Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

Are you saying Acer is equivalent to Asus? I've always considered Acer to be bottom of the barrel in build quality and Asus to be a pretty reliable name. To be honest I havent seen any Acer laptops in person in the past 5 years or so, maybe I'm just being a fanboy?

No he meant Acer is not Asus, the poster above him had the two confused.

Also the new Aspire S7 is supposed to be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So there's pretty much no chance a higher-res Macbook Air is being released before the end of the year, right?

I am going to purchase a new ultrabook and while I love the 12-hr battery life of the Haswell MBA the screens on the Win8 ultrabooks are crazy good. And 7-8 hour battery life is still impressive (especially considering my 4 year old Thinkpad barely gets 4 hours even with a fresh battery).

So since all the new Haswell offerings are either out now or coming soon I'm thinking I might as well just buy one now. But if there is any indication of a MBA screen refresh I would put it off since I really don't need a new laptop until December.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

It's all just rumors right now, but wait until at least the 22nd. That's the supposed date for Apple's iPad announcement, and some other places are saying they're going to announce anything else they have for this year then too.

Thanks, I'm hoping we will be surprised with a mid-year refresh on the MBA. If not I'll go ahead and purchase a Win8 Ultrabook.

I think it's pretty much a given that the Macbook Pros will be updated, and both Microcenter and Bestbuy have all of the Macbook Pros and Airs on sale, so maybe just maybe!

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

AriTheDog posted:

This looks great. I can't find any pro reviews yet, let me know if you see any. This might be the laptop I buy.

Yeah, that's the one I'm looking at. Just waiting on reviews to see what battery life is like.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Naffer posted:

I'd actually be really surprised if those are the final prices. The $1200 one is $150 cheaper than Lenovo is currently selling it's i7/8GB/256GB First-gen Yoga 13 for.

Yeah, the price seems too good to be true so I went ahead and ordered one from BB. Worst case scenario the battery somehow blows or something else and I return it.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Stew Man Chew posted:

BestBuy will stock powered-down versions of non-Mac hardware for cheaper than list prices. Don't buy from them unless you can see the entire spec sheet beyond "i5 processor! ZOMG!" When I was buying back in 2011 they had some stripped out versions of the Samsung S7 priced well below what you could find online.

The specs from Best Buy match what Lenovo has on the website - QHD+, i7-4500, etc. so it looks to be the highest-end config available aside from the 256GB SSD. Here's hoping the order goes through okay. Wasn't this not supposed to be released for another week or two?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Bah the Best Buy order system is messed up now. Went to check out and said Amex wouldn't approve the charge, called them and said everything was fine and they weren't sure why it wasn't approved. I tried again but got an error saying it was removed from my cart due to high demand. Now it can only be purchased for store pickup but it's of course not available anywhere so it's not possible to actually order it.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Edit: The i5 version is still showing available for shipping if anybody wanted to try that.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 13, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I don't see anything on Lenovo's own website about it but Bestbuy has been selling a Haswell Yoga 11 for a few weeks now: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad...=6#tab=overview

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

This must be an error or something.

I thought so too but the reviews are all mentioning increased battery life and Haswell processors so who knows.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

That's still pretty crazy. Here's the i5 for $1000, which is equivalent to the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus that's $1400 (i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD). I still think it must be an error, but I hope not! Even if it is a mistake, there's another listing for that model that says "coming soon" and has the same price, so maybe it's a listed-too-early rather than a wrong price kind of mistake?

Yeah, I tried ordering one of the i5 versions after the i7 one wouldn't go through. I chose in-store pickup since it said a nearby store actually had one in stock, but I have yet to get the e-mail saying it's ready for pickup. I'm assuming it's an error as well but I'll probably head to the store tomorrow just in case.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

When did you do it? Those emails are triggered by an employee at the store verifying stock. They're not automated.

I did it before the store closed.

