Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just bought X-Plane 11 and have a little money to drop, are there any visual enhancements that are a must-buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry for double, but is anyone still loving with Air Goons in FSEconomy?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tater_salad posted:

I fly fse about once a month or so.. I haven't done anything for the goons in awhile.

Ah, okay! I'm loving around with Ortho4XP and trying to get some sort of persistence going so I don't need to fill my hard drive with .DDS files and stick around one reasonably sized area.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archived, sadly. I would love to IL-2 with some goons, even if that means just 1946.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cowboy elvis posted:

Ok so good info on the WW2 sims. I bought X-Plane 11 instead because reasons.

XP11 supports FSEconomy (and I'm trying to get it to work with SimBuddy), I'd love to get that going again!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw Dunkirk last night and I was forced to finally pull the trigger on getting a HOTAS setup - the Logitech Saitek X-52 Pro with rudder pedals. Is it terribly hard to set up?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

Logitech isn't Saitek, but anyway, the ease of configuration depends heavily on the game you're using. What are you planning to fly?

Mainly IL-2:BoS and XPlane 11 with some DCS here and there

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tater_salad posted:

logitech x3d pro is also pretty good and decently inexpensive.

I have had one of these for a while, it's pretty good for basic stuff but for me I've been looking to upgrade.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you just have to get your "VR legs" over a period of time. I started out being a bit sensitive to it in stuff like DIRT Rally and House of the Dying Sun, but now I'm doing real buckwild poo poo in IL2:BoS and Echo Arena and I don't get it at all. I really do think it's something that goes away over time.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the other hand, I had a friend who flipped out when they came over and saw the intricate set of wires running up my walls and ceiling so I could spin around forever like an idiot with a giant plastic brick attached to my skull for the sole purpose of punching 10-year-olds in the head

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It says it's only $45 on the store right now, is it worth it for that? Is it compatible with my X-52 Pro? http://www.overflandersfields.com/store.html

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosapiant posted:

So I have an Oculus Rift, an x52, and currently play games like Elite: Dangerous and a bit of Freespace 2. Aside from loving with Chuck Yeager's flight simulator when I was a kid, I have zero experience in flight sims. What might be a good game to get started in learning the ropes? I don't care if it's combat oriented or not, or what time period. Just something immersive I can sink my teeth in and see if I like it. Any recommendations?

X-52 Rift goon here, I have IL-2:BoS/M/K with the Pat Wilson Campaign Generator and if you turn the settings down and bind a key to hide the hud, you can get a lot out of it with the Rift.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo it's only $9.99 on steam and appears to have an rear end ton of content!

Rise of Flight has like $178 of DLC. I know this because I bought it all. IL-2 can also get really pricy with DLC, it's up to you to see if that's really what you want.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cool new Metroid game posted:

I got a used surface pro 3 a month or two back and it'd be awesome to use that for manhandling radio stacks or gps units for fsx. I see a bunch of poo poo for ipads and android tablets but not windows touchscreen devices (over network). is there any poo poo out there that'll let me do that? bonus points if it's free or cheap (lol as if)

I use Simbuddy for XPlane, it's like 5 bucks a month and I haven't used it in forever, but it works really well.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thief posted:

lol one day we will have fully ragdolled cargo holds

Star Citizen is never coming out

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tide posted:

holy crap, i had forgotten about that game...

is it really never coming out? :ohdear:

There is a lengthy thread in the Stupid Crowdfunding Achievement Mausoleum covering the hype around an alpha patch in extended detail

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I mainly just jump into IL-2 hot start, easy custom settings and a podcast going nowadays. I don’t even have pedals anymore!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lobsterminator posted:

I played some IL2 Battle of Stalingrad and it was ok, but mainly it just made me feel like playing IL2 1946 again. So there I go installing it and 30GB VP modpack and have had a lot of fun being shot down by 109s.

Still haven't gotten back to civilian sims, but the Aerosoft DC-8 interests me somewhat:

https://www.aerosoft.com/en/flight-simulation/prepar3d/aircraft/2381/douglas-dc-8

That plane still has proper steam systems and not just boring computers.

What is this mod pack you speak of

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a fat ultra wide, it’s an absolute must for flight Sims if you don’t feel like jacking into the Rift.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DogonCrook posted:

Was ultrawings the nintendo series? I kept thinking it was pilotwings maybe that was the first?

Ultrawings is a separate VR game that is pretty rad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally reinstalled Strike Fighters 2, does anyone have a good list of essential mods anywhere I could refer to?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kilonum posted:

I can get you NATO Fighters 5 without having to wait 3 days to do all the downloads

Awesome, just bought plat. Check your PMs.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Do what I did and merge all the mega mods that say "don't merge this with other mods" together into one unholy abomination that somehow runs surprising crash free and also gives you a bazillion planes to fly.

But off the top of my head the best ones are:

NATO Fighters 5

The Scandinavian Front

Operation Tainted Cigar (flying early 60s era navy jets like the Tiger and Skyray is awesome. Carriers bugging out and sailing through the Cuban jungle, less so)

Black Sea (early 90s so it's super duper lethal but you get AMRAAMs so that's nice).

