Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Lyer posted:

So I've been dying for a space game for the longest time and I picked up the gold edition. I've never played this series and was wondering what mods would be good for a new player? Basically stuff that would make things less tedious or more intuitive.

ok as someone who's just recently started and figuring out what not to do:

First, watch the videos! They were such an amazing help for me. Tutorial videos

-Start as Argon Peacekeeper, do the first 3 missions to get the Centaur and protect the freighter. Sell the Nova Prototype and the Advanced Discoverer.
-set up your turrets on all ships to missile defense.. this is a big one.
-Start exploring the universe, buy all advanced satellites you can find, they are at almost all "military outposts" and some race trading docks. Drop these satellites in the middle of all zones.
-buy a triplex scanner/trading software mk1 and mk2 and mk3/trading system extension/navigation command software/fight software mk1/fight software mk2/best buy locator/best sell locator/special command software mk1 at the stations you come across
-Look up on wiki where the nearest Jump drive seller is, I'd recommend going south from the freighter mission where you got the centaur then going west and north till you get near Home of Light.
-Check all ¢ missions for someone selling a decent starting hauler (I found a good mercury hauler for dirt cheap off the start), buy it and set it to follow you till you get to the jump drive location.
-Install Jump drive on your hauler, transfer the trading mk1, mk2, MK3 software, best buy, best sell locator, navigation software, special command software to the hauler. continue exploring the area till you find "The Wall". Set up a sector trader in the wall (there's probably better but this works). Universe Traders Guide
Now you'll earn passive income!
-Keep exploring the universe, kill pirates for faction increase, stay out of Xenon sectors (learned this the hard way), Purchase docking software from the paranid, when you go to dock if you're within 5kms just hit autodock again and you'll teleport to the docking area. Saves so much time.
-when you're fighting pirates, try to make pilots bail out. Bail example, sell their ships. A crappy Pirate Elite will get you 600k.
-If the missions say Very hard chances are you can't do them in the ship you're in. Most transport missions where you pick up people and move them need a proper TP ship since they refuse to get into your centaur.
-Keep trying to start up more sector traders, the more you get the more money you'll start to make. Also, read about OOS here: OOS Explanation So what this means is, if you're sector traders are poorly equipped with shields/guns/missiles. And you're not in the zone when pirates attack, chances are the game will roll them dead.

Lastly,
This is what i've done, seems to be working great, you can do whatever you want and I'm sure some of these guys will have other input. I think I'm going to try and save some cash and buy a couple Ore/Silicon mines in some sectors with asteroids/power. Rent a hauler to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Sell the Nova Prototype

Everything but this. IMO it's one of the best fighters in the game and it's not for sale anywhere (w/o mods or hacking it in) – you only get the one you start with. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also flying it is approximately eight million times more fun than flying a Centaur, which handles about as well as a school bus.

I did pretty much exactly what you did, however I just flew around in my Nova and used my Centaur as a wingman. In fights he'd act as a tank while I'd circle around using him as a shield and picking off the smaller fighters he couldn't hit. Good times.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Everything but this. IMO it's one of the best fighters in the game and it's not for sale anywhere (w/o mods or hacking it in) – you only get the one you start with. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also flying it is approximately eight million times more fun than flying a Centaur, which handles about as well as a school bus.

I'm with you. I sold the centaur and gambled it all on the stock market to give me seed money for my empire.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You should definitely never sell that Prototype Nova, because it's the only one in the game, and it's better than the other Novas. Later in the game (and I mean much later), you can reverse engineer it so you can make more.

I would keep the Advanced Discoverer you're given for the same reason: it is the only one of its kind in the game. But it's an M5, and M5s are basically crap, so if you're strapped for cash and don't think you're going to need to cross the universe to undiscovered territory and then have your other ships jump to you any time soon, you can unload it so you can fart around on the stock market.

Or you can do what Hav did and sell the Centaur, since the Centaur can just be bought at a shipyard anyway. Or you can go directly to a Heavy Centaur or Skiron.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm solidly in the "don't sell the Nova" camp too, the Nova is one of the best M3s in the game to begin with.

MechaCrash posted:

you can reverse engineer it so you can make more.

This, though you also forgot to mention you can also paint your ships when you reach that particular point in the game, so realising a neon pink armada is entirely possible :rice:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm solidly in the "don't sell the Nova" camp too, the Nova is one of the best M3s in the game to begin with.