I actually placed two orders. The first one at about 4PM. After 2 hours with the order not showing up in my account and the order number giving me an error when looking it up, I ordered it again on a second account with a different credit card since it still said available for pickup.

For order #1 I finally got an e-mail saying that the order went through and that they were checking the inventory at the store. For order #2 I got an e-mail saying that the item was no longer available for pickup so I cancelled it. Now it shows that it's not available at the store for pick-up on the website.

So I guess sometime tomorrow I'll find out if order #1 is actually available or not.

My theory is that the display model got accidentally scanned in to regular inventory at that particular store which is why it said there was one available for pick-up. I'm assuming that they won't actually sell it to me but it was worth a shot.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 14, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Yoga Pro 2 Update:

Order was cancelled due to not being available in store last night.

Placed it again this morning at like 6AM because it still showed available for in-store pickup. Got the confirmation that it's ready to be picked up so I'm heading out to grab it.

Now both the versions of the Yoga 2 pro are showing not available for store pickup anywhere, so here's hoping they actually have it when I get there.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Well I really lucked out. I went to the store to pickup my i5 version and figured I'd check to see if they had the i7 version by any chance. Even though the website says not available anywhere within a 50mile radius they did have one in the inventory.

I'm on my way home with it now and I'll post my impressions later on this evening when I've played with it for a bit.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

LifeSizePotato posted:

Feel free to post initial thoughts and comments throughout the day, too! I've got a Surface Pro on preorder but I'm kind of torn. The Yoga 2 Pro seems like it has most of the Surface's benefits, and fewer of the drawbacks. I'd especially love to hear what you think of the screen and build quality, and how well it works as a tablet.

I definitely will. This is my first new laptop since I started my job back in 2009. The T500 I've been using is definitely long in the tooth.

Anyway, just got through the setup and stuff. It has 8.1 on it. 196GB free on the SSD. Total size says 220GB so I'm guessing there's a recovery partition or something.

Screen looks loving amazing, holy poo poo. Viewing angles are incredible. In desktop mode, the icons are set to the largest size and unlike some of the reviews I read on other QHD+ devices I didn't have to do anything to the mouse pointer settings for it to work fine in desktop mode. Maybe that's an 8.1 thing.

It's pretty useless in desktop mode at QHD+ though. I need to pull out my magnifying glass to use Chrome. So right now I have it at 2048x1142.

Build quality feels fantastic, definitely what you would expect from a high end lenovo. The hinge is solid and having owned Thinkpads exclusively for the past 10 years or so I have no worries about this one.

I'm charging the battery right now, we'll see what kind of battery life it gets. I'll be happy with 6 hours of web browsing.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Naffer posted:

Does changing the DPI work better than running non-native resolutions? How does the screen look at 1600*900 (1/2 resolution)?

What do you mean by changing the DPI?

Also I had it mixed up -

At QHD+ Chrome looks fine in desktop mode. However, it doesn't respond to touch well at all. Like I can choose bookmarks from the bookmark bar fine but when I try to click a link it doesn't register right. When I relaunch Chrome in Win8 mode touch input works fine, but then everything is tiny as hell at QHD+. I could zoom in but the bookmarks bar and address par are still tiny.

Edit: cold boots in 7 seconds jesus.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 14, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Naffer posted:

If you right click on the desktop and click screen resolution, then you get the following window with an option called "make text and other items larger or smaller"
I'm curious how usable it is if you change the DPI scaling from 100% to 150% or more using that option.

Oh yeah, that was set to the largest size by default. Desktop looks/works fine at QHD+, I got it mixed up in my earlier post. Chrome and Office 2013 at least look fine, haven't tried anything else.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

LifeSizePotato posted:

I wonder if most Best Buys have them in stock? I'm sort of surprised that they're available at brick and mortar Best Buys already but there's nary a review on the web. Don't the Verge, Engadget, etc. get review units ahead of time usually?

