Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Anyone used to play Jane's WW2 fighters? That and il2 1946 are probably my two fav Sims ever. Jane's just had the best sound design and feel. I used to set up AI tank battles and just watch em fight and listen to the awesome music. iL2 was hours of multiplayer fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Oh ha ha look how cool this flight sim nerd is, those sjw's are so dumb and he is someone I totally take seriously!

The fact that he's a mil-sim moron is icing on the cake.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Has anyone heard anything about a dev kit?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Should I buy msfs on steam or thru Microsoft?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Taintrunner posted:

Starting to think this photogrammetry stuff was a bad crutch to fall back on.

Tbh remember what it would be before? Just a grainy city texture with some randomized buildings plopped on top. I think it's great from what I'm seeing, wish I could afford it right now!

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Wooooo I can finally get this gaaaame. Super excited. :)

I've been reading the cool stuff and teachings you guys have been sharing in the thread. I have a pilot's license so I'd love to share what knowledge I remember! :)

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Grumio posted:

The new IL-2 series, aka the "Great Battles" series (Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Kuban etc) is excellent. While it's not full clicky cockpit like DCS, it's a great sim with great graphics, feeling of flight and damage models.

The original Battle of Stalingrad is seen as the base game, and it's a good starting point. From there it depends on what era/theatre you fancy- Battle of Kuban covers ~1943 in the caucuses, while the new hotness is Battle of Bodenplatte, focusing on the western front in late 1944-early 1945. I'd lean towards the latter, it's what the most popular servers tend to use these days.

You just missed a big sale, but odds are there'll be another one in a month or two, so you can grab it for cheaper.

We don't have organized events, but there are usually goons flying several times a week in the evenings on the airgoons discord and happy to show you the ropes

Don't forget to mention the absolutely top-of-class VR integration.

Unfortunately the multiplayer aspect is kind of crap, because it's a lot of full-real servers that have you flying around for 20 minutes without engaging anyone because there's no icons and the fields are spaced far apart. It's not like the old IL-2 1946 servers which were basically AirQuake and I miss that.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Holy poo poo this game is awesome. I love the weekly challenges concept. Truly next gen gaming and bringing flight simulators in general into the modern era.

EDIT: Also does anyone know any good tuts for the SDK?

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 27, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Weed Wolf posted:

I've been using the ones over on these forums https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/msfs2020.155/ since the MS based documentation is pretty bad.

Is aircraft creation in yet?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

So when I fly around I see a lot of nametags close by but no planes. Why is that? I don't have "use optimized planes" checked on for multiplayer but I have only seen two actual aircraft nearby, despite the tag distance being less than a few thousand feet.

Also is there any global chat?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Gasoline posted:

There's already tutorials for how to rip Google maps stuff and put it in MSFS. People are mostly doing landmarks right now

Links?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

hannibal posted:

msfsaddons.org
reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/

Thanks!

Took some pics https://imgur.com/a/n9nWcuJ. Had some fun exploring the Chittagong Shipbreaking yards, running out of fuel and having to make a forced landing.

After that I went to Thailand and explored the damage modeling! ;) Lol.

The amazing thing about this simulation to me is how many moments I've discovered of casual beauty like this. Just, wow. An absolute step forward in creating a parallel visual reality.

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 29, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Here's the manual for the GPS in the Robin; Garmin 430:

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GNS430_PilotsGuide.pdf

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I've been really enjoying experimenting with the aircraft systems but I'm way past the basics of flying.

I know a big part of the traditional sim crowd is the systems management of jets, doing proper approaches etc. I get that but I've never found it fun; that's why my combat sim of choice has always been IL2 and not DCS. I like the feeling of flight and skipping all the tedious stuff that makes flying more like an office job and MSFS2020 does that really well.

To be honest I think they made the right choice; people dropping in to learn how to fly are going to need to start with the GA aircraft, which they nailed. That's also the largest segment and is who will need the sort of tutorials they provided. If you're serious about learning how to fly a 747 tbh I don't think it's unreasonable to expect you to go online to learn it. They could have at least provided a curated list but again, you're learning to fly a modern jet; a set of cold and dark to flying to cold and dark tutorials for that alone is worth $60.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Yea that makes sense. Is there something with the G1000 I can help with? Maybe I've discovered it in my digging.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

MrYenko posted:

I think the huge amount of glass (and Rotax-powered light sport airplanes) is partially a function of Asobo being French. GA in Europe is an entirely different animal from the US, and it really shows in their selection of airplanes and avionics.

