Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Go to Reset PC and choose not to retain personal files.

That should leave it in the OOB experience. Be sure to remove the device from your Windows account afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

sirbeefalot posted:

Windows' built in reset has an option to remove everything, and there's a secure erase check as well. If you do that and set it up with a local account you can install whatever before selling it. If you don't connect to the internet during initial setup it should allow local account creation (and should allow you to delete all the shortcuts for Candy Crush et al before they're downloaded for the first time).

Awesome, thanks!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

Awesome, thanks!

And yeah, remove it from your Microsoft account after you wipe it, at https://account.microsoft.com/devices/ (I edited this in to my other post).

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
Researched for a month. Bought P53. Bricked after 1 week lmao

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Famine Poodle posted:

Researched for a month. Bought P53. Bricked after 1 week lmao

Welp;

What was the root cause of the brick? Hardware failure, operator error or other?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
What do folks think of the Legion 5 4800H/1660ti option for $1k vs the Eluktronics RP line?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm trying to help my nephew (age 10) get a gaming laptop under $1,000. In the research I have done, it seems the Acer Nitro 5 and Lenovo Legion 5 are recommended in general. Would either of these be a pretty safe buy and a good pick? He's save up money and he won't be buying another device for a number of years so longevity is one requirement.

If any other information is needed, let me know and I can find out. Thanks for the help.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How rough is this 10 year old on his (her?) stuff

Might consider a more rugged thunderbolt laptop with an egpu

I will catch some flak for mentioning egpu, but it'll allow them to upgrade their laptop down the road

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

me your dad posted:

I'm trying to help my nephew (age 10) get a gaming laptop under $1,000. In the research I have done, it seems the Acer Nitro 5 and Lenovo Legion 5 are recommended in general. Would either of these be a pretty safe buy and a good pick? He's save up money and he won't be buying another device for a number of years so longevity is one requirement.

If any other information is needed, let me know and I can find out. Thanks for the help.

I harp about it any time anyone mentions Acer gaming laptops, but the reason they’re affordable is that their QC is hot garbage. If you do get that one get it somewhere with a good returns policy just in case.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

How rough is this 10 year old on his (her?) stuff

Might consider a more rugged thunderbolt laptop with an egpu

I will catch some flak for mentioning egpu, but it'll allow them to upgrade their laptop down the road

I'm not sure. I can see my sister being pretty good about instilling good habits in him with a laptop, especially since he's saved up his own money to put toward it. If I can get a durable option to consider along with another option that would be great.

Also I have learned I am a bad uncle because I didn't know my nephew is actually 12.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 18, 2020

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

My wife's little side business is taking off and her 2010 MacBook Pro is struggling to keep up. I'm trying to figure out a new laptop that fits her exact use case:

- Larger than 13". This was her main gripe using the MacBook Pro.
- Really good screen quality / color accuracy for photo editing.

Budget right now is ~1000, give or take a few hundred. She isn't tied to OSX, but every Windows laptop I seem to find with a good screen + color accuracy comes with super high specs that she doesn't need. I'm thinking XPS 15, but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

kimcicle posted:

My wife's little side business is taking off and her 2010 MacBook Pro is struggling to keep up. I'm trying to figure out a new laptop that fits her exact use case:

Budget right now is ~1000, give or take a few hundred. She isn't tied to OSX, but every Windows laptop I seem to find with a good screen + color accuracy comes with super high specs that she doesn't need. I'm thinking XPS 15, but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Have you looked through Lenovo’s options?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I ended up getting a New Dell XPS 15.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

kimcicle posted:

FWIW the 2020 XPS 15 comes with God's Aspect Ratio (16:10), which is great for business productivity.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kimcicle posted:

XPS15, or just get a 15" macbook pro (i.e. last year's model, either used, new old stock, or refurbushed, doesn't matter) and write it off as a business expense, as god intended

I can't think of any laptops with excellent color reproduction off the top of my head in the PC space, besides xps 15

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm still trying to sell my XPS 9570 in SA-Mart if you're interested. I was gonna put it on eBay this weekend.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I'm still trying to sell my XPS 9570 in SA-Mart if you're interested. I was gonna put it on eBay this weekend.

Edit nevermind, I found it, thanks!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anybody know off the top of their head if the power adapter for my 2019 XPS 15 (7590 iirc) is compatible with a Latitude 5500? The latter is someone else's work machine so I didn't want to just find out the hard way.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Anybody know off the top of their head if the power adapter for my 2019 XPS 15 (7590 iirc) is compatible with a Latitude 5500? The latter is someone else's work machine so I didn't want to just find out the hard way.

