Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
There were quite a few of these treasure hunt books in the '80s, and I know that some of the treasures have never been found. Is there a comprehensive website that lists them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'm speculating that the gem in the New Orleans picture is a pearl, and that it's represented by the full moon in the clock. Are all of the gems birthstones?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

It's turquoise and it's the inset below the moon.

Whoops, didn't see that.

Did he specifically say that all of them were in the US? Because if he did, that would rule out Montreal.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
You just know that if a book in this genre came out today that all of them would've been found quickly by people working together on the internet.

And that the guy burying stuff would be accused of planting a bomb or something.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The Your City Sucks subforum might be a good way to spread the word around to people who are near possible sites.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=241

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The casks are all made of ceramic, so metal detectors wouldn't work. I don't know if there's any technology that could detect them that didn't exist 30 years ago.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Cask 2

That thing on the lion's head is shaped a little bit like the Holy Roman Empire. (Note that its borders changed quite a bit over the years- this is the closest one I could find)

EDIT: lemontiger's site has no explanation for that thing on the lion's head, for what it's worth.

There's also a big-rear end 36 on the right side of the lion's mane.

EDIT: "stone wall's door" in verse 7 is likely to be a reference to Confederate general Stonewall Jackson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_jackson

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 2, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Charleston's latitude and longitude are at 33 N, 80 W.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
That bird in the New York picture strikes me as being really important. Its head is so stylized, but its body is so realistic.

EDIT: Lemontiger doesn't mention the bird at all in his analysis, but he speculates the "Indies native" in the verse is a reference to Alexander Hamilton, who was born on the Caribbean island of Nevis and who was the namesake of Fort Hamilton.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Here's some analysis from someone arguing that 9 is St. Louis:

If there's any of these that we're completely in the dark about, it's this one.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Here's a picture of the "jewel box" in St. Louis:

EDIT: If you squint, that musical note in the flower could be a 90, which is St. Louis' longitude. Or maybe it's 67, 61, or an upside down 19.

2nd EDIT: The guy's nose might be the arch upside down.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 1, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

CronoGamer posted:

You're most likely right that the islands don't match up to anything in particular, especially since there really wouldn't be any island where the gemstone is hanging there. Oh well.

Two more things I was thinking about re: NY. 1) Do we know what kind of flower that is she's holding? It's not the state flower, that's the rose, so it's probably not one of the more general "this picture is about NYC" clues... it's probably a little more specific than that. Any flower experts able to identify it?

There's a birth flower in each picture, it doesn't seem to have any connection to the solution any more than the birthstones do.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

KennyMan666 posted:

Actually, there's one thing I can't remember seeing mentioned in the thread - in the picture for the seventh cask, there's a dog (?) head on the wall in the lower right. That has to mean something.

There are also a whole bunch of warped checkers around that dog's head- maybe they represent irregular city blocks?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What country was image 5 associated with, and did that have anything to do with the solution? I know that image 4 was associated with Greece, and the cask was buried in the Grecian cultural garden in Cleveland.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Fistgrrl posted:

Ireland. I don't get the countries either but the list is on the front page of the wiki: (scroll to Summary)

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148559/FrontPage

Edit: okay I guess a lot of these countries were important sources of immigration for the cities (Milwaukee=Germany, New Orleans=France, St. Augustine=Spanish). Still not sure where they're getting them assigned from. Chicago's should've been Poland.

Yeah, some others make sense (Roanoke was the first English colony in the New World, San Francisco has a big Chinese population) but others don't (Boston should be Ireland, not Italy; the Middle Eastern one should be Detroit)

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
That hand looks more like a werewolf than a zombie to me. And I doubt that the length of the track "Giant Step" enters into it- different sources can list song lengths by slightly different lengths.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Cask 7

Here's the part of the New Orleans picture that I think might represent city blocks:

Also, is there any significance to the first and twelfth pictures being much narrower, with rounded tops?

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 2, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Cask 12

There's a pretty famous restaurant in NYC called the Russian Tea Room, and it's pretty close to Central Park. Maybe it's a starting place>

EDIT: It doesn't really seem to match up with anything else that we've figured out, though.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 2, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I think that symbol might just be Palencar's signature, but it's tough to tell.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Has anyone actually tried to dig the remaining ones up and failed to find them?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
If you look closely, there's something in the waves near the bottom that looks like 74, which matches up with New York.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
N. O.