This, though you also forgot to mention you can also paint your ships when you reach that particular point in the game, so realising a neon pink armada is entirely possible :rice:

How have I never played to this point in the game before?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Backov posted:

How have I never played to this point in the game before?

In my case, it's because my save somehow ends up corrupted or my precariously-stacked mod/script collection collapses in upon itself and renders my game unsalvageable. I'm making a fresh install for backup purposes at the moment, then I'm going to make a dupe of it and slap the nosteam.exe from the egosoft site in there so I can have my regular modded game and I can also have a totally separate X-Tended install (and the aforementioned clean slate install too).

I also want to try the XRM Rebalance mod but I'm not ready yet to go down the rabbithole of having four separate installs of the same game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

MechaCrash posted:

You should definitely never sell that Prototype Nova, because it's the only one in the game, and it's better than the other Novas. Later in the game (and I mean much later), you can reverse engineer it so you can make more.

I would keep the Advanced Discoverer you're given for the same reason: it is the only one of its kind in the game. But it's an M5, and M5s are basically crap, so if you're strapped for cash and don't think you're going to need to cross the universe to undiscovered territory and then have your other ships jump to you any time soon, you can unload it so you can fart around on the stock market.

Or you can do what Hav did and sell the Centaur, since the Centaur can just be bought at a shipyard anyway. Or you can go directly to a Heavy Centaur or Skiron.

An even better reason to not worry about the Adv. Discoverer:

The Kestrel exists.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
If you're gonna diss the disco, me and you are gonna have words. :colbert:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

See? This is why X3 should have had multiplayer. High noon, Kestrels & Adv Discos at 30 paces.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I cannot imagine the clusterfuck that a multiplayer X game would be at launch.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

DoctorTristan posted:

I cannot imagine the clusterfuck that a multiplayer X game would be at launch.

Yes, this is true. I forgot that X3 was an Egosoft product for a while there.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I finally got my new computer and have been playing rebirth for a bit. For those few of you still playing this, what is the current recommended mod set?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So how is rebirth is it still poo poo?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Arghy posted:

So how is rebirth is it still poo poo?

It's not as bad as I thought it would be (high praise indeed :)). Flying around in space is quite beautiful and smooth. I've only played it for about an hour and a half, so take this with a grain of salt, but it feels like there's a whole world underneath waiting for me to figure it out. Of course, it's a world that contains very annoying "features" like my stupid looking and sounding co-pilot, retarded NPC interactions, and the ability of my ship to scan out to only about 1 km, but still... Hence my question about the mods, hopefully there's enough there to make the world more approachable.

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 30, 2014

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Unimpressed posted:

It's not as bad as I thought it would be (high praise indeed :)). Flying around in space is quite beautiful and smooth. I've only played it for about an hour and a half, so take this with a grain of salt, but it feels like there's a whole world underneath waiting for me to figure it out. Of course, it's a world that contains very annoying "features" like my stupid looking and sounding co-pilot, retarded NPC interactions, and the ability of my ship to scan out to only about 1 km, but still... Hence my question about the mods, hopefully there's enough there to make the world more approachable.

The flying around is generally considered the best part of the game, its everything else that is broken and terrible. On that note, did they finally figure out how to make a targeting button?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

SovietPotatoe posted:

On that note, did they finally figure out how to make a targeting button?

Not that I can find. On the other hand, combat seems pretty easy so far so no real need for one as of yet, but it would be nice to have for sure.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I put in about 30 hours into Rebirth because i liked the look of it.

The trading/upgrading/go point A to point B/walking around in stations to find idiot A and loot containers to make money all wasn't that fun.

My biggest issue is you're stuck in that albion skunk and the menu system was worse than X3: AP. The maps were worse also..

A really good review of it is if you load up steam, go to the rebirth purchase page, scroll down to the bottom and a guy has 200+ hours played wrote a nice review of everything wrong with the game and it's pretty spot on.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Worse than AP is right. If you want a new X experience, make a clean, unmodded copy of your X3TC/AP install, add the nosteam .exe from the Egosoft site, then throw X-Tended on top of it. It feels more like a proper X sequel than Rebirth did.