Find out what the voltage and amperage (or wattage) of the Latitude's charger is, then look at the sticker on your charger and see what it says next to "Output". If the voltage is the same and the amperage (or wattage) is equal or greater (and the plug into the machine itself is identical), then yeah, it'll work fine.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 19, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Instant Grat posted:

Find out what the voltage and amperage (or wattage) of the Latitude's charger is, then look at the sticker on your charger and see what it says next to "Output". If the voltage is the same and the amperage (or wattage) is equal or greater (and the plug into the machine itself is identical), then yeah, it'll work fine.

It's a good checklist, but polarity needs to be on it. Polarity must match.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah I glanced at the specs from the manuals on Dell's site and while I don't know what the numbers mean they are different enough that I won't try. Thanks anyway!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's a good checklist, but polarity needs to be on it. Polarity must match.

I thought about including it, but then I thought "surely the same manufacturer wouldn't make physically compatible chargers but with reversed polarity for two different laptops"

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Cleaned my laptop's keyboard with water cause I'm really cool and smart and now half my keys don't work. Any recco's for a Toshiba something in the $400 range? Just using it for the usual garbage like zoom, netflix, etc. This one was refurbished and lasted 4 years so refurbs are fine.

edit: this is the one I had and looks like it's now 300, should I just get this lol

https://www.newegg.com/toshiba-tecra-z40/p/1TS-000F-00MV8?Item=9SIA3TXBDF6735&quicklink=true

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 19, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If it's just for Netflix, Zoom, and other light duties, at $400 you should be looking at a Chromebook

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If it's just for Netflix, Zoom, and other light duties, at $400 you should be looking at a Chromebook

I think right now I'm so busy I don't have the time or energy to learn a new OS, and after reading that OP it looks like there are a few things that it won't do it or I'd have to tinker with. There are a bunch of small but annoying priority programs I need for work that I'm sure were only designed for Windows/OsX and the op mentions specifically it won't run those programs or will have trouble with them. Definitely something I want to look into in the future though, so thank you for the suggestion tittiekisser69.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

thehandtruck posted:

Cleaned my laptop's keyboard with water cause I'm really cool and smart and now half my keys don't work. Any recco's for a Toshiba something in the $400 range? Just using it for the usual garbage like zoom, netflix, etc. This one was refurbished and lasted 4 years so refurbs are fine.

edit: this is the one I had and looks like it's now 300, should I just get this lol

https://www.newegg.com/toshiba-tecra-z40/p/1TS-000F-00MV8?Item=9SIA3TXBDF6735&quicklink=true
just grab a cheap t470 or t460 off ebay, making sure it has a 1080p screen and a webcam.

Maldavos
May 26, 2015
Grimey Drawer
Okay goons, I'm moving into a new house and eschewing my desktop gaming rig for a laptop.

I play mainly CPU-intensive titles, like MMOs (GW2, WOW) and strategy (Paradox, Total War). Refresh rates at 60 make me plenty happy. I'm looking for something with enough build quality that it will last me 5 years, and something that has a understated asethetic, plus great build quality.

Use case: music and podcast hearing, some light office work / writing, and dwarf-leveling.

I've narrowed it down to two, though I'd love other recommendations if you think they may fit my requirements better.

1. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14, AMD Ryzen 9 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q - 1TB SSD - Moonlight White ~$1600: The 14 inches is interesting, but I will likely never hook it up to an external display.

2. Razer Blade 15 Base - 15.6" 4K OLED Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 - 512GB SSD - 16GB Memory - Mercury White $2200: I'd like a bigger hard drive, but I can upgrade it later. The build quality and the bump in graphics is interesting and I'm comfortable parting with some additional cash for that, if it's a marked improvement.

I guess the question is basically: is the Razer enough of an upgrade to justify the additional $600? Will the build and graphics upgrade buy and extra year or so? Also: is there a gem out there that I should be considering alongside these two?

Thanks all.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Is the Asus still 1080p at that price? I tested that one out this past week before buying an XPS 15 and I wasn't really impressed by the screen. Also, no webcam if you need that for work.

Maldavos
May 26, 2015
Grimey Drawer

MichiganCubbie posted:

Is the Asus still 1080p at that price? I tested that one out this past week before buying an XPS 15 and I wasn't really impressed by the screen. Also, no webcam if you need that for work.