Also, I think a lot of people in the US GA community are boomer luddites, and their hatred of literally anything new is passed down instructor to instructor until you have 20 year olds recoiling at the thought of a 172 with a G1000 panel and singing the praises of dual CDIs and NDB approaches. A glass panel presents all the same information (and more,) is easier to scan, and generally includes autopilot and navigation functionality that is better than anything you could get twenty years ago in anything that didn’t say Airbus or Boeing on the side. No one is forcing you to use the autopilot or GPS.

Why yes, I just read a post on the MSFS forums bemoaning the lack of carb heat on the 172 (which is fuel injected,) why do you ask? :v:

Content: I flew the Virus for the first time today. I think it’s one of the best 3D models in the game; It’s just gorgeous inside. I’m also in love with the idea of a Light Sport airplane with a gently caress-off-huge speed brake handle over your head, and giant wing fences that make it drat near stop in the air. :black101:

The way I look at it you learn what a VOR is, what the OBS is for in relation to that, how GPS works and then you figure out the interfaces for interacting with those navigation tools. Like the Garmin 430 in the Robin is a UX nightmare but some quick skimming of the manual brought it back to me (to be fair I used something a lot like it if not the same model during my flight training).

That being said if you're going into it blank page it's really intimidating. It doesn't help that things are glitched sometimes so you can't be sure if you're doing the wrong behavior or the sim is being weird. Like I was pressing the buttons along the bottom of the display and only one of them worked; is that SOP or is that just the way it behaves?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Speaking of active pause bugs, it seems like gyroscopic precession continues while in an active pause.

The red arrow on the map is the direction indicated on the compass:

This was after a long pause;

...and as I'm typing this I have the game paused, and it looks like weather continues to change as well, which makes sense I guess if it's linked to real-world data like mine is set to - but notice the compass:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Oh if you don't already use it you need to have SkyVector;

https://skyvector.com/

...online VFR sectionals (charts)!

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Mokotow posted:

I had a flawless flight in the Airbus today, felt I’m finally having it do what I want. After the first flight, I decided to have another go, and this time the AP shat its pants at the start of a STAR, said “gently caress it” and flew HDG 360 almost slamming me into a hill. Landing by hand turned out to be impossible, with the airplane refusing to hold speed and/or descend. At this point it’s hard to say how much of it was my ineptitude, the APs shitiness and the flight model being questionable under duress.

I've noticed the AP likes to jam the elevator trim all the way forward. Check the external al view, bottom right corner to see where your trim is set.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Airplanes used to be way cheaper. Obviously there's inflation, but even in adjusted dollars, an average four-seat private plane in the 1960s cost about as much as a nice sports car, while today they cost as much as a house.

Hell, in 1949 you could go to a Macy's department store, walk up to the men's department, and there'd be an Ercoupe on display with a price tag of $2,700 (about $30k today). Pick one up with a couple of new suits and a briefcase and something nice for your wife.

(I would love to own or at least fly one of these)

A C172 today has more electronics than it used to, but it's the same general airplane as it was fifty years ago. I think most of the difference in price is just the reduced demand, and the reduced demand is because there are fewer pilots, and there are fewer pilots because it's expensive to get a license on your own -- it turns out that it's always cost the equivalent of about $100 an hour in 2020 dollars. The bubble that really grew American general aviation and made it affordable, of course, was the end of WW2 and the glut of airmen with goverment-funded pilot's licenses getting out of the service and looking for something to fly.

Reduced demand and a lawsuit explosion in the 1970s that drove up prices because families of pilots who didn't fly for fifteen years, jumped in a poorly maintained aircraft and then died were able to sue the manufacturers going back forever. That's why there's also hardly any new GA aircraft anymore younger than 1979 as well.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Hey can anyone help me with this please?

I tried to triangulate my position using two VORs but I think I’m doing something wrong?

Top VOR is tuned to TJRV’s, Nav2 is tuned to TIST’s.

Any help would be appreciated!

Linked because the image is huge:

https://imgur.com/a/folIi5a

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 8, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

MrYenko posted:

I found a couple instances of the same sort of displacement during the alpha. There’s something that’s not QUITE right about either the placement of VOR stations or the relationship between magnetic and true north. Given that you can often SEE the navaid on the ground, I suspect it’s the latter.

