Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ickna posted:

Check this poo poo out:
https://github.com/nguyenquyhy/Flight-Tracker-StreamDeck

a lot of the simconnect hooks are not yet implemented, but I have a basic profile that lets me set the AP parameters and see my elevator trim, and gear/brake status. some of the stuff that isn't implemented yet I just looked up what the keyboard command was and used the hotkey feature in the stream deck. one thing I have noticed though is that ctrl+alt+shift style combos don't play back to the simulator as expected. for some reason it sees the input from the stream deck in the wrong order, so for example if I were sending ctrl+shift+L, stream deck will record it correctly, but when played back, the simulator sees L+ctrl+shift and doesn't do anything. So I had to rebind some things to obscure single keys that had no other binding.

Awesome. I'll check that out.

As for the multi-key combos, that's why I'm using:

https://github.com/ashupp/Streamdeck-vJoy

So you create a vJoy controller with up to like 128ish buttons and a half dozen axes. That thing I linked lets you create Streamdeck buttons that can trigger any of the vJoy stuff (including axis position). My AP page looks like this:

Those are just buttons 1-32 in a vJoy controller. I set them up, then went into MSFS and bound each of them (it shows up as an entirely separate controller, so it doesn't interfere with existing flight stick or gamepad).

I found this has two advantages vs a normal streamdeck thing that does keyboard commands:

1. No issues with multi-key ordering stuff like you're seeing. Each function is just its own button with no modifiers.
2. It works regardless of which window is currently in focus, which is really nice on a multi-monitor set up where I've got MSFS in the main window Netflix on the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ickna
May 19, 2004

Bedurndurn posted:

So you create a vJoy controller with up to like 128ish buttons and a half dozen axes. That thing I linked lets you create Streamdeck buttons that can trigger any of the vJoy stuff (including axis position). My AP page looks like this:

Those are just buttons 1-32 in a vJoy controller. I set them up, then went into MSFS and bound each of them (it shows up as an entirely separate controller, so it doesn't interfere with existing flight stick or gamepad).

I found this has two advantages vs a normal streamdeck thing that does keyboard commands:

1. No issues with multi-key ordering stuff like you're seeing. Each function is just its own button with no modifiers.
2. It works regardless of which window is currently in focus, which is really nice on a multi-monitor set up where I've got MSFS in the main window Netflix on the other one.

Hell yeah, I am integrating this in right now. much better than hotkeys.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alaska: Still pretty

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Airline pilot does a G1000 tutorial with MSFS
https://youtu.be/Dn2owgrsiUs

e: After watching it, not so much a hardcore tutorial, more of a walkthrough while doing a flight.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 8, 2020

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Subscribed to OnAir :toot: I've worked out the kinks in it and I'm ready to continue my round-the-world job chain.

My trip so far:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My anti-virus has decided tag FS2020.exe is malware and keeps deleting it from my computer ever since the newest update, so I guess I have to wait for a kaspersky update before I can fly again. This games so realistic, I think I’m a furloughed pilot now.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

V for Vegans posted:

My anti-virus has decided tag FS2020.exe is malware and keeps deleting it from my computer ever since the newest update, so I guess I have to wait for a kaspersky update before I can fly again. This games so realistic, I think I’m a furloughed pilot now.

Mine is crashing to desktop a lot more lately so you're not missing much. Especially after all the loading is complete and it's about to go to the world, so it's just wasted 10 minutes of my time loading only to crash.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://youtube.com/c/ERAUSpecialVFR/videos

This channel has some good irl pilot training videos with some very useful 3D visualizations, can definitely recommend

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

With this new engine a mission mode for fire crew tanker drops could be loving amazing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Kerosene19 posted:

With this new engine a mission mode for fire crew tanker drops could be loving amazing.

It'd probably look amazing for the people who buy a 3090ti and could actually render it. :v:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

V for Vegans posted:

Man I’m far from an expert in this area but I used kaspersky for years and when I finally stopped so much poo poo ran so much better and I’ve never had any security issues since using other AV/anti malware solutions.