Not sure, it's worth a try. The inventory sticker thing on my box said it was shipped to the store on 9/30. They had one each of the i5 and i7 so I'm wondering if they were supposed to be display models or something.

I'm also pretty sure there's supposed to be a street date on them because it comes with Win8.1. My sales clerk was surprised that they had one since he never heard of it and double checked with someone else that there was no street date and that it was OK to sell so who knows.

The website was wrong about the inventory so if you want to try you'll have to go there in person and have the guy look up the SKU.

Edit: Touch input works fine on Chrome Canary so sweet.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 14, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Yeah, nothing is too small or anything. The only thing is a lot of stuff needs to be updated for this resolution. Chrome for example doesn't render text at this resolution so it's a bit grainy when I'm using it in tablet mode and have the screen up to my face.

Microsoft apps (including IE) look amazing though - basically everything in Win8 mode does.

Edit: I still can't believe I got this thing for $1,200. Absolute steal.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 14, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

You don't lose any legacy support though. Everything works fine, it's just the resolution isn't as high on some aspects. Doesn't make it unusable though, and it's still better looking than lower-res screens.

Edit: And yeah I would've bought a MBA if it had a higher res IPS panel.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 14, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

That depends heavily on the program you're using. Weird font rendering, stuff not scaling right, etc. is pretty common for older applications. It's rarely utterly unusable, but it's very often worse looking. I'd still say that it's highly debatable whether super-high-res screens are worth the money and reduction in battery life, etc., for the average person who doesn't shove their face into the screen considering that it doesn't even unambiguously make things look better.

Even the take rate on retina screens for Macs isn't that high.

Well yeah, aren't they like $1,000 more than non-retina MBPs?

And 1152p or 1080p are still options if the DPI scaling affects your use that bad. Then you don't have to deal with the scaling at all.

Like every other electronic device laptop displays are just going to get higher and higher in res, so UI scaling will eventually be a non-issue.

I agree, the merits of QHD+ are highly debatable though. I would've been happy with anything 1080p or higher at 13.3" as long as it was a high quality IPS panel, especially at this price point.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So I got roughly 6 hrs of battery life doing mostly web browsing. This was at balanced power settings with screen brightness at 50% (which is plenty bright) and the keyboard backlight on.

Tomorrow I'll use it in power save mode with the screen brightness down and the keyboard backlight off to see what I get.

Does anybody know if there is a program out there that will let me do battery run-down tests under different conditions? I'm assuming that's what reviewers do but I'm not sure what they use.

Edit: also, theoretically should lowering the resolution to 1152p increase the battery life at all?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

mewse posted:

Chrome does high DPI in metro mode but in desktop mode it's stretched, so I disabled stretching in the shortcut and just zoomed to 150% inside chrome

Yeah, the only problem with that is that the address bar, bookmarks bar, and menus are really really tiny at QHD+ when you disable high DPI scaling.

Gwaihir posted:

FWIW I think Firefox's High DPI support is a lot better than Chrome ATM.

Thanks, it may be worth switching over to temporarily...I just have all of my chrome stuff synced between all of my devices. Hopefully it'll be updated soon.

DrDork posted:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/benchmark-laptops-battery-life-battery-eater/

Lowering the resolution shouldn't make any noticeable difference if you're just doing web-browsing and the like: the GPU isn't really taxed by pushing a larger desktop, especially compared to the energy draw of pretty much every other part of the laptop. Turning brightness down will make a much bigger impact.

Awesome, I'll run some tests tonight/tomorrow and give you guys an update.

MatCauthon posted:

How's the wifi on the Yoga 2 Pro?

I'll test it around the house tomorrow. I've just used it in my office which is on the same floor and probably 40 feet away from the router, so I've had 5 bars. Any wifi signal software that you can recommend for me to see some actual numbers?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Okay so I'm not sure how this compares to recent trackpads because I'm coming from a 4 year old T500.

That being said, I think the trackpad is pretty great. My finger glides easily and two finger scrolling is really smooth and works flawlessly.

