Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

hmmm... I got CQ at 0500 CET on Sunday so I can't do it this week, but I do want to get in on this at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Demonlord posted:

It's basically sit in office and occasionally answer phone for 12-24 hours.

kalstrams posted:

Charge of Quarters I believe.

Yes

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Any tips for setting up the controls because thats pretty much keeps scaring me off when I consider thinking to sit down and learn DCS.

Also related, is it possible to set up my thumbstick on my CH throttle to be the mouse so I can access cockpit buttons without taking my hand off the stick?

(Guess I should mention when asking for control advice I have a CH Throttle USB, CH Fighterstick USB, and CH Pro Pedals USB)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Go out and find profiles other people have made. Hopefully they tell you what's what beforehand so you don't go in blind, but it saves time and many people have had good ideas.

I've personally never made my own profile, just grabbed ones I've seen that work and tweaked them a little bit.

Any recommendations on where to find these?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Has anyone tried using the gyro in their phone as a head tracking device? I tried using mine in ArmA 3, and the latency is low, but the calibration and mounting are a real hassle. It seemed pretty accurate, but it's hard to tell when the calibration is off by a mile.

Anyone got it set up that can tell me if it's worth the hassle?

The downside of this is you have a cell phone taped to your head

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I think I got the CH control manager figured out and tweaked a profile I found online to my liking, all I can say is holy poo poo the value of the millions of hat-switches all over the CH stuff is suddenly very evident (had only been flying WW2 stuff before). Also having the mini joystick on the throttle is super useful for slew control.

Now to work my way through the tutorials so i can get to "worthy of lawndarting while goons laugh at me" status

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gibfender posted:

It's true, I have a cheap rear end T-flight HOTAS-X and basically every button on it is a modifier for the lonely hat. I want the warthog stick so bad

you can get the pro throttle and fighterstick for only $200, I require a lot more flight sim commitment before I'm willing to fork out for the warthog stick

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gibfender posted:

They're £90 each over here, might as well spring the extra £100 at that point :(

I'm in Italy, I bought mine on american amazon, don't know if they ship to UK though.

Managed to get through the operations tutorials, don't really think I'm ready for prime time though, still have no idea how to work the weapons systems

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Can anyone help me to understand the CCRP and CCIP CR release modes? I get the concept (though I don't really understand how the two are different in their practical application other then the CCRP using a SPI to target, I know the difference between 3/9 and 5mil mode is release tolerance). Despite running the training my brain doesn't seem to be able to process the jumble of icons on my HUD into anything that makes sense. I'm good up until the point its supposedly giving me a point I'm supposed to fly to (holding weapon release in CCIP CR or designating SPI in CCRP) then I'm loving lost.

also jesus christ I can't believe I just typed that and understood what all that jargon means, I guess I am learning (holy poo poo still feel mostly bewildered though)

edit: bonus question: Is what I learn from this grueling learning curve with the A-10C translate well to other US craft? If I try to fly the F-15C in a couple months will it be easier to learn or will it be like starting from scratch?

edit2: double bonus question: Anyone use those thrustermaster MFDs? for only $70 for a pair they're awful tempting and would pretty much mean I never have to use the mouse

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 4, 2014

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

CCIP = Put the marker on the target when you want to hit the target. It's "dumb bombing."

CCRP = Put the marker on the target and just worry about lining things up, not actually aiming. It's the "easier" of the modes and allows for lobbing. I'd say for an established target CCRP is more better and for a "gently caress I need to hit that thing now" CCIP is better.

Either way, both modes blow poo poo up so as long as you can accomplish the end goal it'll end the same.

e: Oh you wanted more in depth.

Okay so CCIP again is "dumb bombing" in which you just point and click for where an explosion happens. CCRP is putting a mark where you want an explosion to happen and then the whole thing relies on you maneuvering to make it happen.

CCRP lets you pick a point (SPI or whatever) and then just hold the release button so that when the computer detects "if release == hit, release" it'll release. It basically lets you fly the aircraft without worrying about doing crazy bombing runs or poo poo.

I understand how they work, what I don't understand is what I'm seeing on the HUD iconography and what symbols I'm supposed to line up with what to fly to the release point on CCRP or CCIP CR

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VKing posted:

CCRP and CCIP CR after you've started holding pickle use exactly the same symbology.
There's a line running down your HUD to a big circle (bomb fall line and CCRP reticle) and another line going up from the bottom to a small circle (solution cue).
Manoeuvre your aircraft so the two lines overlap, then wait for the small circle to start descending towards the big circle. When the small circle hits the bottom half of the big circle (3/9) or the dot (5 mil), the bomb will release.