Maybe you’ve got a different situation but imo that poo poo sucks and you should dump it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kerosene19 posted:

There are all kinds of opportunities for cool and unique mission types they could implement. I wouldn't mind seeing some aerobatic and air race stuff added myself. Would give some purpose to the aerobatic craft in the game currently.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

sigher posted:

edit: So my lady was guiding me over the phone and teaching me how to fly, I got lost somewhere and she wanted to show me how to use the Garmin 300 in the C172 to lock onto an airport and be able to find my way because using dead reckoning wasn't working since I had no clue where I was; she was able to guide me through using the GPS to search for the airport but then she told me to press "Direct, then Enter and Enter again" and it would take me back to the map and there would be a pink line from the plane directly to the airport. However nothing happened. I remember when the game first came out that people were talking about how certain NAV systems were completely broken or not implemented, is this one of them? Or was I missing a step somewhere down the line that didn't make it work?

I don't entirely know and I'm mostly just bumping in case the edit was completely missed.

If you just wanted to figure out where the hell you were, you can bring up a menu by moving the mouse up to the top of the screen, and you can bring up a map that way. That should bring up a "VFR Map" window that you can control and figure out exactly where you are. However, I'm guessing something in that plane is basically already showing that view, but you can at least easily zoom in/out and pan the VFR map.

If you were planning to navigate based on some coordinate, then that's a whole other ball game. If you planned to have the autopilot take care of it, this would be some things you probably have to overcome:
1. Telling the autopilot to navigate.
2. Making sure the autopilot is set to navigate to whatever coordinate you entered.
3. Turning on the autopilot in the first place. It's the first thing to think of but the last thing to do because it might slam you into the ground otherwise. Or it might slam you into the ground anyways!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, major step backwards trying to do an autopilot RNAV approach to Fort Lauderdale. The first time I brought it up, I saw a bonus "USER" waypoint in the flight plan set to... 33 feet. Caught ya!

I just manually programmed the flight plan in and included a enroute waypoint to BEZER. I didn't fly through it but I flew near it and entered BLAIM in line with the runway.

I have no loving clue what the autopilot did for the approach. Okay, I know what it did, but not what it was thinking. It slammed me right into the runway! It just pointed the nose right at it.

Edit: Tried again and it seemed okayish. I bounced from how it hit the runway so I must be coming in too fast with the autopilot. It's faster than I would normally prefer to land anyways. I'm still having a hard time telling that the approach is actually working. The only indication I have is that my altitude continues to drop, but that could be from the autopilot making GBS threads its pants and deciding to crash, or it somehow disengaging.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 8, 2020

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
You can’t autoland from an RNAV approach, you’re supposed to disconnect the autopilot no lower than the decision altitude and land manually (or go around if you don’t see the runway).

The only autopilots that are going to safely guide you all the way to touchdown are autoland-equipped airliners on an appropriate ILS approach.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Even on ILS the a320 at least drifts way off center anyway.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you were planning to navigate based on some coordinate, then that's a whole other ball game. If you planned to have the autopilot take care of it, this would be some things you probably have to overcome:
1. Telling the autopilot to navigate.
2. Making sure the autopilot is set to navigate to whatever coordinate you entered.
3. Turning on the autopilot in the first place. It's the first thing to think of but the last thing to do because it might slam you into the ground otherwise. Or it might slam you into the ground anyways!

I'm not sure if the 172 has autopilot, but I was talking more on the map it wasn't showing the pink line to the airport I selected in the menu. It just doesn't wasn't working.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

CaptainEO posted:

You can’t autoland from an RNAV approach, you’re supposed to disconnect the autopilot no lower than the decision altitude and land manually (or go around if you don’t see the runway).

The only autopilots that are going to safely guide you all the way to touchdown are autoland-equipped airliners on an appropriate ILS approach.

What about ILS while flying the TBM? I had one decent landing that way on accident. I set an RNAV landing in the world map, but I notice in the navigation plan that it likes to make that an ILS approach.

I got fixated on RNAV since it's to me and I saw it at all the airports. I figured it was worth knowing just for that. It sounds like bad news if your little airport is fogged in.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

An auto land feature requires special level ILS at the airport and the aircraft to have 2 separate autopilot systems.

So yeah, only transport level aircraft, and newer ones at that.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I have flown an a36 bonanza IRL many times.

THE G36 bonanza in fs20 is DOGSHIT.

Wanna know why?