I think I read somewhere the trackpad is smaller than the old Yoga 13. Compared to my T500 the trackpad is pretty big, but it would be nice if it were bigger especially for pinch to zoom. But that's not something I really do on the trackpad much.

The click mechanism is great as well - awesome tactile feedback and isn't too easy nor too hard to press.

Keyboard is also fantastic. Much better than my T500's. Absolutely no flex at all, the keys are a good size, and the backlight is nice and even. Key travel is great considering how thin it is. I already type better on this than my T500. I also love how the top row function keys don't require the Fn button so you basically have dedicated volume and brightness keys as well as some others like an app switcher, trackpad disable, and airplane mode. This could be annoying though if you use the F keys a lot because those need the Fn key.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I ran a web browsing test on the Yoga 2 last night. Same script that notebook check uses in their reviews that loads a new page every 40 seconds. At the same time I ran the Battery Eater "idle" test so I could have it track the time.

I had the laptop set to Power Saver mode. Brightness was at 30% (105 nits) and the keyboard backlight was off.

For some reason the test stopped at 7% instead of fully draining, but when it stopped it was at 7h55m. So if it were fully drained it would be roughly 8.5 hours.

As for the display, here is the brightness/black level data at the 10 different presets:

Brightness is pretty great, but as you can see the black levels could be better.

I also have some noticeable backlight bleed at the bottom left corner. Noticeable enough that I might exchange it at some point.

Overall the display is pretty great though, and the viewing angles are ridiculous.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Try out inSSIDer and see what kinds of numbers you're getting at various distances, if you wouldn't mind. Do you know if it sees 5GHz networks?

No, it's the single band 7260 card unfortunately.

I get 5 bars everywhere in the house, including the opposite corner of the basement (router is on the corner of the second floor). Lowest signal was -60 dbm.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Naffer posted:

I wonder if it's removable. I wouldn't mind dropping in the AC card.

Yeah it should be a Mini PCI-E card. You can get the dual band AC card for $30 on Newegg.

Hadlock posted:

I wonder if you bought their display model on accident. Especially since they only had one in stock.

Take some close up pics of the trackpad, and a side by side pic of the same colorful picture displayed on your new vs old laptop under regular lighting would be interesting.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. They had exactly one each of the i5 and i7 models.

Here's an album of comparison images. I'm sure you can figure out which one is which. Brightness was set to 100% on both.

http://imgur.com/a/TPSOT

As I said before the black levels are a little bit disappointing but the rest of the display is fantastic. I'll wait to see what others report and if it turns out my panel is worse than average I'll exchange it.

Oh and a minor nitpick that I just discovered: The SD card slot isn't very deep. Half the card sticks out. Not sure if that's the same on the old Yoga.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 15, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Socrates16 posted:

Wow, night and day. My buddy has last year's model and I honestly thought it was pretty good. The new one looks much better.

To be clear that is not the Yoga 13 that I'm comparing it to. That's my 4 year old T500.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Update on Yoga 2 Pro battery and a mini review:

When looking at the log last night it counted the time in between it shutting off and me turning it back on again as part of the battery life. So obviously that skewed things a bit. Also I'm not sure if it's just a "feature" of Win8 or a bug with Battery Eater or something, but every time I run a test the battery goes to 6% an then shuts off. Looking at NotebookCheck's reviews the same thing happens in their tests.

So anyway, I ran a few more battery tests. The first was Battery Eater's "Classic" test which renders a 3D image (I set it to 3200x1800) that fully taxes the CPU/GPU. Brightness was set to 100% (354 nits) and the keyboard backlight was on. So this test is designed to give you an absolute minimum battery life.

The classic test resulted in a run time of 2h2m to 6%. So a full depletion would be about 2h11m.

Then I ran the web browsing test again, this time at 40% brightness though (142 nits) since I think that's a bit more realistic than 105nits. Same thing - it looped a series of web pages every 40 seconds.

