Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just finished catching up with this thread and finished reading the 999 LP earlier.

One thought I've had on my mind this whole time is: Is it just me or does this whole 3rd Nonary Game give me weird Metal Gear Solid 2 vibes? As in, this whole thing is some weird meta-VR simulation of the previous Nonary Game to do... Something. However, this Zero Sr. doesn't really "get" the point of the second Nonary game and is using this one to fulfill some sadistic mind game in pushing peoples' buttons until they devolve into murdering each other or committing suicide. In other words, I think this Zero Sr. is basically an amateur psychotic grabbing at coattails once he (she?) discovered the existence of the previous games. That, or this game is meant to filter out the people with Radical-6 antibodies - ie, survival of the fittest (re: Sigma's observation in the last game about Species A and B).

The characters in this Nonary Game seem to match up really well with the participants in the second Nonary Game (e.g. Dio's foul language and snark :: Santa or Lotus; Luna's sweet demeanor :: June; K :: Snake or Seven; unknown dead woman :: 9th man who dies immediately).

Something is awfully suspicious about all of this. I smell a rat for sure.

Also, definitely planning on buying a Nintendo 3DS and this game by the end of November! :D

[e]: Another thing: the fact that Zero/Akane had a common connection to everyone was an integral piece in the puzzle in bringing everything together and solving the mystery in 999. The developer most likely knows that previous players of 999 might be expecting this twist, so the inversion would be that this Zero Sr. actually has nothing to do with the current participants other than to fulfill a sick murder-game psychological experiment while there's nothing else to do due to the apocalypse on-going outside this bunker a la GlaDOS, so why not re-run the same game over a few million times to pass the time and have some fun? I honestly think any repeat plot devices from 999 are actually red herrings, hence the meta-VR element.

[e2]: To point an example: in the previous game, Lotus was a red herring for being Zero due to how easily and willing she was to gently caress other people over to make sure at least a handful of people survived (re: the hospital bed scene in one of the story paths). She's practically asking to be labeled the murderer, but she actually is innocent.

Now we expect the same with Dio. Surprise! He actually is a scummy rear end in a top hat undermining everyone else to save his own skin!

So, I would automatically distrust any parallels with 999 as immediate red herrings.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

HelloWinter posted:

Yay! Now I can finally post this gif animation thing I made way back when!

Could someone please make this into an avatar? This is just so... Wonderful. :allears:

[e]: It's doubly satisfying to see Dio's face being punched in over and over again.

Granolaman posted:

Presumably we're dead, and most likely we are, but I'm still gonna hang on to the hope that Siggy cuts of his arm/slides something solid between his wrist and the needles/constructs the world's largest lever and snaps the thing off.

Seriously, have these guys never seen a Saw movie?

I agree, wouldn't that give Sigma and company just enough time to sever his hand to avoid being poisoned and suffocating to death? I'd rather lose my hand than my life, to be quite honest.

[e2]: Also, does anyone know what Kotaro Uchikoshi had in mind originally for the sequel considering the higher-ups supposedly told him to tone it down after 999?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 1, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
[e]: Sorry, double post.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Slowbeef posted:

I will crack skulls if ya'll start making cat puns.

That would be CATastrophic! :suicide:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just got VLR in the mail after reading this Let's Play, I hope you all are happy. :colbert:

...Oh god, I need to know what happens next! :f5:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Endorph posted:

Well, what would he do there, exactly? Does spike even have an American/localization branch? I doubt fan-translationg a game qualifies you to design/write the next one.

No, but it could make for some great resume/portfolio fodder, at the least. Didn't Tomato of Starmen.net/Mother 3 fame essentially do the same thing with other Japanese -> English translations?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Green Intern posted:

Looking forward to Alice freezing solid at the most inopportune moment.

What if she is the killer and she uses body freezing to fool people into believing she is killed by the "killer"? :tinfoil:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder who the villain among the players will be this time around.

It's you.

Literally you, the player, are the villain.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wow, never thought I'd see the day, Fedule. :suspense:

Bravo, well done, bravo! Now go indulge in the vice of your choice to all known limitations!

E: Also recommend sending this thread to the Goldmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fedule posted:

That's nice of you to say, but this thread is definitely not going to the goldmine. It will be going to the LP Archive when I get my poo poo together, though.

(LP Threads are very, very rarely goldmined, for a couple of reasons which have shifted in priority order somewhat over the years but are all basically still true. The big one, though, is that the goldmine exists so that incredibly good threads remain freely accessible forever (ie, they will never be paywalled or require an archive account), but the LP Archive makes basically every SA LP available forever anyway. I only know of three LP threads which were goldmined; supergreatfriend's Deadly Premonition, Chip & Ironicus' Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Covski's Rock Paper Scissors.)

Yes, but doesn't that archiving format strip away all the Goon comments which takes away a lot of the fun of seeing the shock and surprise of first-timer newbies from an outside perspective? :ohdear:

Either way, you do you. It's totally your right to format it as you please. You've more well than earned it.

• Locked thread