Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey, so my old dell m1530's second hard drive finally hit the dust, and I decided that it was time for an upgrade. What I want is a 14-15 inch screen, with the ability to play league of legends at good fps, and also be able to handle steam streaming. It also needs an hdmi port and sd card reader. My absolute max is 800 dollars, but the cheaper the better. After asking around a bit, people suggested an Acer aspire v7 582pg. Is that a good choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Hey guys, about month or so ago, one of the plastic bits that protect the hinges on my acer v7-582pg broke. I tried to glue it back on, but no dice, so I left the hinge open. Fast forward to now, and the corner of my laptop where the hinge broke is suspiciously hot. It looks like that's a sign of the LCD panel starting to go, probably accelerated by the open hinge. I looked at my laptop today, and sure enough, a black triangle has started to appear in the corner.

I've used this laptop for about 3 years, so It's had an alright run if I need to replace it, but I was thinking of just replacing the screen. I use the touchscreen a lot, and I'm afraid that getting a replacement touchscreen on ebay will result in a worse touchscreen experience. It also looks like I'd have to replace the entire top of my laptop to fix the hinge issue as well, meaning that fixing it is going to run me about $150.

Has anyone had experience with replacing a touchscreen laptop monitor before? Did the touchscreen experience decline after replacement?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If it's an OEM part, it shouldn't make a difference. If it's a knockoff, your mileage may vary. It's not worth repairing at that price anyway, you can buy a whole working one for around $300.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACER-ASPIRE...mAAAOSw~fpZqiof

Hm, I didn't realize that they had dropped so much in price. There really isn't a point in fixing it in that case.

If I wanted to upgrade to a more modern laptop with the same important bits (1920x1080 touch screen, ssd, keypad), what should I be looking at? I know I can get something for real cheap if I didn't care about the touchscreen, but I've used it so much it would feel really weird to not have one anymore. The most graphics intensive thing I do on the laptop is just league of legends and various indie puzzle games.

e: one thing to note is that I'm frugal when it comes to hard drive space. It's perfectly fine if I only have a small ssd for OS and a 256gb hd for everything else

Argona fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 5, 2017

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Any reasonably modern ultrabook should do you fine, but you're going to have a hard time finding one with a number pad.

I'm not really married to the keypad if it'll save me some dough.

I have a micro center relatively close by and was looking at what they got, is this a good buy? The only thing is that i can't actually tell if it has a touchscreen :shobon:

e: it looks like it unfortunately doesn't, but is this the right price range for what I'm looking for?

Argona fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 6, 2017

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Argona posted:

I'm not really married to the keypad if it'll save me some dough.

I have a micro center relatively close by and was looking at what they got, is this a good buy? The only thing is that i can't actually tell if it has a touchscreen :shobon:

I was sort of thinking of trying to find a 14 inch laptop but it seems like the only thing available at my price point with the things i really care about (touchscreen, fhd, ssd) of 700 dollars is the mediocre lenovo flex.

So i'm probably going to run my current laptop into the ground, but when I'm ready to upgrade, I'll probably grab this one. It appears to be the latest revision of what i already have, and is also on reddit's reccomended list and whatnot

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Hey guys, I came in this thread about 2-3 months ago asking for a recommendation cause my laptop screen was starting to literally break at the seams, but i decided to hold off until it was unusuable. It's not quite there yet, but its definitely at the point where i can't use it on a bed or really anything besides a desk unless i want to be annoyed at random white flashes from exposed wire twisting and the general brokenness of it. So i'm back, with annual bonus check in hand. My budget is 1000 dollars this time. I have a dedicated gaming pc so I dont need a super powerful laptop, but it should be able to handle random indie games on steam, League of Legends (i know, even integrated can do it now) and optimally FFXIV.

I got very used to the touch screen on my old laptop, and I'm not really willing to part with it unless i'm getting some crazy deal (like that costco one I missed :( ). Having an extra hd slot would be handy so that I can cannibalize my old laptop would be nice too.

I live very close to a micro center and have access to a costco membership, so those are also both valid places to shop.

I was mostly looking at this one. Anyone have better suggestions? A 1060 laptop with touchscreen would be great, but I didnt really find one.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Prescription Combs posted:

I have the last chassis generation of that machine, same guts. It's pretty noisy and the battery life is pretty meh if that matters to you. Service manual on that one indicates it has the same cooling system.

With that said, the price on that one is pretty bad. I paid just a bit over $600(i5-7300hq, 8gb ram, GTX 1050 4gb, 1080p touchscreen) for mine back at the beginning of the year.

edit: Looks like HP has a special on their Pavilion Power laptops right now http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&catEntryId=1736153&quantity=1

double edit: You can sign up for their EPP then then stack discounted gift cards when ordering from them, FYI. EPP: http://hp.force.com/external/FriendsandFamily?jumpid=ex_r329_epp_Q49_052010

Uh, the one I linked has a i7-7700HQ, not i5-7300HQ. The same set up comes up to 900 bucks (pre gift cards), so microcenter is cheaper in that case. That being said, I can pick up the the 7300hq and a 4gb video card instead from the hp store for less than i was going to spend on the micro center one. Do i just buy the gift cards off ebay or wherever?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Argona posted:

I have a dedicated gaming pc so I dont need a super powerful laptop, but it should be able to handle random indie games on steam, League of Legends (i know, even integrated can do it now).

