me. I decided I was just going to ally constantly.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Terper posted:

Yeah, and Quark has the other blue Pair, which means we're gonna team up with that backstabbing, lying little bastard. :tinfoil:

If you're referring to that animated gif with the updated numbers, that was from before the colors changed (note Sigma still being red.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's...really not a spoiler to suggest that the results of the first round of the AB game will be different when the opponents are different. Keep in mind that every pair/solo combination changes when you take the other doors. That's not a spoiler, Phi pointed that out before we chose the Magenta door.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fat Samurai posted:

24,009,004,897?

Ok, that has to be something, but googling it seems a very bad idea if you want to avoid spoilers. It isn't random, because it is a prime number.

I remember this being in the OP, but it bears repeating: do not google anything related to this game. You will be spoiled.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Medieval Medic posted:

Supposing this works out: Quark has 8 points; Sigma and Luna have 7 points; Dio and K have 6 points; Phi has 5 points; Tenmyouji and Clover have 4 points; Alice has 3.

That would put Quark at 9 points, actually.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

slowbeef posted:

Actually VLR gets Prisoner's Dilemma a little wrong. Double betrayal should hurt both the prisoners (but less so than being betrayed). As it stands, double betrayal doesn't really do anything to the "prisoners."

I know someone's going to argue they're racing to get 9 before other people, and "technically" hurt, but if you're looking at the Ambidex Game on its own (i.e. outside of the Nonary Game proper), it's not a great form of PD. And actually, I do think it would've made the game more interesting if double betrayal lost both parties 1 point or something, but you'd probably have to tweak the numbers a bit.

I disagree, I think +/- 0 is appropriate for mutual betrayal. Consider that they are essentially in a race to 9 points. Losing points is the worst thing that can happen, and will kill you if you lose enough of them. Fail to escape, which is possible, and you are effectively dead. You aren't killed immediately like if you go below 0 points, but the number 9 door only opens once. Once it closes, escape is not possible. You will die in that facility.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

slowbeef posted:

I covered that in my post.

Looking over it again, yeah, you did. Unfortunately, taking the AB game out of the context of the Nonary Game as a whole (and the penalty of failing to escape) isn't a good idea.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

slowbeef posted:

Uh... I think you missed the whole point of my post!

Hm, maybe I did. I'm just pointing out that, by keeping the AB Game in context of the Nonary Game, while a net neutral is a lesser punishment than a loss of points, it's still a punishment and thus appropriate.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

slowbeef posted:

You know what else? If you end up with two opponents with 1 BP each, they have no choice but to betray. There's not enough gain to ally in the chance you get screwed over, and it becomes a pointless option.

But if both opponents have 1 BP, and double-betrayal loses them 1 BP... guess what? Well, now they have to ally with each other right? Or they'll both die.

...Except, you know... You do have that "guarantee" they'll pick Ally. And that'd net you +3 BP and you're that much farther from death... ...wait, poo poo. Aren't they thinking that about you too?

Welcome back to Prisoner's Dilemma.

In this situation if your opponent picks betray you're dead regardless of your choice. There is no real dilemma, your decision just becomes "do I kill the rear end in a top hat too or give him some safety?"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

slowbeef posted:

Yeah but with stakes being what they are, it's best for both of you to pick Ally.

Neither of you can guarantee it and save yourselves.

That's the dilemma.

My perspective says that at the 1 BP level, leaving it at 0 points changed actually introduces a dilemma. See, in that case you have some agency. If your opponent picks betray, and you pick ally, you're hosed. But if you pick betray you're safe (and can potentially gain more points than ally, even!) but you stand a chance of killing your also-1point partner.

In the case of -1, my perspective is "if he picks betray, I'm dead regardless, so I may as well pick ally" or "If he picks betray, I'm dead regardless, and I never liked him anyways, so I may as well pick Betray." There's no guarantee of salvation, but there IS a guarantee of death if your opponent picks betray, which completely removes your agency.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

slowbeef posted:

edit: Is there a graceful way I can bow out of this til tomorrow? I'm tired and I forgot why this was so important five minutes ago.

I get the feeling I'd just more or less quote myself if this went on anyways, so feel free. I see your point, I just don't really agree with it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

LateToTheParty posted:

So do the interactions between characters in this part change if you have a different partner or is it always the same outcome?

Some of the interactions are based on the results of the AB game, which, as mentioned before, do change based on your partner and your vote. Not all of them, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BKPR posted:

Looking back, the thing that most annoyed me about this game was this:

This dumb pose. Almost any time Clover is speaking and she isn't scared or angry, she makes this stupid pose.

That pose is dumb, but Dio's shrug pose is way worse.

FEdit: Honestly, Clover's forward bow pose was worse for me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Count Bleck posted:

I like how Clover's posing bothers people more than her attire.

What even the gently caress is that in her hair?

You get used to her character design quickly, but it is ludicrous (Alice's is even worse, honestly.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

judgementbringer posted:

I'm pretty sure he keeps snacks and stuff in those. Practical, but very goofy.

Also, from the poll, it looks like the LP is going down the same path I took in my first playthrough. And I find this hilarious, for some reason.

I'm really happy that it's going down that route, too; happy and amused.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kgummy posted:

It's clearly like those drink hats, and he's got juice or something in them. He just hasn't taken out the straws.

Or they're antenna/trasmitters so that he can talk to Zero III using only his mind.