Yeah, I'm finding it in that range for the 1080p. It it looks like they have a version with a WQHD screen paired with a 1660i.

I'm okay with losing the webcam, no one will miss this mug.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maldavos posted:

Okay goons, I'm moving into a new house and eschewing my desktop gaming rig for a laptop.

I play mainly CPU-intensive titles, like MMOs (GW2, WOW) and strategy (Paradox, Total War). Refresh rates at 60 make me plenty happy. I'm looking for something with enough build quality that it will last me 5 years, and something that has a understated asethetic, plus great build quality.

I guess the question is basically: is the Razer enough of an upgrade to justify the additional $600? Will the build and graphics upgrade buy and extra year or so? Also: is there a gem out there that I should be considering alongside these two?

Thanks all.

Razers are really over-priced for what you get.

Not to mention the i7 Razer has worse CPU performance the G14 and half the size of the SSD. People are pretty much spot on how modern games can quickly chew up storage space. It's pretty much "contest" between the 4900 HS Ryzen and a intel 6 core i7 especially in any application that can use all 8 cores.

Not to mention going from a 2060 to a 2070 is not big increase in performance.

I know for my own replacement research for my 5 year old XPS 15 I eliminated Razer since the price range for my target specs was over budget.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 20, 2020

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I have the 1660ti G14 and it’s a great little machine. Got no complaints.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I think about 99.99% of all barrel connectors have negative barrel, positive tip

Also 99.99% of all laptop chargers are 19v

I've been swapping Dell power chargers between my 2014 dumpster dive Dell, my 2018 XPS 15 and my wife's 2016 interchangeably for about two years now with no issues

Dell would be in deep poo poo if their standard laptop charger connector would fry another laptop, as an enterprise laptop supplier

The said there's a tiny tiny chance that charger is the one undocumented negative tip charger they released in the last 25 years

Tip polarity is shown on the laptop as well as the charger, the symbol looks like a C- with a dot attached to the -. They need to match, that's all.

That said, you can just charge your laptop using USB-C PD/Thunderbolt port

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I had a charger for a 1998 era Toshiba laptop that matched everything but polarity with a ~2015 era Toshiba laptop. It obviously makes for a niche situation with the huge age gap, and it might be more standardised now. It just doesn't cost you anything to check and the consequences if polarity is wrong could be bad.

I guess also in the off chance that someone else looks at that checklist and doesn't catch that it refers to the implied specific circumstance of same-era, same-branded adapters.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I think about 99.99% of all barrel connectors have negative barrel, positive tip

Yup, still standing by this

Also, Toshiba exited the laptop business (sold to Sharp) something like 30 days ago, so should be less of a problem going forward

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hadlock posted:

Also 99.99% of all laptop chargers are 19v

Lenovo's are 20V

at least both of the ones I have on hand are

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not gonna get into this right now, but once you get above 5v, everything is negotiable, +/- 3v above 16v is considered within the margin of error

Even 12v batteries, 11.5-14.5v is normal, and thus "12v" systems need to accept a wide variety of power scenarios.

Arduinos famously even go up to 16v, according to spec

Don't get me started on solar stuff

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Feel free to get into it imo! I don't know much about electrical tolerances or w/e so I'm happy to be informed about this stuff

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
How is this price on a refurbished Thinkpad? I'm thinking about upgrading from a 5-year old Macbook Pro and want to go back to Windows. The only game I play these days is Magic Arena and maybe CK2 so just want something that has decent build quality. Or if I have 1-1.5k to spend on a laptop are you better off waiting a few months for any new releases?

https://www.adorama.com/le20qduslcr.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adun posted:

How is this price on a refurbished Thinkpad? I'm thinking about upgrading from a 5-year old Macbook Pro and want to go back to Windows. The only game I play these days is Magic Arena and maybe CK2 so just want something that has decent build quality. Or if I have 1-1.5k to spend on a laptop are you better off waiting a few months for any new releases?

https://www.adorama.com/le20qduslcr.html

You can also go "fishing" at Lenovo's refurb outlet store and it also provides a useful price comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Budget: $4000-4800
Purpose: Gaming laptop and video editing
15" screen (will have an attached monitor)

I'm looking for a 15" gaming laptop that can do video editing. From what I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong!) I'd want 32GB of RAM, 1TB SSD and a i7 processor. Is that right? For $4500 ish I can look at the Alienware m15 of this world, but are my requirements right?