That said, if they could fix the stupid menu system, they'd be well on their way to making Rebirth more appealing.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 4, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SovietPotatoe posted:

The flying around is generally considered the best part of the game, its everything else that is broken and terrible. On that note, did they finally figure out how to make a targeting button?

The last patch release fixed the trading, and the majority of issues that we're cropping up around building. You can actually go full screen without the displays.

Targeting should be in the next patch, which I'm waiting for before sinking more time in.

Edit

quote:

Patch 1.24 RC4

• Fixed yet more causes of crashes (including some introduced in 1.23).
• Fixed "ghost targets" being displayed on platform (problem introduced in 1.23).
• Several fixes and improvements to manual target system.
• Added logbook entries for destroyed player ships, discounts/commissions and game tips.
• Added filtering by station/ship in trade offer menu.
• Added Hire option with negative response for certain NPCs.
• Prevented certain plot ships from being sold.
• Fixed problem with timing of money transfer to/from manager.
• Added means for NPCs to return to player ship from assignments.
• Fixed negative total yield amounts for asteroid fields.
• Fixed more inconsistencies in weapon counts.
• Fixed drone count calculation for ship trader.
• Fixed several issues with active mission/guidance info being disabled.
• Removed "taglauncher" from encyclopedia.
• Removed civilian factions from encyclopedia.
• Fixed several encyclopedia layout issues.
• Fixed incorrect cargo prediction based on shopping list data under certain circumstances.
• Fixed trade menus not keeping track of selected ship in some cases.
• Added default "protect" behaviour for ships in your squad.
• Improved capital ship fight behaviour.
• Fixed problem with ships not attacking.
• Fixed another cause of jumping ships ending up in invalid positions.
• Fixed player ship sometimes being in the wrong place after undocking.
• Fixed problem with engineer sometimes being paid twice for player ship repairs.
• Fixed incorrect player engine price calculation.
• Ships working for a station no longer sell wares to their homebase (goods just transferred, no money involved).
• Fixed cargo drones bumping into hull of mining ships and blocking trade.
• Reduced likelihood of mining ships transferring more minerals to a station than it wants.
• Added hotkey for docking (Shift-D by default).
• Fixed "keycode NNN" appearing in Options menu.
• Fixed problem remapping keys used in Detail Monitor (C, I and G)
• Changed resource cost for ship-building in Omicron Lyrae
• Changed ships available for construction in DeVries
• Fixed URV Wharf modile in Integrative URV Forge not producing drones
• Fixed scan sound being replayed for something that has already been scanned.
• Fixed scan highlighting not being properly removed when leaving cockpit.
• Fixed trade missions not completing.
• Fixed problem resulting in player getting stuck in Canteran air ducts.
• Fixed floating crate on Albion platform interior.
• Fixed floating ad signs and incorrect traffic at DeVries wheat station.
• Fixed DeVries shipyard interior orientation.
• Fixed lights in prison being too dark.
• Fixed bench obstructing hangar entrance of DeVries repair platform.
• Fixed NPC stuck in locker on DeVries repair dock.
• Fixed not being able to take cases out of cardboard boxes.
• Improved Russian localisation.
• Fixed another problem with borderless window mode on certain hardware.
• Fixed freeze and memory-related crash caused by ships shooting excessively under certain circumstances.
• More small performance improvements (in addition to those in 1.23).
• new in RC4 Fixed more causes of being teleported into the middle of nowhere on loading a savegame.
• new in RC4 Fixed problems relating to broken ship traders in DeVries (problem introduced in 1.23 or 1.24).
• new in RC4 Corrected some Russian texts (problem introduced in earlier RC of 1.24).
• new in RC4 Added shipyard to Gemstone Manufacture.

Hav fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 4, 2014

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

A really good review of it is if you load up steam, go to the rebirth purchase page, scroll down to the bottom and a guy has 200+ hours played wrote a nice review of everything wrong with the game and it's pretty spot on.

That one has scrolled away, I think. Can you find it and post the text of it or a link here?

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I went looking for this and found this guy. The X series has to be the only one where someone can play for this amount of time and still say the game sucks.

Yes he is playing it right now.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Well he is a dev, so that makes sense.