Ya I finally figured this out while I was going through the PGM training, it seems like there's never a small circle descending with the JDAMs? My first pass it released and landed on target without the descending circle ever appearing, but then I couldn't get it to release again after that.

edit: Also getting Mav locks from a distance is hard, seeker head vision sucks compared to the litening pod (reminds me of aiming a Javelin, thanks for the awesome thermal camera that I can't use to get a seeker lock assholes). Can i use the litening to designate a SPI on top of a target then use slave all sensors to SPI to make the Mav seeker look at it?

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 4, 2014

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Well I graduated A-10 school, somehow I simultaneously feel like I kind of know how to operate the aircraft but feel even less like I know what I'm doing

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

drat right son. I slapped a 32 inch HDTV on my computer desk and my flight simulator experience went up the wazoo. Spotting is so much easier, as is makin out gauges and far away terrain feautures.

The big monitor definitely spoiled me. I can't go back.

I replaced my 32 HDTV with a 27" 1440p Monitor, its a little smaller but wow the clarity.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

For War Thunder at least I find 1440p to be far superior, I can much more readily identify planes and see their movements.

edit: also its stupidly gorgeous, and I can compensate slightly by moving the screen close to my face

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Has anyone tried themselves both a 1440p screen and a larger 1080p screen? I imagine how each simulator does it's low LOD models also makes a difference with visibility at a distance.

Jarmak posted:

I replaced my 32 HDTV with a 27" 1440p Monitor, its a little smaller but wow the clarity.

Jarmak posted:

For War Thunder at least I find 1440p to be far superior, I can much more readily identify planes and see their movements.

edit: also its stupidly gorgeous, and I can compensate slightly by moving the screen close to my face

Really you can fully compensate for screen size by sitting closer to the screen

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Grawl posted:

The amount of inch a monitor holds does not say anything about the aspect ratio.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Screens_png.png

I assume he meant is 1440p a normal aspect ratio and the answer is yes (2560x1440 iirc)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I booted up IL2:BOS quick and it looks drop dead gorgeous, but the view seems to be set so that even if if I lean back all the way back in my chair I still can't see my gauges without looking down and blinding myself, it just seems like the forward/back movement of the trackir doesn't do much, the camera control settings page kind of baffles me though, anyone have any luck making this better?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Burno posted:

Use the keys to move the pilots head press F10 to save head position and bind a key to zoom in and out. The FOV is narrow no matter what but I was able to get something that didn't make me motion sick

FOV should be analogous to zoom, I think the real issue is the range of motion for the pilot's head forward/backward for TrackIR is too short. For example in War Thunder if I center my TrackIR I can see the top gauges, if I lean in my gun-sight fills my screen, and if I lean back I can see my entire cockpit. In BOS my range of motion (by default) seems to be leaned it the gun-sight fills my view, leaned all the way back I can barely see the edge of my top gauges (but not read them).

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Flying IL2 Battle of Stalingrad right now, SIM people will most likely like it: http://www.twitch.tv/kalleerikvahakyla/

game is pretty cool, gotta get used to using my gauges more since there's no HUD in expert

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Reminder than in a little over two hours, flight sim nerds gather together for the Mustang night.
DCS World is free and you get the free Mustang with it. No reason not to join.

Info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post429732388

I'm living out of a hotel and my computer and flight sim equipment is slow-boating across the ocean

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

After getting hooked on trading in Elite and my recent addiction to using my trackIR and pedals for Euro Truck Sim I've realized it isn't the lack of combat that keeping me from getting into the civilian aviation sims, its the lack of game. Someone please make a flight sim where I can start doing sightseeing tours or some poo poo in a lovely seaplane or single engine Cessna and grow into owning a air freight or airliner empire.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Shanakin posted:

Any resurgence of civilian flight sims is going to require software that doesn't:

a) have no "no fun" clauses
b) require you to buy the "game part" and other essential features from third parties
c) require you to spend additional potentially hundreds of dollars on making the game not look like the decade+ old game it that it is.
d) find an accessible and inviting middleground between spergsimming, which is not only hugely niche but extremely resource intensive to develop and arcade style games which are as popular as ever (warthunder sim actually does a pretty good job of this but a couple of issues, particularly its FtP model keeps a lot of the sim old guard disinterested).