This web browsing test resulted in a run time of 7h2m before it shut off at 6%. So at full depletion we would get just about 7h30m.

This is roughly 2.5 hours longer than the Yoga 13's battery life while having the same battery capacity and a much higher-res screen.

Compared to the competition, this gets almost an hour more than the only other QHD+ ultrabook, the Samsung Ativ Book 9+. Looking at other Haswell ultrabooks, it gets roughly the same battery life as the Aspire S7 (although the test methodology wasn't exactly the same since it was an Ars review but close enough) and 2 hours longer than the Vaio Pro 13, both of which have only 1080p displays. The only one that beats it is of course the Macbook Air (with a 900p display), although the Yoga 2 outperforms it in the "Classic" test.

So here are the positives after using it for almost 48 hours:

- Build quality is fantastic. Definitely what you would expect from Lenovo. The chassis does not twist/flex/creak in the slightest. The hinge is solid and going by my experience with Lenovo/Thinkpad hinges there will be no issue with it even after several years of use. The display does flex but considering its thinness I think it is acceptable.

- The keyboard is great. It's a bit shallow, but apparently improved from the Yoga 13 and considering the thinness of the laptop and the fact that it had to be recessed for use in stand mode, it's a lot better than I imagined it to be. The size and spacing of the keys is great, although the backspace and right shift keys are about 3/4 size and take some getting used to. The backlight only offers one level of brightness but it's not too bright nor too dim and is evenly lit. The top row function keys are great unless you use F keys a lot, which require the Fn button. There is absolutely zero flex in the keyboard, so overall typing on it is a fantastic experience.

- The trackpad is great as well. My fingers glide smoothly and two finger scrolling is effortless. The click mechanism is good as well, and there is no flex in the trackpad as reported in the Yoga 13.

- The screen, for the most part, is gorgeous. Colors are bright and accurate, covering the entire sRGB spectrum (if I used/interpreted my dad's Spyder3 correctly). Being an IPS the viewing angles are unbelievably good. Watching a 4K video even with Youtube's compression is mind-blowing. With a maximum brightness of 354 nits it is definitely usable outdoors and the glare isn't terrible considering it's a glossy touchscreen.

- Battery life, as mentioned above, is great and for the most part better than the competition. Especially when you consider the crazy resolution.

- Wifi signal is great, as I mentioned in my earlier post even being in the basement two stories below the router in the opposite corner of the house my signal level never went below -60dbm. It is however only a single-band AGBN card. But according to Intel the 7260 in this is mini PCI-e so while I haven't cracked it open yet it should be user replaceable if you want/need the dual-band AC capability.

- The versatility is not something I was specifically looking for in an Ultrabook, but I'm very impressed by it. I find myself using it in tablet mode a lot more than I expected, probably because the screen is so drat good looking. The stand mode is great too, and I can't wait to use it on airplanes since it'll be perfect for setting on the tray table and watching movies.

- Performance feels good, although I haven't done any benchmarks to get some quantitative results. For what most people use Ultrabooks for I don't think there is any real-world difference between this and the competition. There is absolutely no lag in the display in metro - swipes are smooth with no stutters, which was something I was worried about given the resolution.

The only negatives so far are:

- Contrast ratio. The black levels are much brighter than the competition so although the brightness is very good in a dark room the blacks are annoying. The contrast ratio of 454:1 is half as much as the old Yoga and significantly lower than the AB9+ (772:1). I'm really hoping that it's just my panel, because if the blacks were better I would give this thing a 10/10.

- SD card slot is only half-depth. So the SD card sticks out halfway when using it. This is a very minor nitpick, and actually I might be able to look at it as a positive because I know I will not forget to put my SD card back in my camera anymore.

- While it is thinner and lighter than the Yoga 13, it is slightly thicker and slightly heavier than the competition. But at 3.06lbs and 0.6" it's still very thin and light, and considering the versatility and build quality I think it's a very worthwhile tradeoff.

