Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Aren't there different IGPs in Haswell with greatly different capabilities? A chart would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Weinertron posted:

Odds are that whatever Haswell T-series Thinkpad that comes out in the next couple weeks will have the same 1440x900 dogshit TN screen, right?
If only. You'll only find 16:10 screens in Macs. The X230 has an IPS option and the W530 and T530 have decent TN panels. The T430 was the one with the lovely screen, which was 1366x768 or 1600x900. We can only hope that the 40 series has better screens.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Seagate and WD have released 5mm HD's:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6873&News=Seagate+5mm+Laptop+Hard+Drive+Ultrathin

So expect to see SSD adoption slowed a little bit more...
Isn't an SSD one of Intel's Ultrabook requirements?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Nope, but a 15' HDMI cable is about $10 on amazon, and will plug in to the back of most any modern TV. 40" gaming rig! You may need a $3 DVI->HDMI adapter if your card didn't come with one or doesn't have HDMI out for some reason.
That's fine if you're just playing games but you'll want to gouge your eyes out after trying to read a paragraph on a tv.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

2880x1620? Yes. Too bad about the aspect ratio. And the keyboard. And the ugly. And the trackpad/size/weight/heat/everything but the number of pixels on the screen.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3121_7-57587536-220/msis-haswell-laptop-comes-with-a-3k-screen/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Remember that it's a brand new $225 and some people are still buying the last of the netbooks for that much.
A brand-new 3-year-old laptop.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

There are many people who use a large TV as a computer monitor without any problems. Having trouble reading text? No problem, pretty much every piece of software that displays text (such as Word or Chrome) has really easy to use text-zooming capabilities (typically this is ctrl + scroll wheel).

Get a wireless keyboard + mouse and do your computing from the couch instead of a desk chair
Some TVs are better than others. The problem isn't the size of the text.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread

You don't have to worry about that poo poo with a monitor or laptop screen. In any case, I'd rather use a high-resolution display instead of a lovely TV with a terrible aspect ratio.

Speaking of high-resolution displays, I've been checking daily for news about a Haswell refresh of the Chromebook Pixel. Apparently Haswell has been referenced in Chrome OS code, but that doesn't mean much since Chrome OS can be run on other devices. The current one is tempting, but it only has 5 hours of battery life, which Haswell ought to improve. I shouldn't be this excited about a $1500 internet appliance. But it's the nicest internet appliance. And it can run Linux.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

So can other laptops and they do a much better job of it.
But do they have a 2560x1700 screen and phenomenal build quality?

e: also my italics indicated a hint of sarcasm but I really do want the thing even though buying a rMBP is probably a better idea.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 5, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I won't be in the market for one for a number of months, but what's the best bet for a low-power, high-battery typing device at absolute bargain value? So, a laptop or a bluetooth-keyboard tablet that will see many thousands of words typed onto it (and not used for anything else, barely even email) for bare minimum price. Is the Samsung chromebook the best bet still, or a Nexus 7 with a full-sized bluetooth keyboard..?
If you just want to type for a long time the Asus Transformer series have very long battery life (I think 18 hours?) since the keyboard dock houses an additional battery. There's a new one coming out soon with a 2560x1600 screen. I'm not sure how fun the keyboards are to type on, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

sports posted:

Thing will break like the back of an iPhone.
It's Gorilla Glass 3, which Corning claims is harder than sapphire. I guess that doesn't really matter if you drop it on the corner, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I had literally never heard of these guys making anything outside TVs before this. They do look pretty good, though. I do find it odd that your CPU choices are AMD or i7 and nothing else though.
The previous generation had i3s and i5s, but apparently they've been swapped out for AMD.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

As soon as one ThinkPad sale ends, another one begins, so don't worry about that. You also need to be using the link in the OP, which gives a pretty big discount. And you should wait for Haswell.

e: wow, they've updated the site and it doesn't run like total dogshit anymore.

e2: I take it back, it's still hosed up, just differently hosed up.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 11, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Are there any convertible ultrabooks that are similiar to a Macbook Air but with a touchscreen?