I’ve found a couple airways between VORs where swapping between stations on reciprocal bearings results in a 10-15° offset, which is extremely not-correct.

Ok I thought it might have to do with how they modeled magnetic declination but that should definitely not affect the VORs like this. Thanks! I'm really rusty on VOR NAV so I wasn't sure if it was me or the sim.

For all you folks who want to learn about this stuff; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magne...graphic%20North

In summary: magnetic declination is the difference between where the compass points to North and where North actually is. Across the planet, there is a variation (map included). So when you are setting a course (and someone correct me here if I'm wrong) by North then you have to add or subtract X number of degrees from your heading to make sure you're actually going the right way. For example, around the Caribbean it's about -14°. So if I was setting a course for heading 25, heading North East, I'd actually have to set my course to 25-14 = 11° to head the right way.

For example, this is setting the declination on a handheld compass: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/compass-declination.html#:~:text=Turn%20the%20compass%20over.,degrees%20West%20in%20this%20example).

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 8, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Bedurndurn posted:

I'm kind of confused. TJRV isn't a VOR? Your radio looks like it's set to 114.0, which is San Juan, 23.1 miles to the north west of where your bearing circle thing is.

Are you maybe over here?

That looks more right. I think I mistook the in-sim map to have a VOR location at TJRV: http://www.airnav.com/airport/TJRV.

But it looks like you're right, I was tuned into San Juan's VORTAC.

quote:

VOR radial/distance VOR name Freq Var
SJUr132/23.1 SAN JUAN VORTAC 114.00 11W
STTr269/35.9 ST THOMAS VOR/DME 108.60 10W

EDIT: What website is that?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Bedurndurn posted:

Skyvector in World Lo mode.

Ty!

Here is the corrected map:

EDIT: For the learners (and myself) - notice that the STT VOR is rotated to the left by about 13 degrees. This is due to Magnetic Declination. The declination in this area is around -13 to -14 °, so that was subtracted from the VOR's "True North" by SkyVector.

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 8, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

But in general it is extremely close to what the "feel" of flying is and the core of the sim seems very realistic. It seems like the errors are in some of the performance numbers for aircraft.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

First Time Caller posted:

all the major sims going back 10 years are going to feel realistic in terms of general flight mechanics

Not true. One of the biggest differences between MSFS2020/IL-2 Great Battles and MSFSX/IL-2 1946 is the addition of random micro wind forces. The way the aircraft will randomly bounce and sway due to small wind effects is something that only current-gen sims have. Also, MSFS2020 simulates updrafts from air hitting terrain and being pushed upwards, creating more turbulence. Older sims don't have any of this; they basically model macro forces only, like winds aloft and overall lift and moments of the aircraft in flight. Terrain is at least in my experience never included in weather calculations and micro-variations are definitely not in.

Go load up the older sims and you'll find that in even the smallest aircraft you generally fly straight as an arrow and your course will only be perturbed by large wind movements. Even gusts will generally not cause aircraft to "wobble" much. The general effect of the old sims is this kind of detached numerical method of flying (more so MSFSX than IL-2: 1946, which did a better job with the "feel" but not as good as IL-2: GB) where the aircraft may technically be performing correctly but it's so predictable it doesn't feel real.

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 8, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I said come in! posted:

Okay so after playing some more, I think the issue ended up being that I don't understand how to actually use the Yoke controller. It's not as simple as just pointing the plane up/down, left/right, but the other buttons on the steering wheel are also necessary in order to keep your plane in the air. Basically the nose trim was completely wrong and needed to be adjusted on the fly.

I've noticed that the sim likes to jam your trim all the way forward if you engage autopilot or switch aircraft using the Dev commands.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

So what I've started doing while working is set up a flight, throw it on autopilot or trim the plane out, then leave it on a second screen while I work and listen to music. Pretty calming and good for the microsecond distractions I like to have (better than searching for a good Youtube video).

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

skooma512 posted:

If y'all want a nice clean place to practice without a lot of objects to lag or distract you, Midway island has a nice long airstrip at PMDY and almost nothing else out there. Plus since the runway is just about sea level it makes altitude math a little easier.

Also shout out to St. Croix in the USVI. Huge 10k runway, Class D airspace. Lots of VORs around as well - good for practice for everything.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

So while loving with the fuel valve selector in the 930 I hit something or grabbed something and all my oil pressure went to 0 and my engine stopped developing thrust. Anyone know what I might have done?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Yep. Nearly all planes climb best with their flaps fully retracted (minimum drag), so you want to get them pulled in as quickly as you can once you're off the ground. The reason you wait is because that little bit of sink you get as they retract could be dangerous if you're still lower than the surrounding trees or buildings. Pull the flaps in as soon as you see a positive rate of climb and you're clear of all obstacles. If there's nothing in front of you, that's basically the moment you leave ground effect.