Probably not a dev.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Normally I'd suspect nearly all of it was idling to let his trading fleet do its work...but I can't imagine the autonomous traders actually working for that long without constant babysitting.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Does anyone know a way to prevent your trade ships from selling station produced goods past a certain threshold in X3AP? I have a solar power plant that has a tradeship setup with Sell Wares for Best price and I would like to prevent him from clearing out all the Energy.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Pretty sure one of the luckie(?) scripts offers features like that. If you aren't using them yet, install then asap and use them.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
It looks like OK Trader does what I want it to do. It has a a Minimum Stock setting for home based traders. Playing around with it now and will see how well it does.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=336509&highlight=dock+ware

Edit: Ok Trader works perfectly. It also gives me the ability to have a single ship for managing buying and selling for a station.

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 7, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Figure this is the best thread for this.

Loved Terran Conflict for space dickery. Story wasn't great, but who cares. Albion Prelude offered more space dickery so I also enjoyed it.

Decided to go back and pick up Freelancer, a game I never played, and uh, I'm not feeling it? I just cleared out some bandits and I don't see any reason to keep going. The environments feel pretty tiny, the galaxy map seems really constrained, and if the plot is going anywhere, it seems to be taking it's time. I imagine this game would have been huge back when it came out, but going back to it and comparing it to anything else just feels silly.

Does the story ever pick up? If it at least becomes somewhat interesting I may stick with it for a bit longer.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

In case anyone wants them, I zipped all the mods I use and uploaded them here. They're mostly ones recommended in the OP but are the latest versions as of 9/2/14. They all install correctly with the plugin manager except for Bounce, I think. One script you might miss is MARS, I use CODEA and MEFOS :shobon:

edit:

Rookersh posted:

Loved Terran Conflict for space dickery. Story wasn't great, but who cares. Albion Prelude offered more space dickery so I also enjoyed it.

Decided to go back and pick up Freelancer, a game I never played, and uh, I'm not feeling it? I just cleared out some bandits and I don't see any reason to keep going. The environments feel pretty tiny, the galaxy map seems really constrained, and if the plot is going anywhere, it seems to be taking it's time. I imagine this game would have been huge back when it came out, but going back to it and comparing it to anything else just feels silly.

Does the story ever pick up? If it at least becomes somewhat interesting I may stick with it for a bit longer.

There are some decent space battles near the end, but as I recall it's all pretty basic stuff. My mate and I played the hell out of Freelancer when it came out though.

jizzy sillage fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 10, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there a way to get borderless windows in X:Rebirth?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

One thing about Freelancer is that the story won't take you to see a large portion of the universe. There are entire systems you wouldn't even know existed if you don't do a bit of exploring on your own. A good trick is to use the map mode that shows NPC traffic - a lot of activity in a spot seemingly in the middle of nowhere usually indicates a wormhole or pirate faction base - some systems can ONLY be reached by wormholes; the jump gates only go to "civilized" areas.

It's worth checking out mods for the game as well. There are some pretty huge content mods out there that add a ton of new star systems as well as allowing you to purchase and fly capital ships and the like (although it's not like X3 where you end up commanding a whole fleet - you only ever get one ship at a time in Freelancer).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Rookersh posted:

Freelancer is pretty terrible tbh. There aren't many options for 'open world space dickery' unfortunately. There's some newish (<10 years old) games by various indie and eastern Europe devs of questionable quality (haven't played them yet), but really the only option out there besides the x series is independence war 2, which is my second favorite space game (after freespace).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am going to start playing this again.

I blame Taerkar.

:argh: MY LIFE

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Hello! Apologies if this has been answered again and again and again before in this thread.

I've decided to install AP again and for the hell of it decided to run the goon scripts found on page 1 of this thread. I've installed all the mods in the update pack too, ignoring the outdated versions.

Now, when I start the game I get told that there are a bunch of libraries that need a certain version or higher of that mod to run with 'this version' (no idea what that refers to, I assume it refers to the version of the game?) which includes stuff like CAG. However, it seems that CAG, or at least its menus, are present in my game and that I can fiddle around in them. Does this mean the fussy scripts are basically installed and working as they should, but are just throwing a fit, or should I go hunting for newer versions?

I'll fiddle around some more and come back if there are any horrible crashes or stuff missing.

Thanks!

E: Turns out I hadn't installed the 'behfelsbibliothek' (literally, the command library?) zip properly. Everything works fine now!

murphyslaw fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 24, 2014

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

MechaCrash posted:

That one has scrolled away, I think. Can you find it and post the text of it or a link here?