I basically want an 11" or 13" Macbook Air, with a touchscreen, Haswell CPU (HD5000 GPU) and running Windows.
Convertible like the Helix/Yoga/Surface or do you just mean a laptop with a touchscreen? This little dandy is coming out some time this year. The others will most certainly get Haswell updates as well.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

sports posted:

While touch-based interfaces are cool, the gimmick wears off quickly and you'll probably end up just using the laptop as you normally would.
Such is the fate of literally every touch screen/convertible laptop I know.
That's what a lot of people say that haven't used them (me included). Then you read reviews from AnandTech and people say they find themselves reaching for the screen to do simple stuff like scrolling more often than the touchpad. The thought of a fingerprint-covered screen doesn't really appeal to me, though.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Does the Air take an mSATA SSD, and is it user replaceable?
It's an mSATA SSD, but it's not a normal one. I think OWC is the only place that sells ones for the Air.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Clown Meadows posted:

Tossing up between a 13" rMBP or one of the new 13" MacBook Airs. Can anyone weigh in with some advice or things I should be considering?
One has a great screen and the other has great battery life.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

And XP goes out of support, like, any minute now?
Next April.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

No it's just the standard non premium one. It's not terrible, and weirdly seemed to get sharper aftet I updated the drivers, which I don't understand.
Well if you want to upgrade in the future it looks like the IPS panel is $75 plus shipping.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Perfect. That's a "no" on this system, then. I'd rivet my laptops to my desk if it didn't make them harder to clean.
Why do you want to pay more money for a computer that makes many compromises to be mobile and then not take advantage of that ability?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Short story is that my living space doesn't really allow for it.
http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/nuc.html

e: there's also iMacs and other all-in-ones.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Pretty much all of them are going to have touch screens. You're welcome to just ignore it and treat it like a regular laptop though, so I don't really see the problem :confused:
I'm betting he means glossy vs. matte.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus (great name ha) announced, 3200x1800, 12 hour battery, 1.4kg. I'm really hoping the battery life holds up; I was expecting new ultrabooks to be maybe 10 hours, given that the new Air is 12. Supposedly slightly better trackpad and keyboard than last gen Series 9, too.
So 1366x768 is dying. Next up, kill 16:9.

I'll take a 2700x1800 Haswell Chromebook Pixel, please.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hooah posted:

Because some of them come with it already installed? Why pay for a hard drive twice (well, I guess like 1.5 times)?
Because you can buy an SSD yourself for half the manufacturer's upgrade cost. Plus you still get the mechanical drive as a bonus.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

DrDork posted:

Not as much as you'd think, unless you never turn anything off. My whole desktop system (multiple HDDs, 7950, overclocked i5, etc) only draws around 350W under load, and idles at more like 100W.
Are you including monitors in this calculation? Mine use a bit over 100 watts each. Plus if you're running them during the summer, that heats up the room and your air conditioner has to work harder, using even more electricity.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Helix actually has a better screen, but that's about it. The MBA is less expensive, lighter and has better battery life. The Helix is a pretty terrible buy unless you need a tablet with a digitizer. For the price of the Helix you could get a MBA and a refurb iPad.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Civ5 will run acceptably on Low on the HD4000, that's the only taxing game you listed. The Air has a HD5000 which is supposedly ~50% faster real world.

I would pick up an external hard drive for $100 though. 256 is big for day to day word processing, but Steam games will fill up your drive rather quickly. DOTA and Civ 5 are each 8-12 GB, so that's 24gb (10% of your formatted drive) down the drain, not to mention OS, VMs, I imagine matlab is rather large as well.
256GB is more storage than my desktop has.

Master_Odin posted:

Secondarily, would 256GB probably be fine for a laptop so long as I don't try and install every game in the world?
Just install the handful of games you'll want to play at a given time and you'll be fine.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

He gave a use case of Steam games and I made the suggestion of an external drive based on actual use and numbers for the games he mentioned. What is your use case and question, if any?
I play Steam games on my desktop with 240GB of storage. I only keep 5 or 6 on at a time because that's all I play at a given time. When I get bored with a game, I uninstall it. My point was 256GB is plenty and an external drive is unnecessary.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

You'll need to buy another 4GB stick of RAM and install it yourself (it's easy). You might consider getting the 9-cell battery upgrade, too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Thanks, I have this in the OP now

Days since release? FPS in what and at what resolution?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Dangerous Mind posted:

First off, I know this is the wrong thread (maybe someone could direct me to the right thread because I sure as hell can't find it).