General rule of thumb my instructor taught me was 300 feet agl pull up the flaps, 700 feet start your crosswind turn to course.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Romes128 posted:

When i'm flying the Grand Caravan and take off, then level out and retract the flaps the plane jerks up horribly and I basically have to hold down the trim button for the few seconds to even it out. Is that normal? I'm not touching the autopilot or anything. I noticed when I was doing some short OnAir trips that it happens like every time.

Sounds like a bug. Loss of lift from retracting the flaps results in a nose down moment. You should try taking off and doing it again next time in the external view, there's a trim position indicator in the bottom right of the screen; that'll show you what it's doing.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

Earlier today, I decided to take the Extra and fly it through the grand canyon, heading from KGCN up to page. Partway through the flight, I had to pause because I had to eat dinner and also do a zoom meeting for school. I am just now getting back and am ready to finish my flight. Apparently pausing the game doesn't pause time in the world, because I came back to this.

I was going 170 knots at the bottom of the canyon and it is clearly pitch black now. Do I continue flying just going off the 3D terrain of the VFD, or do I pull up into open air and then try to change the time back to day.

Turn on the developer tools. You can manually adjust the time from the drop down menu at the top of the screen.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

i am kiss u now posted:

You don't need to be in developer mode. There's a time slider in the weather tab.

For some reason my game always has the option to switch off real time weather (and time) greyed out.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Bold Robot posted:

It's a huge bummer that you can't actually fly under any bridge (at least I haven't found one that you can).

I've found random bridges I can fly under. :shrug:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

uXs posted:

What are the best airplanes for visibility at various speeds?

Give the Robin a try. I think cruise is 175 knots and it has a bubble canopy and good range. Plus it's a bit aerobatic.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I'm building an aircraft that I would eventually like to sell (it's a 1920s raceplane, one of a series I'd like to make). Just wondering, what are the most popular sites to post it on (like Xplane has it's main forum for add-ons) and what designers are people really looking forward to to see their work in the new MSFS?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

Does the savage cub not have an alternator? I was doing a flight around the grand canyon in a storm and noticed I was low on fuel. I found a small airport on the map and touched down, which was tricky with all the wind. After I touched down and was starting to taxi towards the parking, I lost power and the radios died, but the engine was still running and I was able to taxi over to the parking area and turn everything off.

That is probably a glitch. The alternator is what charges the engine's battery. You could have experienced an alternator failure and your battery died....but did you have random failures on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

https://fearoflanding.com/accidents/accident-reports/hes-a-terror-in-a-twin/

I feel bad for his family. I don't feel all that bad for him, because by all accounts he was an incompetent, egotistical moron who intentionally did dangerous and illegal things.

Highlights from the linked story:

- pilot claimed he had flown F-4 Phantoms for the Marines but they had no record of him
- his logbook recorded multiple cases where he conducted low passes over crowds of people and landed on open highways
- he was not multi-engine rated but purchased a twin-engine airplane, flew it the same day, logged no training
- lied about his airplane type on the radio (presumably because it would record that he was operating without the right certificate)
- didn't appear to understand how to make radio calls or enter a pattern properly, had extreme trouble landing at his first destination
- after refueling, taxied onto the runway and started to take off without making any calls to ATC
- caused an airliner on final approach to be diverted due to his runway incursion
- after a lengthy chewing-out by the tower, took off again
- once airborne, apparently entered L51 instead of TDW into his handheld GPS, mistaking the code for a lighted runway with a length of 5100 feet for the airport identifier

- apparently performed no navigational crosschecks at any time and just flew straight along the line his GPS told him, 90 degrees off from his intended heading, for at least an hour until he hit the side of a mountain

Like sure everyone has made dumb mistakes like misreading a chart or tuning the wrong frequency. But if you're ever making as many mistakes as that guy did on a single flight...

JFC. I'm surprised he was alive long enough to die in a crash like that.

zedprime posted:

Haha what the gently caress was waiting for him at the destination to tunnel vision so hard you drive your plane in a circle around a mooring like a cartoon

Muh freedumbs boomer brain.