Couldn't find it either, but these guys pretty much summed it up also:

quote:

Sabrehawk
49 products in account
4 reviews

Not Recommended
73.2 hrs on record
Although crested with the great name of the X Series . This game is a different approach to the Space genre in which the original X Series takes place. Similar to ELITE or other sandbox type Space games.

One word in advance:
Do not exspect anything like the X Series you know abide the familiar Universe it takes place in.
Also it is frankly said very much dumbed down in terms of depth compared to X3 Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude. The player can only directly control his ship which can be upgraded with various things such as weapons,shields, engines,drones, etc. Most of these upgrades lack completely in variety though. Compared to X3 this is nothing but a arcady version of the amount of gear and weaponry that a player could aquire for a vast array of ship types which he could all fly himself or let the Ai control.

Having been in the pipeline for about 7 years (and that is a peculiar amount of time which does not reflect either in content or polish of the released product) X Rebirth was released late November 2013 and was greatly anticipated by the fan base and new players alike. It was quite a success commerically at start unlike the X games before.

But the policy of the Developer Egosoft and the Publisher Deepsilver not to send out playtesting promos to the Press and the concealment tactics of the Lead Developer on presentation in the media and on gamescom lead the trail of lemmings right to the slaughter.

Released in the EU for a hefty price point of 50€ which is far more exspensive than other similar productions of that proportion and in other markets like the US for only 30$ the price policy alone must give us thought, given the fact that the major fan base of X was always European sounds like cash cow milking and promoing the new markets with a lower price point.

Well if a developer thinks his game is worth 50€ then he better deliver on spot....no?

What the customer got on release day was nothing but a bloating mess of desastrous bugs,
crashes, plot stoppers.

Despite the old and dated directx 9.x based engine and the very strongly indicated signs of a failed XBOX360 development in the codebase the game looks very good but suffered and still suffers on various framerate issues an slowdowns on even the most powerful systems.

Some work has already been done on that with early patches..but still the game is released in a state of not being playable at all. All crtiic sites reflect that opinion.

Nevertheless it hurts to see the game series come to this point of cataclysm...
because the problem with X Rebirth is....you WANT to play it....you WANT it to be good ...and it keeps making you come back to it every now and then to check if things have improved. A lot of people might not have the patience.

My verdict after 50 hours not being able to complete the plot or enjoyably play a game in Free Mode due to bugs:

Do not pay full price for unfinished business. Wait at least 3 months and grab when deals are available and the most painful bugs have been hopefully ironed out.

My word to the developer... Repent and change your paradigm of how you interact with your fans
and how you release a product. Next time we want to see you go OPEN about it not in closed
off forums hidden away with a group of elite community people. No this needs EARLY ACCESS
and lots of input to be a better product next time.
Posted: 26 November 2013

and

these guys:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Couldn't find it either, but these guys pretty much summed it up also:

"lead the trail of lemmings right to the slaughter"

He has the very soul of a muse there.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Not a zero-content bump

quoth the egosoft posted:

Egosoft is pleased to announce the availability of patch 1.25 for X Rebirth, along with a preview of several projects to be released in the near term. This update is comprised of two sections. Section one is a quick overview of the progress of the last couple of patches, and an explanation of their main features. Section two gives a quick outlook on what is currently being worked on, and what can be expected over the next few months.

1. Patch 1.24 and 1.25

As always you can find the detailed changelog here. (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4214779#4214779) I have also prepared a short video explaining some of the changes to gameplay. Namely the new target locking and the trade agent, including the change to how smalltalk achievements work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4fPnSnBbrI

X Rebirth - Patch 1.25 New features explained

- Smalltalk used to unlock a random reward if you managed to convince an NPC on a platform that you had something interesting to say about a topic. With 1.25, the smalltalk mini-game still works the same way, but rather than getting a random reward, the NPC will now offer the player a choice. For example, if the NPC is a dealer of some kind, you can ask him to give you a discount, or you can ask him if he knows a qualified NPC for a certain job, and he will tell you where to find the best one in your vicinity. For example, the next time the player needs a good pilot, locating the best pilot on a station will be much easier.

- Another new feature is the ability to hire agents on stations which will make sure that you are always kept up to date on all trade offers from that station. This feature can be combined with the trade computer extension to minimize the need to collect trade offers on stations manually. There is also a new feature that allows the player to see all trade offers per station from the station's info menu.