Turns out the config file has the bonanzas engine as 4 cylinders.

The engine should be a fuel injected horizontally opposed 6 cylinder 275 MONSTER OF AN ENGINE AND THEY LEFT IT WITH 4 CYLINDERS????

Reddit hotfix link here

https://reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/ihpc9d/mod_for_default_asobo_bonanza_g36_engine_drag/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

I have flown an a36 bonanza IRL many times.

THE G36 bonanza in fs20 is DOGSHIT.

Wanna know why?

Turns out the config file has the bonanzas engine as 4 cylinders.

The engine should be a fuel injected horizontally opposed 6 cylinder 275 MONSTER OF AN ENGINE AND THEY LEFT IT WITH 4 CYLINDERS????

Reddit hotfix link here

https://reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/ihpc9d/mod_for_default_asobo_bonanza_g36_engine_drag/

See, I knew the bonanza felt underpowered! Granted, I was just talking out of my rear end based on my inability to get anywhere near the rated performance statistics.

edit: dude didn't even flinch

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 8, 2020

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Bedurndurn posted:

Wow that's brilliant.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

slidebite posted:

If I break out my Warthog for this thing, is it mapped by default or am I going to have to take 2 hours to map every single axis and button?

There are default mappings and they're pretty good.

I changed the gear up/down to a switch with RSMapper. I also tried mapping autopilot modes to the AP switch, but while it worked well the system is simply too complicated for just a 3-way switch.

I also unlinked the left throttle handle and I'm using it for elevator trim. (After removing the center deadzone.) Works better than all other solutions I tried. I'm still tempted to break out my Cougar throttle for the extra rotaries though. I would do it if I had a bigger desk.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, major step backwards trying to do an autopilot RNAV approach to Fort Lauderdale. The first time I brought it up, I saw a bonus "USER" waypoint in the flight plan set to... 33 feet. Caught ya!

I just manually programmed the flight plan in and included a enroute waypoint to BEZER. I didn't fly through it but I flew near it and entered BLAIM in line with the runway.

I have no loving clue what the autopilot did for the approach. Okay, I know what it did, but not what it was thinking. It slammed me right into the runway! It just pointed the nose right at it.

Edit: Tried again and it seemed okayish. I bounced from how it hit the runway so I must be coming in too fast with the autopilot. It's faster than I would normally prefer to land anyways. I'm still having a hard time telling that the approach is actually working. The only indication I have is that my altitude continues to drop, but that could be from the autopilot making GBS threads its pants and deciding to crash, or it somehow disengaging.
Others have mentioned approach autopilot is not auto land but here's a couple points on what the approach is actually (should be actually, if you lose the sim lottery) doing and how it works.

The RNAV glide slope looks at two GPS nav points and trigonometries a slope to follow. Autopilot will attempt to aim at the slope using pitch adjustment and follow the vector between points using roll adjustment. You should again notice this does not control speed or throttle. You control the throttle, usually to give a nice balanced speed of ready to stop plus ready to go around.

ILS gets a vector and a slope from a radio transmitter but otherwise the same, it controls pitch and roll, you control throttle.

Either way when you are in spitting distance you disengage, flare, and touchdown.

You don't need to blindly trust you have captured a slope. And shouldn't, you're a butt in a seat for your big smart pilot brain. Each approach plate has a glide slope angle. You can use this with your expected approach speed to trigonometry a descent rate. You've captured the slope when your descent rate matches expectations. The glide display is doing the same thing and even correcting for procession and everything to show high or low, but you know, slope capturing and everything being buggy you might still want to know the neighborhood of your descent rate.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What about ILS while flying the TBM? I had one decent landing that way on accident. I set an RNAV landing in the world map, but I notice in the navigation plan that it likes to make that an ILS approach.

I got fixated on RNAV since it's to me and I saw it at all the airports. I figured it was worth knowing just for that. It sounds like bad news if your little airport is fogged in.
IFR isn't a magic fly anywhere fly anytime procedure. Like others are alluding to, at the bottom of the plate is a table of decision points where you should visually see the runway. If you don't, you're either in unlandable conditions or off the mark and need to Go Around. Then you enter a holding pattern waiting for the fog to blow out or cook off. If your fuel is going to cause a situation, you request clearence to your filed alternate where hopefully the weather is fine now.