- The webcam is lovely.

- Integrated graphics aren't as good as they could be, but I don't think many people are buying Ultrabooks to game. I can play Dota 2 on it comfortably so I don't really personally consider this too much of a negative.

Overall I am extremely impressed with the Yoga 2 Pro. Especially when you look at the price, which if it ends up being correct, is hundreds of dollars cheaper than the competition.

If there is anything I didn't touch on here that you want me to talk about and/or test just let me know and I'd be happy to.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 16, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Lenovo just released their pricing.

As expected, the Best Buy price is either an error or they are undercutting Lenovo by several hundred dollars.

Lenovo's website lists the price for the i7/8GB/256GB at $1,499, compared to $1,199 at Best Buy for the same specs.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That's because Lenovo hasn't put it on "sale" yet. As soon as it's available the price will drop. There's already a banner at the top that says "SAVE UP TO 17% on select Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro" which puts it at $1245, and it should be lower on the B&N site.

Oh yeah, I just noticed that. I didn't realize they put their brand new stuff on sale from day 1.

I haven't bought my own laptop in like 7 years - is it more recently that Lenovo has become so price competitive? No other ultrabook comes even close to the Yoga 2 Pro in price.

Edit: The maintenance manual was released, the SSD is mSATA and the WiFi card is mini PCI-e. The ram is unfortunately soldered on the motherboard.

Edit2: Full pricing for all models, including applicable discounts is here.

i3/4GB/128GB: $1,099
i5/4GB/128GB: $1,149
i7/8GB/256GB: $1,499
i7/8GB/512GB: $1,599

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 16, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

TasogareNoKagi posted:

You can't (trivially) install 3rd party wireless cards in Lenovo laptops. The BIOS/UEFI will prevent you from booting if it detects a card without the "Lenovo OEM" secret sauce.

e: Previous post about this here.

Oh that sucks. They don't have the 7260 AC card in any of their products, do they?

Stew Man Chew posted:

Awesome, thanks! What sort of bloatware comes loaded up on the Yoga 2? Is it stuff you can safely and easily clear off with decrapifier?

I haven't tried decrapifier, I just manually uninstalled all of the Lenovo programs that were installed. They were mostly metro apps.

I did uninstall the Energy Management software, and realized that for some reason it is what triggers the keyboard/trackpad to turn off in stand mode. But everything else was uninstalled with no issues.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Oh my, I have a $300 BB gift card that's unusable to me basically because I never really shop at BB.

The Yoga Pro 2 is tempting, indeed. May even sell my rMBP and use it full time...I just don't know if I can lose the trackpad on the MBP.

Looks good from here and it's in stock all around me (both 128 & 256). Hmm, what's the catch?

Is the SSD partitioned to hell and back like the original Yoga?

I don't know what the original Yoga was like.

Mine came with:

C Partition: 220GB
D Partition: 4GB (with about 1.5GB of Lenovo drivers)
Recovery: 11.54GB (empty)
Recovery: 1GB (empty)
OEM Partition: 1GB
EFI Partition: 250MB

So out of a 256GB SSD it came out of the box with 195GB free space.

Edit: as far as the catch, I dunno. I posted a pretty hefty review a page back or so. I like it, I don't think there's any catch for me personally, and the price is far better than anything comparable on the market.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 16, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Oh fan noise is really quiet. When just web browsing it's basically silent and I can only hear it if I put my ear close to it. Under load it's just a faint noise.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

shodanjr_gr posted:

So are the Yoga 2 Pro's storage and RAM upgradeable or are they soldered in? What form factor is the SSD in?

RAM is soldered SSD is mSATA.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Aww, poppycock. This was pretty much a day one purchase for me as soon as it was going to be available over here.
Now I'll need to wait for Lenovo to sort it out.
If you look at the photos in the forum thread, the color distortion surely seems inacceptable.