- The target locking update introduces a secondary method of setting a target object which is very similar to the targeting functionality seen in the X3 games. You can now press Shift F to get a lock on the object closest to your crosshair, or Shift E to get a lock on the nearest enemy by distance. Once this targeting mode is activated, the player can press page up and page down to cycle through more objects of the same category in clockwise/counter-clockwise order (or in case of enemies: closer/farther-away target). The other methods of dealing with target locks still work in parallel, but before the event monitor can show environment objects again, the player must first release the last explicit target object - by clicking in empty space, for example.

2. The Near Future

Now let me list a few projects we are currently working on, and which will be released in some form over the coming months. Note that this is FAR from a complete list. The following are a few examples of the different areas being worked on, and they are vaguely sorted in the order they may be released:

- Support for Steam Workshop integration: We will soon start releasing a number of tools on Steam to help modders work on X Rebirth. We are also working on full support for the Steam Workshop in order to make it possible for everybody to easily install mods by merely subscribing to them, and by making it easy for mod developers to distribute their work through Steam.

- Map on event monitor: This was already mentioned before. The first step will be to enable the map rendering on the event monitor whenever it currently shows no signal. We will then introduce some configuration options so the player can decide whether to view the map zone map on the monitor or the current text information.

- Improved support for joysticks and other input devices: We are working on improving the input mapping menu and the general support for input devices. There have been numerous individual requests in this area, and we are trying to keep this as flexible as possible so X Rebirth can be configured to make best use of all kinds of input devices.

- Improvements to menus: Improving our menu system is a big task, but some features that we've heard requested often could materialize within the next one or two months. A good example of this is a more powerful text based filtering system for menus akin to the trade menu. After we have added text input menus for renaming your ship, the next step will be to enable this functionality in live menus allowing the player to filter quickly with their keyboard.

- 64bit EXE: Right now X Rebirth only runs on 64bit Windows because of the amount of memory required, but it is still a 32bit executable. We are experimenting with a new 64bit executable that could potentially improve several issues. Rolling out the 64bit EXE will probably happen as a beta in parallel to the 32bit EXE. Depending on the feedback, we will then gradually move away from a 32bit EXE.

- Providing interaction functionality with NPCs from space to minimize forced landing: I know many people do not like being forced to land on stations for frequently repeated tasks. The first step to address this will be to have a list of all NPCs on a station available from the station info menu, and to then make some activities possible remotely. You will still probably need to be in the vicinity of the station - so that drones can take over the transport of acquired goods for example - but you only have to land to play missions and to pick up or deliver people.

- Highway redesign: We've heard a lot of criticism on the way the highways behaves, so we are experimenting with radically different gameplay inside the highways. It's still too early to provide details, but as soon as we have a prototype, we will probably make this available as a beta. How soon this will then be rolled out for public release will then depend on feedback we receive.

Again: There are many other things we are working on. We will continue to add features and of course fix bugs. Please stay tuned!

- Bernd Lehahn, Managing Director, Egosoft

Bolding mine, I've included links where necessary.

If they can survive a year, they could make the game good, although I'm still not hearing anything about fighters.

OTOH, Elite should be out within six months.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Not a zero-content bump

Bolding mine, I've included links where necessary.

If they can survive a year, they could make the game good, although I'm still not hearing anything about fighters.

OTOH, Elite should be out within six months.

Aka: we saw how people have attempted to fix the most glaring bugs, and have incorporated the mods into the game, a la everything after x3. have a look at Rogueys site, he was one of the NDA testers and is understandably upset at the dogs dinner that was released.
Well, at least XR got me a little more interested in XML.

HappyHimmler
Oct 23, 2005
I hav never heard of zee Final Solution und hav no idea vat you are talking about!
Has anyone managed to take those huge-rear end M0 ships that were available in the xtended mod and port them over to x3ap? Leviathan, Olympus, non-ugly Valhalla, etc:

I was going to do it myself but figure I should try to save me some trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
X:Rebirth Patch

egosoft posted:

Patch 1.25 Hotfix 1 - 2014-03-10

• Improved stability of cutscene playback while on a platform.
• Fixed stuck drone production on URV Forge.
• Added French localisation for texts that were new in 1.25.
• Improved font for Russian localisation.

Fingers crossed they have more coming, because that's worrying.

• Locked thread