Is MSFS in a glass cockpit you can usually use the runways painted into your PFD if you don't care to follow IFR to the letter and noones going to get mad or tell on you and you're most importantly not going to die because of a GPS failure because it's a game.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Correct! If even if you capture the glide slope on an ILS setup with the approach mode the autopilot is still just trying to fly you to a specific place. You still need to configure flaps, gear, and set power appropriately. You still need to kill power, flare, and hit the brakes like a normal landing.

You're almost certainly coming in way, way too fast. In general, don't think about landing as "flying onto the runway" but instead "losing my last drop of speed and height while moving along the runway."

Landing:
https://www.av8n.com/how/htm/landing.html

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

(Not a pilot warnings)

RNAV is to get you almost all of the way to the runway but not actually land you. If you don't disengage the AP, you might land safely (because you were more or less on the right glide path coming in), but I don't think it knows how to flare (or when it should flare), so it's going to be a sucky landing. You might also end up coming in short or long because again, it's not an accurate approach.

In general, fog and weather stuff reduces how far you can see, the idea is that the RNAV gets you *really close*. From there, you should be able to see the runway and its lights so you can take it from there. If you *can't* see at that minimum altitude, you have to do the missed approach stuff to go around for another go or get out safely and try to land somewhere else.

Oh, here's a pilot guy going over how to read an RNAV approach plate that explains all the things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92z5UZCeDEQ

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

The TBM is super slippery too, descending at 1000-1500fpm even at idle will keep you above flap speed unless you're careful and in instrument conditions this will mean you're either floating for way too long or have to smash the reverse thrust as soon as you hit the runway, a shallower descent from cruise to approach helps to manage your speed on final and less speed means more decision making time especially if your decision altitude is inside fog.

I've about nailed flying at just above flap speed in a 152 but the TBM wants to go fast at all times, usually it's 170-180kts on approach because i'm a bad pilot.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Once you have approach flaps and/or gear out the TBM 930 behaves more like a normal plane, and full flaps is like a parachute.

Speed management starts early i.e. throttle at 50-60% on descent cutting back to 25% when you're getting serious about approach but you can generally get to gear/approach flap speed by zeroing throttle and pulling up then you can pretty aggressively dive with full flaps without much further acceleration to get back on track.

I practically dive bombed an approach yesterday doing exactly that when I realized I was in the need for speed zone with the numbers coming up fast.

I need to look closer at the maneuver plate again, I think the white speed tape is full flaps, you can drop approach flaps slightly faster. But might be mixing that up with gear drop speed.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
A lot of the midrange planes seem over powered as well. Literally. As in if you ever set full power the engines will melt, even on TOGA. I can't set the TBM's power above 70% or the ITT will go into the red zone.

The longitude is especially bad, it almost feels like they looked up the total engine power and then put that much power into each engine so you have to takeoff roll at 50%, except the rotate speed seems way too low so you take off and immediately fly at critical AoA until you build up a little more speed.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Hey can anyone help me with this please?

I tried to triangulate my position using two VORs but I think I’m doing something wrong?

Top VOR is tuned to TJRV’s, Nav2 is tuned to TIST’s.

Any help would be appreciated!

Linked because the image is huge:

https://imgur.com/a/folIi5a

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 8, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I've pretty much just been flying the DA40, it's very easy to land but gets blown around a lot at altitude

ickna
May 19, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

A lot of the midrange planes seem over powered as well. Literally. As in if you ever set full power the engines will melt, even on TOGA. I can't set the TBM's power above 70% or the ITT will go into the red zone.

The longitude is especially bad, it almost feels like they looked up the total engine power and then put that much power into each engine so you have to takeoff roll at 50%, except the rotate speed seems way too low so you take off and immediately fly at critical AoA until you build up a little more speed.

LOL if you’re not blasting around at 500 TAS everywhere in the longitude. Also the candy cane is way off on it so who knows how much they actually got right with it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

UnknownTarget posted:

[s]Hey can anyone help me with this please?

I tried to triangulate my position using two VORs but I think I’m doing something wrong?

I found a couple instances of the same sort of displacement during the alpha. There’s something that’s not QUITE right about either the placement of VOR stations or the relationship between magnetic and true north. Given that you can often SEE the navaid on the ground, I suspect it’s the latter.