Way to go, :toot:

The quoted link is no longer working for me, if you go through the lenovo forum search, the threas is still available:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Re-Yoga-2-Pro-13-Yellow-Color-Issues/m-p/1270427#M7930

Yeah, it looks like it's on all of them.

Not sure what I'm going to do with mine yet. It hasn't bothered me yet since I didn't notice anything was off until I read those posts, but now that I know about it I'm focusing on everything that's yellow now. And I'm sure it effects movies and stuff which I haven't done yet.

But at the same time all the other ultrabooks are a few hundred dollars more so I'm not sure if it's worth exchanging it for something else. The AB9+ also apparently has the same issue, although not as severe.

I guess I'll wait until my return period is up and make a decision then. Who knows, maybe Apple will surprise everyone with a retina MBA on the 22nd.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So Lenovo is formally looking into the yellow issue on the Y2P.

However, it seems like it's definitely software related. The Lenovo Energy Manager, when set to High Performance mode, makes the yellows look normal. So I just keep it in "high performance mode" but adjusted the power settings when on battery power to be basically the same as "balanced" mode.

Edit: I'm going to do another web-browsing test over night to see what effect this has on battery life at the same brightness.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 19, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

I am the proud new owner of a Yoga 11s and I have no early idea what all the hubbub about yellows are. :shrug:

It's a fantastic build and great hardware for the right price. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but I think it ought to be the default non-Mac non-work machine suggestion.

They yellow is an issue with the new Yoga 2 Pro, not the 11s.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

singe posted:

Is it okay to buy the Yoga 2 yet, or are there still unresolved issues? I also can't seem to find one of the new Yoga 2 with these specs.

All the stores around me seem to be out of stock and it looks like buying one directly from lenovo with similar specs is about $300 more?

The yellow issue appears to be software but there's only a stop gap fix at the moment. That's really the only issue that's popped up. I heard one person who said their keyboard backlight was uneven but I don't think it's widespread.

And yeah for some reason Lenovo's sale doesn't apply to that one. But a lot of people (myself included) bought that model from Best Buy even though the website said out of stock. I'm not sure if that's changed now since I think it's officially released. But you might want to try going to the actual store and having them look up the SKU.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

68Bird posted:

I have a 2011 13'' MBA that's been getting increasingly lovely battery life, and I've also been more than a bit frustrated with performance when occasionally trying to work with large photos in Lightroom and Photoshop when I'm away from my desktop. I realize I'm definitely asking more from this machine than it's intended to do, so I've been lusting for the XPS 15 and it's sweet sweet display, but it's really more of a want than a need. In most cases, I'd be content to wait until I could use my more powerful desktop, but that drat 3200x1800 display is hard for me to ignore. To those of you that have the Yoga Pro 2, is the display THAT awesome in general use? Is anyone here using it for semi-serious photo editing?

I'm coming from a 15.6" 1280x800 display, so my impressions of it might be a bit more skewed than if I were coming from something with a higher PPI.

That being said, the display is loving awesome. I'm spoiled by "retina" phones and tablets and it's awesome having that kind of experience on a laptop. In laptop mode the difference between QHD+ and 1080p is probably not too different considering it's a 13" display, but I use it in tablet mode fairly frequently so it's closer to my face a lot. Everything in metro mode looks amazing and Windows 8.1 handles scaling really well for desktop mode.

I definitely wouldn't use it for photo editing unless a permanent fix for the color issue is released. I'm pretty confident there will be one though since Lenovo is already officially aware of it, it appears to be software-only, and it is their flagship consumer ultrabook device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Well, if cranking up the power alleviates the problem, isn't that indicating that maybe the high pixel density is lowering the brightness, making this a hardware issue?

No, because the yellow issue is fixed even after you lower the brightness again. It's just something that the "high performance" mode specific to Lenovo's Energy Manager software changes in regards to how colors are displayed.