Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I'm an idiot, I keep seeing people saying they remapped the right stick on the controller to roll, but I can't seem to do it? Can someone do a step-by-step?

It's whats keeping me from playing through it at the moment (stupid reason I know).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I'm at a point where I've never been before, have a massive 20ish station complex that's completely self sufficient, 10ish UTs and millions of dollars. I've got the PHQ and halfway through the Hub quest. And now I'm somewhat bored. Seems like at this point I'm a little underwhelmed with the PHQ and to start making real money I'm basically just going to be navigating menus setting up infrastructure (CLTs, CAGs, buying stations etc), which is awfully irritating thanks to the stupid leveling mechanics on pilots etc. I don't want to have to micro-manage 50 different ships just to get them to a state where they're no longer a pain in my rear end.

Problem is I'm doing an achievement run, so not sure what I want to do next. Ideas? I fly around in a Centaur even though I hate it, because my goal is to capture a Xenon P and use it as my personal ship but Ps are hard to find and it takes bloody forever to train up soldiers so despite having been training 10+ soldiers for half my game they're still in perpetual training.

Also, I guess, how do you Commodity Logistics work? I've tried setting up an internal CLS with my complex as a supplier and the PHQ and a consumer, and the CLS agents never deliver cargo to the PHQ.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 17, 2013

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Yea I feel like I'm pretty close to getting the achievments I care about, I may end up just using the Steam Acheivment Manager; but your recommendations look pretty good.

One thing I've thought of and would be cool if there's an existing mod for it, are there any mods that rebalance the number and stats of the ships, by class? In other words, I feel there are far to many M2s and M3s in the universe, they're basically common-place and don't really feel powerful at all. I'd like to see something where M1s are pretty rare, M2s are also pretty rare but slightly less so, and instead of M2s and M1s everywhere we have way more fighters and M6s and M7s basically replace the current proportions and placement of M1s and M2s.

Honestly you wouldn't even need to rebalance the ships necessarily, just double the health values of shields and hulls or something globally to account for the increased fighters and you'd be good to go.

To add on to that, any thoughts on XRM? Eyeballing it seems like an interesting way to liven the game back up.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 17, 2013

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I gotta say the thing I'm probably the most excited about is the damage model. Looks like you can destroy little sub-sections of stations and (I guess?) capital ships and rather than disappearing flames shoot out and theres a half broken shell of debris remaining. Similarly the smaller ships no longer just disappear in a quick ball of light, but debris goes flying everywhere. Kind of got a glance at some cap ships blowing up but not really, but it looks like they are following the same pattern.

Always been the biggest thing that irks me about the X games. Freespace 2 has spoiled me for the past 14 years.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I think it's pretty cool v:shobon:v. I mean not the greatest ship design ever, but it's unique and interesting enough for me to be satisfied piloting it.

Like someone else said, I just hope my weapon/upgrades are reflected externally on the ship.

Also the wording in the interview has me a little worried, but I'm getting the impression "upgrading" the ship is a linear thing (start with weapons a, end with weapons and turrets z) and not a choice thing. I'm hoping it's more of the latter and less of the former, but have a feeling it's the opposite.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Muffinlord posted:

I require beams. Beams and missiles. Especially different colored beams.

Large ones at that. That last longer than half a second. Preferably several seconds.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Watching the video...man that flight model.... I really hope it's modable but I seriously doubt it.

Game had everything going for it and then I see that :(

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Trustworthy posted:

For those of you jonesing for realistic physics, I recommend playing Kerbal. Download a popular weapons mod, then spend the next nine or ten hours adjusting your orbit and desperately trying to get a clear shot at a huge immobile target, then repeatedly smash your head against your keyboard until truly realistic space combat no longer sounds like such an awesome idea.

You lucky bastard, I hate you.

I'm not even sure where all this talk of 'realistic flight models' came from. All anyone ever said was to have a not-poo poo flight model (or any flight model, to be honest). If I wanted to play a space FPS I'd play a space FPS.

These arguments are loving retarded. You're basically saying, "Oh you want to play a jet game? Well then gently caress you, you either have to play DCS: A-10C Warthog or you're not playing at all!". It's almost like I want to play Ace Combat or something as opposed to playing "Call of Duty: Jet(pack) Warfare".

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Someguy posted:

God I hope I really hope it's not dumbed down, that is like my biggest fear.

The whole point is its dumbed down.

I'm hoping there's significantly more variety in the ships than they've shown, being there isn't though :(

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I stopped at whatever song started saying "SPACE SPACE *something* SPACE *something something* SPACE SPACE SPACE" to a bitchin' guitar riff.

Oh Egosoft :allears:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So the modding in this seems easy as poo poo http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=347831.

Looks really easy to flesh out the highway system / add new sectors etc., basically everything in the game is just flat .xml files??? Reminds me of STALKER.

Was watching some guys 3 hour gameplay video for mayb 30-40 minutes and despite all the bad press here, I'm still debating on buying it :ohdear: Saw a couple bugs (including the 100 energy cell thing), but honestly doesn't seem to terrible, he was able to continue past all of them one way or another.

Clearly I'll have to play it, but the menu system still seems at worst, as bad as the one in X3. Maybe I'm missing some subtleties.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 16, 2013

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Should we have a separate thread for rebirth? Games are wildly different and the mix and match between conversations in the current thread is confusing.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The true stillbirth is this thread.

