Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«694 »
NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The golden age of laptop gaming will come when we can get 1050 Ti - 1060 level performance in a thin-and-light. We're almost there, but not quite.

Does the XPS 15 not count?

E: or XPS 15 2-in-1 or Spectre x360?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

You mean the one with Hades Canyon? Can you really call it that, when it's still loving old-rear end GCN?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Pillbug

You mean like the entire rest of AMD's graphics lineup? This seems like a question of performance and form factor, why does the architecture matter?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Power consumption/efficiency reasons. No sense having a 1050ti equivalent if it's just going to suck the battery dry in half an hour.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

But does the XPS 15 with an actual 1050Ti in it not count?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

RIP ZEEZ

Or like, the Aero 14 with a 1060 and 7-8 hours of battery?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Are there any deals on a Windows laptop that is very lightweight (<3lbs), has a screen/keyboard that isn't hot garbage, with decent durability, for below $300?

64gb+ storage seems essential just to run windows, and I don't know if I can do any better than a Celeron and 4 gigs of RAM at that price point.

yes I have tried to talk my GF into just getting a chromebook instead but she has one and doesn't like it.

edit: the best I can find so far is the Lenovo 300e. IPS screen, 'education' tough design, newer Celeron, 64gb storage, touchscreen with hardened glass, folding screen nonsense for tablet use. $280 in stock here http://www.provantage.com/lenovo-81...us~7LENOAJE.htm with windows 10 pro (not 10 S, which seems to be the only way to get it from Lenovo directly).

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at May 24, 2018 around 18:48

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

But does the XPS 15 with an actual 1050Ti in it not count?

Agreed, we're already there. And if that doesn't work for you, you can always plug in whatever comes after the 1080 via eGPU in a year or two.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

What does a GPU improve besides gaming performance? I want to spend <800$ on something for streaming, surfing, and some light gaming (Sims and Diablo 3), and right now I've got a 7567 and a Surface in my sights. Will a GPU actually help for what I'm doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It will definitely help with gaming? 3D workloads are all helped by a dGPU, but if you're not planning on 3D modeling or rendering, you may want to check out his integrated graphics handle your favorite titles.

«694 »