ultimately though the biggest block to flight simulations becoming popular at a vaguely similar level to what it used to be is that they're typically not designed with any semblance of accessibility. Not only are they much, much more detailed than they used to be, making them harder to actually "play". they have hardware requirements. A gamepad is probably the best you can expect out of most people. Joysticks are very niche, relatively obscure hardware in this day and age that most shops don't even stock any more. It's not the '90s anymore where I remember, as a young child, shelves covered in all sorts of gaudy lit up joysticks proudly on display for trying out.

everyone basically knows all this poo poo anyway, but for the most part only the worst sperglords who genuinely love all the inane stuff are willing to enter such a deserted market, which largely dooms it to continued niche status in the first place.

God this post just made me remember that best buy used to have an entire aisle devoted to joysticks.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Hey goons,

My three year old and I just got back from flights in and out of Orlando and now all he wants to do is PLANES all the time. After our successful stint with farm simulator when he was in his tractor stage I'd like to find a flight sim to see if he is interested in watching dad play that as well. Obvs this new microsoft one will be the creme once it comes out, but I'm looking for something not to expensive that I can play on PC with an xbox PC controller if possible.

Will MFSX steam edition suit my needs?

I know this is not really what you're asking for but I use the "test flight" mode in war thunder for this. I let my two-year old sit in my lap with the index and fly the P51 around the test map while I operate the pedals/make corrections to keep him from lawn darting. It's not as much full-featured fun for Dad as a proper civ sim but it's free to play and trying to take-off/ help keep aloft an old warbird while only having the reprojected cardboard tube view from a toddler's headset who can't stop staring out the side window is a challenge in it's own right.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Speaking of VR flying, does anyone use their HMD in conjunction with a physical joystick or yoke + pedals? I love the immersiveness of VR cockpit controls but it's very difficult to fly steady when you're just waving your arm out in front of you. It can also be a little tiring. I was thinking about picking up a basic yoke, but that has its own nuisances, such as my desk being in the way of reaching certain cockpit controls if I have to sit that close.

I do, although I'm strictly a combat-sim guy at the moment. I have a HOTAS and two cougar mfds with a usb numpad between them; muscle memory with some glue dots to help me know what buttons my fingers are on works pretty well.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Aces over the Pacific was one of my first real computer games, followed by X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and Mechwarrior 2

Back when a joystick was an integral part of any computer gaming rig.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Tippis posted:

Fix your hardware dammit!

In the interest of not empty quoting I'm confused by the argument that VR isn't for process sims because I feel the opposite. Feeling "there" is what makes spending the time doing cold starts in the F18, or having to fly 30 minutes just to get to the combat part, amazing and fun.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'd really like to see a space sim that plays like DCS and has combat inspired by modern/future air combat instead of WW2 air combat.

(edit: I'd settle for WW2 laser combat if you gave me DCS:X-Wing)

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 28, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I also would kill for a study-sim X-Wing game, complete with made-up systems modeling and a checklist startup procedure.

1. ENSURE S-FOIL SWITCH IS IN "FLIGHT" POSITION
2. BATTERY, MASTER TO "ON"
3. ASTROMECH I/F BUS TO "ENABLE"
4. NAV SYSTEM SELECTOR TO "DROID"
5. PRESS "ASTROMECH ALIGN"
6. REACTOR MODE TO "PRIME"
7. HOLD TIBANNA GAS PRIMER 3-5 SECONDS
8. REACTOR MODE TO "STARTUP"
9. WHEN REACTOR CORE TEMPERATURE REACHES 6 MK, PRESS IGNITER BUTTON ONCE
10. AT CORE TEMPERATURE 10 MK, SET REACTOR MODE TO "RUN"
11. ENSURE CORE TEMPERATURE STABILIZES AT 23 MK WITHIN 30 SECONDS

yada yada

Not empty quoting

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Xakura posted:

Yeah, cool, but "less mura effect" doesn't really matter for whether dials are readable. Statement was " first one to deliver readable gauges in games".

Honestly I can read gauges just fine in the Index so I think "first to deliver readable gauges" is a highly subjective statement.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Why hello FS2020, you have my attention now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Wait, in sims like IL:2 there are a bunch of planes where you can adjust RPM and throttle/pressure separately. I always that these RPM were engine RPM and was confused about there also being prop RPM (as though they were some kind of transmission between them). Propeller RPM and engine RPM should be the same, right?

Yes, what changes is the pitch of the prop.