I did some thinking and realized that I probably wont really ever play FFXIV or anything actually intensive on my laptop, so actually even just integrated graphics would be enough. I figured that I'd rather put the extra money into upgrading the card on my actual PC. I was thinking about trying a full out convertible laptop this time around. Is there any preference between the various brands for a ~600-700 dollar convertible? I do like 15.6 inch, but I could be convinced to drop to 14 if there's a particularly good model.

edit: Is this a good deal? https://www.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-R15-Touchscreen-2-in-1-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---2GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100367231.html

Argona fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 21, 2017

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Atomizer posted:

I think that's the one my brother got (or a similar variant.) He likes his; the 940MX is better than an iGPU for light gaming. I don't know if I'd say $700 is a deal for that, but for a convertible with >8 GB of RAM and both an SSD & HDD, that's not terrible. Consider that the Acer E 15 with the 940MX I often recommend is around $500-600, and it's not a convertible, doesn't have a touchscreen, and I think just has a 256 GB SSD with 8 GB of RAM, but both at least have backlit keyboards. Also note that MX150 laptops are around the same price ($600-700 at the low end) so you'd get better gaming performance (or alternately, better longevity) but not in a convertible.

So if that thing has all the features you're looking for, sure, go for it, especially if you can get some sort of discount (cashback CC, etc.)

Pulled the trigger on it. Thanks a bunch!

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Hey y'all, mom wants a better laptop so I decided to give her my current one (an aspire r15, great model that i would have kept using for at least a few more years) and get a new one myself. Looking for a recommendation.

my budget is 1k, i could be convinced to stretch it a bit if the ideal option came by though

Things I care about:
Touchscreen required. im too used to using it with touch in bed now
good display highly preferred, i know that contradicts with touchscreen somewhat but hey, no harm in asking
maybe a ryzen 4000 model seeing as that just came out?

Things I don't care about
gaming. I have a pc that I use for all my aaa graphics nonsense. the only games i'd play on theroretical new laptop are stuff like slay the spire that can probably easily be handled with integrated
battery. I don't really take my laptop to places that won't have outlets

Argona fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 25, 2020

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Argona posted:

Hey y'all, mom wants a better laptop so I decided to give her my current one (an aspire r15, great model that i would have kept using for at least a few more years) and get a new one myself. Looking for a recommendation.

So I got off my lazy butt and did my own research, I was thinking about the 15 inch hp envy x360. Good model?

Also, i'm finding contradictory information about the ram being upgradeable or not, anyone happen to know the answer to that particular question? It's not a dealbreaker or anything if it isn't, just means i have to spend a bit more on getting 16gb rather than 8 and my own

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Are there any upcoming ryzen 4000/5000 touchscreen/2 in 1s in the 14-15 inch range that have a decent quality screen? The lenovo flex and the current hp envy only have a 250 nit screen. My current laptop works fine for my needs of light gaming (indies and the occasional league of legends game, for reference) and browsing so no rush but the battery is toast.

e: I guess an intel model would be fine too, but from what i understand the ryzens are ideal for midrange price-wise.

Argona fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 24, 2021

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Anyone have experience with using the HP extended warranty? Got tired of getting refurb acers that die in 3 years and ordered the new envy x360. Goodbye stimulus money...

e: Actually doing a bit of research suggests that hp will give you a rebate if you buy the warranty and dont use it, anyone actually do that and get the rebate?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Mental Hospitality posted:

Notebook Check Review of the updated HP Envy x360 15.6in with a Ryzen 5700U. An absolutely stellar CPU, with a good screen, quiet cooling, and a nearly 10 hour battery life.

Sorry it is out of stock.

I had this laptop for a week or so, ended up returning it cause the cpu was a dud. It's a very nice laptop, but I'm kind of surprised that the review glossed over the glossy screen (heh). It's an absurd amount of gloss, to the point where its somewhat difficult to use in sunlight unless you crank up the brightness all the way. I can't really comment on the performance otherwise since the cpu was busted, but anyone looking at this model, just be sure you're okay with a super glossy (but also super nice colors) screen.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Anyone have opinions on the MSI Creator 15? Still on the prowl for a new laptop since my old one is dying. I value having a touchscreen and a bright screen, and maybe some gaming on the side. I got the new HP envy but it was a lemon and I rma'd it, decided on a full refund cause honestly the gloss on that screen was crazy, no real point to having a bright screen if you still cant use it outdoors cause of gloss. I also kind of wanted a bit more gaming-wise, as it didn't quite hit 60 fps in apex. Antonline has this version of the MSI Creator 15 on ebay, comes with last gen parts (10875H, RTX 2060) but otherwise seems to be a decent deal?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I've checked in a few times in the last half a year or so since my current laptop's hinge has started to go. so here I am again. Thankfully this time there are actually reasonable options.

My requirements are basically touchscreen (yes, I'm one of Those people) and good quality screen. My use cases are media consumption, learning data stuff/code and some light gaming. I tried out the hp envy but the touchpad was pretty crappy and had to rma it for other issues anyways.

I'm trying to decide between these two laptops right now. i'm fine with either 14 or 15.6 but i'd rather not go higher or lower. Anyone have a preference for either of these?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-z...p?skuId=6486651
This comes with a 5800h and a discrete graphics card. I would be able to use the card for sure, if only for playing genshin and esports games. Not in stock yet but I think it just came out so hopefully soon?

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-ideap....100794401.html
This is the alternative. Walmart has a similar model on sale for 1k but with a 256gb ssd which I'd have to replace. Not sure if having windows 11 is a plus or a minus for now. No graphics card but 16:10 and I think its supposed to have a 90hz screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I finally decided on which new laptop to buy (this one, touchscreen and good quality screen are the primary features im looking for so I can continue to not buy an ipad, and some decent gaming capability is nice too) Should I buy it from Amazon or Newegg? Sadly the model I want with the 1tb ssd and better processor isn't on best buy's website

e: I guess my real question here is if I have a problem, is amazon or newegg better at returns?

Argona fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 1, 2022