The object of Twain's attention has gotta be the Mississippi, I can't imagine it being something more obscure.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Well, the fatal car accident occurred in 2005, more than twenty years after the book came out. Maybe he thought that no one would care? Then again, the second cask had been found just the year before, so he must have known that there were a few people still interested.

Charleston

I found that Charleston is nicknamed "The Holy City" because it has a lot of churches. If my wild guess about the lion having the Holy Roman Empire on its forehead is right, maybe it's just a general hint towards Charleston and not something more specific?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
And Audubon Park is right next to the Mississippi River, the object of Twain's attention that "runs north".

Also, the park wasn't affected much by Katrina, so there's a good chance that it's still there.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 7, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Yeah, look at the outline of Ohio hidden in the Cleveland picture- it was dead-on, down to including the highways.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

dms666 posted:

I always thought it was a pelican/bird on its side. Alcatraz was called Island of the Pelicans

That's definitely not a pelican, its beak is tiny.

Has there been more progress on the New Orleans cask? I thought that Audubon Park was a great lead.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

xie posted:

It was years ago but as I said, the Cleveland solve was completely out of left field, someone basically came into the Philly thread (where people had already spent significant time on the ground) and said "uh I think it's here" and it still took quite a bit of photo convincing.

I was wondering how they ignored the dead-on Ohio map in the image, but then I remembered that there's a building called the Ohio House in Fairmount Park.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Yeah, I thought the legeater was part of some monument instead of just a regular lamp. It's gotta be a very specific clue, and I'm sure that the cask has to be very close by.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'd make a post in the Montreal thread in Your City Sucks asking for scouting help, but I think that someone else could probably do a better job of summarizing the situation than I could.

Also, here's what lemontiger thinks about Montreal:

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/montrealhunt.pdf

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Palencar still considers himself under contract and won't talk about any unfound casks, so bribing him is out.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
You have to wonder if any more of these would've been found if Preiss had matched up the verses to the pictures instead of letting the reader figure out which ones matched.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
It's entirely possible that there was a legeater near cask 9 that isn't there anymore. Still, I wouldn't rule Montreal out- I'd just keep an eye out for some others.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Canadian troops also liberated Holland in World War II, so there's another connection.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Did we get a good estimate of when the legeater lamp was built? Wikipedia says that Vancouver wasn't even incorporated as a city until 1886. If Cask 9 is in Vancouver and the legeater's a specific clue, it would probably be in the oldest part of town. And the legeater may be a clue that's not there anymore.

EDIT: George Vancouver, the city's namesake, was of Dutch origin. I should've guessed from the "Van."

Oh, and the square that the legeater cuts through also resembles this monument in Vancouver that Urban Smurf posted earlier. The legeater cuts through the square at about the same point as the monument, and it was erected in 1980, so it would've been pretty new when Preiss wrote the book.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 25, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that picture has always said, "Pacific Northwest" to me. New York just didn't give the right vibe. I've tried Seattle, Vancouver, Fairbanks, Juneau and a few others with it. Seattle and Vancouver both had a comfortable feel. A virtual walk through Gastown in Vancouver felt really good.

Vancouver is my first choice for that picture at the moment, but I'm not ready to start posting stuff about it.

There's nothing about the atmosphere of the solved ones that says "Cleveland" or "Chicago" to me. I doubt that most of the pictures are supposed to evoke the locations (the Florida one is a major exception)

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Do all of the sticks on the ground in the Milwaukee picture have any significance?

Also, the outline of Virginia in that one picture that we thought was St. Augustine is really convincing- it's about as close as the outline of Ohio in the solved Cleveland painting. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's in Virginia, though- maybe there's just something nearby that has "Virginia" in its name.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Oh, and the building with the outline of Milwaukee's City Hall looks more than a little like a cathedral to me, as in Cathedral Square.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Cosmik Debris posted:

Which one is that? I've been out of the thread for a while, but if there's something related to virginia I might be able to lend a hand, as a virginian myself.

The negative space between the rock and the tree on the bottom right forms the outline of Virginia. We're pretty sure that this is near St. Augustine, Florida, but Virginia's outline is pretty unmistakable. Maybe this was supposed to be in the Roanoke picture and ended up in this one by accident?

EDIT: This is stretching it a bit, but the negative space between the tree and the edge of the painting is shaped a bit like Tennessee- an interesting juxtaposition, as those states don't share that border in real life.

There wouldn't happen to be monuments to states in the park at St. Augustine, would there?

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I think that the white parts of the rock look a little like a coastline, but it could easily be nothing at all.