Basically anything by JonathanRL or eburger on CombatAce is worth checking out in terms of Campaigns/big mods

Then slam them all together and use the campaign customizer to see how long you can survive in a 1986 Cold War gone hot scenario flying strike missions in an O-2 Skymaster.

Speaking of SF2 and CombatAce, I've never been able to totally figure it out but what's the deal with the whole The A-Team mod team and their refusal to host anything anywhere but their own lovely site with tons of restrictions? Like from what I can gather, if you can somehow get approved to access their website, you get banned if you accidentally queue up more than one download at a time.

All for some sorta good planes in a medium fidelity flight sim...

I tried logging into my old CombatAce account, which I guess got banned for inactivity or something, so I tried to make a new account, and that one got instant banned as well. I was gonna buy a membership! I have my own money now, damnit!

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 23, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I'm absolutely going to be an idiot and spend the 90 bones on the F-18 and Gulf map bundle when that drops. I have never learned how to fly a plane in DCS and I own like $300+ in DLC I never touched because I am a coward

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I met the woman who would become my wife, bought an Oculus Rift, and then we got married, and then I got a HOTAS, and she hasn't left me yet, so uh, whelp

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My father in law wanted to know if my HOTAS-ing was me learning to fly for real, and uh, didn't know how to explain it to him how my desires to historically accurately gun down Nazis over Stalingrad was more therapy than anything else

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually, funny story, my wife's first flight sim experience was a simulator in the NYC Intrepid museum, (based on a retired aircraft carrier) which is a cockpit that can spin around 360 degrees attached to a giant swinging arm. She was in the Player 1 seat and was immediately overwhelmed, she slapped the yellow button in the center console swapping the controls to me, and I swear to loving god, for what was only 3 actual minutes, I had the best hour of my loving life as I loving whipped around, did every loving pro maneuver I could dream of, and treated the jet like a needlepoint dream into any direction I could imagine as my wife was loving SCREAMING - "oh my god," "make it stop," "I want to get off," oh my loving god, I thought she was going to divorce me on the loving spot, I wish I could hop in that simulator and spend a loving day in there blasting through Strike Fighters 2. I felt so goddamn alive in a way I've never felt before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r9hlhF-u-E

You can see a demo of it here. It's loving incredible. Even more so when you're strapped in and feel like you're falling out of your seat.

Also I just wanna say the fanmade Battlestar Diaspora game was the best space game I've ever encountered. I wish it had Oculus Rift support.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 11, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got drat, that looks rad. I’m sold, hopefully it plays nice with a HOTAS.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shine posted:

They are working on using the Touch controllers to flip switches, but honestly that'll probably be awkward. We'll see.

Check out VTOL VR if you want an idea of what this would be like, it’s a whole combat flight sim designed for touch controls.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julius CSAR posted:

Wait, you rented an airplane in a game?

fseconomy lets you "rent" planes to take jobs. It's neat!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slidebite posted:

What are you guys doing for stands for your hotas? I build a thing out of PVC pipe a few years ago and it was sort of functional, but it's pretty big and clunky and not ideal.

Adjustable speaker stands, not perfect but gets the job done.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No VR support, no sale. Jumped into X-Plane 11 last night with some custom mountain scenery and a helicopter and had the time of my life with the Rift S.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow, ProjectFly seems neat. Doesn't have the Virtual Airline from SimBuddy but maybe that'll come in the future.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don’t really care what they do as long as it makes the maximum amount of people on the internet as mad as possible.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thief posted:

deadstick when?

when it's done

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really love my Rift S for flight sims, great resolution and price point. There’s some WMR options like the Lenovo Explorer and a bit cheaper if you’re just looking for the headset without touch controllers.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Nah the controllers being included is a plus since I would like to try some room scale stuff also even if it's primarily for flying fake planes.

Cool, then definitely get a Rift S.

Edit: check this out https://www.reddit.com/r/TinkerPilo...utm_name=iossmf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU8TM5ZFGh0

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 11, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Going back to previous VR discussions, the Rift will have hand and finger tracking come early next year, which may resolve one of the biggest issues with playing sims in VR.

The Quest will have finger/hand tracking. With lower visual quality and lag with a tethered cable. So you would lose readability compared to the Rift S, which will not get hand/finger tracking. I’m keeping my Rift S, it hits a sweet spot as a sim VR headset that the Quest’s tethering isn’t going to make obsolete.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Has anyone used both the Rift and Rift S?

My rift is starting to break and while I’m sure it’s cheaper to fix it, it might be a good excuse for an S this holiday season. I don’t think I can justify an Index. I just wonder if the readability of text and things is worth the upgrade or if it’s slight? And also if it runs comparably well or if it’s significantly harder to render for.

Yeah I have both. The Rift S is a massive step up in clarity, you can actually read the cockpit panels now. Love it for flight simming and the price point is a nice sweet spot. No cameras either.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hadlock posted:

I thought Rift S was just EOL'd

Not really, the Quest updates aren’t going to bring it to parity if you wanna look at cockpit panels and not do the hunchback squint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I have a Rift S and its an incredibly sharp and clear image, especially compared to the OG Rift, its only going to get better with time. Not shipping with VR support (or at least planning to have it down the line) would be a massive mistake.