I'm kind of interested in getting a touchpad so I can surf the web and take notes on it for school. I saw some people using iPads, HP and Lenovo, but I really don't know which ones are good/best. I also don't know the price ranges on these things and how much I should be paying, aka what are competitive prices. Any help is appreciated.
You mean you want someone to recommend you a tablet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Somebody please help me pick out a laptop. I need an inexpensive computer (under $500) basically just for my online classes. Typing, internet research, youtube. That's about it, because I do everything else on my phone. Right now I have an old Macbook Pro and it's broken and makes horrible noises that drive me insane. So I need a new computer ASAP. Thanks!
Get a Chromebook.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Or a Nexus 7/Nexus 10 tablet with a "keyboard dock"
I guess that's ok if you want to have another thing to charge. Most keyboard docks are pretty lovely to type on, too. If you want a tablet with a keyboard, get a Transformer, as they're designed to work that way.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

sports posted:

I don't see the appeal of the laptop when there are MacBook alternatives that would blow the thing out of the water in terms of tech support and general laptop experience.
The appeal is "designed for gaming." You're not one of those people, and neither am I, but the Blade is pretty much made for the 40% of people who come in here looking for PC gaming on the go. Then again, most of those people have about $400 to spend so they'll end up buying a piece-of-poo poo Acer/whatever no matter what advice they get here.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LurkingAsian posted:

Apparently IPS is a LG trademark?
Nope. Still might be IPS, since IPS isn't something most people understand and hence isn't marketed as such, like on the X230. Could be a PLS screen, too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

sports posted:

I've heard that the 4x6 256 SSDs are very inefficient compared to 2x4 128 SSDs and 4x8 512 SSDs. You might want to just opt for a 256GB Air, because the Air uses a Samsung PCIe SSD that is much faster than the SATA III in other current laptops.
That PCIe SSD is v.nice and I hope we start seeing them in other machines.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

sports posted:

The difference is, with the MacBook Air you look at the exterior temp of 41* vs 90* exterior temp for the Clevo.
90°C on the external usable parts seems unlikely, even in a ~*gaming laptop*~. Isn't that hot enough to deform plastic?

InstantInfidel posted:

That's not true at all. Their last SFF design, the W110ER, was 11.6" and used a much weaker graphics card and multiple reviews criticized it for being nearly 100F under load in contact areas like the touchpad.
The 2013 MBA keyboard reaches 47.1°C according to the AnandTech review posted earlier, which is 116.6°F. What's the line for a comfortable keyboard? That's a genuine question, I really don't know.

e: oh poo poo I didn't read this page before replying, sorry.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 11, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

InstantInfidel posted:

I mean yeah, it does, but only under loads that seriously exceed what it was ever meant to do. The Clevo hits that doing things it was purpose-built to do.
But aren't those temperatures for both when they're running at full bore? Won't they both thermally throttle so they don't "exceed what they're meant to do"? I don't mean to say that a flaming hot keyboard is acceptable but if the device lets it happen isn't that normal operation?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

InstantInfidel posted:

That is when they're running at their theoretical max, yes, but a Macbook Air was never designed to be a performance machine. While it can handle that level of heat for a while, it wasn't intended to do so for extended periods of time. I would expect a gaming laptop with the purpose of running its hardware as fast and hard as it can for hours on end to have much, much better thermals than one of the thinnest notebooks on the market.
The W110ER also has a 45 watt CPU and 45 watt GPU, versus the MBA's 15 watt CPU+IGP, so there's a lot more heat to get rid of. I think having the same temp while pulling 3-6 times as many watts is "much, much better thermals," but it's still just enough to be bearable. Yet another reason why gaming/performance laptops are stupid.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

InstantInfidel posted:

What I'm saying is that one laptop hits that temperature doing things it was never meant to do and the other hits those temperatures doing things it was "designed" to do for hours on end. It's not a perfect comparison, but I think it sort of makes sense.
We're saying the same thing. A laptop doing more "work" only gets as hot as one that does less. I don't think it's possible to make a gaming/performance laptop that's both small and cool. I'm also going to make a subjective blanket statement and say it's not possible to make one that's good.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Really, it's "not possible to make one that's good and affordable.
Even the $2500+ machines have to make some kind of compromise on size, weight or battery life, which preclude them from being good¹.

¹ again, subjective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

MeaningOfLife posted:

$2500!?! What am I made out of money? I'm hoping to be in the $700 price range.

MeaningOfLife posted:

Money is not an object so please recommend away.
$700 isn't really that much to spend. You could get a T530 for that which meets all of your requirements.

Are there even any non-rugged laptops that weigh more than 10 pounds?