I’ve found a couple airways between VORs where swapping between stations on reciprocal bearings results in a 10-15° offset, which is extremely not-correct.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

I have no real life flying experience but given the X-plane TBM was pretty lovingly crafted and the MSFS one has a similar feel in its power and throttle, So I think the TBM might be okay. It is very easy to over torque. If you’re speaking about ITT specifically, make sure you’re turning off the inertial separator when appropriate.

Longitude is bad/weird though.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

MrYenko posted:

I found a couple instances of the same sort of displacement during the alpha. There’s something that’s not QUITE right about either the placement of VOR stations or the relationship between magnetic and true north. Given that you can often SEE the navaid on the ground, I suspect it’s the latter.

I’ve found a couple airways between VORs where swapping between stations on reciprocal bearings results in a 10-15° offset, which is extremely not-correct.

Ok I thought it might have to do with how they modeled magnetic declination but that should definitely not affect the VORs like this. Thanks! I'm really rusty on VOR NAV so I wasn't sure if it was me or the sim.

For all you folks who want to learn about this stuff; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magne...graphic%20North

In summary: magnetic declination is the difference between where the compass points to North and where North actually is. Across the planet, there is a variation (map included). So when you are setting a course (and someone correct me here if I'm wrong) by North then you have to add or subtract X number of degrees from your heading to make sure you're actually going the right way. For example, around the Caribbean it's about -14°. So if I was setting a course for heading 25, heading North East, I'd actually have to set my course to 25-14 = 11° to head the right way.

For example, this is setting the declination on a handheld compass: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/compass-declination.html#:~:text=Turn%20the%20compass%20over.,degrees%20West%20in%20this%20example).

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 8, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Cancelbot posted:

The TBM is super slippery too, descending at 1000-1500fpm even at idle will keep you above flap speed unless you're careful and in instrument conditions this will mean you're either floating for way too long or have to smash the reverse thrust as soon as you hit the runway, a shallower descent from cruise to approach helps to manage your speed on final and less speed means more decision making time especially if your decision altitude is inside fog.

I've about nailed flying at just above flap speed in a 152 but the TBM wants to go fast at all times, usually it's 170-180kts on approach because i'm a bad pilot.

That's largely due to the current turboprop model being fundamentally broken and not modeling drag from the propeller.

On most real world turboprops, bringing the power level to flight idle results in the propeller going to a setting where the blades are pretty much perpendicular to the airflow, which produces a huge amount of drag and makes managing airspeed in a descent fairly easy.

MSFS doesn't model that drag at all, so it makes the TBM and King Air way more "slippery" than the actual airplanes are.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

UnknownTarget posted:

[s]Hey can anyone help me with this please?

I'm kind of confused. TJRV isn't a VOR? Your radio looks like it's set to 114.0, which is San Juan, 23.1 miles to the north west of where your bearing circle thing is.

Are you maybe over here?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Bedurndurn posted:

I'm kind of confused. TJRV isn't a VOR? Your radio looks like it's set to 114.0, which is San Juan, 23.1 miles to the north west of where your bearing circle thing is.

Are you maybe over here?

That looks more right. I think I mistook the in-sim map to have a VOR location at TJRV: http://www.airnav.com/airport/TJRV.

But it looks like you're right, I was tuned into San Juan's VORTAC.

quote:

VOR radial/distance VOR name Freq Var
SJUr132/23.1 SAN JUAN VORTAC 114.00 11W
STTr269/35.9 ST THOMAS VOR/DME 108.60 10W

EDIT: What website is that?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

UnknownTarget posted:

That looks more right. I think I mistook the in-sim map to have a VOR location at TJRV: http://www.airnav.com/airport/TJRV.

But it looks like you're right, I was tuned into San Juan's VORTAC.

EDIT: What website is that?

Skyvector in World Lo mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Bedurndurn posted:

Skyvector in World Lo mode.

Ty!

Here is the corrected map:

EDIT: For the learners (and myself) - notice that the STT VOR is rotated to the left by about 13 degrees. This is due to Magnetic Declination. The declination in this area is around -13 to -14 °, so that was subtracted from the VOR's "True North" by SkyVector.

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 8, 2020