We get it, you don't like X:Rebirth and you're justifiably upset that they shipped a buggy arguably lovely piece of software. Moving on.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm pretty sure on the XRM page on the egosoft forums theres some plugins / options for it, one of which being the option to have normal sized jumpdrives.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Nexus reputation secured guys.

She_is_coming_in_HOT_again

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Unimpressed posted:

Wow, that's a pretty big misrepresentation of what he actually said.

Goons will be goons.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Rookersh posted:

Figure this is the best thread for this.

Loved Terran Conflict for space dickery. Story wasn't great, but who cares. Albion Prelude offered more space dickery so I also enjoyed it.

Decided to go back and pick up Freelancer, a game I never played, and uh, I'm not feeling it? I just cleared out some bandits and I don't see any reason to keep going. The environments feel pretty tiny, the galaxy map seems really constrained, and if the plot is going anywhere, it seems to be taking it's time. I imagine this game would have been huge back when it came out, but going back to it and comparing it to anything else just feels silly.

Does the story ever pick up? If it at least becomes somewhat interesting I may stick with it for a bit longer.

Freelancer is pretty terrible tbh. There aren't many options for 'open world space dickery' unfortunately. There's some newish (<10 years old) games by various indie and eastern Europe devs of questionable quality (haven't played them yet), but really the only option out there besides the x series is independence war 2, which is my second favorite space game (after freespace).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You know looking at the recent space games in development, seeing the amount of progress they're making in such a short amount of time... we all are really desperate for space games, x series is seriously awful.

I can't even compel myself to reinstall AP to get my space fix, who wants to navigate 6 deep nested menus.

Seriously enemy starfighter, elite: dangerous, eve valkyrie, that other game...

I kinda feel bad for egosoft.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Fargin Icehole posted:

gently caress it, i bought it because i'm gay for games. Hopefully this was not a bad decision at all.

Do tell because I've got an itch only this can satisfy at the moment.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Phraggah posted:

This is an amazing, especially with a drone script like MARS' running, and I want it to happen.

Unrelated:

With great power comes great responsibility

(click for youtube)

I was trying to learn NURBS and spline modeling :science:

Wow :lol:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Bhodi posted:

Comedy comment: This game is still the best space game actually out.

How sad is that?

False. Elite Dangerous is superior by far and it's not even finished.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Bhodi posted:

This made me curious and $75 hahahaha, gently caress that. Fix your poor impulse control - don't pay 1.5x the full price of a game just for access to it in an unfinished state. Be patient.

I'm going to check out Starport Gemini 2 and report back, since it's (allegedly) finished.

Some things are worth the money and something's aren't, especially to different people? It's one thing to say you're not willing to purchase it at 75 and another thing entirely to make a blanket statement about people buying that specific game.

When taking into account probably half the people in this thread own Rebirth and despite obsessing over space games my entire life I still do not, I think you have the wrong person with impulse control :smuggo:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
X:Rebirth is :10bux::10bux: on Gamersgate, assuming it's still not worth it?

Elite Dangerous is doing a good job scratching my space itch so I doubt I'll end up picking this up until it's like $5 maybe $10, unless they manage to massively turn this around, figured I'd ask and let people know though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've actually been playing rebirth quite a bit lately and it's a lot more playable than it used to be. For $20 I'd actually say it's worth it, although there are still some issues that may be dealbreakers for you:

-The universe is entirely static as far as I can tell. NPCs don't build new stations or upgrade existing ones, nor is there any kind of territory control mechanic like in AP. There are mods that will make factions more hostile to each other but so far nothing that makes them expand. I don't think it's even possible to actually destroy stations completely.
-No SETA still, which means that trading is slow as hell. You're going to spend a lot of time running combat missions just to kill time while waiting for your traders to finish their runs or for a cap ship to be built.
-Still only fly the one ship, and there's really not many options as far as upgrades go.

Those are the only issues I can think of that can't be dealt with through mods. There are a few things in the base game you might not like but there are mods that fix them, like the lack of fully automated traders/miners, all the repetitive dialog, etc. the interface has been VASTLY improved, and uses a TC/AP style sidebar now instead of the radial menus for everything. You can also now give your traders and defense officers orders to automatically refuel/rearm. Most of the AI bugs like traders getting stuck have been resolved; I haven't had it happen to me at all, and even if it did you can just cancel their orders now.

Anyway, tl;dr version: it's worth it for $20, a lot of the issues at launch have been resolved, but if the one ship thing bothers you then probably don't get it.

I actually love the idea and concept they were going for with Rebirth (a more 'personal' approach, if that makes sense), I was just disappointed with the lack of upgrades or diversity with the single ship. Disappointing that can't be improved with mods. Similar with the static universe, those are probably my two biggest 'let-downs'. I didn't really share a lot of the other complaints people had with it (i.e. not X3, not a spreadsheet menu simulator) and mostly held off because of the bugs (and above two diversity issues).

I'll probably check on the official forums and nexus and see what kind of mods there are to see if any catch my fancy enough to want to buy it, otherwise there's a big patch coming for Elite Dangerous next week that'll probably occupy all my time.

Thanks for the response!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
TC and AP were both spin offs of mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Kaysette posted:

I love/hate that this thread's title is still accurate after the release of Rebirth and Elite.

Ahahahhaahah no. Elite is a million times better than the X games.

• Locked thread