Most likely we're going on a terrible end path. Why would Quark have to respond immediately? On the other hand, it could be him realizing that on the path we're on, everyone will die. He starts freaking out right after K and Ten arguing/the chromatic door '1 minute' announcement. I'm guessing that key to not everyone dying is K and Ten getting along. At least, getting along for now. Since there's apparently a ton of endings to this game, it would make sense if Quark wouldn't be able to remember all of what happens right away.

Look at what he said closely. Poulpe quoted the relevant part a few posts up, but I'll post it here anyways:

Quark posted:

No... No, that's not it...
Don't you get it?
We aren't going to die...
We have to die...
We have to die here...
All of us...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Justin_Brett posted:

If we're doing all the paths methodically you may as well push thoughts of the endings from your mind, because it's going to take a while.

It'll take even longer if we don't. :v:

Which is why I'm curious when Fedule will take over, if ever.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Basically, Kgummy, I was emphasizing the "we have to die" lines. Read into it what you will, I suppose.

judgementbringer posted:

You know, I love seeing all the theories that come up in these threads. There is little to no actual information to go on, but so much speculation already. We've only seen what amounts to about an hour or so of game time. It's great. :allears:

I'm just sad I can't be a part of it, since I have the game and have already seen all the endings.

Posting in this thread while in the know is really hard, yeah. I'm trying to mostly stick to making sure people aren't accidentally misreading things, I guess.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 13, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nidoking posted:

I realize it and have a collection of posts bookmarked so I can quote them at appropriate times.

I look forward to seeing this.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nidoking posted:

Well, given the time of day at which updates tend to be posted, I'll probably be beaten to the punch each time. My only hope is that people will forget what they've said, particularly in terms of throwaway lines, and seeing their words quoted will surprise them.

Depending on the content of the posts in question and the direction Fedule chooses to take this LP once he picks up his first ending, it could very well be a long time before we reach that point. I wouldn't be surprised if they did wind up forgetting.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I don't remember having too much trouble with this room, but there was one observable thing that I kept clicking because it seemed like Sigma just wouldn't shut up about it, and that was wonderful.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

legoman727 posted:

Really, this has been what all the "wink wink nudge nudge Luna's the best character" has been about?

She's nowhere near as obnoxious as June, but still. Kinda boring really.

No, you won't be getting that for a very long time. This is why this is the best route though. Well, for right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fallord posted:

This is unnecessary.

He asked a question. I wanted to say more than just "no." :shobon:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GeneralYeti posted:

Please just say "no." The whole "oh boy you guys will love this character wink wink nudge nudge this is the best storyline" kind of crap is really irritating.

That was not what I was trying to do, but welp, I guess it came out that way. Sorry. Let's just move on now.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Livingtrope posted:

Crap, I didn't realize the letters were called out like that. I actually used the poster to solve the puzzle. Knowing that would have been a great time-saver.

Neither did I. I'm pretty sure I examined the robots pretty closely, too, but oh well. I got the puzzle down pretty easily- if slowly. Taking notes on the Vita is not ideal, especially since you have to hit back like six times to close files.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

AshtonDragon posted:

G-OLM is the best character in this game. Not close.

I could not agree more. I don't know if it's just because Xenoblade instilled a great love of British robots in me or what, but I loving love G-OLM. He's the best. :allears:

EDIT: Oh god I did not remember Luna aping the accent when asking about what he meant. That's hilarious.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 19, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kangra posted:

Mentioned it in the 999 thread, and it seems even more relevant now: If you're interested in this stuff, The Mind's I (edited by Daniel Dennett and Douglas Hofstadter) is a nice collection of stories/articles/papers that deal with this subject. It includes Searle's Chinese Room as well as Dennett's own "Where Am I?" (which discusses a disconnection of perception, control, and consciousness as GOLM was on about), along with a few other items of interest like the Turing Test and Dawkins's invention of the meme.

The mention of numeric puns made me think of something -- was 999 itself supposed to be a pun? (san kyu i.e. 'thank you' which would be an appropriate message from the past) I don't really know if that's the actual title or if in Japanese it would be read that way, but the note on the name code made me think it could well be.

999's actual title (in English) is Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, so no, that wouldn't be a pun. I don't know its Japanese title.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

quote:

This right here is a good example of Clover's smile being part of her default model making her look weird and wrong. Such a weird decision on the developers' part.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lady Charlemagne posted:

Could someone simplify the timeline with the old woman and the rooms? I'm having trouble following it.

Sure.

1) Old Woman gets stabbed.
2) Old Woman gets thrown into Luna's AB room.
3) Luna's room gets moved to the far left.
4) After the Lounge, Phi and Sigma find the Old Woman's corpse.

EDIT: Also, as a note: as mentioned in the game, 3 presumably happened while Sigma, Phi, and Luna were in the Lounge, which suggests that someone other than Luna moved her room.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Color Printer posted:

Given Zero III's comment on how anyone who tries to sneak out will be penalized (that is, killed by the bracelet), I would assume any bracelet that didn't have 9 points would immediately dispense their payload when they passed through the door, even if that person used a 9-point bracelet that wasn't theirs to open the door.

EDIT: You know, provided there isn't a trick or two like last time.

Yep, pretty much. I went through the logic (and prepared to post the thought process, but decided against that), and basically the only real threat to a loose bracelet (ignoring any trickery) is someone picking it up that somehow doesn't have their own bracelet.

• Locked thread